DIS Veteran
what do you put on yours- I’m making 8 this year

So far I have
- Mexican wedding cakes
- peanut butter blossoms
- gingerbread men
- sugar cookie cutouts
- chocolate peppermint chunk cookies
- split second cookies (basically lazy jamb thumbprints)
- meringue kisses

I need one more idea to add to this years trays.

In the past I’ve done chocolate crinkle cookies and cookies press buttery spritz cookies, but those are pretty similar to ones I’m already making. Need some fresh ideas.

What’s your favorite holiday cookie?

I always make Hershey's chocolate snow balls with Heath (and no nuts) - kids love them! I do a version of this one, but I don't use the nuts or use the kisses - it's a little more fragile and sticky until rolled in the powdered sugar, but so tasty...https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en_us/recipes/chocolate-snowball-cookies.html

I've also done a potato chip/pretzel cookie - it's from a magazine and not online, but this one looks close (and has a butterscotch frosting that seems even better than my recipe) - https://www.karenskitchenstories.com/2018/03/pretzel-and-potato-chip-cookies-with.html

melting moments, they do about melt in your mouth, and cathedral cookies, which are made with colored marshmallow that I normally don't care for. If I remember right they never go in the oven and are rolled in chocolate and coconut. Refrigerated, and then sliced. I bet there is a recipe online for these. My mother always made them, and I didn't end up with her recipe box.

Last edited:

It's not a cookie, but the most popular (and easiest) thing I make for Christmas is a pretzel/peanut bark. 1 cup peanuts and 1 cup broken up pretzels mixed into 4 cups melted chocolate (half milk/half dark), spread on a lined baking sheet and chill.

I always make Hershey's chocolate snow balls with Heath (and no nuts) - kids love them! I do a version of this one, but I don't use the nuts or use the kisses - it's a little more fragile and sticky until rolled in the powdered sugar, but so tasty...https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en_us/recipes/chocolate-snowball-cookies.html

I've also done a potato chip/pretzel cookie - it's from a magazine and not online, but this one looks close (and has a butterscotch frosting that seems even better than my recipe) - https://www.karenskitchenstories.com/2018/03/pretzel-and-potato-chip-cookies-with.html

I can vouch for the potato chip/pretzel recipe, although I did add extra vanilla and a touch of milk...and drizzled with a hot caramel ice cream topping vs making the frosting - they are awesome.

I have a sweet 16 murder mystery party for my DD's sweet 16 with make-your-own-cocoa with cookies galore (ala "sweet")...I made the potato chip pretzel cookies with caramel drizzle, snickerdoodles, Betty Crocker's bagged chocolate hazelnut cookie (surprisingly awesome), and triple chocolate chip cookies...I had the family taste them all, and they are all hits...and I figure cinnamon, hazelnut, caramel, and chocolate are classic cocoa toppings, so they will all "match" the cocoas, no matter what the kids make:)...

I can vouch for the potato chip/pretzel recipe, although I did add extra vanilla and a touch of milk...and drizzled with a hot caramel ice cream topping vs making the frosting - they are awesome.

I have a sweet 16 murder mystery party for my DD's sweet 16 with make-your-own-cocoa with cookies galore (ala "sweet")...I made the potato chip pretzel cookies with caramel drizzle, snickerdoodles, Betty Crocker's bagged chocolate hazelnut cookie (surprisingly awesome), and triple chocolate chip cookies...I had the family taste them all, and they are all hits...and I figure cinnamon, hazelnut, caramel, and chocolate are classic cocoa toppings, so they will all "match" the cocoas, no matter what the kids make:)...

Who are you kidding--is there any cookie that DOESN'T go with hot cocoa? I may have to do some research on this...

P.S. Don't overlook the classic butter cookie--another awesome accompaniment to hot cocoa!

Frosted Maple Pecan White Chip Cookies - delish!
Boozy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Monster cookies - always a hit for the kids in our house
Or add some fudge, divinity, chocolate covered pretzels - any of that kind of stuff

Pignoli
Honey Clusters (not a cookie but deep fried balls of goodness)
Spritz
Peanut butter blossoms
Sugar

Not sure what else. I miss lots of the stuff my mom used to make so if I find this one recipe maybe these other cookies, I think they are polish of which we are not.

The most “requested” cookies on my rotation are rainbow cookies (look like petit fours) and walnut or pecan tea time tassies. People gobble these down like nobodies business.

I agree about the chocolate covered pretzels, or even fruit, being delicious. Those are my favorites.

Well, my DH is temporarily out of work, so he's Mr. Cookie this year. He made spritz cookies with the kids last weekend. This weekend, it'll be gingersnaps and maybe a couple other types--chocolate chip only with seasonal M&M's are a possibility, as are Fudge Ecstasies (probably the most popular Christmas cookie in this house).

Some others I'll likely be making are:

Chocolate-Oat bars (they have a swirl of that simple fudge recipe running through them, but the oats make them a health food)
Buckeye Bark (Buckeye balls for the lazy--layer of melted chocolate on parchment, top with peanut butter filling, top with more melted chocolate. Cool, break, serves 1)
Chocolate dipped everything

We already have some snickerdoodles in the freezer from DH's baking binge.

These are all for us--I'll be making my version of Alton Brown's White Trash to send out to people.

Macarons - son made them last weekend and they were delicious. Lots of online recipes.

My DH always makes molasses cookies. Other than that, we do sugar cookies with thick icing, peanut blossoms and regular chocolate chip cookies, puppy chow (I use dry brownie mix instead of powdered sugar to coat it) and sometimes peanut butter fudge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter