• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help! Stolen MacBook. CRAZY update!

I can't believe he continued his stay at this hotel...glad it is back, though!

I put our wallets/passport and macbook pro in the Disney safes no problem!

What size Macbook pro? I have a 13" and I have to take it with me on my next trip because of a project for one of my professors. I'm hoping it will fit. Oh and I'm staying at Pop if that makes a difference. I don't know if the values have smaller safes or something? Never stayed at anywhere else on property, so I have no idea if the safes get bigger as the hotel value increases. :confused3 I don't remember the safe at Pop being super big last time I was there.

Glad you got it back! It definitely sounds creepy, we definitely want to know if you find out any more details on how it disappeared and REappeared!

FWIW, I have never had a problem with my laptop at a Disney hotel. If it won't fit in the safe, you can always lock it in one of your suitcases if you want.

What size Macbook pro? I have a 13" and I have to take it with me on my next trip because of a project for one of my professors. I'm hoping it will fit. Oh and I'm staying at Pop if that makes a difference. I don't know if the values have smaller safes or something? Never stayed at anywhere else on property, so I have no idea if the safes get bigger as the hotel value increases. :confused3 I don't remember the safe at Pop being super big last time I was there.

We have a 15" and it just fits along with out flats stuff (credit cards, etc). Most recently we've left it out uploading photos while we leave the room and have never had any problems.

When we were at Disney last, we carried a bike lock along. We locked the laptops in the suitcase (both wouldn't fit in the safe and we each have to have ours for work) and then locked the suitcase to the bed frame (not the bed leg, the bed frame) and shoved it all under the bed. If someone was determined, they could have cut open the suitcase, but we prevented the casual pass by thief from taking our stuff. Most thieves are thieves of opportunity and you just have to deny them the opportunity.

I don't know if this'll work for apple laptops (definitely not for PCs), but I know that there's an app for iTouches/iPhones that basically triggers the GPS on it, so that you can find out where it is. You have to activate it BEFORE it gets lost/stolen, which I found out after I lost my iTouch.

If I remember the name, I'll repost.

Yes, please repost. I'd love to get this for my son's iTouch (and mine they're constantly taking it and misplacing it. This last time I found it wedged underneath the carpet underneath the seat of my car.:headache: )

I'm sitting here, in my hotel room, thinking of all the times that I have left my laptop and other valuables just sitting in my room while I went out for the day.

The only thing I've ever had stolen from my hotel room was a $25 Nalgene Bottle, and I'm not sure if it was stolen - or if the maid just didn't know what it was and threw it out thinking that it was just an empty bottle.

It's easy to forget that you aren't the only one with a key to your hotel room, and that not everyone is honest or trustworthy.

I really hope they can recover your laptop!

We have a 15" and it just fits along with out flats stuff (credit cards, etc). Most recently we've left it out uploading photos while we leave the room and have never had any problems.

Good to know! Thanks! Hopefully it will fit... Otherwise I'll do the bike lock thing. I've been in so many hotels over the last couple of years that I can't remember what has what, but can you actually put suitcases under the value beds? I want to say they have the solid frames? I can't remember though. That may be a different hotel...

SO glad you got it back!! Yea, I'd be raising a STINK with the hotel - at the VERY least getting the stay that they are there now for free!!!

I also recommend riders for your high value items with your homeowners policy.

We did this when my son purchased an engagement ring. Our agent indicated the rider (cheap!) would then cover it with no deductible & also covered the ring if it just disappeared. She said they get tons of calls each year where a woman will wash her hands & take the ring off - then walk off without putting ring back on. If you don't have the rider, you can't prove any theft & there is no coverage. However, the rider will pay for even the 'unknown' & you will be covered.

He added this to his golf clubs after they were stolen from the apartment garage & he was hit with a $250 deductible. The new rider allows for full replacement & again only a few bucks a year.

My laptop is under $500 so I don't bother with it, but we both have it on our Sony Rebel cameras & lenses. Those are pretty pricey - about a grand for replacement so we both felt it was worth it.

I would also be requesting an full accounting of the room entry from the hotel also.

My MacBook generally won't fit into the safe at Disney resorts. So I purchased this little baby. I actually use it all the time when I have my laptop out. When my laptop is in my briefcase and I have to leave it (even in a car), I arm it. It is made by Targus and called DEFCON. I paid $40 for it. I've also used this on a stroller in the parks before. I just checked eBay and found several for under $20 including shipping.
10000793.jpg

I don't know if this'll work for apple laptops (definitely not for PCs), but I know that there's an app for iTouches/iPhones that basically triggers the GPS on it, so that you can find out where it is. You have to activate it BEFORE it gets lost/stolen, which I found out after I lost my iTouch.

If I remember the name, I'll repost.
It's called Find My Iphone. The app is free but you have to use it on another iphone to find your phone.

They also have a similar app for the ipad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter