Help needed to select resort

One thing that stands out in my mind about AKL that I didn't count on was the barnyard smell! We were there in January, cooler temps but still 70s. When we would step out onto the balcony that smell would hit us! Not expected at all, and with three teenaged girls you can imagine all of the whining we heard!

Interesting. I don't like AKL for other reasons, after staying at Jambo and Kidani, but we have definitely not noticed a smell!

I wonder if they had just done landscaping and had laid down manure for that.

With your boy's ages, I'd either go with AKL or BC.
AKL because seeing the animals is so cool.
BC because ESPN Club is across the lake and a short walk. Also, Epcot is 5 minutes away walk and there are tons of places for your family to have a nice meal in the evening or if the boys want to go off on their own in the evenings, both the Boardwalk and Epcot have lots of things to see and do while AKL is isolated.
GF,imo, won't appeal as much to boys.

I would definitely pick BCR. With the boys ages I think the beachy feel will appeal to them and SAB us amazing. But walking to Epcot in under 5 minutes is the best.

I used to think the GF was my dream resort but it seems a little stuffy to me. I don't have the same desire to stay there that I used to. Maybe someday. I think AKL would be great too but I would go with BCR.

One thing that stands out in my mind about AKL that I didn't count on was the barnyard smell! We were there in January, cooler temps but still 70s. When we would step out onto the balcony that smell would hit us! Not expected at all, and with three teenaged girls you can imagine all of the whining we heard!

We stayed in August and didn't smell anything :confused3

OP- I'd go with either GF or BC/YC.

We haven't stayed at GF yet, but booked a split stay this summer with GF & YC.

You can't go wrong with either. Being on monorail with GF would be nice, and I enjoy the boat to MK or Poly. Also watching Wishes and Electric Water Parade from the resort. We stayed at Poly, and loved it.

We also loved BC :thumbsup2. Great resort, and SAB is the best pool on property. Walking to Epcot, and all the dining options in the area is great. Boat to DHS is another nice option. Many rooms have a day bed.

Both resorts have larger rooms then AKL. We did enjoy AKL, and it is a great resort too, but giving that GF & BC are cheaper, and both wonderful resorts, I'd move.

Given that your boys are older, 100% BC. The location, with all of the Epcot, Boardwalk, resort activities + SAB, seems like a no brainer.

This coming from a big time fan of AKL. GF always seems like an old lady's parlor to me.

Also consider whether they want to sleep in the same bed...you could get bunk beds at AKL, but that is even more $$$. No guarentee on daybed at BC/YC, but if you put it first in your requests, the boys might be happier. I think Poly and Contemp both guarentee daybed.

We stayed at BC when we had three boys with us, ages 12, 16 and 18. The guys loved the location near Epcot and went to Illuminations quite a few times. SAB was great for them, too.

I'd go for BC. So much to do around there with BW right across the lake and EPCT and DHS within walking distance.

You have 11 and 18 year old boys.

Take a look at StormAlongBay at the Beach Club. My kids would live there if they could.

I vote for the Beach Club. You can WALK to Epcot or to DHS, the Boardwalk is right there, as is the marina, and the resort is fabulous.

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the terrific feedback. We decided to make the switch.

Really appreciate how willing everyone is to provide helpful information. We thought we should consider switching away from AKL given the other options and after going through the responses, it was a much easier decision.

Thanks again!

If a great pool with a good slide is an important factor for your choosing, i would go with the BC. You are also is wlaking distance to EPCOT and HS.

I would choose Grand Floridian. Based on your child's ages and preferences. I have also stayed at Grand Floridian and it would be close to the monorail and great food options as well.

So - which resort did you choose?

We ended up switching to Yacht Club. The majority of feedback was in favor of BC and since DW prefers balconies and a few suggested giving YC a try, we pulled the trigger and made the switch.

From the feedback, it looked like BC/YC was the most recommended choice followed by GF. There were very few recommendations to stay with AKL given the price was above the BC/YC and GF options.

Thanks again!

We ended up switching to Yacht Club. The majority of feedback was in favor of BC and since DW prefers balconies and a few suggested giving YC a try, we pulled the trigger and made the switch.

From the feedback, it looked like BC/YC was the most recommended choice followed by GF. There were very few recommendations to stay with AKL given the price was above the BC/YC and GF options.

Thanks again!

That is a great choice! We usually book YC over the BC because we really want a balcony and don't want to leave it up to chance. Hope you like it there! :goodvibes

Thanks again!

Love the YC, it's considerably more sedate than BC!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter