High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

Sounds like most people are doing move in early to mid August. We're not going until labor day weekend and I'm afraid I'll have to leave my niece at home so she doesn't miss school.

We are a little later in August (the 20th is move in day) but DD won't start classes until the 29th. I am going to have a hard time dropping her off (even though I will be back 2 days later for parents day), but I know she won't be too far away so I think it might be a little easier to say goodbye knowing she might come home some weekends. Probably when she needs laundry done, LOL. I'll bet that I still walk into her room about a dozen times to talk to her before I remember that she is living on campus, LOL ;)

For a backpack, DD still has a couple of Jansport ones that are in good condition but I think we will get her a new one with a dedicated laptop compartment (we specifically avoided those before since she needed one big compartment for her books in HS). But we haven't started looking yet.

We paid her housing deposit yesterday and she is supposed to get her roommate information next week. We also saw the first pictures of the actual building and rooms (the residence hall is just being built so no tours yet) and it is super exciting. She will have a refrigerator supplied by the school but no microwaves allowed. Hopefully they will have one they can use in the common areas.

Oh, and she is having her first meet-up with a few of the other local kids from her Honors classes tomorrow :)

DD's school (and the one I work for) has gone to 15 hours being full time. This means that for her to remain in the dorm, in choir and on scholarship, she has to take at least 15. She is talking 19.

Today we helped DD get her loan for college. I hope in 4 years she and all of the Dis kids can get a good job to pay off the loans.

I hope so too. My DD will have to take out loans, but we managed to have enough to pay for this semester. My DH wants her to minimize loans as much as possible, so no loans this semester, maybe not next semester, but we do not have the money for second year. We will see what we can save out of current income during the year.
We managed to have our oldest graduate with minimal debt and it's almost paid off already because she has a decent job. This DD will be more difficult because her college fund was mostly used up for private school (public school was just not working for her) and I also now have my niece to pay for now she's living with me. It's going to be interesting.

DS had to go take his college placement test yesterday. He actually doesn't need it for this upcoming semester since we are keeping him as a dual enrollment until December, but starting in January he will need it, and I was worried that with 4 classes he wouldn't be able to handle going in for a 4-5 hour test.

He wasn't able to finish yesterday. UGH. Our scheduled appt time was 1-5. We got there at 1:30.

Long story short, DH was supposed to take him, but he had some client meeting come up unexpectedly. I had a doctor's appt at 11 and thought I could make it, but they wanted bloodwork and shots, etc.....so I got home later than expected.

AND, to top it off, the fire alarm went off THREE times during the test! One of them required us to go outside for 15 minutes.

The other two were just annoying and we were told not to leave. I was only there from 3:45-5pm waiting and it went off 3 times.

So, he has to go back Friday to finish.

This is at the local CC, and for those who haven't kept up with my previous posts, this is my son with Asperger's and some LDs, so all the interruptions threw him off even more. But I think he handled it really well.

Can anyone recommend a waterproof backpack? Maybe one that has a padded laptop space

I would check ebags.com. They carry several waterproof and water resistant brands.

I personally would LOVE their TLS Professional Slim backpack. I think it is so well designed. But I am not sure of the water resistance.

I love all their ebags brand items. I haven't ordered even one ebags brand item I didn't love.

And today's "steals of the day" have some water resistant backpacks!

Last edited:
Interesting that the placement test was in person. DD had to take her tests online. It was much less stressful and she has major test anxiety.

Interesting that the placement test was in person. DD had to take her tests online. It was much less stressful and she has major test anxiety.

Really? Huh.

It may be because it is a community college so everyone commutes and they know people are local.

Not sure.

My son's math placement test was in person during orientation weekend. It's in the middle of nowhere, so not a huge number of commuters.

@DawnM - I have been following your posts-sounds like your son is doing pretty well-hopefully Friday will be peaceful testing time for him though!

Today we helped DD get her loan for college. I hope in 4 years she and all of the Dis kids can get a good job to pay off the loans.
UGGHH we just did this too-the interest rate through Sallie Mae is UNBELIEVABLE!! 9%??? When car and home loans are <5%?? Talk about GOUGING our kids. I am hopeful we will be able come up with most of the tuition next year. However we do have 2 other kids to get through some kind of higher education...

I also now have my niece to pay for now she's living with me.
Are you talking living expenses while she is living with you or also college expenses?
--Not to be nosy but are you her legal guardian? of is she just staying with you do to circumstances? I am really really not prying but to let you know I was in a similar situation: dad died young (I was 13) and mom was ill with a terminal disease and unable to care for me and my sister. Cousins stepped in as legal guardians (arranged when dad was diagnosed with cancer). I was considered a "ward of the court" even though I had legal guardian with whom I lived. It allowed me to get through undergrad on scholarship and grants mostly-Pell grants are much more generous for those of us like that.

Are you talking living expenses while she is living with you or also college expenses?
--Not to be nosy but are you her legal guardian? of is she just staying with you do to circumstances? I am really really not prying but to let you know I was in a similar situation: dad died young (I was 13) and mom was ill with a terminal disease and unable to care for me and my sister. Cousins stepped in as legal guardians (arranged when dad was diagnosed with cancer). I was considered a "ward of the court" even though I had legal guardian with whom I lived. It allowed me to get through undergrad on scholarship and grants mostly-Pell grants are much more generous for those of us like that.

Yes to everything. The circumstances are awful and I don't want to go into them, but bottom line is, I am her legal guardian. I get to pay for her live g expenses and (even though I'm not obligated) I will contribute to college if need be. Yay!
On the bright side, she will be considered independent when she files fafsa next year. She will have some money my sister left her, but not enough to get through 4 years. I will make up the short-fall if I can. I am hoping for pell grants and subsidized loans for her.
Good times all around. I get to write my first check today. Also, yay!

Yes to everything. The circumstances are awful and I don't want to go into them, but bottom line is, I am her legal guardian. I get to pay for her live g expenses and (even though I'm not obligated) I will contribute to college if need be. Yay!
On the bright side, she will be considered independent when she files fafsa next year. She will have some money my sister left her, but not enough to get through 4 years. I will make up the short-fall if I can. I am hoping for pell grants and subsidized loans for her.

Thank you for doing that for her! As someone who benefited from family stepping in-may be hard but it IS making a difference!!

{{{hugs}}} Sounds like a tough situation that you are all making the best of. She is a lucky girl to have your help (and also sounds like you are lucky to have her too) :) I hope that everything works out for her for college also!

For DD, unless something major happens, we have tuition and supplies covered for 4 years but we will be in trouble if she requires an extra semester or two to graduate or doesn't keep her grades up for her scholarship (then she will be in to loans). We also have the first year of dorm covered but if DD decides to live off-campus for the other years, she will need to get a job to pay for it. We are close enough so that she can commute so she has a place to live rent free.

For the writing placement test, DD didn't have to take it because her SAT score was high enough to be exempt. But if she did, it would have been online with a proctor. It was a pretty interesting setup based on what one of the other kids described. She said that she had to hold the computer up and point it around the room so the Proctor could verify she was alone and wasn't using any additional materials, etc.

For DD, unless something major happens, we have tuition and supplies covered for 4 years but we will be in trouble if she requires an extra semester or two to graduate or doesn't keep her grades up for her scholarship (then she will be in to loans). We also have the first year of dorm covered but if DD decides to live off-campus for the other years, she will need to get a job to pay for it. We are close enough so that she can commute so she has a place to live rent free.
For us, DD's on campus room and board is MUCH more expensive than an off campus apartment and grocery/going out money. The Honors dorms are almost $9000/year, and the unlimited meal plan (that all first year students are required to have) is over $4000. We have already started looking at apartments for next year (virtually no upperclassmen are guaranteed on campus housing- too many freshmen and not enough dorm rooms), and even renting a "luxury resort" student apartment and giving an ample food allowance, we will save AT LEAST $3000-$4000 per year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter