*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

Does this resort do Movies under the Stars anymore?
347828615_1475468723191819_7434510199699098085_n.jpg

347883283_1316976972363494_633936504164581404_n.jpg

No. This is the latest activity sheet at the resort which shows what they do have. pirate:

Last edited:
Long time WDW visitors but first time to HHI (coming up at the end of June - 4 adults). We were just looking at resort amenities and are wondering based on descriptions of the two "dining" options if there is any alcohol served on premises.

You might be able to buy some wine in the shop but no alcohol that I know of served on property.

However, there are plenty of restaurants with full bars within a short walk on the other side of the marina and even more a short drive away.

Enjoy your trip!!

Long time WDW visitors but first time to HHI (coming up at the end of June - 4 adults). We were just looking at resort amenities and are wondering based on descriptions of the two "dining" options if there is any alcohol served on premises.

You can buy wine and beer in the gift shop and I know you can get a Dole whip float with rum in it at Tide Me Over. I'm not sure about other cocktails there, but they might offer them. The quick service place at the Beach House does serve alcohol though I've never ordered from it so I can't be specific. We usually just pick up what we want from the grocery or liquor store.

Yes, but with some limitations. TMO and Surfmen's Sand Bar both serve adult beverages, though the selection is limited to things like the adult Dole Whip and smooth bar drinks such as pina colada or daiquiris. Further, the hours at both are limited. Occasionally, there will be a special event such as a beer tasting or guest mixer where 2-3 mixed drinks are sold. (Edited to add that on some recent videos I've seen, it appears you can get a few more drinks from both TMO and the Surfmen's Sand Bar than I realized. Still, the selection is limited.) However, if you looking for a true bar with food, then as Suzabella says, there are nearby options, and the island itself is loaded with plenty of spots to imbibe and eat. As Pens Fan suggests, the best option might be to buy your own then sit out on your balcony to enjoy! HHI is a laid back place--what we call the low country vibe--so you won't find the rush-rush adrenaline really exists here. So many good places to eat and drink, there's never really an issue.

That being said, the end of June will find the entire island bustling as it's right in the middle of the busy season for the locale and resort. So, you will find some traffic and some restaurants are tough to get into because they don't take reservations. Still, it's not like most beach vacation areas where it's nothing but streets and cars--way prettier than those and more laid back. And lots of restaurants DO take reservations, or you just go early to the ones that don't. Relax, kick back, and enjoy! pirate:

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses. Does anyone know if you can bring alcohol to the pool area. We aren't looking for party all day but had visions of a margarita at the pool in the heat of the day.

Thank you for the responses. Does anyone know if you can bring alcohol to the pool area. We aren't looking for party all day but had visions of a margarita at the pool in the heat of the day.
Yes you can but no glass bottles for obvious reasons. 👍

You can. I've brought beer to both pool areas but they were in cans and not bottles.

Yes. You can actually take the drinks they serve at TMO and Surfmen's Sand Bar into the pool area (the latter sits at the pool), as well. As Smugpugmug says, no glass containers, however.

Headed to DHHIR next weekend and wondering if there are ice makers in the villas or ice trays? Trying to figure out if I need to pack ice trays or not. Also, one in our traveling party has to have a fan blowing on him. Are there ceiling fans in the villa bedrooms and would housekeeping happen to have box fans if needed? We will be in a grand villa. So excited, it's been at least 7 or 8 years since we've stayed at the HH resort and we've never stayed in a grand villa!

Headed to DHHIR next weekend and wondering if there are ice makers in the villas or ice trays? Trying to figure out if I need to pack ice trays or not. Also, one in our traveling party has to have a fan blowing on him. Are there ceiling fans in the villa bedrooms and would housekeeping happen to have box fans if needed? We will be in a grand villa. So excited, it's been at least 7 or 8 years since we've stayed at the HH resort and we've never stayed in a grand villa!
There are ice makers in refrigerators, though you have to turn them on when you first get there as one of the items on the housekeeping list is to empty the ice tray and turn off the ice maker. There are also ice trays available should you need more. Should you need even more ice, and quickly, then there are two options. Go to the pool recreation window and ask them to fill up your container (there's a huge ice making machine in the cast member only area, or you can walk over to Bldg 12, and on the same floor as the check-in desk, and mere steps away from Big Murggie's Den, there is an ice machine in the same room as the washers and dryers for those guests in the studios.

As for ceiling fans, the answer is a definite "yes!" Every BR has one, as does the living area, the one there sits high up as the ceiling is vaulted. If you do need a box fan, simply call the front desk, and they'll have one delivered to you. There are usually a half dozen or so in the warehouse under Bldg 12, and a few others that are scattered throughout the property in various housekeeping closets. Enjoy!

And just to add to what was said, no ice maker in the studio. Your only options are at the Recreation desk or the Building 12 Ice Machine.
And sleepydog25, I'd love to get a peek at that warehouse under Building 12 sometime!

There are ice makers in refrigerators, though you have to turn them on when you first get there as one of the items on the housekeeping list is to empty the ice tray and turn off the ice maker.
This is something I've never understood about any of the DVC villas we have stayed in. I understand dumping the ice being part of the in between guests check list. That makes sense. But I've never understood why they leave the ice maker turned off. It took us a few trips to get used to turning that on the very first thing after going for ice and finding none on our first few trips as DVC owners. I'm sure there is some reason I'm not thinking of, but it's something we all chuckle about each trip, trying to figure out why it's always turned off. I figured if anyone would know it would be you
:) .

This is something I've never understood about any of the DVC villas we have stayed in. I understand dumping the ice being part of the in between guests check list. That makes sense. But I've never understood why they leave the ice maker turned off. It took us a few trips to get used to turning that on the very first thing after going for ice and finding none on our first few trips as DVC owners. I'm sure there is some reason I'm not thinking of, but it's something we all chuckle about each trip, trying to figure out why it's always turned off. I figured if anyone would know it would be you
You have to think like the average guest. . .at least how Disney views such.pirate: When the average guest checks into the room, and they open the freezer compartment and see ice, their first thought might be (from the Disney housekeeping perspective), "Oh, they didn't fully inspect my room because there is ice left over in the fridge." No ice = cleaned/inspected. Same sort of reasoning goes into other simple housekeeping decisions. If the roll of TP looks too depleted, change it for a new roll because it makes a better impression (even though the current roll still "works"). Now, not every housekeeper has the same idea of what constitutes depleted. Same with paper towels and a dozen other little details the housekeeper must do and inspectors must, well, inspect. Even with all that attention to detail, obviously things get overlooked or missed. But, that's the thought process. One last thing, although it doesn't happen real often, a particular room may not be rented for a couple of days or more, or it might get pulled from inventory because it needs a deep clean or there's an issue with the a/c unit, etc., and if the ice maker has been placed in the ON position then there might be a crap ton of ice after a few days.

And just to add to what was said, no ice maker in the studio. Your only options are at the Recreation desk or the Building 12 Ice Machine.
And sleepydog25, I'd love to get a peek at that warehouse under Building 12 sometime!
Good point! No ice makers in the studios. The closest ice machine to 11, 12, and 16 is the one near Big Murggie's Den. It's pretty much the same distance from 18 and 19 to either the 12 ice machine or the pool, and definitely closer for 28 and 30 to walk to the pool.

Well, if you got to know well a CM who has an access fob to the warehouse, he or she might like you take a peek. However, due to liability issues (blah, blah, blah), technically they're not supposed to take you inside. I will say it's not huge, but it houses so many items in every corner and on so many shelves. It takes a good 3-4 months to learn where everything is. But, chances are if you need something that's not too esoteric, there are a few of them in that mini-warehouse, from toiletries, to coffee fixings, to silverware, to cleaning supplies, to paper supplies, and box fans. There are ionic air scrubbers for those who insist on such things. Shower caps. Shower curtains and liners. And the list goes on and on. Even engineering keeps most of their inventory there for smaller things such as pipes, joints, electrical components, bulbs, and all manners of items. Steam mop in the room doesn't work? Warehouse has extras. Vacuums? Same. Jam-packed. pirate:

I might have a few pics of the warehouse though. . .

Last edited:
In addition to @sleepydog25 ‘s thoughts above, it also occurred to me that some guests are very concerned, even suspicious, about the possibility of contamination, accidental or intentional, and throw out (waste) the perfectly good ice in order to make their own.

In addition to @sleepydog25 ‘s thoughts above, it also occurred to me that some guests are very concerned, even suspicious, about the possibility of contamination, accidental or intentional, and throw out (waste) the perfectly good ice in order to make their own.

Guilty. I'm not a germaphobe but that one gets me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter