Help needed. Who to call about broken watch purchased in MK?

Mom+4

<font color=teal>Saved from the loony bin by the T
I'm not sure if this is the right forum. If not, sorry.

Last summer, when visiting WDW with my family, my DH bought me a really nice watch in the MK (the store next to the Emporium on Main Street, I think). It has been a great watch until I tried to change to daylight savings time a week ago. When I gently pulled out the stem to change the hour, the whole stem came out in my hand. I was able to put it back in, and it stayed, but I can no longer change the time. I am permanently set on Central Standard time, which is very confusing, especially when travelling. Does anyone know a telephone number I can call to see if I can get the watch repaired or replaced? It is not even a year old, and should be under warranty, I believe. Thanks for any help.

Here's a number for WDW Merchandising,maybe they can help you out!

407-363-6200

You should follow the instructions on the warrenty information sheet that comes in the watch packaging.

I'm just going to wish you the very best of luck and suggest you take it to a jeweler. I have a rather pricey limited edition watch purchased right smack on Disney property, and when I needed something as simple as a new battery (Disney used a particular backing on the watch that needs a special tool to open it) the store where I purchased it (in Downtown Disney) refused to touch it. They said they will not do any work on watches, regardless of where you bought it. Removing the back hardly seemed like 'work' to me, but there you have it.

I took it every place I could think of, then finally found a good jeweler who was willing to pop the back off. Cost me $10.00 just to remove the back, a fact I will bear in mind next time I buy something from Disney that needs maintaining.

My husband bought a watch at Mousegears a while back. When it was time to change the time for Daylight Savings, he had nearly the same problem. We had saved the receipt for the watch and brought it back on our next trip. We went to Mousegears, explained what happened and were given a brand new watch.

So if you have another trip coming up, wait until you go back and do it in person.

Reading Cleo's post doesn't bode well for me. My Disney watch wasn't particularly pricey, but I like it and have found it rather useless since the battery died. So far four jewelers have tried to remove the back.

Hello:

Sorry can't help the OP other than what has been already mentioned but Disney generally is very good about exchanging watches with problems. They do not repair any so if your model is still available a swap can happen.
I own 200+ Disney watches mostly Attraction, Events, and Movies ...only 1 Mickey and from experience the movements are low quality souvenir type which makes repair more expensive then replacement.

tar heel: I have a few watches that even with all tools I have collected I would not try to open. Nearly every city/town has a Jewelry/watch shop that most of the other Jewelers send hard to open and high end watches for repair. Try the yellow pages under watch repair and make a few calls to find a certified watchmaker and that is where you go. I found one years ago and have become a regular customer.

I purchased a Mickey watch (Disney Time Works quartz) which, at the time (1994) was about $80. It's run like a trooper since then--my greatest complaint has been replacing the watchband--year after year after year. . . :D I'll bet I go through at least one or two every year.

Are the watches with the problems the same "Disney Time Works"? I really wanted to purchase a new Mouse watch, but if there's a big issue, I won't. You can buy the "Timex" version at Wal-Mart and they will change the batteries. BTW, I've replaced the battery at least twice and, again, Wal-Mart handled it. I've also had the face replaced by a jeweler after I dropped the watch and cracked it. Perhaps the jewelry store in MK would handle the battery swap?

I've been told by some of the mass retailers (Target comes to mind) that they will no longer replace any watch batteryor bands because they do not want liability for damaging the sides of the watch when they pop it open. Seems very odd to me they would sell batteries or bands but not change them. Wal-Mart has always been great and is much cheaper than our jeweler. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter