High Cholesterol

Been on 10 mg Crestor for a few years w/o discernible side effects. Overall cholesterol is 146 with LDL of 58. I walk 3+ miles daily, not overweight, and have a healthy diet. Heart issues run in the family, but my dad made it to 90.
146 for total cholesterol is well-within acceptable levels and if you've also got a healthy lifestyle, why are you still on the statin?

146 for total cholesterol is well-within acceptable levels and if you've also got a healthy lifestyle, why are you still on the statin?

Probably because when you stop taking it, it will go right back up. For many people, no matter what they eat or how active they are, they will have high cholesterol. It can't be controlled by lifestyle changes for the majority of people. That's the whole reason statins exist.

Probably because when you stop taking it, it will go right back up. For many people, no matter what they eat or how active they are, they will have high cholesterol. It can't be controlled by lifestyle changes for the majority of people. That's the whole reason statins exist.
Good thought! Although I'm not the one who originally posted about taking Crestor, and having such low cholesterol, that's pretty much DH's situation. But he's tried taking other statins and stopping statins totally, but without Crestor, his cholesterol shoots back up to the 300+ range.

Good thought! Although I'm not the one who originally posted about taking Crestor, and having such low cholesterol, that's pretty much DH's situation. But he's tried taking other statins and stopping statins totally, but without Crestor, his cholesterol shoots back up to the 300+ range.

Yeah, my husband JUST had a recent panel done and his total cholesterol is now 186, which would not be an indication for statin treatment normally, but it's only under 200 BECAUSE he takes Lipitor and has been on it for a decade. His triglycerides are still on the high side and his HDL and LDL are not in optimal amounts yet either. Before getting on the statin, his cholesterol was 400. And this was when he was a younger Marine, eating oatmeal and salads and lean proteins almost exclusively, and working out close to 2 hours a day. There was nothing else he could try to lower it naturally. It was just his genetics.

Last edited:

Besides what we eat, our bodies also make cholesterol, and that is the cholesterol that tends to run high in families.

My mom had to see a cardiologist for the first time when she was 92 for a change on her EKG. At that visit, he took her off her cholesterol medication, saying “that’s what we give you in your 50s to get you to your 90s!”

Just going to give you this perspective working with people admitted to the hospital with an acute cardiac event. Immediately they are put on a high dost statin, and very few complain about it, because they’re scared. Some have had high cholesterol for years but let it go.

Good luck to everyone dealing with this. Don’t wait to lower it, however you can that works for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!