High Cholesterol

toesmom

DIS Veteran
This board, especially the funny memes, has brought me such joy for the past 2 years. Last year my doctor confirmed I had high cholesterol (the bad cholesterol), it was over 5.0, and if I didn't reduce it, she would put prescribe statin. She told me to try Red Yeast Rice and then do blood test again in 3 months. I bought 6 bottles of red yeast rice plus (1200 mg per 2 tablets) and had 4 pills per day since February. Blood work done last week (I waited for 6 months to do the bloodwork, not 3 months), and confirmed today my cholesterol has dropped to 4.2.

I watch my calories (for few years, but still had high cholesterol last year), don't do much exercise, so I attribute the drop in cholesterol primarily to taking the red yeast rice 2x per day.

I'm posting this because I am amazed at the result and wanted to pass it on to others in case you are not aware of this very simple treatment.

Good luck! This may save your life, or life of family member. High cholesterol can lead to stroke or heart attack, so it is crucial to lower it if you can.

Last edited:
I find statins cheaper than Red Yeast and better regulated. Despite exercise and diet changes, mine remains high, so I don't really have a choice. I take Crestor 5mg. I also look at apoB along with the other lipid measures.

I find statins cheaper than Red Yeast and better regulated. Despite exercise and diet changes, mine remains high, so I don't really have a choice. I take Crestor 5mg. I also look at apoB along with the other lipid measures.
thank you for posting this, I appreciate this information. Dr explained once we get to about 60 years, cholesterol generally will increase and statins are typically prescribed. Can you ever stop taking it once you start?

DH has had cholesterol issues since before statins were a "thing". He started at 390, back when total cholesterol was all that was measured, and he had to take slow niacin-that's what doctors recommended back then (late 70s).
BTW, for the poster who mentioned Crestor-that's the only statin that reduces his cholesterol the way it should. At one point our insurance company wouldn't pay for it unless he tried some cheaper statins first. He tried, but the insurance company ended up paying for the Crestor. Between that and dietary changes, he's OK now.

thank you for posting this, I appreciate this information. Dr explained once we get to about 60 years, cholesterol generally will increase and statins are typically prescribed. Can you ever stop taking it once you start?

My husband has been on statins since about age 30 due to familial high cholesterol. He is 43 now. His cholesterol was near 400. On a low dose of Lipitor, its maintained right aroujd 200.

You can stop taking it anytime you want, but it stops protecting you once you do and your cholesterol will go right back up.

I take red yeast rice, works great for me. I’m not sure how your scale relates to the US version, my Total level stays under 200 to keep my doctor happy. I don’t think I would ever agree to take a statin. I think it is great your doctor suggested an alternative, most here just go with prescriptions

I take red yeast rice, works great for me. I’m not sure how your scale relates to the US version, my Total level stays under 200 to keep my doctor happy. I don’t think I would ever agree to take a statin. I think it is great your doctor suggested an alternative, most here just go with prescriptions
I tried 3 different statins and couldn't tolerate any of them. The first 2, I couldn't even stay on for a week. The last one, Livalo, I was fine for the first few months but then gradually it left me feeling like I was 20 years older. I could barely get through the day at work and felt so fatigued, I couldn't do much more than just some laundry all weekend. I even had to get into my car like my grandmother did: butt first, then swing legs up and forward. When I got to the point that I wanted to throw my lunchbox in the trash on my way home walking across our campus because I just didn't have the strength to carry it, I started wondering if it was due to the statin. I took myself off of it and within 3 days, felt like my old self again.

I started seeing a cardiologist who ordered a CT of my heart for calcium scoring. Mine was 24; not high, but not 0 either. He also ordered a special blood test that looks at exactly what type of cholesterol my body makes. Some is bigger and fluffier, that type just floats around and not so harmful. Some is very small & dense; that's the kind that tends to stick to arteries and cause atherosclerosis.Of course, I have the small, dense type.

So, all of these tests help to decide risk factors in a more personalized way instead of generalizing such as family history & diet. He said it's not just about lowering cholesterol to have good numbers to make the doctors happy, it's that statins have a proven history of lowering risk of cardiovascular events such as heart attack and stroke.

He is recommending an injectible and told me to think about it a few months. UGH.

Lately, I've been eating oatmeal for breakfast. My LDL went from 144 to 101. (Normal is 99 and lower.) I also snack on Cheerios when I feel like having something crunchy. He says that doesn't mean I can skip the meds; I still need to lower my risk of a CV event due to the other 2 tests.

I tried 3 different statins and couldn't tolerate any of them. The first 2, I couldn't even stay on for a week. The last one, Livalo, I was fine for the first few months but then gradually it left me feeling like I was 20 years older. I could barely get through the day at work and felt so fatigued, I couldn't do much more than just some laundry all weekend. I even had to get into my car like my grandmother did: butt first, then swing legs up and forward. When I got to the point that I wanted to throw my lunchbox in the trash on my way home walking across our campus because I just didn't have the strength to carry it, I started wondering if it was due to the statin. I took myself off of it and within 3 days, felt like my old self again.

I started seeing a cardiologist who ordered a CT of my heart for calcium scoring. Mine was 24; not high, but not 0 either. He also ordered a special blood test that looks at exactly what type of cholesterol my body makes. Some is bigger and fluffier, that type just floats around and not so harmful. Some is very small & dense; that's the kind that tends to stick to arteries and cause atherosclerosis.Of course, I have the small, dense type.

So, all of these tests help to decide risk factors in a more personalized way instead of generalizing such as family history & diet. He said it's not just about lowering cholesterol to have good numbers to make the doctors happy, it's that statins have a proven history of lowering risk of cardiovascular events such as heart attack and stroke.

He is recommending an injectible and told me to think about it a few months. UGH.

Lately, I've been eating oatmeal for breakfast. My LDL went from 144 to 101. (Normal is 99 and lower.) I also snack on Cheerios when I feel like having something crunchy. He says that doesn't mean I can skip the meds; I still need to lower my risk of a CV event due to the other 2 tests.
My sister had high cholesterol. She’s thin and exercises a lot. She changed her diet and got it under control. She does not take medication for it.

I've had amazing results taking 5mg of Crestor.

Last edited:
More vegetables /fewer processed foods will reduce your cholesterol naturally.

Some doctors do recommend a statin for everyone starting about middle-age. It can reduce the possibility of heart problems or stroke; however, to answer one question from an above poster -- no, once you start taking a statin, you're probably taking it for life. And you should not just up and decide to stop one day -- quitting a statin cold-turkey can bring on just the type of event you're hoping to avoid.

Don't take anyone's word for it here on a message board. Talk to your own doctor and read a variety of articles (not advertisements) online.

I haven't thought about that. I'm in my 40s. I more concerned with not dying from a heart attack in the future. I want to have an active life in my 60-70s. And I'm not convinced my genes are in my favor, so I'll do what I can to make that happen.

I find CoQ10 offsets all of the body aches I initially felt when I first started taking it.

The cost to me is $25 for three months, so it's not a super expensive medication to take.

I know other people (all women) who have had issues with statins.

You brought up a very good point in that the current tests commonly used are NOT good measures of risk. It is a really important point.

My sister had high cholesterol. She’s thin and exercises a lot. She changed her diet and got it under control. She does not take medication for it.
Being thin and exercising a lot doesn't help everyone.

My DH is in the normal range for weight and runs marathons plus does weight training. After a strange ekg reading that was done after passing out after cutting his finger, DH went further testing. His doctor did genetic testing and the doctor told him he has the "you're screwed gene" and no matter what he does with his diet, his cholesterol is alarmingly high and must take a statin. DH was taken of the statin for 6 months at one point to see what his cholesterol level would do. Despite eating a very clean diet, his levels went back up over 500 in those 6 months.

My dad grew up on a farm and was very active and not overweight. His dad died at age 40 of a massive heart attack. My dad had his first at 36 and because of his age, he was not treated as a heart attack victim until it was too late. They put him on a low cholesterol diet but statins were not available at the time. He had another heart attack despite the diet and did not live.

My dad's younger brother had his first heart attack at 39. His last heart attack at 50. His other two brothers also had incredibly high cholesterol that had to be controlled with a statin. My cousin, who is a year younger than me, also is on a statin and has been since turning 30.

Some people absolutely have to take statins because they have the "you're screwed gene." Diet and exercise may help these people, but statins are a must.

My DH is in the normal range for weight and runs marathons plus does weight training. After a strange ekg reading that was done after passing out after cutting his finger, DH went further testing. His doctor did genetic testing and the doctor told him he has the "you're screwed gene" and no matter what he does with his diet, his cholesterol is alarmingly high and must take a statin. DH was taken of the statin for 6 months at one point to see what his cholesterol level would do. Despite eating a very clean diet, his levels went back up over 500 in those 6 months.

My dad grew up on a farm and was very active and not overweight. His dad died at age 40 of a massive heart attack. My dad had his first at 36 and because of his age, he was not treated as a heart attack victim until it was too late. They put him on a low cholesterol diet but statins were not available at the time. He had another heart attack despite the diet and did not live.

My dad's younger brother had his first heart attack at 39. His last heart attack at 50. His other two brothers also had incredibly high cholesterol that had to be controlled with a statin. My cousin, who is a year younger than me, also is on a statin and has been since turning 30.

Some people absolutely have to take statins because they have the "you're screwed gene." Diet and exercise may help these people, but statins are a must.
I think my husband has that "You're screwed gene". His father died of a massive heart attack at 51. DH ran marathons for years, but he had cholesterol in the high 300s the first time it was checked (age 29) right after his father died, and nothing brought it down significantly until Crestor came on the market.

I said all that to make the point that it’s not just people with unhealthy habits who have high cholesterol.

Her doctors don’t feel she needs medication. I don’t have access to her records so I can’t make guesses about why that is.

Do you know what she is eating? Good for her!

Do you know what she is eating? Good for her!
She was diagnosed with ciliac about 10 years ago. She eats a lot of vegetables and grilled meats. She works 12+ hour shifts and eats things like yogurt, string cheese, and fruit when she takes a minute to eat at work. She’s an RN and believes in diet and exercise rather than just taking a pill and making no lifestyle changes. I be wish I had her determination. I don’t take any medications but I’m very overweight. I know I need to do better.

Statins were like poison to me - the side effects were so bad I was refusing treatment entirely. I knew nothing of red yeast rice but I had been asking my doctor for years to define a therapeutic dosage of Omega 3, which she would never do. I was finally referred to an endocrinologist about 6 months ago, who prescribed a relatively new drug called Vescepa, although "drug" is a bit of a misnomer. It's actually a patented form of Omega 3. Seems that now big pharma has found a way to capitalize, it's all the rage amongst prescribers. It's expensive; $700/mo., which is only partially covered by my insurance. But the results have been a shocking drop in my numbers and all the negative effects of the statins are completely resolved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter