• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

Surprisingly, the CMs said that it's not that unusual for there to be availability for studios and 1 Brs, but no availability for 2 Brs. We were there 1 Easter, and I overheard someone ask if they could stay an extra day. The CM said that they'd have to move to a 1 BR because there was no availability in 2 BRs. I later asked why, and the CM told me that the resort tended to attract more large family groups, even extended families, but not as many of us couples. But I still am holding my breath as we hope for a 1 Br reservation at 7 months.
Wow! I can't believe that the 1-BR was available but no 2-BRs. There are 76 2-BRs there compared to 21 1-BRs. We normally book a 1-BR for a fall trip using our HHI points, but next year we plan on starting to try for a studio in the spring using our AKV points instead of going to WDW. Since it's not summer, I'm hoping it won't be a problem. It's getting close to time to book, and I keep watching the website. So far there is availability for the week we want to go. We are retired and work part-time with flexible schedules, so the good news is if it's booked the week we want to go, we can adjust our dates. Hopefully that helps us!

Hilton Head doesn’t really have a true “season” anymore. It used to be summer and now its more early March to November. But honestly last year January was about the only time it was truly “quiet” and Easter last year was slammed. Our church actually asked us to park in a different area due to all the visitors on the island.

I've noticed that none of the last few activity calendars have a "Naturalist's Corner" listed. I'm hoping this is still available and just not on the calendar anymore? We just offered on a contract here, and a big part of that was how much my kids LOVED having an on-site, easily accessible naturalist and nature-based activities!

Cassie, who was the naturalist for many years, has moved on. We were just there and the naturalist activities were only Sunday and Thursday (beach walk, resort walk and bird count). I believe they just started training a new naturalist so hopefully the activities will ramp back up. The staff at the pool house said that the Naturalist’s Corner is now their break room.

Cassie, who was the naturalist for many years, has moved on. We were just there and the naturalist activities were only Sunday and Thursday (beach walk, resort walk and bird count). I believe they just started training a new naturalist so hopefully the activities will ramp back up. The staff at the pool house said that the Naturalist’s Corner is now their break room.
Oh no! Cassie was the BEST! I hate to hear she has left!!!

I'm glad they found someone new!! I did some research and found a job posting from late Spring for a Naturalist at HHI. Hopefully you're right and things will ramp up.

Generally speaking, 2BRs will still be easier to get during the "less busy" season. As mentioned above, there is no true slow season at DHHIR anymore, just slower...and it's not really a season, either. It's a few weeks in Jan/Feb, and a few days scattered throughout the rest of the year. Part of the reason, a large part, is that HHI is now a year-round destination. It's not a sleepy little burg between Dec and March--it's largely wide open.

It's also important to note that while HHI may not have a true slow season anymore, the resort at least, does slow down in terms of tempo between Nov and the advent of spring break (save for the major holidays). While the rooms may still be difficult to snag, there are far fewer people at the actual resort because most families are in the middle of a school year. Thus, a large number of the resort's guests are couples without kids. Instead of having a family of 6-8 in a 2BR, it's not unusual to have just two adults who couldn't get a 1BR or studio. So, while the resort may be fully booked, it's still quieter. For the record, once the resort opened up in June of 2020, until the last time I saw the figures, the resort was between 95-100% booked nearly every day save for a handful when it would drop to "only" 90%+/- occupancy. A lot of that had to do with DVC members needing to use their points and HHI and VB being the only resorts open at first. Now, the secret is out. pirate:

Yes, the secret is out. And although that makes it more difficult for long time owners such as myself to get rooms, whose first DVC experience was the Hilton Head dvc, I think that's a good thing.

Changing the dynamic from 'how long before DVC sells off DHHIR' to 90 to 100% occupancy year round has my mind more at ease that it will be retained at least through 2042.

And, as someone who has been a member for over 20 years, I remember when people would visit and come on the disboards and would complain that the resort was not beachfront. And that it did not have restaurants. And that it was boring. I believe those sentiments kept a lot of people away.

They simply excluded all the reasons that people go there now and which many of us continue to visit for. Fortunately, even when full, this resort has plenty of room for anyone seeking a peaceful experience and to enjoy the laid back low country.

Any word on resort renovation timing? Trying to decide if I should hold out until complete...or can I wait that long!?

We are doing our first vacation at DHHIR in 2 weeks and we are so excited! We usually do a vacation to Vero Beach, but decided to try HHI and I am sure we will not be disappointed. I have a question regarding bike rentals. We are planning to rent from Hilton Head Outfitters and have the bikes delivered to the resort. We of course won't know our villa number until we check in so I am just putting down the resort address. Has anyone used this company before and had bikes delivered to the resort?

Generally speaking, 2BRs will still be easier to get during the "less busy" season. As mentioned above, there is no true slow season at DHHIR anymore, just slower...and it's not really a season, either. It's a few weeks in Jan/Feb, and a few days scattered throughout the rest of the year. Part of the reason, a large part, is that HHI is now a year-round destination. It's not a sleepy little burg between Dec and March--it's largely wide open.

It's also important to note that while HHI may not have a true slow season anymore, the resort at least, does slow down in terms of tempo between Nov and the advent of spring break (save for the major holidays). While the rooms may still be difficult to snag, there are far fewer people at the actual resort because most families are in the middle of a school year. Thus, a large number of the resort's guests are couples without kids. Instead of having a family of 6-8 in a 2BR, it's not unusual to have just two adults who couldn't get a 1BR or studio. So, while the resort may be fully booked, it's still quieter. For the record, once the resort opened up in June of 2020, until the last time I saw the figures, the resort was between 95-100% booked nearly every day save for a handful when it would drop to "only" 90%+/- occupancy. A lot of that had to do with DVC members needing to use their points and HHI and VB being the only resorts open at first. Now, the secret is out. pirate:
I am happy to see new people enjoying our home resort! I know it got us hooked on dvc! Haha

Yes, the secret is out. And although that makes it more difficult for long time owners such as myself to get rooms, whose first DVC experience was the Hilton Head dvc, I think that's a good thing.

Changing the dynamic from 'how long before DVC sells off DHHIR' to 90 to 100% occupancy year round has my mind more at ease that it will be retained at least through 2042.

And, as someone who has been a member for over 20 years, I remember when people would visit and come on the disboards and would complain that the resort was not beachfront. And that it did not have restaurants. And that it was boring. I believe those sentiments kept a lot of people away.

They simply excluded all the reasons that people go there now and which many of us continue to visit for. Fortunately, even when full, this resort has plenty of room for anyone seeking a peaceful experience and to enjoy the laid back low country.
Since Dhhir remains at near capacity since the june 2020 and it is so small, I think disney will keep it until 2042. I hope at least!

Any word on resort renovation timing? Trying to decide if I should hold out until complete...or can I wait that long!?
Some people are reporting getting communication about late September for the start date. Not sure how long the renovations will take though. Since you are nearby, you should still visit!

Best month to visit:
Trying to decide between June/July .
Any special things, festivals ,etc, happening at HHI or surrounding areas , during those months?

Concidering 2nd week of March also, for spring break. My concern is ,regarding the weather in order to enjoy the beach.

TIA

Best month to visit:
Any special things, festivals ,etc, happening at HHI or surrounding areas , during those months?

Concidering 2nd week of March also, for spring break. My concern is ,regarding the weather in order to enjoy the beach.

TIA
March-pools are heated
June and July are fireworks on tuesday nights except on the 4th of july.
Points are lower in march and the first week of june if interested.

I've never considered them not keeping it until 2042. Our contracts can't end early. Wouldn't that be illegal?
Correct, Disney can't end your ownership until Jan. 31, 2042. I guess they could sell off the land, but DVC Members' ownership of the buildings would continue, and you'd have new management - not sure how that would work with South Carolina timeshare laws.. So I don't see them doing anything until 2042, but I can see them selling HH and VB after those timeshares end.

Best month to visit:

TIA
June, early as hhisc16 suggests, is better. The weather is warm by then but not usually quite as overpowering as July. While the island truly hits full tilt by 4 July, June can be a little better for crowds. There are always festivals going on in either month, and yes, the fireworks are each Tuesday, I believe, except as noted on the week of 4 July. While poor weather can happen anytime, March is more hit and miss in terms of beach days--could be warm and lovely or 60 and rainy or breezy. Ocean is still cold in March, too. My rank order based on your criteria:
1. Early June (first week or so)
2. Rest of June
3. July
4. March

June, early as hhisc16 suggests, is better. The weather is warm by then but not usually quite as overpowering as July. While the island truly hits full tilt by 4 July, June can be a little better for crowds. There are always festivals going on in either month, and yes, the fireworks are each Tuesday, I believe, except as noted on the week of 4 July. While poor weather can happen anytime, March is more hit and miss in terms of beach days--could be warm and lovely or 60 and rainy or breezy. Ocean is still cold in March, too. My rank order based on your criteria:
1. Early June (first week or so)
2. Rest of June
3. July
4. March

Thank you for your in put. I will look into June

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter