HELP! Starbucks overcharged me yesterday and now I am negative in my account!!!

DVC is a pre-paid vacation. Yes, you get a discount, but it's still just a pre-paid vacation, and a bit of a liability with the maintenance fees. It also tends to trigger additional expenses of the "in for a penny, in for a pound" type, i.e. since we paid out $600 for the DVC, how about we spend additional $1,500 to use it. The OP has other debts. High interest debts. This is why it would be prudent to rent out DVC points instead of using them. Not everyone can afford to vacation at WDW every year.

P.S. I happen to disagree with the definition of "manageable debt" used by most Americans. The problem with getting things one can't afford now is that consumption will have to be scaled back in the future to pay off the debts, and that's definitely not pleasant.

We don't have consumption debt. We make 3 times a year what we are in debt for so it really doesn't apply to me.

If you couldn't afford a vacation to wdw every year or every other year then it wouldn't be logical to buy a dvc.

When you have a close death in your life your eyes open to the fact that life and experiencing it is priceless.

If you couldn't afford a vacation to wdw every year or every other year then it wouldn't be logical to buy a dvc.

Exactly :-) But since the OP already bought DVC, it would make more sense to have it generate some income as opposed to sucking the wind.

Exactly :-) But since the OP already bought DVC, it would make more sense to have it generate some income as opposed to sucking the wind.

No where did she say she couldn't afford Starbucks or her DVC.

What happen was she had a small slush fund acct and Starbucks over charged her so she was worried that the amount she really did spend wasn't what would come out of her bank causing an overdraft, because of a mistake Starbucks made.

The only really mistake IMO is using a debit card, small balance account as a slush fund instead of cash.

But then again its just my opinion.

Things like this happen.

The thing to learn here is to not let your account get so low that less than $8 will cause you to overdraft. Another less is not to buy luxuries when your account is so low.

I'm surprised the transaction wasn't declined.
There is also that option - to set up your account so that if you swipe your card and there are not enough funds available to cover the transaction, your bank/card issuer will decline the transaction. The other option is to have another account linked for this purpose. Yeah, your bank might charge you for the act of moving funds to the other account (it used to be $10 at my bank:rolleyes1) but you wouldn't have multiple overdraft fees for other transactions.

This is one thing I do at my job - investigate any irregularities in the debit/credit/ebt transactions for my company. I see LOTS of declined transactions due to insufficient funds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter