Holding Spots in the Line. Flight of Passage, Slinky Dog Dash..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are the CMs when all this line cutting is going on? Doesn't Disney have a policy about this?
The CMs are at the entrance to the line and at the entrance to the ride itself. There is no one monitoring the actual line that I’ve ever seen.

The CMs are at the entrance to the line and at the entrance to the ride itself. There is no one monitoring the actual line that I’ve ever seen.

But for something like SDD, the line is so out in the open. Surely the CM with the "line starts here" sign can see when someone bypasses and walks into the queue.

But for something like SDD, the line is so out in the open. Surely the CM with the "line starts here" sign can see when someone bypasses and walks into the queue.
And we all know that CMs will go out of their way to avoid any form of conflict with park guests. If I see line cutters, I call them out and I'm quite loud about it. Doesn't bother me in the least and certainly doesn't ruin my day - letting them cut in line without saying anything would do more to darken my mood.

And we all know that CMs will go out of their way to avoid any form of conflict with park guests. If I see line cutters, I call them out and I'm quite loud about it. Doesn't bother me in the least and certainly doesn't ruin my day - letting them cut in line without saying anything would do more to darken my mood.

Is there anything anyone in line can do, other than try to embarrass the cutters? Because it seems like most people who are okay with line cutting are likely to be pretty well immune to public opinion.

You’d think.

In Pandora the line extends way past the first entrance and someone has a sign where the line forms but they do nothing to stop people from walking into the line right out in the open. Not that I’ve seen.

I’m sure if someone just outright cut the line without a family member already there someone would object and maybe a CM would do something.

I don’t think CMs do anything unless someone complains.

Last edited:
You’d think.

In Pandora the line extends way past the first entrance and someone has a sign where the line forms but they do nothing to stop people from walking into the line right out in the open. Not that I’ve seen.

I’m sure if someone just outright cut the line without family a member already there someone would object and maybe a CM would do something.

I don’t think CMs do anything unless someone complains.

When we were at FoP for RD, we were ALMOST the first in line. There were about 6 people in front of us when we entered the queue. But we got to a point, and there was a CM who asked for the number in the party. I don't know what the first person said, but the CM asked them to step aside until the rest of the party caught up with them. So we went past, and my kids and I were the first people on FoP that morning, and it was super cool walking through the queue with no one in front of us but the CMs. But from that I assumed the standard policy was for the person ahead to wait for the others to catch up, not for those behind to cut ahead of the people in between.

I had a woman and her young daughter cut in front of me and my two daughters on the line for the holiday cookies and cocoa. It was where the line turns so I pointed out that the line starts waaaaay back there. She lies and says “oh well I’ve been on line and people just keep cutting in front of me.” So I said “Well you weren’t in front of me because I’ve been right behind these people since I got on line.”

She insisted she was on the line ahead of me and wouldn’t move so I just stepped around and in front of her with my daughters and held my own. Her daughter asked why I did that and I heard the mom say “Some people are just rude.” LOL.

For me it wasn’t about the cookies and cocoa that’s for sure.

Also, FWIW, I was nervous about lines and our first trip after potty training my daughter. Just make sure you take your child to the restroom before getting in a longer line. My daughter was so distracted and excited about WDW that she never told me she had to go - I had to make her go every time. We avoided needing to leave any lines because I was proactive about having her go. All kids are different, obviously, but I was really worried for nothing.

Good point. We'll definitely be proactive about using the restroom, especially before getting into line. And we'll probably just avoid any lines longer than 45 minutes just to be safe. I'd hate to get right to the front and have to back out! Although that could happen at any time and for any reason with a 3 year old :headache:. I'm just trying to minimize the likelihood of that scenario.

But I won’t be like “Oh well” “So what?” every time people cut me.

How one reacts to it is very subjective, a matter of personal opinion. I wouldn't bother getting into a confrontation over it. To each their own.

But just think... ten people get in front of you. The ride breaks down before it’s your turn. They got to ride. You didn’t. It may work out that you never make it back to that ride your entire trip. Depending on the ride it may matter. We never got to ride Cars ride on our last day because it broke down after we waited a long time. Thankfully we rode it once earlier in our trip.

Definitely could happen. And if it does, I wasn't meant to ride.

But I'm just picturing a scenario where I put a physical barricade in the queue, with only DH as my backup, telling 10 people they can't meet up with their party in front of me. That would escalate very quickly. I could advise the group that they should move to the back, but who knows if they'd be respectful enough to do that. I could also pull a CM in, but that leaves a potentially contentious situation as well, and there's no telling where the closest CM will be at that point. I'm not saying people shouldn't say anything - like I said, to each their own, but from my own perspective, I'd rather let it ride. If a shouting match or a snarky exchange of words happens with another guest, that's inclined to ruin your day more than a couple of line cutters would. At least for me. People are at heightened sensitivity on these trips - they are tired, hot, stressed, and they've spent a lot of money to be there. They're not always rational or polite.

How one reacts to it is very subjective, a matter of personal opinion. I wouldn't bother getting into a confrontation over it. To each their own.

Definitely could happen. And if it does, I wasn't meant to ride.

But I'm just picturing a scenario where I put a physical barricade in the queue, with only DH as my backup, telling 10 people they can't meet up with their party in front of me. That would escalate very quickly. I could advise the group that they should move to the back, but who knows if they'd be respectful enough to do that. I could also pull a CM in, but that leaves a potentially contentious situation as well, and there's no telling where the closest CM will be at that point. I'm not saying people shouldn't say anything - like I said, to each their own, but from my own perspective, I'd rather let it ride. If a shouting match or a snarky exchange of words happens with another guest, that's inclined to ruin your day more than a couple of line cutters would. At least for me. People are at heightened sensitivity on these trips - they are tired, hot, stressed, and they've spent a lot of money to be there. They're not always rational or polite.

There is a middle ground between "So what?" and "confrontational" about it.

I said I get upset about it and don't have a no big deal attitude. I didn't say I pick a fight with every person who tries to cut in line. Most times I don't say anything and just comment about it with my family. And the other people in line who are annoyed too. I will speak up depending on the situation.

And I do feel there's a difference between catching up with your party (depending on how many) and just cutting a line. I will always say something to someone that just plain cuts me. I usually say The line starts back there, and it usually works. And I'm usually polite when I say it in case they made a mistake.

I said I get upset about it and don't have a no big deal attitude. I didn't say I pick a fight with every person who tries to cut in line. Most times I don't say anything and just comment about it with my family. And the other people in line who are annoyed too. I will speak up depending on the situation.

And I said I don't get upset. As I said before, one's reaction when this occurs is subjective and everyone is different. If you feel its worth getting upset over, that's your prerogative. Everyone will react differently.

And I do feel there's a difference between catching up with your party (depending on how many) and just cutting a line. I will always say something to someone that just plain cuts me. I usually say The line starts back there, and it usually works. And I'm usually polite when I say it in case they made a mistake.

I agree there is a difference between someone catching up with their party versus straight up cutting. I can't say I've experienced an intentional line cutter before - they're usually mistaken, which I also have no problem with politely telling them where the line ends. But I have experienced on several occasions people trying to catch up to their party, and that's what I presume most people here experience regularly too (i.e. the bathroom breaks). It's those people I'm not getting upset over.

You can absolutely tell who the line cutters are in this thread.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but I've mentioned multiple times throughout the thread that I don't condone line cutting. I don't do it, and I don't think other people should do it either. But I won't get myself worked up over it or have an exchange with someone over it, because its not worth it to me. My opinion. Doesn't mean I cut lines or applaud people who do - far from that.

There’s a difference between cutting and catching up with your party, yeah. BUT it’s still wrong to “cut people” to “catch up with your party” if you’re using that to not have to wait on line like everyone else.

It’s acceptable sometimes if one person from the group does it because they had to use the restroom, or got separated. It just seems that’s a rarity. People are definitely taking advantage of other guests.

People are using one or two people to hold a spot for them in front of everyone else. Or even a group to hold a spot for the other half of the group. Or a mother holding a spot for her family because she doesn’t want her kids to have to wait. It’s unacceptable.

The OP asked if it’s BAD to do it. Why “argue” with (or give your two cents to) people who say it’s not okay if you don’t think it’s okay either? She didn’t ask for a poll on just how upset people should be about it.

Why try to shame people who answered her question and explained why. If it’s wrong just say Yes it’s wrong.

There’s no point in telling people how they should feel about it. Especially if you agree it’s wrong.

I said I get upset about it and don't have a no big deal attitude. I didn't say I pick a fight with every person who tries to cut in line. Most times I don't say anything and just comment about it with my family.

This is how I feel/what I do as well. I'm non-confrontational about it. I just stew in my feelings and admit that it's my own doing.

Most everyone has the same moral view on line-cutting. Some people get upset and some people don't and that's okay, as long as we all agree that it's bad. I know topics like line-cutting can get heated, but I didn't realize saying the equivalent of "line cutting really upsets me, maybe I need to chill out" would be controversial in any way. Just airing out my old feelings over here.

Because we all know line-cutting is bad, I think the OP was really just asking if this example would be considered line-cutting(?) And because most people would feel that this example is line-cutting, it seems as through the OP is asking, "Is line-cutting bad?" Or, at least, that's how some could interpret the question as it's not a far jump. Then people provide reasons as to why line-cutting is bad and how it makes them feel.

OP, I think you got a resounding “Yes! It is bad to hold spots” to your question. I really hope you listen to all of these people. My 3 year old can understand the concept that he has to stand in a really long line to ride SDD. I bet your 7- and 10-year-olds can understand that too. If they want to ride, they need to wait.

This is how I feel/what I do as well. I'm non-confrontational about it. I just stew in my feelings and admit that it's my own doing.

Most everyone has the same moral view on line-cutting. Some people get upset and some people don't and that's okay, as long as we all agree that it's bad. I know topics like line-cutting can get heated, but I didn't realize saying the equivalent of "line cutting really upsets me, maybe I need to chill out" would be controversial in any way. Just airing out my old feelings over here.

Because we all know line-cutting is bad, I think the OP was really just asking if this example would be considered line-cutting(?) And because most people would feel that this example is line-cutting, it seems as through the OP is asking, "Is line-cutting bad?" Or, at least, that's how some could interpret the question as it's not a far jump. Then people provide reasons as to why line-cutting is bad and how it makes them feel.

I think what is sad is OP using she didn’t want her young kids to have to wait in long lines. From other posts her kids are 10 and 7 (this almost 7 year old was almost 7 in July 2018). There is no reason or excuse for her children not to be able to wait in line like everybody else and their children. If there is a DAS qualifying reason then get a DAS, don’t say your kids can’t wait because you don’t want them to! Even with a DAS the special needs qualifying people have to wait some period of time so why can’t OPs kids.

There’s a difference between cutting and catching up with your party, yeah. BUT it’s still wrong to “cut people” to “catch up with your party” if you’re using that to not have to wait on line like everyone else.

It’s acceptable sometimes if one person from the group does it because they had to use the restroom, or got separated. It just seems that’s a rarity. People are definitely taking advantage of other guests.

People are using one or two people to hold a spot for them in front of everyone else. Or even a group to hold a spot for the other half of the group. Or a mother holding a spot for her family because she doesn’t want her kids to have to wait. It’s unacceptable. .....
/\
This
This is exactly what I was referring to with the people that have cut in line in front of us several times. It was definitely not a bathroom break with a young child.

In one case, the two older teen - 20's (?) girls holding a spot kept motioning to their other family/party members who were about 30-50 people in line behind us trying to encourage them to cut up. The other family members were (understandably) met with resistance from others in line in front of them and clearly embarrassed. I offered to move over in the very tightly packed line for the girls go past us behind to meet their family farther back, but they refused. Eventually, the girls held up the line that was moving forward that people started to allow those family members to move up to meet them just so they could move ahead too. That was rude behavior, not people who had been separated when walking toward the ride, and it was in a queue that we had already been in for 20 minutes before the family showed up.

Will it ruin my trip if it happens again? No. Will I get angry? No. Will I say something? Probably, because it directly affects me. But the OP asked if it was bad and people are answering yes and clarifying why and how it inconveniences them. I haven't seen anyone complaining that it was a deal breaker that absolutely ruined their day or trip in general.

I think what is sad is OP using she didn’t want her young kids to have to wait in long lines. From other posts her kids are 10 and 7 (this almost 7 year old was almost 7 in July 2018). There is no reason or excuse for her children not to be able to wait in line like everybody else and their children. If there is a DAS qualifying reason then get a DAS, don’t say your kids can’t wait because you don’t want them to! Even with a DAS the special needs qualifying people have to wait some period of time so why can’t OPs kids.

To me it seemed like maybe mom and dad want wait for the ride, but the kids wouldn't want to waste so much time doing so. In order for mom and dad to ride without the kids complaining about waiting, the OP asked if it was bad for one to hold places. Or I'm reading it wrong and maybe the kids aren't used to waiting in general. (?) Either way, every other park attendee has to wait for the ride and there is no preferential treatment unless you hire a plaid. Everyone is (supposed to be) on a level playing field in Disney. We all paid a lot of money to be there, we all want to ride the rides with minimum waits and we all want to get the most out of our park day. But it shouldn't be at the expense of someone else having to wait longer because a person doesn't feel like (or expect) waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!