Help with decision

MrsHeg

DIS Veteran
With our family trip that we have been planning for quite some time, as it will be our granddaughter's first trip we're really excited.

So of course something comes up to put a damper on things, I've been diagnosed with Haglund's deformity, physical therapy didn't help so the next option will be surgery. I can't have it done and miss work before the second week in June which is way too close to our trip, so I am choosing to wait until afterwards.

Although I can walk, I can't walk any distance without a lot of pain, and we all know that won't work at Disney, so I'll be renting a wheelchair for sure. I'd like to have it at the resort for getting around there also but I don't want to deal with loading all the time it takes to load one off and on the buses, since I can walk can we fold the chair up and make this process easier and faster?

My daughter has MS, so the walking required at Disney is very difficult. We get preferred room and call resort a week before arrival and explain situation. we ask for room closest to bus line and food court regardless of view. CMs have always done an exvellent job of meeting our needs. This way we do not have to worry about wheelchair at resort or when using bus. Then we get a length of stay rental for wheelchair at parks.

If you have a standard wheelchair then yes you can fold it up on the bus and hold it like others would hold a stroller rather than having to deal with tying it down.

I have sent you a PM.

I wish more people would join in on thoughts regarding your upcoming family trip.

:goodvibes

Angel16

not sure how folding up like a stroller is going to help with buses. not sure if you canmake it thru front area. still might have to go up the ramp. loading large strollers also slows down loading buses. use the wheelchair as you need it and enjoy your vacation. i would definetly rent from offsite and have use at resort and in bus lines waiting.

not sure how folding up like a stroller is going to help with buses. not sure if you canmake it thru front area. still might have to go up the ramp. loading large strollers also slows down loading buses. use the wheelchair as you need it and enjoy your vacation. i would definetly rent from offsite and have use at resort and in bus lines waiting.

the front door it wide enough for a folded or un folded chair to make it though on non disney buses they load wheelchairs the front door. DIsney had them move it to the back door they thought it was to tight of a turn through the front. taking in to account the comfort and safety on guest and paid more to have it in the back. they could fold it before the bus gets their then lift it on the bus and put it in front of them. the only thing is if their no seat they my be better off using the back door and be tie down. but if their no room or the driver can't safely make it to the back they will call for another bus. your right the op should not worry about slowing down the bus if they need to use the ramp then they should.

When we used a standard wheelchair for DD11 (just turned 10 at the time) due to a broken ankle, folding it like a stroller definitely was easy, at least on the busses that are lower with the ramp (the busses with the lift and stairs we had to board through the back using the lift). The drivers would always offer to fold out the ramp for us but if we were at the front then we'd just wheel the chair on and fold it up and hold it rather than taking the time to have the driver strap down the chair. I wish we had have known about that option earlier in our trip because it would have a saved us a lot of hassle. Even when using the lift a the back, just folding it up and holding it is a lot easier than having the driver strap it down plus it takes up less room that way.

I'm not saying that people should feel pressured to take less time or space because nobody should feel that way. I'm just sharing that we were much happier when we knew we had the option to just hold the chair folded up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter