High Cholesterol

Statins were like poison to me - the side effects were so bad I was refusing treatment entirely. I knew nothing of red yeast rice but I had been asking my doctor for years to define a therapeutic dosage of Omega 3, which she would never do. I was finally referred to an endocrinologist about 6 months ago, who prescribed a relatively new drug called Vescepa, although "drug" is a bit of a misnomer. It's actually a patented form of Omega 3. Seems that now big pharma has found a way to capitalize, it's all the rage amongst prescribers. It's expensive; $700/mo., which is only partially covered by my insurance. But the results have been a shocking drop in my numbers and all the negative effects of the statins are completely resolved.
What can Omega 3 do? How did you learn about this?

Statins were like poison to me - the side effects were so bad I was refusing treatment entirely. I knew nothing of red yeast rice but I had been asking my doctor for years to define a therapeutic dosage of Omega 3, which she would never do. I was finally referred to an endocrinologist about 6 months ago, who prescribed a relatively new drug called Vescepa, although "drug" is a bit of a misnomer. It's actually a patented form of Omega 3. Seems that now big pharma has found a way to capitalize, it's all the rage amongst prescribers. It's expensive; $700/mo., which is only partially covered by my insurance. But the results have been a shocking drop in my numbers and all the negative effects of the statins are completely resolved.

High doses of Omega 3 can cause afib and increase bleeding and stroke risks, though.

So, you're trading one set of problems for another set

High doses of Omega 3 can cause afib and increase bleeding and stroke risks, though.

So, you're trading one set of problems for another set
Yep, if high cholesterol truly needs to be treated at all, I'll take those risks over the absolutely miserable, quality-of-life altering, side effects of the statins.

I know other people (all women) who have had issues with statins.

You brought up a very good point in that the current tests commonly used are NOT good measures of risk. It is a really important point.
My mother quit taking cholesterol medication. She traded her 1 pill for 6 others for her liver the cholesterol medicine destroyed eventually to need a liver transplant. Cholesterol statins don't seem like a good trade-off to me.

My mother quit taking cholesterol medication. She traded her 1 pill for 6 others for her liver the cholesterol medicine destroyed eventually to need a liver transplant. Cholesterol statins don't seem like a good trade-off to me.

Did your mothers doctor fail to do liver function testing every 6 months as required when under statin therapy? Liver damage from statin use is exceedingly rare.

Did your mothers doctor fail to do liver function testing every 6 months as required when under statin therapy? Liver damage from statin use is exceedingly rare.
Not a clue. What I wrote is all I know. Everyone else I know who was taking meds for Cholesterol had big problems.

Not a clue. What I wrote is all I know. Everyone else I know who was taking meds for Cholesterol had big problems.

Everyone you know who took statins was tested and diagnosed with actual statin intolerance? Wow.

Yep, if high cholesterol truly needs to be treated at all, I'll take those risks over the absolutely miserable, quality-of-life altering, side effects of the statins.
Yep, I would never ever take statins. There is more and more research coming out that we are treating high cholesterol incorrectly. It's not always the villain it is made out to be. Dig deep in the studies and see a functional medicine doctor if you want updated information.

Everyone you know who took statins was tested and diagnosed with actual statin intolerance? Wow.
Not who you asked, but no, that's not likely they were actually tested but self-reporting of how an individual feels shouldn't be ignored. What is very often reported anecdotally is miserable, debilitating side effects that doctors dismiss as being "mild" and continue to insist their patients comply with treatment. :sad2:

Not who you asked, but no, that's not likely they were actually tested but self-reporting of how an individual feels shouldn't be ignored. What is very often reported anecdotally is miserable, debilitating side effects that doctors dismiss as being "mild" and continue to insist their patients comply with treatment. :sad2:

A few studies have shown that most self reported statin side effects are not actually at attributable to the statin itself. They did double blind placebo controlled studies and over 70% of side effects were attributed to the palcebo/nocebo effect. Only about 10% of patients prescribed a statin have actual statin intolerance and the rest can find relief from side effects on a different medication or a lowered dosage. There has been new guidance to doctors about how to manage patients who complain of side effects. It is well known that stopping statin therapy when one has high cholesterol is far more dangerous than continuing to take them when no actual statin intolerance has been diagnosed. We know that cholesterol itself doesn't cause heart attacks or strokes, inflammation of the blood vessels is the direct cause, but that inflammation causes plaques to break off and clog up the works down the line, so getting the amount of cholesterol reduced is an essential preventative measure and statins are the best way to do that in the general population. Everything has side effects, but you have to do the risk/reward calculation.

A few studies have shown that most self reported statin side effects are not actually at attributable to the statin itself. They did double blind placebo controlled studies and over 70% of side effects were attributed to the palcebo/nocebo effect. Only about 10% of patients prescribed a statin have actual statin intolerance and the rest can find relief from side effects on a different medication or a lowered dosage. There has been new guidance to doctors about how to manage patients who complain of side effects. It is well known that stopping statin therapy when one has high cholesterol is far more dangerous than continuing to take them when no actual statin intolerance has been diagnosed. We know that cholesterol itself doesn't cause heart attacks or strokes, inflammation of the blood vessels is the direct cause, but that inflammation causes plaques to break off and clog up the works down the line, so getting the amount of cholesterol reduced is an essential preventative measure and statins are the best way to do that in the general population. Everything has side effects, but you have to do the risk/reward calculation.
Yes, risk vs reward is a decision that each patient must make for themselves, based on their own "tolerance" of the discomforts.

Time to grow up.

Everyone I know who were perfectly fine, then went on Cholesterol medications had massive problems which went away after they stopped taking them. I don't need to be a doctor to see a common denominator. I don't need to spend the crazy amount of money on trying myself to not be able to get out of bed in the morning. I'll just stay out of that risk on my own observations and opinions if that's OK with you.

Time to grow up.

Everyone I know who were perfectly fine, then went on Cholesterol medications had massive problems which went away after they stopped taking them. I don't need to be a doctor to see a common denominator. I don't need to spend the crazy amount of money on trying myself to not be able to get out of bed in the morning. I'll just stay out of that risk on my own observations and opinions if that's OK with you.
Some people will never admit that some meds cause debilitating symptoms just because they have never experienced them. They won't believe that an FDA approved medicine can commonly do harm. It is well known that statins can cause many unpleasant side effects that affect quality of life more than high cholesterol ever will for most people. It is a risk/reward proposition and you are well within your right to be concerned and avoid them.

Been on 10 mg Crestor for a few years w/o discernible side effects. Overall cholesterol is 146 with LDL of 58. I walk 3+ miles daily, not overweight, and have a healthy diet. Heart issues run in the family, but my dad made it to 90.

Been on 10 mg Crestor for a few years w/o discernible side effects. Overall cholesterol is 146 with LDL of 58. I walk 3+ miles daily, not overweight, and have a healthy diet. Heart issues run in the family, but my dad made it to 90.
Started crestor to get it under 200, then retired and walked 4 miles a day and got it to 160 but they still want me to take it. I stopped, more concerned about what it will do to your kidneys. There is a lot of data that questions this cholesterol thing, the actual numbers really do not match results. But doctors seem to love prescribed medicine.

Started crestor to get it under 200, then retired and walked 4 miles a day and got it to 160 but they still want me to take it. I stopped, more concerned about what it will do to your kidneys. There is a lot of data that questions this cholesterol thing, the actual numbers really do not match results. But doctors seem to love prescribed medicine.
Actually, I just had blood work done and all kidney values are perfectly normal.

My sister had high cholesterol. She’s thin and exercises a lot. She changed her diet and got it under control. She does not take medication for it.

As my friend group has hit our 40s, I'm hearing from more and more friends that being thin and exercising a lot just doesn't hide the nutritional sins the way it used to. I've got several friends who are new to either blood pressure or cholesterol meds despite looking like the picture of heath due to their exercise habits that kept the weight off (one is a runner with The. Worst. eating habits I've ever seen - she legit eats like a college kid, all pizza and wings and ramen, but doesn't gain an ounce!).

I've been lucky that my own numbers are still in the normal range, though near the top of it, but I've started making some changes anyway because my mother had a horrible experience with statin side effects and I figure it is easier not to get to the point of needing them than to try to reverse numbers that are already high.

As my friend group has hit our 40s, I'm hearing from more and more friends that being thin and exercising a lot just doesn't hide the nutritional sins the way it used to. I've got several friends who are new to either blood pressure or cholesterol meds despite looking like the picture of heath due to their exercise habits that kept the weight off (one is a runner with The. Worst. eating habits I've ever seen - she legit eats like a college kid, all pizza and wings and ramen, but doesn't gain an ounce!).

I've been lucky that my own numbers are still in the normal range, though near the top of it, but I've started making some changes anyway because my mother had a horrible experience with statin side effects and I figure it is easier not to get to the point of needing them than to try to reverse numbers that are already high.

The opposite can also be true. My mother, through sheer genetic luck, is 72, obese, and diabetic and has absolutely picture perfect heart health. She has always had low cholesterol and low triglycerides her whole life and eats a lot of high calorie foods.

I thankfully have inherited that heart health profile from her, because my dad has been struggling with high cholesterol for over 30 years and has been on a statin forever, despite a much healthier diet than my mom.

At 44, my numbers are great and I can't honestly attribute it to diet and exercise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter