Homemade FE gifts - Part 2

Could you please tell me where you get the hardware for these? What is it called? And do you need to use a tool to clamp it?

I know I sound clueless, but it's because I am....lol

Thanks a bunch! Love these!

The key fob hardware only found on eBay last week I went to any places and the craft store didnt know what was that so I Orden them on eBay. And the ribbon It came very fast too.

The key fob hardware only found on eBay last week I went to any places and the craft store didnt know what was that so I Orden them on eBay. And the ribbon It came very fast too.

Ebay has them from someone. 25 keyfob hardware kits with 5 yards of webbing. is $16

various color webbing in 1 yard incriments.

Thanks guys! Finally found what I was looking for. Except I noticed the Mickey rings are gold plated, but I couldn't find the key fobs to match the color (they are silver)....So just doing the circular rings.....Bummer!

How many people are in the typical FE group? I'm seeing people make multiple gifts for one cruise and fancy things such as t-shirts and personalized tote bags!

There's twenty some staterooms and 138 people total in the FE group for my cruise and I'm just wondering if that's more than the usual FE group.

There's no way I could do all that for 138 people!!!!

My July cruise only has about 8 cabins w/ less than 30 people. I think it is all just a crap shoot. I am leaving out of NYC... I have a feeling that there will be a lot of 'new to DCL' individuals.

How many people are in the typical FE group? I'm seeing people make multiple gifts for one cruise and fancy things such as t-shirts and personalized tote bags!

There's twenty some staterooms and 138 people total in the FE group for my cruise and I'm just wondering if that's more than the usual FE group.

There's no way I could do all that for 138 people!!!!

I think the number really varies. On my upcoming cruise, we have 55 families, 61 cabins and over 200 people - some are really experienced Disney Cruisers and some are total cruise newbies. FE is fun no matter what!

Could you please tell me where you get the hardware for these? What is it called? And do you need to use a tool to clamp it?

I know I sound clueless, but it's because I am....lol

Thanks a bunch! Love these!

Hi there. Wow! It sounds like there will be a lot of key fobs going into FE's this year.

Here are the suppliers I used:
Ribbon - eBay: ribbon-scraps
Mouse split ring - eBay: wholesale-charm
Hardware & Webbing - sewphisticated stitcher or discount embroidery blanks

As for tools, I started using pliers with a washcloth to protect the hardware from being scratched. Then I found a flat jaw welding clamp from Harbor Freight Tools which worked just as well.

Have fun!
Elizabeth

MVFEGift.jpg

Hi there. For those who asked, the key fobs were much easier than I had expected. Using the 7/8" ribbon, I fused it to 1 1/4" webbing with 7/8" Heat n Bond, then stitched along both sides of the ribbon with matching thread on top and webbing colored thread in the bobbin.

Using a rotary blade, I cut the length to 11" and stitched the two sides together 1/4" from the ends. The key fob hardware then clamps to the stitched end covering that stitching. For ease of handling, I worked on sections of 44" at a time.

I love these key fobs!
Do you think these would hold up if I just glued the ribbon, without stitching? (I don't have a sewing machine).
Thanks!

I love these key fobs!
Do you think these would hold up if I just glued the ribbon, without stitching? (I don't have a sewing machine).
Thanks!

You could probably skip sewing the ribbon to the webbing if you used the Heat-n-Bond, however, I don't think they would hold up long-term without stitching the ends together. The webbing may fray or the side that the hardware teeth don't grab may come loose.

Maybe do a test. Then tug, pull and otherwise give it some wear and tear to see the results.

Good luck!

Honest opinion... My cruise leaves in 37 days so I'm majorly running out of time. This is my first Disney Cruise and first FE exchange. I am planning to do one per person. That's about 170 items. I can't go too big or I will go broke! :goodvibes With the help of the DISigns board, I was planning to do something like a matchbook(small from a restaurant) with an individual lifesaver or mint inside. It's the DCL theme with either Mickey, Minnie...on it. Is that too cheesy/cheap? Should I try to do something else too? All these gifts look amazing! I don't feel mine is adequate enough... :guilty:

Honest opinion... My cruise leaves in 37 days so I'm majorly running out of time. This is my first Disney Cruise and first FE exchange. I am planning to do one per person. That's about 170 items. I can't go too big or I will go broke! :goodvibes With the help of the DISigns board, I was planning to do something like a matchbook(small from a restaurant) with an individual lifesaver or mint inside. It's the DCL theme with either Mickey, Minnie...on it. Is that too cheesy/cheap? Should I try to do something else too? All these gifts look amazing! I don't feel mine is adequate enough... :guilty:

I think it sounds really cute. For us it is not really about the gifts (although some are great) My DD just loved that there was something in her FE and for us it was also getting out and around the ship. I say go for it.:thumbsup2

I have so many ideas in my head that I can't decide on which one I want to make for the family gift. So my thoughts are either:
a. a memory word book "Dream"
b. an autograph/scrap book
c. a 6x6 calendar that would double as a scrap book. The calendar would be for 2013.

If you were cruising with me which one would you want? I know it's hard to decide without a pic but I have not created one of each yet.

tia

May I ask where you got your charms from? You did a really great job.

Yes! They are all off Ebay, shipped from China - so it takes a while. Then the bottle caps for the key chains are actually in the scrapping section at craft stores. I removed the sticky part & on the back side stuck a DCL logo (the same as the one on the bows) & covered with an epoxy dome :)

I can probably trace back the seller name if you are interested?

Yes! They are all off Ebay, shipped from China - so it takes a while. Then the bottle caps for the key chains are actually in the scrapping section at craft stores. I removed the sticky part & on the back side stuck a DCL logo (the same as the one on the bows) & covered with an epoxy dome :)

I can probably trace back the seller name if you are interested?

That would be great. I have a partial idea for the future and they would work in just right.

Hi there. Wow! It sounds like there will be a lot of key fobs going into FE's this year.

Here are the suppliers I used:
Ribbon - eBay: ribbon-scraps
Mouse split ring - eBay: wholesale-charm
Hardware & Webbing - sewphisticated stitcher or discount embroidery blanks

As for tools, I started using pliers with a washcloth to protect the hardware from being scratched. Then I found a flat jaw welding clamp from Harbor Freight Tools which worked just as well.

Have fun!
Elizabeth
Ebay has someone selling 25 keyfob and hardware kits with either 5 or 10 yards (your choice of like 20 colors) of webing.

I know the 5yd kit is $11+shiping.

Luggage tags that you laminate, laminated bookmarks are fairly easy. For bookmarks, you can get a laminating pouches for like $20 that can easily accomodate various bookmarks per letter sheet. You can create it in powerpoint or Photoshop or something.

Also, luggage tags are like 50ct for $15 on Amazon. That includes the loops too.

Or you can buy from amazon or OTC or elsewhere, pens and put a clear label with the dates, or a flashlight with the info, etc.

OTC has this cute treasurebox for like $12 or so and it was for 12. it came with jewels and other decorations. Perfect for a "treasure chest" theme. Too late for me to order it though. :(

Image2.jpg

Image1.jpg

Image.jpg

Some key chains & matching American Girl doll & girl bows:goodvibes

Love them all!

I have never made bottle cap anything before but have been inspired so my plan is to make necklaces and magnets. I found plain bottle caps on Amazon and conveniently, the epoxy coverings and magnets were right there :)
However looking at your things, I realize I will need to buy jump rings (I think that's what they're called??) to attach the ribbon for the necklaces. However I have no idea what tool is needed to make a hole in the bottle caps! Would you be able to tell me what to purchase (and if you have a link to Amazon, that would be great, too!!)

Of course I have to find someone to make the bottle cap pictures! I have no idea how to do that, either! I did stumble upon someone on the DISigns board but don't remember how I found that board and now can't find it!!

We sail July 8....I think I have enough time!!

Thanks for any advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!