Animation Fanatic

People call me J-Way...
I really couldn't find a perfect place to put this thread, so I figured it was park related so I'm starting here...

I'm an animator and am about to venture into grad school this fall...

Ok..! A little bit of an anecdote to provide some context to my question:

Picture it! (Sophia Petrillo fan!) 1993... I was a 5 year old little girl, was quite the ham, and loved all things Disney. It was my first 'real' time to Disney World as I had no recollection of going when I was 2. I was in awe of everything. The castle was brilliant. The parades were spectacular (literally... SpectroMagic). Spaceship Earth took my breath away. MGM Studios was my jam. But... there was one particular attraction that changed my life forever... THE MAGIC OF DISNEY ANIMATION.

The pictures in the que were good. The "Return to Neverland" prelude was incredible... seeing an actual animator draw a character and talk about the films being made there floored me, but... and this is a BIG but, the video in the hall way while you waited to enter into the Disney Theater at the end of the tour to view the "The Once Upon a Time the Magic of Disney Animation" montage was the thing that changed my life...

I am trying to find footage of that video. Between 2000 and 2003 they removed this video... it was played on a big screen that consisted of several TVs put together... it featured influential Disney Animators talking about their art... It had Glen Keane talking about animating Pocahontas's eyes in the scene where she meets John Smith, Eric Goldberg referencing himself as he animated Phil not Danny DeVito... it had Andreas Deja talking about animating Jafar and Scar. These Animators talked about their art in a way that made you 'know' that the art form changed their lives in ways that they couldn't have even dreamed. This video provoked so much emotion inside of me... that when I saw it for the last time at the age of 11 or 12, I literally cried... this was the video that made me want to be an Animator and be who I am...

If anyone has any video footage of said video... you will be my Hero! I'm trying to find it, because I feel like I need to return "home" to it... it's part of my 'why.' Since, I'm going to be going to grad school to receive my MFA this fall I felt that seeing the thing, the thing that inspired it all might provoke or inspire the best parts of me. I tend to be a bit sentimental and if anyone had footage of this or a way for me to view it again... it would literally mean the world to me...

Thanks...

The screen was where this yellow wall was...
The-Magic-of-Disney-Animation_Full_24706.jpg

So sorry that I cannot help your cause, but you're right...it was wonderful! I drew Daisy the day I was there...which is some kind of miracle given my lack of artistic gifts. I hope you find your video.

I really couldn't find a perfect place to put this thread, so I figured it was park related so I'm starting here...

I'm an animator and am about to venture into grad school this fall...

Ok..! A little bit of an anecdote to provide some context to my question:

Picture it! (Sophia Petrillo fan!) 1993... I was a 5 year old little girl, was quite the ham, and loved all things Disney. It was my first 'real' time to Disney World as I had no recollection of going when I was 2. I was in awe of everything. The castle was brilliant. The parades were spectacular (literally... SpectroMagic). Spaceship Earth took my breath away. MGM Studios was my jam. But... there was one particular attraction that changed my life forever... THE MAGIC OF DISNEY ANIMATION.

The pictures in the que were good. The "Return to Neverland" prelude was incredible... seeing an actual animator draw a character and talk about the films being made there floored me, but... and this is a BIG but, the video in the hall way while you waited to enter into the Disney Theater at the end of the tour to view the "The Once Upon a Time the Magic of Disney Animation" montage was the thing that changed my life...

I am trying to find footage of that video. Between 2000 and 2003 they removed this video... it was played on a big screen that consisted of several TVs put together... it featured influential Disney Animators talking about their art... It had Glen Keane talking about animating Pocahontas's eyes in the scene where she meets John Smith, Eric Goldberg referencing himself as he animated Phil not Danny DeVito... it had Andreas Deja talking about animating Jafar and Scar. These Animators talked about their art in a way that made you 'know' that the art form changed their lives in ways that they couldn't have even dreamed. This video provoked so much emotion inside of me... that when I saw it for the last time at the age of 11 or 12, I literally cried... this was the video that made me want to be an Animator and be who I am...

If anyone has any video footage of said video... you will be my Hero! I'm trying to find it, because I feel like I need to return "home" to it... it's part of my 'why.' Since, I'm going to be going to grad school to receive my MFA this fall I felt that seeing the thing, the thing that inspired it all might provoke or inspire the best parts of me. I tend to be a bit sentimental and if anyone had footage of this or a way for me to view it again... it would literally mean the world to me...

Thanks...

First of all congrats on your degree and awesome career choice!

The video I believe you are looking for is called "Animators on Animation". Here are two articles (1 and 2) that briefly describe the video:

"Animators on Animation" is an interview/documentary with famous Disney animators delving into the reasons why these artists chose animation as their life long careers."

"The final film on the tour is a continuously running video called "Animators on Animation". This film was an interview/documentary with famous Disney animators delving into the reasons why these artists chose animation as their life long careers. "You believe the character is alive," confesses one of the animators who so identify with their characters that they can take on their personalities. As an example, you'd see a low-key animator litterally turn into the blowsy, evil Ursula from The Little Mermaid right before your eyes."

I've been trying to find a video of this film for you, but have no luck yet. This is the closest I have gotten. You're best bet in finding the video is to find a home video walk through of the entire attraction from the time. You could also try emailing Disney to see if they have any more info on the film.

First of all congrats on your degree and awesome career choice!

"Animators on Animation"

I've been trying to find a video of this film for you, but have no luck yet. This is the closest I have gotten. You're best bet in finding the video is to find a home video walk through of the entire attraction from the time. You could also try emailing Disney to see if they have any more info on the film.

Oh goodness!!! Thank you so much! I finally have a title. "Animators on Animation" that's fantastic! I have looked at several B roll footage videos via DailyMotion, YouTube, and Vimeo. I have also spent hours upon hours looking at old videos of other people's trip videos in the 1990's at MGM... still nothing.

I will try calling Disney. I have already asked the company about it in the past which lead to another dead end... I guess it's worth another try. I would get the actual video then... not a video of a video...

But I would accept that too... maybe someone on here will come up with it... I'm hoping...

That first version of the film with Robin Williams and Walter Cronkite was a classic.

So sad that those hosts are no longer with us.
Everytime I hear the Genie on the Wishes soundtrack or on the World of Color soundtrack I cry.

"Back to Neverland" is actually on YouTube FYI... it's a video of a video, but it's still a great memory.

Oh goodness!!! Thank you so much! I finally have a title. "Animators on Animation" that's fantastic! I have looked at several B roll footage videos via DailyMotion, YouTube, and Vimeo. I have also spent hours upon hours looking at old videos of other people's trip videos in the 1990's at MGM... still nothing.

I will try calling Disney. I have already asked the company about it in the past which lead to another dead end... I guess it's worth another try. I would get the actual video then... not a video of a video...

But I would accept that too... maybe someone on here will come up with it... I'm hoping...

Just because I like to be helpful... I asked the great marni1971 over at wdwmagic.com forums if he has this film in his vast archive. He thinks he might have a recording of it, but will have to check. If he finds it, I will link you to the video!

Just because I like to be helpful... I asked the great marni1971 over at wdwmagic.com forums if he has this film in his vast archive. He thinks he might have a recording of it, but will have to check. If he finds it, I will link you to the video!
YES!!! Oh my gosh!!!! Yes... yes... please let me know! Thank you!

Any updates?

I signed up for the first time on the DisBoards because of this thread... I'm an animator as well. Every once and a while I search for this video. I made a search a few days ago and stumbled upon this thread. Never knew the exact title to the video. Thank you for that. If this video is found, please notify me. I'm trying to find it too... this video/movie/footage/whatever... had an extreme amount of influence on me.

John Lasseter talks about the moment that he wanted to become an animator; he was reading a book as a kid, written by Bob Thomas, where he had an epiphany on the fact that people actually get paid to make cartoons. Well this video was this moment for me.

Thank you Animation Fanatic for posting.

I signed up for the first time on the DisBoards because of this thread... I'm an animator as well. Every once and a while I search for this video. I made a search a few days ago and stumbled upon this thread. Never knew the exact title to the video. Thank you for that. If this video is found, please notify me. I'm trying to find it too... this video/movie/footage/whatever... had an extreme amount of influence on me.

John Lasseter talks about the moment that he wanted to become an animator; he was reading a book as a kid, written by Bob Thomas, where he had an epiphany on the fact that people actually get paid to make cartoons. Well this video was this moment for me.

Thank you Animation Fanatic for posting.

Well welcome... I'm pretty new here too... and... you are so incredibly welcome!

I know exactly what you are talking about with the John Lasseter book moment... the book is "The Art of Animation" by Bob Thomas. If you don't have this book, I highly recommend it. It's really pricy now, but worth it since, to my knowledge, it's the only animation book that Walt had direct influence in creating. It's wonderful.

I hope this video can be found for the same reason. I'm glad I'm not the only one to have made a career from this video. This was part 1/2 of my epiphany. Part 2/2 was in my 4th grade library reading a biography of Walt. That was the moment when I said, ok...! That's it! I'm going to be a Disney Animator!

I know exactly what you are talking about with the John Lasseter book moment... the book is "The Art of Animation" by Bob Thomas. If you don't have this book, I highly recommend it. It's really pricy now, but worth it since, to my knowledge, it's the only animation book that Walt had direct influence in creating. It's wonderful.

I hope this video can be found for the same reason. I'm glad I'm not the only one to have made a career from this video.

Hey! Yeah! That's the book! I'll have to look for it. And... no... I'm sure we're not the only ones to have made careers from this video. I'm even more certain that the studio at MGM alone inspired quite a few animators of today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter