Homeless Encampments on School Grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
there's a STATE ordinance already in effect here in washington (rcw 28a.635.020) and it pertains to schools specifically-

Willfully disobeying school administrative personnel or refusing to leave public property, violations, when—Penalty.
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to willfully disobey the order of the chief administrative officer of a public school district, or of an authorized designee of any such administrator, to leave any motor vehicle, building, grounds or other property which is owned, operated or controlled by the school district if the person so ordered is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or is committing, threatens to imminently commit or incites another to imminently commit any act which would disturb or interfere with or obstruct any lawful task, function, process or procedure of the school district or any lawful task, function, process or procedure of any student, official, employee or invitee of the school district. The order of a school officer or designee acting pursuant to this subsection shall be valid if the officer or designee reasonably believes a person ordered to leave is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, is committing acts, or is creating a disturbance as provided in this subsection.
(2) It shall be unlawful for any person to refuse to leave public property immediately adjacent to a building, grounds or property which is owned, operated or controlled by a school district when ordered to do so by a law enforcement officer if such person is engaging in conduct which creates a substantial risk of causing injury to any person, or substantial harm to property, or such conduct amounts to disorderly conduct under RCW 9A.84.030.

the issue at hand is that the school board for that specific district does not want to utilize the means in which the officials charged with enforcement desire to enforce.

#1 Has loopholes.
#2 It's unlawful is meaningless without consequences i.e. charge of misdemeanor.

Like I said before the City Council needs to get involved and issue an ordinance that has harsh consequences. From what I read, the city is refusing to get involved. Since the city is refusing to get involved, local law enforcement can't do anything about it.

My sister used to live in the SF Bay Area, and would take BART into downtown SF for work. As of late spring of last year, though, she's no longer a SF Bay Area resident. She moved and left the state. She said that prior to the COVID lock downs, SF was no longer the beautiful city it used to be. You definitely needed your street smarts. Getting off BART at her stop for work often meant walking past and, in some cases, stepping over homeless people shooting up...some with needles still stuck in their arms while they've passed out from the heroin. We grew up in the SF Bay Area. When we were kids, our parents would occasionally take us up to SF for the day on a weekend...go shopping around Union Square.

These days? Union Square is pretty horrible. A couple of weeks before she moved, she went to Union Square w/a friend to go shopping. Some of the stores they went to were locked up during business hours. You had to knock and a store employee would unlock the door to let you in, and then lock it behind you.

Why?

Because of the homeless. The SF police no longer have the authority to arrest anyone. The homeless know this. A criminal can go into a store and steal what USED to be an amount of goods which would get you a felony conviction....now it's a misdemeanor. And the local courts basically dismiss all of the misdemeanor cases. So the criminals now just brazenly walk into stores with a bag, fill it up, then walk out and hand the bag over to somebody else who, in turn, gives them cash. Criminal drug addict then uses the cash to buy drugs. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Shop keepers call the police and the police won't do anything...won't arrest the person...won't tell the person to leave the store, etc. The criminals know this and take advantage of it.

My sister said that there is NO way she would feel safe now walking by herself in the evening in SF. No way. SF has now become a ghost town because all of the tech workers are telecommuting and, in addition to that, lots of people are flat out leaving the area forever because they're so sick of the filth, the stench of human waste, and the crime which the city does nothing about.

My sister has friends who live IN SF itself...their cars have been broken into multiple times. The police now tell citizens to not even bother locking your car. My sister knows people who have found homeless people getting high in their (the friends' car) car. If you call the cops? They won't come.

Home burglaries are also up, too. And don't forget the homeless pooping on your doorstep. Or leaving their used needles on your doorstep. The city has a multi-million dollar budget each year to just clean up human fecal matter throughout the city.

I'd love to take my kids to the Disney Family Museum that's in SF. But right now? Forget it. Not happening. I'd rather spend my vacation dollars somewhere else.

Seattle? Same problems. Portland? Same thing.

#1 Has loopholes.
#2 It's unlawful is meaningless without consequences i.e. charge of misdemeanor.

Like I said before the City Council needs to get involved and issue an ordinance that has harsh consequences. From what I read, the city is refusing to get involved. Since the city is refusing to get involved, local law enforcement can't do anything about it.

the city council won't do squat about it-they like the school board don't want to look like bad guys. i suspect that if parents of kids enrolled in that school took civil action against the district for failing to provide a safe environment some action may result. likewise-if just one staff member or student is injured or falls ill due to the known health and safety risks that exist due to this situation the financial implications might initiate some action.

the city council won't do squat about it-they like the school board don't want to look like bad guys. i suspect that if parents of kids enrolled in that school took civil action against the district for failing to provide a safe environment some action may result. likewise-if just one staff member or student is injured or falls ill due to the known health and safety risks that exist due to this situation the financial implications might initiate some action.
If the information presented in those videos is even moderately accurate (and I have no reason to think it isn't), I highly doubt any of the bolded would make a difference. Addicts, the dangerously mentally-ill and just plain old criminals are ruthlessly injuring/killing innocent people and each other with seemingly no consequences. It's really mind-blowing. :sad2:

If the information presented in those videos is even moderately accurate (and I have no reason to think it isn't), I highly doubt any of the bolded would make a difference. Addicts, the dangerously mentally-ill and just plain old criminals are ruthlessly injuring/killing innocent people and each other with seemingly no consequences. It's really mind-blowing. :sad2:
I agree. Politicians aren't afraid of lawsuits because they don't pay a penny even if the city loses. The city pays for their defense, and the city pays any judgement.

And there is no political risk; they are giving the people of Seattle what they want. They have the strong support of the general public in Seattle. They are not nut cases or out of touch -- they are giving Seattle what it wants.

My sister used to live in the SF Bay Area, and would take BART into downtown SF for work. As of late spring of last year, though, she's no longer a SF Bay Area resident. She moved and left the state. She said that prior to the COVID lock downs, SF was no longer the beautiful city it used to be. You definitely needed your street smarts. Getting off BART at her stop for work often meant walking past and, in some cases, stepping over homeless people shooting up...some with needles still stuck in their arms while they've passed out from the heroin. We grew up in the SF Bay Area. When we were kids, our parents would occasionally take us up to SF for the day on a weekend...go shopping around Union Square.

These days? Union Square is pretty horrible. A couple of weeks before she moved, she went to Union Square w/a friend to go shopping. Some of the stores they went to were locked up during business hours. You had to knock and a store employee would unlock the door to let you in, and then lock it behind you.

Why?

Because of the homeless. The SF police no longer have the authority to arrest anyone. The homeless know this. A criminal can go into a store and steal what USED to be an amount of goods which would get you a felony conviction....now it's a misdemeanor. And the local courts basically dismiss all of the misdemeanor cases. So the criminals now just brazenly walk into stores with a bag, fill it up, then walk out and hand the bag over to somebody else who, in turn, gives them cash. Criminal drug addict then uses the cash to buy drugs. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Shop keepers call the police and the police won't do anything...won't arrest the person...won't tell the person to leave the store, etc. The criminals know this and take advantage of it.

My sister said that there is NO way she would feel safe now walking by herself in the evening in SF. No way. SF has now become a ghost town because all of the tech workers are telecommuting and, in addition to that, lots of people are flat out leaving the area forever because they're so sick of the filth, the stench of human waste, and the crime which the city does nothing about.

My sister has friends who live IN SF itself...their cars have been broken into multiple times. The police now tell citizens to not even bother locking your car. My sister knows people who have found homeless people getting high in their (the friends' car) car. If you call the cops? They won't come.

Home burglaries are also up, too. And don't forget the homeless pooping on your doorstep. Or leaving their used needles on your doorstep. The city has a multi-million dollar budget each year to just clean up human fecal matter throughout the city.

I'd love to take my kids to the Disney Family Museum that's in SF. But right now? Forget it. Not happening. I'd rather spend my vacation dollars somewhere else.

Seattle? Same problems. Portland? Same thing.
You would think the local and state authorities would clean this all up. Should have never allowed it to start in the first place. I wonder why they did.

I agree. Politicians aren't afraid of lawsuits because they don't pay a penny even if the city loses. The city pays for their defense, and the city pays any judgement.

And there is no political risk; they are giving the people of Seattle what they want. They have the strong support of the general public in Seattle. They are not nut cases or out of touch -- they are giving Seattle what it wants.
:confused: How is it even possible? Person after person after person on those videos recounted the horror they have lived through at the mercy of the addicts and mentally-ill. They certainly don't support this ideology. Who are the people that do?

:confused: How is it even possible? Person after person after person on those videos recounted the horror they have lived through at the mercy of the addicts and mentally-ill. They certainly don't support this ideology. Who are the people that do?
The ones who annexed Capital Hill and continue to loot, burn, “protest”, etc. pretty much every day and night. They’re totally fine with the police doing nothing. They prefer it that way, and the politicians don’t want to get into a fight with people who are going to say they are racist, elitist, fascist, or some other insult du jour.

Agree. It stinks. No one will do anything until it's way passed the it's too late phase. Easier to bury heads or turn the other way vs. addressing truly what is actually happening and going on. It's frustrating for sure.

Our town, has a huge homelessness issue. The city gave them restrooms, water, dumpster, and food at encampments. Yet since there's a dumpster at the encampments for the homeless, others/outsiders are coming in and illegally dumping in the encampment dumpster. Because why should they pay if the homeless doesn't have to pay. The city council tried to get a hotel for them, yet the hotel is so run down and it isn't financially sound to proceed with that plan. Back to square one.

What also doesn't help too is that CA, OR, & WA have bottles/can deposit recycling. So in our area when recycling goes out, homeless comes in the neighborhoods and goes through the recycle bins and takes bottles/cans by the loads. Panhandling on every corner is accepted as well due to anti-panhandling laws and the protection of 1st amendment rights.

The same people that voted the officials into the positions, I guess, & just keep voting for more of the same for whatever reason.

It’s maddening. I can’t imagine anyone looking at cities like San Francisco or Seattle & thinking that anything about the current situations are ideal.

It’s maddening. I can’t imagine anyone looking at cities like San Francisco or Seattle & thinking that anything about the current situations are ideal.

The biggest problem in Seattle is not the homeless. It is that crappy 2 bedroom houses are selling for millions. Some dump like this place in the U District sells for $7.1 million dollars. Who pays $7.1 million dollars for a crappy house?

Seattle Real Estate - Seattle WA Homes For Sale | Zillow

This place was on a 0.1 acre lot. Why is someone paying 70 million an acre? I said 70,000,000 an acre.

and the crazy overpriced housing in seattle is what is driving up a housing frenzy on my side of the state. we were experiencing it pre-pandemic b/c seattle based employers discovered the staff they coveted couldn't find housing locally at the wages they paid so they offered telecommuting which w/our small airport afforded a 30 minute flight to corporate when needed. now that so many more employers are offering distant employment our already lacking real estate market can in no way keep up with the demand. it's not a matter of lack of affordable housing-it's lack of ANY housing.

The biggest problem in Seattle is not the homeless. It is that crappy 2 bedroom houses are selling for millions. Some dump like this place in the U District sells for $7.1 million dollars. Who pays $7.1 million dollars for a crappy house?

Seattle Real Estate - Seattle WA Homes For Sale | Zillow

This place was on a 0.1 acre lot. Why is someone paying 70 million an acre? I said 70,000,000 an acre.

Buying houses in Seattle and elsewhere is one of the few legal ways for wealthy (and not so wealthy) chinese to get their money out of china and into a secure western investment many of these houses are empty now. Vancouver had the same problem but they passed a law that non-canadians could not buy property unless they plan to live in it

This is a story about the homeless problem in Seattle. It should be a warning to other cities. It does have a glimmer of hope about what can be done to help. This story is 2 years old.
This was very powerful. Thanks for sharing it.

There does seem to be a disconnect between those who say this is just a problem of not enough homes, and those who say this is a problem of drug addiction and mental illness, etc.

Until that gap is narrowed, this problem will only get worse.

There does seem to be a disconnect between those who say this is just a problem of not enough homes, and those who say this is a problem of drug addiction and mental illness, etc.

Agree. It’s time for some there to wake up and smell the coffee. I will leave the actual smells unsaid.

The second video, produced two years later, shows the chilling reality of how the situation has “progressed”.

The ones who annexed Capital Hill and continue to loot, burn, “protest”, etc. pretty much every day and night. They’re totally fine with the police doing nothing. They prefer it that way, and the politicians don’t want to get into a fight with people who are going to say they are racist, elitist, fascist, or some other insult du jour.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement. It's time for people to stop being afraid and start speaking up. If we don't stand up for ourselves who will?

You have to remember that the video shows a handful of people out of a population of 700,000. The rest of the population doesn't care, so they elect officials who will do what they want them to do -- nothing but pose for selfies.

That's the good thing about a democracy -- we GET what we WANT. The tough part is that we DESERVE what we GET.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter