High Cost of Easter

Lets see how this breaks down:

They both got new baskets for $10 each. Now that they're getting older & aren't as hard on them they'll probably have them for a long time.

DS10 [$40]

-Jonas Brothers Concert t-shirt (bought by a friend at a concert) $30
-ScoobyDoo DVD (free from Motts applesauce) $0
-Shower gel from B&BW (got a free lotion when I bought it) $10

DD7 [$12]

-Hannah Montana Karaoke CD (free from Club Libby Lu) $0
-3 pairs of socks from the GAP (clearance) $2
-Pink Twinkle glitter from Club Libby Lu (On Clearance) $5
-4 little My Little Pony figures (after Christmas clearance) $2
-blue hearts & cross necklace (clearance from a Christian store) $3

Clothes:

DD: Dress $30 & tights $2
DS: Shirt $25 & shorts $2 (clearance at Wal-Mart)

Candy: about $10. 2 bags of wrapped candy & an oversized egg with candy inside for each.

So, lets see, about $140. I honestly didn't realize there was such a difference between the kids baskets. DD got more stuff but DSs stuff cost more.

Toddlers baskets- 2 DVD's $30, 2 sets of disney store flips and sun glasses $12, one large premade basket full off outdoor toys $12.00 =total for both of them $54

8yos basket; 5 hard cover american girl doll books $15.00, 2 Nintendo DS games $30, googles $1.00 total $46

15yo's basket; Contact lenses $25, went to walgreens and got misc items.. red bull, beef jerky, lead pencils, highlighters $15: total $40

also spent $20 on gertrude hawks candy from school fundraiser.

So approx total for 4 kids $160 YIKES!!!

I do buy dressy easter outfits since I know they wont wear them again. I did make my 3yo daughter a pair of custom princess jeans to wear.

I would love to know how you managed these so cheap!

I probably spent under $15 dollars.

Easter basket, grass & plastic eggs all saved from last year. Actually it's been about 3 years since I first bought them.

No new Easter Clothes, they have a closet full so no need to buy new for one day.

Candy consisted of a bag of jelly beans, a bag of individual packs of M&Ms and a couple of chocolate bunnies. They each got a bottle of big bubbles.
That's it. My mom has a way of placing everything that makes it look like they got lots of stuff. Besides the fun comes from finding the eggs and hiding them again to find again. They could do this all day.

Dinner came out of the grocery budget since we have to eat anyway so no added expense there.

Really I never saw Easter as a time to spend, spend, spend.

Lets see

I made the girls dresses. Not sure exactly what I paid for fabric. It was $8 a yard but 40% off and I bought 4 yards. Then I decided to use a different dress pattern so I needed more fabric. The additional fabric I bought was not on sale. About 3 yards at $8 each.

Each DD got a hat - $1 and $7

Only the youngest needed a new pair of shoes $9

They each got a DVD $15, $15.

And they each got a stuffed bunny $1, $1.

I don't buy them candy as they get enough from school and other family members. Easter spending is pretty low around here since they both have March b-days as well. The dresses I made doubled as Easter and b-day dresses and they wore them to get pictures taken as well so not sure that cost should all apply to Easter.

We've never practised the kids to elaborate Easter gifts. I did little gift baskets of candy once or twice. Then we started doing an egg hunt and did away with the individual candy baskets.

Now that they're are only 2 children in the family of egg-hunting age, we scaled back on the hunt. Bought way less candy, reused the plastic eggs for the fifth year in a row, filled some with money ($1 bills), reused baskets etc. The children are not allowed to keep the candy; it's the thrill of the chase for them. At the end of the hunt the candy is rounded up and everyone present, adults included, share in the goodies.

Easter dinner wasn't very elaborate either - had an extra ham that was given to us at Christmas and the usual Sunday fare.

We spend about $15 in candy - some of which wasn't even used. I've put it away to dole out as treats over the next few weeks

Let's see...

Assorted candy to split between the kids baskets and eggs that are hidden -$20
2 iPods - more than I care to admit :)

On the bright side, we reuse the baskets every year. When DD was a baby I bought nice baskets for the kids, and we have used them every year.

Wore clothes we already had - $0
Basket, grass, plastic eggs - saved from years past, $0
Candy - Maybe $10 total but about 75% of it got taken to work. (I put a few pieces in the plastic eggs, plus a chocolate bunny)
Gramma got a DVD to put in there so $0 for me
Flat of strawberries from the strawberry field for Easter breakfast and for strawberry pie - $30 (That was my big splurge!)

$40 total

Wore clothes we already had - $0
Basket, grass, plastic eggs - saved from years past, $0
Candy - Maybe $10 total but about 75% of it got taken to work. (I put a few pieces in the plastic eggs, plus a chocolate bunny)
Gramma got a DVD to put in there so $0 for me
Flat of strawberries from the strawberry field for Easter breakfast and for strawberry pie - $30 (That was my big splurge!)

$40 total

A flat of strawberries for $30!!!! :scared1: Our strawberries are running $8/flat ... are those strawberries made out of gold?

For our Easter, I spent maybe $15 on goodies for her basket... I really only spent about $10 (including buying a new pail/shovel combo as the basket) but my mom freaked out that I didn't buy any candy to put in it for her so she picked some up ... gotta love Nana's. I don't honestly see why a three year old needs a bunch of candy, but hey, what do I know, I'm only her mother.

Other than that, we didn't do anything else. We aren't religious, so no need for new church clothes and I worked all day serving people who came out for breakfast, so I just made a lot of money. We didn't do anything special for dinner either, as I was too tired after working all day ... I think we had chicken nuggets.

I bought each one a basket for his first Easter and reuse the baskets every year, so no cost there.

The one thing that shocked me was the price of grass this year. Mind you, in the town where I live the choices are two grocery stores or WalMart. I paid $1 each for 2 bags of grass. $2

Candy (1 mixed bag of chocolates, 2 bags of jelly beans, 2 chocolate bunnies, 1 bag of gumballs, 1 bag of malted milk balls) $13

Plastic Eggs (This is the first year in 12 years I had to buy plastic eggs...my old stash didn't make the move with us.) $3.50

Clothing...my older son needed a new shirt/t-shirt $21 on a good sale at Kohls. Everything else was either purchased last year or was hand-me-downs. $21

Eggs and vinegar $4.14 (I had dye I got on clearance last year.)

Filler for baskets (Two PS2 games, 2 finger kites, bubbles, 2 books, bubblebath, plastic horseshoes game) $70

Dinner at Cracker Barrel: $26

The clothing I don't really consider to be an Easter cost, as my son can wear the outfit to school regularly. The plastic eggs will get reused, so that cost is negligable, too. The biggest expense was the PS2 games. I spread the cost out over 2 months, so it wasn't too painful this year.

I have to add a question here, after reading the other posts: if you aren't Christian, why would you celebrate Easter or at least adopt the traditions of the Easter celebration? Some years ago we had wonderful neighbors who were Hindi. On Easter I invited their young son to come gather eggs at our house. They reciprocated by inviting my son to one of their holiday dinners. But, they didn't take up a tradition of giving Easter baskets and I don't even remember the name of their holiday. I can't fathom why anyone who isn't Christian would celebrate any of the Christian holidays.

Easter isn't about spring...there are pagan holidays that celebrate spring. Easter is about salvation and eternal life: it is about Jesus Christ sacrificing himself for our redemption. As others have mentioned, Easter is the most important holiday in the Christian tradition. In the Catholic church, Easter Vigil is the most important Eucharistic celebration in the church year. My family observes Lent beginning with Ash Wednesday and observes and prepares by fasting, abstinance, and attending Holy Week church services in addition to regular weekly services. We also take part in service activities during those 40 days. Easter is not about the baskets and candy, it is about a celebration of eternal life. Without the observation of personal denial during Lent, the Easter message is fairly hollow. All of the trappings that go along with it are signs of celebration- the celebration of Jesus' personal denial in return for our eternal life. They are ways to initiate children into the beliefs of our faith...providing symbols of new life to strengthen the gospel message.

I can't imagine any circumstance under which I'd decide to celebrate something I don't believe in.

And, as a comment as to why we do baskets and eggs and new clothing...they aren't antithetical to the message of Easter at all. Easter morning is THE celebration. Everything leading up to it is solemn, but Easter morning is about joy. As Christians, my children understand the symbolism of the things we do to celebrate. They aren't worldly and meaningless.

Great post Intsmom

we have these questions on our refrigerator door this week:

kids- How would you explain to a friend why we celebrate easter?

Parents- which do you think is more significant for christians: Jesus' birth or Jesus's resurrection?

I have to add a question here, after reading the other posts: if you aren't Christian, why would you celebrate Easter or at least adopt the traditions of the Easter celebration? Some years ago we had wonderful neighbors who were Hindi. On Easter I invited their young son to come gather eggs at our house. They reciprocated by inviting my son to one of their holiday dinners. But, they didn't take up a tradition of giving Easter baskets and I don't even remember the name of their holiday. I can't fathom why anyone who isn't Christian would celebrate any of the Christian holidays.

Easter isn't about spring...there are pagan holidays that celebrate spring. Easter is about salvation and eternal life: it is about Jesus Christ sacrificing himself for our redemption. As others have mentioned, Easter is the most important holiday in the Christian tradition. In the Catholic church, Easter Vigil is the most important Eucharistic celebration in the church year. My family observes Lent beginning with Ash Wednesday and observes and prepares by fasting, abstinance, and attending Holy Week church services in addition to regular weekly services. We also take part in service activities during those 40 days. Easter is not about the baskets and candy, it is about a celebration of eternal life. Without the observation of personal denial during Lent, the Easter message is fairly hollow. All of the trappings that go along with it are signs of celebration- the celebration of Jesus' personal denial in return for our eternal life. They are ways to initiate children into the beliefs of our faith...providing symbols of new life to strengthen the gospel message.

I can't imagine any circumstance under which I'd decide to celebrate something I don't believe in.

And, as a comment as to why we do baskets and eggs and new clothing...they aren't antithetical to the message of Easter at all. Easter morning is THE celebration. Everything leading up to it is solemn, but Easter morning is about joy. As Christians, my children understand the symbolism of the things we do to celebrate. They aren't worldly and meaningless.

I didn't see any posts where anyone said they didn't celebrate or believe in Easter, but since I mentioned buying toys to celebrate Spring in my post I feel I should clarify. We do believe in Easter and celebrate Easter. That is separate from the reason why I buy toys. The toys are to celebrate Spring, the church service and family time are to celebrate the resurrection of Christ. To us spring means rebirth so it seems appropriate to me that we put outside toys in an "Easter" basket.

2 Spongebob DVD's for DS7 -$24
1 DVD for DS13-$14
Jamba Juice Gift card for DS13-$10
Candy-$15
Easter egg dye kit $1.44
2 Doz. eggs $4.44

Assorted fruit and dip for Easter beach party w/ friends - $10

$78.88 total

If we were to cook our usual Easter dinner, it would have added $20 to the total.

I actually REBEL against getting new clothes for Easter!

We wore clothing we already had.

I spent about $8 for candy (bought Valentine's Candy for 75% off after Valentine's Day).

The Easter Baskets are cute cloth type that i re-use every year.

All the kids care about is that I hide Easter eggs for a hunt for them.

Dawn

I have to add a question here, after reading the other posts: if you aren't Christian, why would you celebrate Easter or at least adopt the traditions of the Easter celebration? I can't fathom why anyone who isn't Christian would celebrate any of the Christian holidays.

Easter originated as the spring equinox celebration named for the Goddess Eoster, so yes, Easter IS ABOUT SPRING.

I am not religious, but joyfully celebrate Easter to welcome spring. I'm sure the economy appreciates all of the non-Christians who celebrate spring. ;)

Well ... to answer your question ... my parents brought my siblings and I up in a very strict Southern Baptist home. My mother didn't believe in showing us other religions, so I didn't learn about most religions until I was in 10th grade. Maybe it was b/c of my mother's strict upbringing, but I am choosing to teach my daughter about all religions. I am agnostic, but don't believe in teaching my daughter that she has to believe these things b/c I do.

She only gets an Easter basket b/c my sister is 10 and a diehard believer in things like the Easter bunny and Santa ... so how do you explain to the 10 year old why the three year old didn't get anything. Out of all the holidays we've celebrated so far, my three year old has liked Hanukkah the best. We haven't even gotten into the fact that Christians like Nana believe that Jesus was ressurected on Easter ... we have plenty of time for that.

2.50 1 Parsnip Pete, really horrible chocolate for almost 15 year old DS who insisted he still needed an Easter basket

Free Church

1.39 Boiled eggs from fridge to make egg salad sandwiches

Free Hershey's Pot of Gold for some semi decent chocolate

170.00 Dinner and tip at a Japanese steakhouse with both our children to celebrate Easter..... PRICELESS!

(We've started a new tradition a few years back as so many family members, or sometimes even us, are gone during Easter. We now pick a place we usually don't get to many times during the year. It is just us and our two children, eating together and enjoy each others' company. We did Greek Town last year. Dinner was cheaper than this year, but then we turned around and dropped 60 bucks on the bakery next door! LOL)mmm baklava!

Easter originated as the spring equinox celebration named for the Goddess Eoster, so yes, Easter IS ABOUT SPRING.

I am not religious, but joyfully celebrate Easter to welcome spring. I'm sure the economy appreciates all of the non-Christians who celebrate spring. ;)

We celebrate for the same reason.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter