HELP!!!! Stressed about Universal Rides!!!

Ashley1107

Earning My Ears
The last time I went to IOA was last year in April - I rode the forbidden journey - but not any roller coasters (didn't have time). I was pretty snug in the seat for FJ. Right now I'm 270-271, and back then I believe I was around 260, maybe 250-255. Is this such a big difference I won't be able to ride? Will I be able to fit on the roller coasters? (Really stoked about Hulk, Dragon Challenge, RipRide Rocket). I carry my weight pretty evenly throughout my whole body - my stomach doesn't puff out and my bust isn't too large. My thighs however are about 30-32 inches around.
I'm going next in a few weeks so not enough time to really make a difference. Do you think I'd be alright with the rides since my weight is evenly distributed? I don't even wanna go if I can't ride the coasters, thanks!

I'm a size 18 in pants and a 2X or 1X in shirts

Waist-44 inches
Hips-54 inches
Bust-47 inches.

Last edited:
On FJ did you use the side seats or the middle ones? The sides allow the restraints to be less tight. But still, 10 lbs shouldn't destroy your chances. Hulk has bigger seats too and gringotts as well.

You must be tall. I was 5'3" and 220 and was in a 22W and xl/2x shirts. (And I fit in everything I felt like riding)

I rode Rip Ride Rocket, Hulk, Gringotts, Forbidden Journey, even Flight of the Hippogriff and I was over a 22W, probably in between 22W and 24W. If your weight is evenly distributed (and not just in the chest/stomach area), you should be fine.

But I'll admit, it was a squeeze on several rides. I just hoisted my top half above most of the shoulder restraints and the ride attendants helped with buckling. I was still nervous I wouldn't fit on all of the rides, though. So I get it. I never have problems at Disney, but I was miserable at USO and IoA because I was stressed the whole time I wouldn't fit.

I suspect as long as you aren't chesty you'll be ok.
I tried to ride Forbidden Journey last week and it was a no go. Rode everything else, Gringotts, Rip Rocket, etc. But couldn't pass the test seat at FJ.
I'm size 20, 22 and fairly evenly distributed but very busty and the harness just wouldn't turn green when they tried it on the test seat. TM felt awful. I was ok as I didn't expect it to work anyway. He insisted on giving us all these special ride passes anyway.
Like PP, I was nervous most of the trip because I knew there could be any number of rides that I wouldn't fit on but in the end, it was only FJ.
Just don't let it get to you if you can't make it

Just got back from a trip last week. I appreciated that the seat testers are out in front of the rides. You can see how it feels and check in a much-less-stressful situation. Might be able to tell if how you sit affects it too.

Is it just me or has FJ gotten worse, in terms of getting into a seat?

Was there in the fall and couldnt get on FJ.and needed alot of help with Hulk.

Back in Florida now for another visit, and i am 10 pounds lighter then i was 4 months ago, had no problem with Hulk, got a click or two on Potter but still couldnt ride it. Didnt get much help.

Was there 3 yrs ago, about the same weight i am now and had no problem getting on FJ, with help from the CM.

Are they cracking down on.helping people to push the bar down?

Guy who told me to get off wasnt helpful at all but the lady who was going to direct me where to wait was great. Apologized profusely, super nice and gave us the express passes.

Bit of a bummer, but will just encourage me to lose.more weight for the next trip.

Was there last month. I wear a 18W with a fairly big chest (1x) and rounded middle and was fine on everything (I literally rode every single (non water) ride.) Some seats were more comfortable than others, but I was able to buckle in safely to everything.

Have fun and good luck!! :)

The usual advice hasn't yet been given.

Don't wear binding restrictive clothing, especially for FJ. FJ has more than one point of failure...your thighs can't be too sizable, your belly and chest need to be in a range, if you have a thick back like my husband, that pushes you out so there's less belly room, and if you're broad it just makes it that much harder. So it's not a simple ride to figure out if anyone will fit ahead of time.

Don't make it harder by wearing compressive clothes that might just push you up where the restraint could push you down etc. Wear soft clothes that lets the restraint squish you if needed. :)

I barely made it on big seat on FJ (I am somewhat busty but most of my weight is in my stomach), but I fit in regular seats on all the other rides. I'm generally a 2x-3x in shirts.

There are modified seating on most of the coasters as well.

Is it just me or has FJ gotten worse, in terms of getting into a seat?

Was there in the fall and couldnt get on FJ.and needed alot of help with Hulk.

Back in Florida now for another visit, and i am 10 pounds lighter then i was 4 months ago, had no problem with Hulk, got a click or two on Potter but still couldnt ride it. Didnt get much help.

Was there 3 yrs ago, about the same weight i am now and had no problem getting on FJ, with help from the CM.

Are they cracking down on.helping people to push the bar down?

Guy who told me to get off wasnt helpful at all but the lady who was going to direct me where to wait was great. Apologized profusely, super nice and gave us the express passes.

Bit of a bummer, but will just encourage me to lose.more weight for the next trip.

The biggest change with FJ is the no longer allow any assistance whatso ever. I thought for sure I could have gotten a travel companion lacked in a few seconds and have myself done all before check (I'm normal sized to smaller so takes me blink of an eye to be in a restraint) and they told me absolutely under no condition was I allowed to help.

They also have made it pretty embarrassing again. We went during a very very slow time and FJ had a 30 minute wait. They still were causing massive traffic jams at the entrance to the ride refusing to let people even enter the line if they thought it was questionable. I find it more embarrassing having a TM pull you form across the walkway and refuse to let you even enter the line than it is to just get the "walk of shame" at the ride vehicle. Had they done that at Gringotts my travel partner wouldn't have gotten to ride but when we got to the actually ride vehicle he had no problem ridding and the TM was so nice and even let us ride again because he saw how special that moment was.

They still were causing massive traffic jams at the entrance to the ride refusing to let people even enter the line if they thought it was questionable.

That's bizarre. I've never encountered them doing that, and we've been going since December of Hogsmeade's opening year. They allow anyone into the lines, so it's just weird.

^I want to confirm this which I had not seen before the last year or so. Almost at the end of the castle line, right before the sorting hat line there is someone watching the sizes of people (I guess?) and asking is they have "tried the test seats". This is right where the single riders and regular lines converge. I saw someone say yes and try to move on but they did pull them there and asked (told?) them to sit in the test seats to kind of 'prove it'. They are right there off to the left of the line within the castle before moving to that final line.

I've been asked a couple of times if I have tried the test seats.........but never, ever been stopped entering the queue in the first place.

The regular seat was tight for me last year on FJ, so I asked the TM if I could swap seats with someone on the end and they did it ever so discreetly, although I'm not the type to get embarrassed about that, I know some people naturally are.

So I'm surprised to read this.

wilkeliza describes at the entrance, and dsdeleon describes it before the seating area. Before seating makes sense, and DH is always peeling off from the group then anyway since he still has a long way before he rides, but outside is just NOT ok. If we encounter that we're heading straight to guest services.

But maybe we've been immune because dh tells then that he's not riding and he's generally carrying our bags lol. So it's obvious.

^I want to confirm this which I had not seen before the last year or so. Almost at the end of the castle line, right before the sorting hat line there is someone watching the sizes of people (I guess?) and asking is they have "tried the test seats". This is right where the single riders and regular lines converge. I saw someone say yes and try to move on but they did pull them there and asked (told?) them to sit in the test seats to kind of 'prove it'. They are right there off to the left of the line within the castle before moving to that final line.

wilkeliza describes at the entrance, and dsdeleon describes it before the seating area. Before seating makes sense, and DH is always peeling off from the group then anyway since he still has a long way before he rides, but outside is just NOT ok. If we encounter that we're heading straight to guest services.

But maybe we've been immune because dh tells then that he's not riding and he's generally carrying our bags lol. So it's obvious.

We have gone twice for Harry Potter. The first time the check was inside the line right before you entered the last set of switch backs and you could almost see the cars as dsdeleon described. This past September (so September 2016) there was a TM at the test seats on the outside of the ride. They were stopping everyone and it wasn't a simple have you tried the seats it was an pretty blunt come here you have to try them. When someone didn't "pass" they were told they could not enter the line and were free to take the castle tour or wait for their traveling party but not to enter the ride line. That was when I was asked if I could push on my travel partner to try and get it to go green because the issue is the ability to pull it down due to design not actually fit. Again aggressively told under no circumstance could I or a TM help. It was a very different experience then our first time where TMs tried to be as accommodating and even tempered and gentle as possible with the subject.

To not be allowed in the line is simply not OK. Holy moly.

Yeah I wasn't even sure why they weren't letting people in the line since Universal even lets kids in the lines. I wonder if it was an misunderstanding by that TM still left a blemish on the day to our travel party. The rest of the TMs were great and it was like night and day between the side. The Diagon alley groups were so nice and easy going the FJ group like I said not so much.

This past September (so September 2016) there was a TM at the test seats on the outside of the ride. They were stopping everyone and it wasn't a simple have you tried the seats it was an pretty blunt come here you have to try them. When someone didn't "pass" they were told they could not enter the line and were free to take the castle tour or wait for their traveling party but not to enter the ride line. That was when I was asked if I could push on my travel partner to try and get it to go green because the issue is the ability to pull it down due to design not actually fit. Again aggressively told under no circumstance could I or a TM help.

It's a shame this Happened.

It was last September that was the most recent time I was asked too if I had tried the test seat, I told the TM I had and had been on several times, there was no fuss he just smiled and said enjoy.

I know it changed dramatically a while back with TM not being able to help people push down on the harness. It was very obvious some folks weren't going to fit regardless how hard you pushed down, I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone passed out being squashed in too tight. Hence, the change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter