*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

Restaurants: This is a difficult one because there are hundreds of restaurants on the island, and everyone will have his/her favorites. Personally, I don't bother with BBQ, diner, or burger type places--those you can find anywhere. For seafood, you have lots of great choices, and while I will give you my short list, others will surely make other recommendations and will be just as valid.
Fishcamp on Broad Creek--My favorite and you can make reservations unlike many other places. Very good raw bar and a superb shrimp and grits.
Skull Creek Boathouse--Very good, extensive menu, best low country boil around, no reservations. Get there very early or prepare to wait a long time.
Hudson's on the Dock--Also good but like Skull Creek Boathouse, they don't take reservations so be prepared to wait.
Ela's on the Water--Right across the marina from the resort--walk it in 10 minutes. Good food, service, views, and they take reservations.
If you want the best Italian for a change of pace, Nunzio's, Michael Anthony's, and OMBRA Cucina are all excellent with the nod going to Nunzio's as the best. All three take reservations. Finally, for a very good pastry or savory baked item, Hilton Head Social Bakery--also just across the marina--is superb if pricey (raspberry macaron--$8).

Well, I think that about answers all your questions for now. Enjoy!

Great list. I think I would add Coast and Quarterdeck. Both take reservations too which is not easy to find. If you can’t get reservations at this point I would suggest getting an early dinner before 5 or you will wait for hours at any of these. Be at Hudsons right at 4:30 when they open the deck. People also love Salty Dog in Sea Pines but its more of a tourist trap then anything in my opinion. Good outdoor deck though plus great hush puppies and ice cream.

Also would throw in Jane’s for breakfast

Has anyone eaten at Nectar Farm Kitchen? The menu looks great!
I haven’t but I have heard good things.

Another tip….and I haven’t read through the whole thread so maybe its been mentioned but the SERG Takeout Kitchen is another big locals trick in the busy summer. It has many of the most popular meals from all the Serg group restaurants frozen. The meals even come with the foil needed to reheat in the oven. We live there 1/2 time and I always keep the freezer stocked with Serg meals for a quick, great dinner. They also have fresh salads and desserts. So easy and pricing not at all bad. You just run in and pick out what you want from the freezers or you can order ahead via website or calling.

Be at Hudsons right at 4:30 when they open the deck.
People also love Salty Dog in Sea Pines but its more of a tourist trap then anything in my opinion.
Agree with both statements. In fact, we avoid Sea Pines altogether (live here) as it has very little to offer that the rest of the island doesn't have, and it costs $9 to drive through the gates to get there and during the summer is very crowded. The very definition of a tourist trap.
Yes, it's quite good.

Another tip….and I haven’t read through the whole thread so maybe its been mentioned but the SERG Takeout Kitchen is another big locals trick in the busy summer. It has many of the most popular meals from all the Serg group restaurants frozen. The meals even come with the foil needed to reheat in the oven. We live there 1/2 time and I always keep the freezer stocked with Serg meals for a quick, great dinner. They also have fresh salads and desserts. So easy and pricing not at all bad. You just run in and pick out what you want from the freezers or you can order ahead via website or calling.

SERG Takeout Kitchen is amazing! You can also check their website for meals that are ready to eat. We've done microwavable and ready to eat. Everything we've had there has been delicious.

Had their sweet potato pancakes with peach butter-loved them!
I've never been to Fishcamp in my many trips, but I definitely will next time!

Great idea! We go off season, and lots of times in the evenings it gets dark early and we just don't want to go out for dinner. One day we could pick up a few meals to have on-hand.

Agree with both statements. In fact, we avoid Sea Pines altogether (live here) as it has very little to offer that the rest of the island doesn't have, and it costs $9 to drive through the gates to get there and during the summer is very crowded. The very definition of a tourist trap.

Yes, it's quite good.
Very much agree except I do give Quarterdeck a nod here because they do take the $9 off the bill (bring your gate receipt) and so many people want the iconic lighthouse photos

Refurb update:
We were at dhhir during 4th of july and saw appliances getting delivered during our stay.

Unsure about the timeline of the refurb, but it looks like someone got communication about construction during mid-september at dhhir.

Does anyone have any info on the luau that they started offering on Tuesday? Will be there in a few weeks and thinking about checking that out.

I've noticed that none of the last few activity calendars have a "Naturalist's Corner" listed. I'm hoping this is still available and just not on the calendar anymore? We just offered on a contract here, and a big part of that was how much my kids LOVED having an on-site, easily accessible naturalist and nature-based activities!

Thank you! We are so excited! We got a chance to take our girls for their first beach trip 2 years ago and stayed at HHI and they loved it! No, it's not right on the beach but the resort was so awesome and the Disney pool house is so great, we just had to purchase so we can go back. Availability at 7 months is non existent so now at 11 we should have a fair shot. Can't wait to book our first trip home!
We don't own at Hilton Head, but have been amazingly lucky booking at 7 months. 7 days in a studio last August, and 7 days in a studio this year 8/17 - 8/24. I check daily, and probably snagged cancelations. Just lucky, I guess. Especially lucky since there are few studios at DHHIR, 24 I believe.

Great list. I think I would add Coast and Quarterdeck. Both take reservations too which is not easy to find. If you can’t get reservations at this point I would suggest getting an early dinner before 5 or you will wait for hours at any of these. Be at Hudsons right at 4:30 when they open the deck. People also love Salty Dog in Sea Pines but its more of a tourist trap then anything in my opinion. Good outdoor deck though plus great hush puppies and ice cream.

Also would throw in Jane’s for breakfast
Giuseppe's, very near the resort, has some of the best pizza we've ever eaten, and a happy hour (4-6 ?) for those who care to indulge in an adult beverage.

We don't own at Hilton Head, but have been amazingly lucky booking at 7 months. 7 days in a studio last August, and 7 days in a studio this year 8/17 - 8/24. I check daily, and probably snagged cancelations. Just lucky, I guess. Especially lucky since there are few studios at DHHIR, 24 I believe.
Actually only 21. So you ARE lucky! We lucked out in 2009 and were able to book a stay during the summer (can't remember if it was a studio or a 1-BR but there are the same number of them). We fell in love and immediately added on points as soon as we got back home. We knew we probably wouldn't be able to replicate that luck year after year.

Surprisingly, the CMs said that it's not that unusual for there to be availability for studios and 1 Brs, but no availability for 2 Brs. We were there 1 Easter, and I overheard someone ask if they could stay an extra day. The CM said that they'd have to move to a 1 BR because there was no availability in 2 BRs. I later asked why, and the CM told me that the resort tended to attract more large family groups, even extended families, but not as many of us couples. But I still am holding my breath as we hope for a 1 Br reservation at 7 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter