Herniated Cervical disc and rides

KMP12

Mouseketeer
Hello all. We go in 60 days and we made our FPs today! Last spring I was diagnosed with a cervial herniated disc. It was pretty much. I have done a lot of therapy and been pain free for awhile. My surgeon told me I can run, lift weights, lift heavy and live life. He said nothing like boxing or jumping off something very high to cause a huge jolt. I feel comfortable doing tower of terror but really wanna do rockin roller coaster. I havent done it since I was a kid and can't remember how jarring it is? Can you all give me some insight?

I also have a herniated cervical disc that can act up from time to time. Rockin' Rollercoaster should be fine (but know that I am not giving official medical advice!). The restraints keep your head in place pretty firmly.
Of all the rides that I went on, space mountain was the worst because it has sudden drops that would irritate the nerve.

RnR is a rather smooth ride as inverting roller coasters go, but how it makes you feel is going to be 100% unique to you and you alone. I've got all kinds of joint issues...bad hip, multiple herniations, etc... None of the rides at WDW bother me at all. But that doesn't mean they won't bother you. If your doctor says you can ride, then ride if you want. I wouldn't see a reason not to ride Space Mountain unless you've been told not to or past experience tells you it'll be painful.

I was also going to recommend staying off Space Mtn. The other one that I would think about, or at least ask for the front row on, is Big Thunder Mountain, as you can get tossed around pretty good, especially from the middle to the end of the train.

We just got back a few days ago and DH has back problems too. I would avoid Space for sure— it us very jerky. Frozen Ever After also jarred dd & I quite a bit and we agreed her dad should avoid it.
I’m not sure if that’s normal as it’s the only time we’ve been on it.
Test Track also has a few sudden stops and definitely avoid Dinosaur.

My husband didn't have any trouble on any of the rides. Of course it is a risk but it was one he wanted to take and despite my fears, it didn't end up hurting him. We skipped Thunder Mountain though knowing how jerky that one it.

I've done Thunder Mountain at least a dozen times since herniating both my L5 and C5 discs. The lumbar one doesn't cause much, if any discomfort, but the C5 one acts up if I sneeze or throw a ball too hard. Everybody will be affected differently, but I have never found Thunder Mountain to be too jerky. Toy Story Midway Mania is jerkier than Thunder in my mind.

IMO - jerkiest rides - Space Mountain, Dinosaur, Safari. Thunder Mountain, depending one where you sit.

I no longer do Dinosaur or Space. Safari isn't too bad if you sit more up front. Avoid the back.

C5-6 herniated disc - had disc replacement surgery in 2017. I do Space sometimes, RnR never (inversion), Thunder never, FOP is fine, 7D is fine, SDD is fine, Splash fine. Basically I don't do anything upside-down or reverse. However, at the point I was at Disney right before my surgery, I was very very bad - nerve damage is permanent, but I can hold a coffee cup now, post-surgery, and I can write again.

C5-6 herniated disc - had disc replacement surgery in 2017. I do Space sometimes, RnR never (inversion), Thunder never, FOP is fine, 7D is fine, SDD is fine, Splash fine. Basically I don't do anything upside-down or reverse. However, at the point I was at Disney right before my surgery, I was very very bad - nerve damage is permanent, but I can hold a coffee cup now, post-surgery, and I can write again.

I am c5/c6 too and have managed to get away from surgery. I feel very lucky so far

I would sit closer to the front of RNR where it is less bouncy the back is way to bounce for me ( like the last 2 cars)

Very timely thread - my sister just had surgery on her L4/L5 for a herniated disc and I was wondering what rides she'd need to skip (trip summer 2020). My husband had the same surgery on the same discs 11 years ago and he's done Space, 7D, and SDD without issues. I think Frozen bothered him. He has some motion sensitivity so the other rides he skips (and hence I don't know if my sister should skip them).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter