Homemade FE gifts - Part 2

Sorry all! I just saw the posts about the passport cover tutorial not working - that is so weird. I can;t get into it now either. Maybe all you DIS crafters were crashing the blog and she added a password! HA! Who knows...

anyway, I found this one. Pretty close. Dimensions slightly different - you still start with a 6in x 12 in rectangle (same as other). the only difference in the one i made was that one side you fold in 1.75 inches, the other side 2.25 inches.

Let me know if you have questions!

http://jembellish.blogspot.com/2011/07/passport-cover-guest-post-tutorial-from.html

Kim :)

concerned about theft on ship, awful, i know, but something to consider.

Many people are saying they use the plastic ties to tie on the fish extenders, but if there's ribbon too, can't someone just cut through the ribbon if they want it bad enough?

People are just too callous these days and even on a Dis ship you can't be sure. Just hope none of our gifts mysteriously walk away either.

any other ideas of how to really secure the fe? guess you could put the strap tie through the fabric itself somehow.

Many people are saying they use the plastic ties to tie on the fish extenders, but if there's ribbon too, can't someone just cut through the ribbon if they want it bad enough?

People are just too callous these days and even on a Dis ship you can't be sure. Just hope none of our gifts mysteriously walk away either.

any other ideas of how to really secure the fe? guess you could put the strap tie through the fabric itself somehow.
I zip tie the FE but only through the ribbon. I doubt someone would want my personalized FE. But I have heard of some people putting gifts in then the recipients saying the never got them. Very sad. :sad2: We don't want to have to check it every hour for gifts. Suggestions? :scratchin

It's funny you said this because I thought the same thing. I assumed I was being overly paranoid and didn't say anything. :rotfl:

But, for my solution, instead of using a dowel in the top pocket, I used a stiff piece of plastic tubing (plumbing supplies) cut to the width of the FE so it doesn't show on either side. I put that in the place the dowel would normally go and then threaded some colored 12 gauge wire (jewelry making supplies) through it and will use that as the hanging part and zip tie it to the fish. Where the wire connects to itself will be inside the tube. Someone would need to either spend some time or have wire cutters to get it off.

Like I said, probably paranoid and overly cautious on my part, but mine is Mickey themed and not personalized.

We got something like this on our last cruise. It had a picture of the ship, along with the dates, printed on clear paper, cut into a circle and inserted into a small clear glass ornament. Unfortunately, it broke during the packing and travel home (and we were only half hour away). Take this into consideration if it is something breakable.

If you want to make an ornament that has a more stained glass look to it, print your image on Transparency Film (like used on an overhead projector), it too will roll up and fit into an ornament, just be careful not to scratch the printed side of the film.

Mini Chalkboards: painted chipboard w/ chalkbaord paint and papered backs w/ Disney paper. Added pirate ribbon and personalized w/ Fantasy 2012 using metallic/pastel velum markers (pink/silver/blue/purple/red-pink) that look chalk-like on the black background.

chalkboards by C8eOg, on Flickr

Mini Chalkboards: painted chipboard w/ chalkbaord paint and papered backs w/ Disney paper. Added pirate ribbon and personalized w/ Fantasy 2012 using metallic/pastel velum markers (pink/silver/blue/purple/red-pink) that look chalk-like on the black background.

I love them. What a cute idea and you did such a great job.

Love the ideas! I have a few months til the next cruise so now I must begin to brainstorm! Anyone else going June 15 2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean?

Our FE was fine and I didn't zip tie it or anything....and our room was literally just off the mid ship elevators!

However we didn't receive gifts from 2 families in our group (I only know this because our group was very small...10 cabins) and my daughter was excitedly taking pictures as she arrived back to the room and there was a
gift, so I know we didn't get a few things.

Perhaps stolen but we'll never know. I guess if you have a larger group, you wouldn't really notice because who's keeping track, but with a small group it was apparent.

It hadn't occurred to me to be concerned someone would take the actual FE. Ours was personalized so kind of useless for someone else!

My daughter was a little sad to not get all the gifts though, mostly because she helped me make some and deliver and she was surprised some would go missing!

My daughter was a little sad to not get all the gifts though, mostly because she helped me make some and deliver and she was surprised some would go missing!

That's too bad. I made quite a few smaller type gifts to give - I have the chalkboards for the kiddos and the notecards for the grown ups but I also made bookmarks last night with pirate riddles on them. I am going to laminate them and add those to the gift - I did a stateroom gift (a paperbag autograph album) for the families w/ kids and s'thing different for the adults but I want to make sure everyone gets a little something in their pocket so I have little gifts for everyone. I want to do a pirate creed but I'm having a hard time finding the paper - ?? I guess I need to try Kinkos - I've tried JoAnne's and Michaels and they don't have what I need. I'll post pics of the albums and the bookmarks when I finish them. I had a Disney book that the binding got completely ruined so I used pages from the book and it turned out really cute!!

C8eOg said:
That's too bad. I made quite a few smaller type gifts to give - I have the chalkboards for the kiddos and the notecards for the grown ups but I also made bookmarks last night with pirate riddles on them. I am going to laminate them and add those to the gift - I did a stateroom gift (a paperbag autograph album) for the families w/ kids and s'thing different for the adults but I want to make sure everyone gets a little something in their pocket so I have little gifts for everyone. I want to do a pirate creed but I'm having a hard time finding the paper - ?? I guess I need to try Kinkos - I've tried JoAnne's and Michaels and they don't have what I need. I'll post pics of the albums and the bookmarks when I finish them. I had a Disney book that the binding got completely ruined so I used pages from the book and it turned out really cute!!

For your pirate creed you can try parchment paper. They should have it at staples or office depot. I used it to make ages looking pirate maps for my sons birthday invites. I then tour around all the edges and used distressing ink to make it look aged. Hope this helps

For your pirate creed you can try parchment paper. They should have it at staples or office depot. I used it to make ages looking pirate maps for my sons birthday invites. I then tour around all the edges and used distressing ink to make it look aged. Hope this helps

Very helpful! I haven't tried those places yet. I tried the obvious craft stores but not the office supply places. Thanks! I will look.

Another option for aged paper look is to soak it in tea. The paper takes on the brownish color. When it's dry, you can burn the edges slightly. Looks great.

Extremely COOL ! Think there will be some excited kids on your cruise.

Hi DISsers!
This thread was really important to me in the days/weeks/months that I was deciding what to do for FE gifts, so I wanted to come back and "report":flower3:!
We did a one time gift bag for each member of the room, one bag for a "couple". The contents of each bag varied according to the gender and age of the person. Some of what we put in was bought stuff - candy/chips/superballs/gum/notebooks/crayons/pirate necklaces etc. The "special" things were the most fun to figure out and to make. All teens and adults got a lanyard keyring or zipper pull, made by my teens and some by me (only at the end did I agreed to learn to make them, too!). This is the group photo before putting them in bags:

FORPTR039.jpg

Also, we made up little cups of blue/white/silver sprinkles (Israeli colors) for putting on ice cream. I ordered individual packets of chocolate fudge and tied them together as an ice cream kit of sorts. Here is the "pixie dust" sprinkles:

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

Adults also got single-serve packets of Turkish/Greek/Mud Coffee - with these instructions on how to make it:

IMG_0846.jpg

Finally, with the help of the DISsigners and Vistaprint, I had these magnets made:

FEmagnet.jpg

MOSTLY I had FUN:cheer2:!!!!! It really was!

Hi DISsers!
This thread was really important to me in the days/weeks/months that I was deciding what to do for FE gifts, so I wanted to come back and "report":flower3:!
We did a one time gift bag for each member of the room, one bag for a "couple". The contents of each bag varied according to the gender and age of the person. Some of what we put in was bought stuff - candy/chips/superballs/gum/notebooks/crayons/pirate necklaces etc. The "special" things were the most fun to figure out and to make. All teens and adults got a lanyard keyring or zipper pull, made by my teens and some by me (only at the end did I agreed to learn to make them, too!). This is the group photo before putting them in bags:

FORPTR039.jpg

Also, we made up little cups of blue/white/silver sprinkles (Israeli colors) for putting on ice cream. I ordered individual packets of chocolate fudge and tied them together as an ice cream kit of sorts. Here is the "pixie dust" sprinkles:

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

Adults also got single-serve packets of Turkish/Greek/Mud Coffee - with these instructions on how to make it:

IMG_0846.jpg

Finally, with the help of the DISsigners and Vistaprint, I had these magnets made:

FEmagnet.jpg

MOSTLY I had FUN:cheer2:!!!!! It really was!

Hi Laurie,
Love your ideas...the sprinkles are fun....I bet there were jealous passengers at the ice cream station wondering why they didn't have sprinkles, too1!

I agree, it was fun making everything...Zoe was really into it!

Maura

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter