High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

I am late to the party as I just discovered this board not too long ago.

Lat year was good for DD. She managed to get straight A's for the second semester, which was an improvement over the first. Band camp starts at the end of this month. School here always starts the Tuesday after labor day.

This weekend is band awards. She got enough points to get a letter jacket. $$$$ She is proud of that accomplishment.

I am also late to the party, just saw this thread. My ds won't go back until after Labor Day. He has 5 books for summer reading, none of which have been started yet. But I can't complain too much, this week he is doing community service in another state with our church.

DS announced he is willing to to go NYU, U of Chicago or Boston University. I am equally certain DH is not willing to pay full tuition at any of those schools. I'm looking forward to learning more about when we need to get ready for SATs, have him seriously look at schools in a realistic way, etc. I think the time is at hand!

Maria :upsidedow

DD had a good freshman year. All A's for the year- 5 honors courses and 3 non-honors electives. Her JV soccer team had a great season, and DD scored 2 game winning goals (a big deal for her, since she usually isn't a big scorer).

So far, the summer has been fun, but very busy for her. Between soccer training and camp, vacation with the family, vacation with a friend's family, and vacation with her Grammy, she has had almost no free time to just hang out.

She only has one book to read for English class this summer- Night by Elie Wiesel. I put it on her Kindle the day school got out for the summer, and I bet she hasn't started it yet. :rolleyes:

School starts 8/26- they will get their schedules for the year a week or so before class starts. She wants to take Drivers Ed this year, also- I guess I need to get her registered.

Looking forward to sophomore year!!

I just found this thread too, only 1 year late lol! My only child DD15 starts 10th grade on August 20th. She too has summer reading and has not read one page yet! Its interesting to see the number and variety of classes kids can take, her school only offers basically core classes. She ended up with a 3.8 for the year and is not taking any AP classes (only one is offered AP European History) and one honors class, English. She also will be taking regular chemistry, world history, algebra 2 & Spanish 2. The issue is whether she will get the good teachers or not & we will find out her schedule a week before school. Hard to say what her college plans are yet (given that they don't have test scores yet & the gpa is subject to a lot of changes) but she is going! Hope that she will stay on the west coast but she has visited and likes the east coast too.

Emily starts school on the 7th. She had a pretty good freshman year, some of the typical friendship shifts you get as classmates start to go their separate ways in coursework. She finally did her summer reading this week and is working on getting her papers done before our vacation Friday, so she can relax that final week before school starts.

I honestly can't remember all the classes she's signed up for this year. AP English and Geometry, Anatomy and Physiology and another science (I forget, but not chemistry, something else), 3D art (I think), phys ed, Spanish II, and (I think) some form of government or history. Could be a crazy year. She was thinking about getting a job, but now has decided to wait and see how hard her coursework is first. She'll get her license in January, and by then she'll know if she can handle a job or not. So, we'll see how that goes.

My DD finished her freshman year with high honors and first in her class. :cool1:
She is attending a Vocational High School and she was placed in her top shop pick which was Health Assisting. She wants to be a nurse.
Next year she will be doing one week of academics and one week of shop. It is a lot of work but she loves it.

Anyone started school yet?

Dd starts the day after Labor day. We have done the majority of basic school supplies. Hopefully, she won't need a lot of extra stuff when she goes back and gets the individual lists.

Who else can't wait for kids to go back? :rotfl2:

Not yet here- we still have 2 weeks. Waiting to get her schedule in the mail!
Same here! DD and I did a little back to school clothes shopping, but she didn't need much, and it was nice that she paid for some things herself! We picked up DS a couple of pairs of shorts and tees, and he's happy with that.

They both start Driver's Ed and get their Learner's Permits in the fall, so they're very excited! And actually, I'll be happy to sit back a bit and let them drive - this year I did so much running around I'm ready for a break!

I can't believe this Summer is almost over! The big "drama" right now is that DS15 has been taking an online course so that he could get Health done and out of the way. Unfortunately, we learned that the course we thought was Health is actually a replacement for PE. Just had a meeting with the Guidance Counselor to see what DS15 needs to do or if there is anything that he can do. So he'll either get to count this course as Health and then he'll have a study hall in place of that class spot or he'll just have to take Health and the online course will count as an elective. It is what it is.

We don't go back to school here until September 9th due to the early Jewish Holidays. So things feel a little bit strange this summer. But band camp is next week and then everything gets ramped up for sophomore year for my dd. :cool1:

I can't believe this Summer is almost over! The big "drama" right now is that DS15 has been taking an online course so that he could get Health done and out of the way. Unfortunately, we learned that the course we thought was Health is actually a replacement for PE. Just had a meeting with the Guidance Counselor to see what DS15 needs to do or if there is anything that he can do. So he'll either get to count this course as Health and then he'll have a study hall in place of that class spot or he'll just have to take Health and the online course will count as an elective. It is what it is.
How did your DS like the online class? My DS took an online course this summer also, and discovered he really liked that style of learning.

How did your DS like the online class? My DS took an online course this summer also, and discovered he really liked that style of learning.

He thought it was OK. If this situation doesn't get solved he said he would have to think twice before taking another one.

School starts the 19th here.

But she has been at school most every week over the summer, except the week of the 4th and this week and next, for dance team technique classes. Two hours every Tuesday. They will have just a technique workout that following week, then starting the 1st week of Sept, they are practicing everyday after school. She is super excited to get this really started.

She got all the classes that she wanted. She had signed up for a photography class, which on the election sheet it did show that there was a fee for it. She almost had to drop it, as they are charging $110.00 for one semester to take this class. I personally think that is crazy nuts!! I figured it would be $100.00 for the whole year, with just one semester being half that. I told her, that with everything else she does, dance team and competitive dancing at the studio, I just don't have that kind of money for a one semester class. She talked to my brother, he is big time into photography and he took this same class when he went to our high school, and he told her that if she really wanted to take the class, that he would pay for it. She could come over and provide some child labor to earn the money. She jumped all over that deal. His idea of child labor is baking brownies or cupcakes while they hang out and watch movies, so it's not like she has to actually wash the windows or dust to make the money.

We had to do a bit of school cloth shopping. With her being on dance team, she needed a few more dressier outfits for school as well as some nicer dresses for dt functions. As a group, they dress up on Fridays and if it's a competition weekend, they really dress up.

Kooky question, more out of curiosity to see how different schools operate: does your kid's high school mail out the class schedules for upcoming school year or do the teens make a mad.dash on first day to find their name and homeroom number along with everyone else? My dd's school does the latter.

Kooky question, more out of curiosity to see how different schools operate: does your kid's high school mail out the class schedules for upcoming school year or do the teens make a mad.dash on first day to find their name and homeroom number along with everyone else? My dd's school does the latter.

DD's school sends out the schedules for the year (both first and second semester) about a week before school starts. The kids can go to an open house as well- usually the Thursday before classes start, and mainly incoming Freshmen go- and pick up a copy of their schedule then.

They pass out yet another copy of the first semester schedules on the first day of class. The first day ones should be corrected with any changes the student has requested- the kids also have through the first 10 days of class to go to a guidance counselor and drop/add classes if needed. Same thing for the first 10 days of second semester.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter