Hollywood Studios Lunch

Never been super impressed with food at DHS (though Prime Time Café was pretty good (but that is TS).
My last TS meal (Hollywood & Vine) I was not impressed with .. even for a character meal. Just seemed odd. The theme of the restaurant (a diner) didn't fit the food (a nicer buffet) and you throw in Disney Junior characters ... it just didn't work for my family (and was too expensive).

Later that day we ate (out of desperation (it was pouring and we were leaving Muppets .. that was the closest place to eat) at Pizza Planet in the past. I assume Pizza Rizzo's is pretty much the same thing (just personal pizzas). Nothing special, but it refueled us and it was pretty darn quick though.

I'd try that .. just because it is new and seems to have better theming then Pizza Planet did.

We ate lunch at Backlot Express. My daughter (a huge Star Wars fan) requested it because they have the "dark side chicken & waffles". She was thrilled. :) We actually all ordered them and they were tasty - better then I expected they would be. We also liked being able to get refills on our drinks.

50s Prime Time is one of our favorite TS in WDW. If you don't get ADR when you want you can sit at the bar and order the same food. Its great.

Also I agree with PP that Hollywood & Vine leaves some to be desired. We went when it was NOT character meal, but certainly eat better elsewhere in WDW.

So I recently purchased some WDW food guides and I have to say that I am now really excited to try out some counter service items that I never even knew existed before. In the past we have always joked that the food at DHS is disgusting, but it seems we just didn't know where to look. My recommendation would be to look at every one of the menus at DHS (especially the counter services places) and see if you can find something a bit more unusual that sounds interesting.

We were there two weeks ago, and we got the Baked Potatoes down near Rockin Roller Coaster. They were SO good. They were huge and loaded and cooked perfectly. I was shocked, but I highly recommend them.

We like ABC Commissary for a quick meal.

We usually eat ABC Commissary as well. It's comfortable in there. Sci-fi is kind of weird becuase you can't actually look at each other faces, plus they have a very limited menu...it pretty much feels like QS. This year we are trying Mama Melrose for the first time.

We were there two weeks ago, and we got the Baked Potatoes down near Rockin Roller Coaster. They were SO good. They were huge and loaded and cooked perfectly. I was shocked, but I highly recommend them.
That does sound good! What were they loaded with & what was the cost?

My husband is a huge Star Wars fan, so we eat at Backlot Express because that's the only place with themed Star Wars food to my knowledge.

We usually eat at Mama Melrose sharing a flatbread and a salad . I like the look of SciFi's menu and may give that a shot .

We just tried Hollywood Brown Derby for lunch in December. I've never been thrilled with the dining options in HS, but we tried it since it was part of the 20% off AP promotion. They had a couple reasonably priced sandwiches on the lunch menu which ended up being what we ordered. DH and I both thought they were really good. The kids also enjoyed their meals.

We really enjoyed lunch at Mama Melrose when we were at DHS last month. The service was wonderful (Tammy took care of us, and she was great), the food was one of the best meals we had that week, and the atmosphere was nice even though the place was packed. By that, I mean the tables didn't feel too close together and it never became too loud. We were pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. We will definitely give this restaurant another try on a future trip.

We often eat at Backlot Express, decent QS burgers and they also serve darth vader waffles with chicken for a nice change. The cupcakes are very good, and the soda drinks are refillable. It opens earlier in December (11am) which suits us as we can avoid the crowds.

That does sound good! What were they loaded with & what was the cost?
Oops! Sorry - just saw this.
The had bacon bits, sour cream, cheese, butter. I think that's it. If I remember correctly, they were $8. But they were huge - my kids split one, and DH and I should have split one, neither of us finished ours.

To be honest, if you're looking for Quick Service, all I can say is that there aren't any options that we've liked. :(

If you're considering Table Service...
  • Brown Derby: best food quality in DHS, IMO; certainly more expensive than the other options
  • Sci-Fi: Best, most fun atmosphere with the nighttime drive-in setup; food is ok -- better in recent years than it used to be
  • 50's Prime Time: a lot of tasty options, environment/theme is also fun
  • Mama Melrose: food is "meh" at best IMO, and the service has always been SO SLOW for us; we're done trying it
  • Hollywood & Vine: never had a really good meal here; have only bothered when they have a special offering (e.g. years ago for a Star Wars Weekend themed buffet)

I guess I'm in the minority here, but because I always hang out on sunset (cuz I'm a ToT junky) its always some fruit and Rosie's for me. They used to have a whole half chicken there, but I think they only have nuggets now...bummer. Either way I likes it:thumbsup2

HBD and the lounge associated it with are the only places worth eating and the lounge is usually quite quick and not expensive at all. If not that, then perhaps hop over to the Swolphin/Boardwalk/Epcot area? I don't find HS a full day park at all, so hopping isn't such a big deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter