Hilton Head....getting to the beach....

Thanks! We will have 4 teenagers with us and I am sure they will want to go to the beach more than DH and I will. And I haven't figured out what I want to do about bikes. I need to look at the cost and see if we would be using them much. We really don't know what to expect.

Thanks! We will have 4 teenagers with us and I am sure they will want to go to the beach more than DH and I will. And I haven't figured out what I want to do about bikes. I need to look at the cost and see if we would be using them much. We really don't know what to expect.

HHead is a very bike-friendly community. There are paths everywhere. There is a tunnel under the main road between the resort and the beach house as well. After your initial trip between the two with them, depending on your kiddos, I wouldn't have any problem allowing them to make the trip on their own. There is, however, a very nice pool at the beach house that you and your DH might enjoy, too.

HHead is a very bike-friendly community. There are paths everywhere. There is a tunnel under the main road between the resort and the beach house as well. After your initial trip between the two with them, depending on your kiddos, I wouldn't have any problem allowing them to make the trip on their own. There is, however, a very nice pool at the beach house that you and your DH might enjoy, too.

Thanks. We are still debating bringing out own bikes or renting them at the resort. It will get down to cost once I find out how much it costs to rent them for 3 days. Some of my family members love going on long bike rides....I am not one of them, but the rest of them would love it. ;)

DH rented our bikes from a company called Patriot rentals, I believe. We rented 5 bikes at $19.50 each for the entire week. They delivered and picked up. I think he just did a google search to find them.

Actually, not only is it easy to bike or shuttle to the beach area (the shuttles used to run every 15-20 minutes), it's not a terribly long walk either or, in my case, run. When we were there a few years ago, I would run to the beach and back. I believe it's something like a 3-mile round trip, and the whole way is via the bike path. :thumbsup2

That all sounds great! Thanks! I can't wait! Now i just have to hope I can book at the 7 month window :)

The shuttle from the resort runs from 10:00am - 4:00pm on a regular basis. In the summer, there is also a free shuttle - the DUNES BUGGY - that runs from 8am - 8pm to/from all areas in the Palmetto Dunes area.

The Beach House is just over a mile from the resort and is an easy bike ride or walk if the shuttle is not convenient enough.

Enjoy! :)

We drove to the Beach House but parking there is VERY limited. It's OK if you get there early in the morning or later in the afternoon when people are calling it quits for the day but arriving in mid-day is iffy. You have to wait to see someone leaving & then follow them to their car to snag their space. I didn't want to risk losing my parking spot a couple of times (esp. if I found one in the little garage UNDER the beach house) so I took the shuttle back to the resort a couple of times just to run in & grab something real quick. The shuttles run a constant loop & there's also a courtesy phone that you can use to call the shuttle to find out where they are in the loop. The loop only takes about 15 minutes. If there are people waiting to ride they usually leave right away. If there's nobody waiting they sit for a few minutes to see if anybody shows up before they pull out. Like someone else said, it's just over a mile in each direction which isn't far if you're just out for a walk but if you're carrying beach chairs & a cooler etc. it's too far to not just wait on the shuttle. It would work out great to let teens go back & forth that way. :thumbsup2

When we went in April of 2011, our highlight of the trip was riding our bikes ON the beach. We brought our own bikes, but since we forgot DD5's training wheels, we ended up renting a bike with a tug-along for her. DD7 had no problems riding to/from and up and down the beach. (Of course, this is a kid that can ride the trails by our house and log 6-7 miles at a time without a problem. She did an 11-mile round-trip ride at age 6:woohoo:.)

933_0348.jpg
933_0345-1.jpg

I imagine the beach itself is far more crowded in the summer so riding at the water's edge is probably difficult, if not frowned upon. As you can see in our pictures, the beach wasn't exactly crowded...the air temps were in the mid-70's so it was perfect for biking:goodvibes.

Oh that would be so much fun riding on the beach! We are planning to go the second week of May next year (not this year---so I have to wait for that 7 month window to see if I can get us a 2 bedroom).

I am hoping the weather is nice that week and the crowds are low. So I am going to be watching the weather THIS to get an idea what to expect.

Next year is the first year for us to plan around a college schedule instead of a high school schedule, so I was hoping by going right after finals week it wouldn't be as crowded since the younger kids would still be in school. But I guess we will see.

Thanks!

We used both the shuttle and drove. We were there mid August and did not have problems parking or taking the shuttle. For us it was easier to drive as we took so much stuff. I looked at bikes from off site and it was just as easy to rent from Disney and there were plenty of them

Oh that would be so much fun riding on the beach! We are planning to go the second week of May next year (not this year---so I have to wait for that 7 month window to see if I can get us a 2 bedroom).

I am hoping the weather is nice that week and the crowds are low. So I am going to be watching the weather THIS to get an idea what to expect.

Next year is the first year for us to plan around a college schedule instead of a high school schedule, so I was hoping by going right after finals week it wouldn't be as crowded since the younger kids would still be in school. But I guess we will see.

Thanks!

Going mid-May shouldn't be too much of a problem for the 7 month mark and the island itself shouldn't be too crowded either so riding on the beach should be doable. Even when we go in the summer bikers are riding by the water especially in the morning. They have a wide enough beach that I never feel it is crowded.

Good luck on getting your reservations. It is a great spot!

Yes. It's also a ridable distance if you decide to rent bikes.

it is on a VERY busy road, and about 1.8 miles from the lobby... so it may not be a ridable distance, and I would never attempt it without a helmet or with little kids! It's HOT here in the summer My son who is in the USN and in very good shape rode his bike, once... . IT's very hot and humid if your not used to that it can kick your butt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter