Hollywood studios?

Bean786

DIS Veteran
Best restaurant.. Do they have more then 1? Like sit down? And best treats.. Help!

in april 2012, we ate at Mama Rosa's (i think that was the name). it was pretty good. traditional italian menu.

We really liked our meal at 50's Prime Time Cafe. The food was good and the antics of the waiters make it a fun experience.

best treats is Starring Rolls cupcakes!!!!
We like Sci-Fi for lunch.
Brown Derby is the best 2 credit.

We also love si-fi best thing I feel is the burger and milkshakes. Also like 50 prime time cafe but more because of the atmosphere then the food however I think they have the best onion rings I have had.

For lunch SciFi is the best. its super quiet and dark, and cool. And the burgers and shakes are pretty tasty.

I find the menu at 50's too heavy for lunch. The atmosphere is cool thou. And i like the antics, IF your server plays the part of course.

Treats, nothing in particular stands out. I dont care for starring rolls cupcakes for some reason.

My favorite restaurant in terms of food (and hence, best to me) is the Brown Derby. The cobb salad is my favorite item on the menu.

If you're looking for somewhere fun to eat, with casual (but still yummy) food, I would think about Sci Fi. I enjoyed eating and watching clips from bad sci fi movies.

For treats, I also recommend Starring Rolls. They have really good cupcakes. Two that are my favorites are the peanut butter cupcake. It has chocolate cake with peanut butter inside.
DSC_1134_1_zps8388e963.jpg

Another yummy cupcake is the Pirate Ship treasure. It's a chocolate cake with chocolate pearls on top. It comes in a pirate chest with some other chocolate decorations.
DSC_1132_1_zps59e45b13.jpg

For a treat - red velvet cupcake at Starring Rolls. The turkey focaccia sandwich is tasty, too.

iphone077_zpsa29bb659.jpg

Best restaurant.. Do they have more then 1? Like sit down? And best treats.. Help!

Sit Down (aka "Table Service, "TS") restaurants in DHS:
  • Brown Derby: Signature dining. Upscale for a theme park. Pretty good to very good food, with an occasional dip into "excellent" territory.
  • Hollywood and Vine: Character Buffet
  • 50's Prime Time Cafe:-Themed restaurant taking you back to a family kitchen circa 1957-1967. Home-cooked style food like fried chicken and meatloaf. Simple fare, but they do it very well.
  • Sci-Fi Drive In Theater: Themed restaurant providing the feel that you are parked in a car at a drive in theater at night. Burgers, Turkey sandwiches, ribs. Reubens, milkshakes and the like.
  • Mama Melrose: Casual Italian in line with Olive Garden and Bertucci's. (Not intended as an insult.)

What is the "best"? Matter of opinion. That said, it is hard to make the argument that Brown Derby is not the best of the lot, but for the money charged, it ought to be. By far the most creative and accomplished kitchen.

Next for me would be 50's. Then comes a tie between Sci-Fi and Mama Melrose. Neither of these places wows me, but they are reliable and never disappointing.
Finally, there is H&V. Been there. Done that. No interest in returning.

If none of these interests you, the Boardwalk area restaurants are a short (5-7 minute) boat ride away or a slightly longer (7-12 minute) walk. Some of the finest restaurants in WDW can be found in the resorts and Boardwalk area.

Brown Derby is my favourite TS (if I am just traveling with my DH)
If our kids are with us then 50's prime time would be our top pick for a TS

we like: Brown Derby,Primetime 50s & Sci-fi diner.

Brown derby make a great filet mignon & the soup is awesome too
primetime fried chicken & PBJ shake is where it is at
sci-fi has good burgers & shakes too plus we love the ambiance

It depends on what you're looking for:

Hollywood and Vine: Character buffet (depending) with food that I've found to be the worst buffet food I've personally eaten at WDW

Brown Derby: Most pricey of all HS restaurants, but very tasty food and unique desserts (usually).

Prime Time Cafe: Unique experience (unless you get a dud server) and above average food for a theme park experience. Kitschy with a good peanut butter and jelly milkshake (if you like that sorta thing).

Mama Melrose's is okay in a pinch but I've had much better italian at Olive Garden (and that's not saying much in terms of being any better than home-boiled box spaghetti and jar sauce). No real great experience any of the several times I've eaten there.

Even though it's the coolest atmoshphere of any HS restaurants, Sci-Fi Dine In has mediocre food that is usually not as good as a Johnny Rockets. Since it is pretty cool visually, this place is doable but I wouldn't go here just for the food (I would be disappointed). Of the three times I've been, I once ate the chili which had the largest and chewiest beans I've ever had (the beans were literally as big as the head on my spoon), I had a raw hamburger that leaked blood all over my plate when I cut it (this place is not one where I'd ever eat rare meat), and the third time my burger was so greasy my hands were coated in the stuff. It looked like I had just given a lube job to a deep fryer. :rotfl:

Bottom line, if you want pretty good food and a unique Disney dining experience, go with Prime Time. If you're looking for the best HS food, go to Brown Derby. If you could care less about the food and just want a cool experience go to Sci-Fi and unless you're set on characters, avoid Hollywood and Vine imho.

Oh, and if it sounds like I'm picky, I promise I'm not. I love to eat. I'm an eater. I love food. More than people (usually). And I'm all down for some mediocre meals but I would prefer to have those at home where the price is right. When I'm on vacation paying an arm and a leg, I'd prefer to spend even a little more for some good grub.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter