High Cost of Easter

wow, more than me.

I ended up spending about $30 total for three boys.

But they'll share with me.

Baskets - Nothing buy them once they are born use them yearly
Candy - about 30$
Webkinz - 12$ X 3 = 36$
DD1 New Scooter = 49$
DD2 New Bike = 59$
DS New Scooter = 30$
Easter flower for family = 25$
Easter dinner = 30$
Egg coloring = zero my brother was nice and dropped off 3 dozen eggs and food coloring for the kids
Other toys = 50$ (playdoh, paints, bubbles, and stuff I can't remember right now)

I dont wanna add it up sadly this year was WAYYYYY less expensive than last year!

We dont do the "dressing up" for easter. So that saves me a TON of money!

I hadn't really thought of the total money spent on Easter.....until now!!

Ingredients for two desserts I'm making to bring to Easter dinner: $20

Easter gifts for three of dd's teachers: $20

Easter basket for my parents: plant and dark chocolate - $10

Easter dress for dd11: $36
(thankfully she's wearing shoes she already has)

DD's Easter basket: (basket and grass reused each year)
I-Tunes gift card $15
curling iron $18
book $8
hair tie backs $3
shower scrunchie $1
misc candy $15

Total: $146

Baskets with goodies and gifts for DD7, DD14 and DD16...

$155

Teen DD's received one pair Nike shorts each and rolling luggage $20 at Big Lots along with some of their favorite snacks

DD7 got 2 pair of soffe shorts, Enchanted movie and some playdoh and gummy candy

$7 grocery for pasta salad (we are going to family picnic)

$0 eggs and dye (MIL does this every year):worship:

$0 DH and I are always left out.:mad:

So approx $162

2 easter dresses for DD's-40.00
2 sets socks and shoes-35.00
Dollar store for Easter basket goodies-42.00
extra groceries and candy-40.00
Presents for Grandmothers and Aunts and cards-70.00
Pizza for Egg dying party-30.00
Easter pictures-120.00
postage for cards-5.00

Holy Crap!!!!!!

Grand total $382.00

yep mine is pretty expensive this year if I total it all up- which I will do now! ;)

clothes- all from last year and years prior. dd's has a beautiful gingham embroidered easter outfit she got as a gift on her 6th birthday and she has gotten to wear now for 3 easter holiday's in a row. I only had to buy her a new pair of sandals for $11 at target..

Baskets:

had $20 worth of GC from target so I spent them on some small items like etch a sketch, legos, kite Pez & peeps. I spent around $10 for whatever I went over on.
Dollar Store: $10 on misc items like HM lollipop and Sports lollipop, coloring books, bubbles, puzzles and chalk

Enchanted DVD $13.99

New interactive Beanie Babies: $6.99 x 2

each are getting a new rashguard swimsuit from landsend for $50

I already had the baskets and grass and I had thought that was the end of my spending anymore money BUT I went back in to target today to pick up a few plastic eggs since we are expecting rain till about 12 noon tomorrow and I wanted to hide a few eggs in the house until the rain lets up and we can have our annual egghunt with the neighbors (that cost me $8.00 for 1/2 the costs of prefilled eggs). I will put $2.50 in change for each of the kids and the eggs cost me $7.00 since I went with the sports theme ones.. I also had to walk right by that squeaks Mccaw parrot that our son has wanted so bad since xmas. I couldnt bear to spend $50+ on it but $24.99- I couldnt pass such a great deal up! So that is a added special gift for ds and I had to even it up with buying dd a new baseball glove and ball set for $8.00 and a $15 GC to target..

Plus adding all of the food- we are having easter lunch at my house tomorrow and celebrating my dad's retirement and his bday

between costco and publix- $100..

Total Costs for easter this year
= $280

We are pretty frugal around here
reuse the baskets hay and plastic eggs year after year
the kids get one bigger egg in their basket then some smaller candies
jelly beans choc. eggs and jube jubes in the plastic eggs around the house
bought a dozen eggs and dyed them, plus 2 cake mixes and icing tins for the bunny cake
Grand total $42

Although I do have 3 wii games left over from christmas that DH is itching to play, so he may overrule me and the easter bunny may end up leaving the kids a wii game each:idea:

My oh my....I don't think I really want to play this game, but, I can't resist...

Here ya go....

DD(7):

-Lap Tray / Stencils for decorating it / paint markers / book caddy from Michaels - 20.00
-Crayola cutting system 16.00
-Hannah Montana tatoos - 2.00
- 2 packages of card stock to keep her out of my scrap paper 12.00
- grass-.25
-Airheads - 1.50
-Candy 4.00
-Candy Pig 2.00
-Stuffed Pig 6.00
-Sidewalk chalk kit 6.00
-Chalk for her chalk board 1.50
-Multiplication cards 1.00

Total for DD basket 72.25 OMG - I hadn't added it up till now....

DS(11) basket:

Basket - 2.00
Candy - 7.00
White Chocolate bunny 3.00
Batting Gloves 19.00
Custom hat for archery 15.00
Tackle knap sack for fishing - free from our store LOL!

DS total 46.00 but value is 76.00 with the free tackle box thing.

Candy and eggs for DD class - 20.00 - nobody sent any in but us and a couple other parents so I stuffed a ton of eggs.

Groceries for tomorrow lunch at SIL - about 20.00 for the ingredients for dishes I am taking.

Grand Total probably about 160.00. We didn't do Easter outfits since I had to buy our summer wardrobes earlier than we planned.

Of course, this is even worse in a way for me, because we are going to WDW in 6 days and orginally we were going in July. We moved it up March 1st, so I have had to go into overdrive getting kids summer clothes and me summer clothes. I lost 60lbs since last may and NOTHING I had fit. I spent all day today at the mall. Both kids grew so much that nothing out of their closets fit. So it seems like I have been leaking money for two weeks now.

Well, for two "older" kids (13 and 11) I spent:

$9 for candy
reusing old baskets

I have some little "stuff" I have put away, or bought at Target for 75% off the dollar aisle, which I might throw in. Each will get an iTunes GC for $15 each.....purchased at Xmas, and then I decided they had enough and set aside for now

So that's $39.

I bought dd a dress for Easter, but that's because she has grown so much the last few years, she has nothing to wear (since she wears a school uniform, all she has is some jeans, shorts and t-shirts). Last year's dress is WAY too short for church. So I guess if I count that, it's $50. But she'll also wear it for her brother's confirmation, and a graduation we're attending.

Then, I spent $50 at the grocery store today (I'm bringing brunch to my MIL's assisted living facility). I'm guesing maybe $20-$25 was directly for brunch.

So, not too bad for me.

julia

DD is getting some Gerber Graduates items in her basket..stuff she would eat anyway! I also put a Fisher Price purse in there, but that was free when I bought something else. DS's basket was $15 at CVS and I did buy him a bike because he needs one, but it was only $29.99 at TRU. Plastic eggs were 1.50 and I'll fill them with coins from the change jar. Easter dress for DD was $11 total including the hat, dress and cardigan. Bought it last year at Children's Place. DS is wearing a 7.99 Target dress shirt. Ham was $15. I didn't spend too much this year! Now don't even get me started on the 1st birthday party next weekend, that is turning out to be more than a WDW trip! :upsidedow

Hmm, I have to figure this out...

DS 11
Peeps - .33
Nerf Football - 2.00
Spiderman Pens - 1.00
Crayola Thin Tip Markers - 2.00
Mini Blow Pops - .45
Gummi Savers - .45
Chocolate Easter Bunny - 1.49
Video Game Tshirt - 5.99

DD 9
Peeps - .33
Chocolate Easter Bunny - 1.49
Hannah Montana Headbands - 2.00
Hannah Montana Comb & Mirror - 1.00
Littlest Pet Shop Stickers - .99
Mini Blow Pops - .45
Bandaid Gum - .69
Hannah Montana Shirt - 6.50

Total - $27.16
That is just Easter Basket Stuff, we are having a Turkey Dinner as well, but I have no idea what all that stuff costs! LOL

We don't do really big gifts at Easter & no family dinner since everyone's too far. I try to do less candy & more odds & ends in their baskets. Most of the kids' stuff I got last year at 75-90% clearance.

From last yr-

3 new baskets because I didn't move our old ones w/us -$2-3? each, got cute metal ones from Target - sports for DS, flowers for DDs - they are great because the handles fold down & they nest inside each other for storing

Easter grass - .07 a bag x6 -will reuse next year
3 Easter stuffed bunnies - $3-5 total
1 stuffed Peep for my peep loving DD
3 silly walking chicks $1 total
some bubble gum eggs & hard candy necklaces - hope they made the yr ok
Easter set of LPS-$2.50
Eggs w/cars inside for DS5-$2
couple egg dying kits we haven't used yet, probably tomorrow

New stuff-
dress for DD7, a casual church/summer dress she can wear again- $15
3 pk of egg shaped bubble necklaces- $1

candy - $15 - mainly because I bought the Dove bunnies w/o looking closely at the price - $3.99 each! :scared1: oh well, it was that, some jelly beans & egg M&Ms for each, I try not to do too much candy

lego set for DS-$8
earrings/headband for DD14-$13
little art set for DD7-$10

Grocery-
$1 on jello because someone's idea of strawberry pretzel salad sounds yummy. The rest of tomorrow's food we already had. Brunch stuff & roast for dinner.

$75-80 - hmm, not as cheap as I thought based on what was purchased. At least some of it will be used again.

Anyone else looking forward to clearance sales? My best deals were at Walgreen's last yr though I felt like I won the lottery when I found that lone clearanced out LPS!

So I'm sure this is a really stupid question - but how does the "Easter bunny" bring back the same basket every year?

Inspired by the egg thread. How much is your Easter gonna cost? Here's my breakdown:

$30 2 Polo shirts for 5yo & 2yo for pictures that the 2yo wouldn't sit for :rolleyes: but can use them anyway
$30 for Big toy presents (Diego backpack for 5yo, Little People Easter set for 2yo)
$25 for books (easter sticker & coloring book for 5yo, 2 lift the flap easter books for 2yo)
$10 for 3 packs of egg dye kits (sparkle, egg wraps, and cars theme)
$3 for baskets from Easter Bunny ($1 buckets x 2, grass 2@$.50) Reusebaskets from last year for collecting - these are the Bunny suprise ones
$25 candy ($1 fun size M&M 8 pk, $2 peeps, $2 small bunny with eyes, $2 small wrapped bunny - bought by mistake - 5yo wants to eat the eyes LOL, $8 large bag of mini candies for class, neighborhood hunts, $5 jelly beans (2 cause DH loves them, $5 assorted candbury eggs for moi!)
$4 Plasic eggs for class/neighborhood hunts
$50 grocery bill for coloring eggs and Easter Brunch ingredients (blueberry pancakes, bacon, sausage, croissants, tortillas, fruit salad, OJ, Champagne, and of couse, eggs)
$20 for Easter Movies (Peter Cottontail 2 pk (classic & new), Mel Gibsons Passion)

Total = $200

How about you guys?
Sorry, I can't relate to this at all. My kids dyed eggs, which was about $3 for two dozen eggs (we had several .17 egg dye kits in the cabinet, which I bought last year after Easter -- we dye eggs every now and then throughout the year just because it's fun). They'll get Easter baskets tomorrow morning with a chocolate bunny each and a few other candies. The baskets themselves (and the grass) are saved from previous years.

We're resistant to turning every holiday into a gift-giving occasion. For us, Easter's about special church services and a big lunch with the family.

So I'm sure this is a really stupid question - but how does the "Easter bunny" bring back the same basket every year?

We leave the basket out on the dining room table for the bunny to fill :) In the morning they are gone and hidden.

We spent about $30 on the baskets. They are each getting a DVD and some candy. We are being taken out to brunch by family and wearing clothes we already have, so it's an inexpensive day for us.

Same way Santa fills the same old stockings. The kids put the egg-filled baskets out on the table. The next morning, they wake to find that they Easter bunny's taken their eggs and hidden them, and he's left candy in the baskets. They know it was the bunny because there's always a window left cracked, and there are baby powder "bunny footprints" underneath it.

Okay - so I feel really stupid....but I'm going to flip it around and just say you guys are GENIUSES!! No more new baskets in this house.....now to come up with a story for DD for next year if she questions why we never did that before. I told her that the bunny comes in and gets her eggs to hide why didn't I think of leaving the basket for him.

Eggs & 1 dye kit: $4

Dress for DD3: $6
Hat & tights for DD3: $8
Dress for DD11: $15
Polo for DS14: $15

Lamb for dinner: $25
Other stuff for dinner: $10

2,000 Wii points for DD11 & DS14: $20
Princess coloring book/stickers for DD3: $12
Good chocolate for 3 baskets + DH: $22
School supplies for DS14: $10
Hair clips for DD11: $10

TOTAL: $157

and I consider myself pretty conservative about Easter spending *and* their baskets look pretty weak this year compared to previous years!

Okay - so I feel really stupid....but I'm going to flip it around and just say you guys are GENIUSES!! No more new baskets in this house.....now to come up with a story for DD for next year if she questions why we never did that before. I told her that the bunny comes in and gets her eggs to hide why didn't I think of leaving the basket for him.

:rotfl2: This board is full of great ideas! Actually I have re-used baskets in the past & the kids have commented on the nice "new" baskets they've never seen before! :lmao: I don't bother to set them out ahead of time, I'm not that organized. The issue of where the basket came from never comes up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter