Help me understand SW check-in policy, please!

sandymandr

DIS Veteran
If I get my ticket and check-in online, I will get a boarding assignment? If I just show up at airport to check-in, I will still get boarding assignement, just not as good as what I would have gotten? Is there ever a case where I will not get a seat? I'm flying Jackson, MS to MCO direct flight on a probably smal plane and don't care where I sit because it is a short flight and I am travelling alone. I'm worried because the trip back, I will not have online access to check-in. So, will I get a seat regardless of when I check-in?

Unless the flight's oversold and you wait until the very last minute to check in, there is probably no chance that you won't get a seat, but there is a chance you won't get a desirable seat. If you're traveling alone and don't care who you sit with, then you have some leeway, but I would not wait until arrival to check in. If you have like to avoid middle seats, for example, then it's to your advantage to check in as soon as possible, or pay SWA $10 for the Early Bird checkin so they'll do it for you.

SWA has only one type of plane, so the one you get on a short flight will not be any smaller than what you'd get on a longer flight.

Just to reinforce, if you wait until you get to the airport and you're somewhat late you may not get a boarding pass. I would recommend paying the $10 for the Earlybird Checkin.

You can check-in on-line up to 24 hours in advance (you can actually pay extra a few days before that and get a guaranteed check-in for an A ticket). Doing so that far in advance means you will likely get an "A" ticket (tickets are "A" "B" or "C") and thus be among the first 60 to get on. If you wait until you arrive you can end up with a C ticket and only a middle seat. There is some risk of overbooking and thus getting kicked if you are near the last of those to get a C ticket but that does not happen often and unlikely to happen for a flight to Jackson MS.

When you say you will not have on-line access for return trip, that is likely untrue. Just go to the lobby of the hotel you are staying 24 hours in advance and ask them to do the sign in or, at most hotels, just go to a computer they often have set up in the lobby just for the purpose of doing on-line check-ins.

you can actually pay extra a few days before that and get a guaranteed check-in for an A ticket)

The only A boarding pass guaranteed is if you pay for business select. Paying for early check in does not guarantee an A boarding pass.

Thanks!! Especially for the tip about checking in from the hotel, I guess I have never before had a need to use online services, so I just didn't know!! Also, I thought the early bird had to be done online prior to departure, someone said if I pay for the early bird, SW will do it for me?? So, can I just pay that fee and be automatically checked in for both of my flights, or will I still have to access online for the return trip? Thank you all very much! I really appreciate the help!

from southwest.com

We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-in doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat.

The early bird check in is $10 for each direction of travel. So if you dont want to use it TO WDW, you can still get it for your return trip home. You can buy it up to 25 hours before your departure, but it's best just to put it on as early as possible if you know you want to use it.

from southwest.com

The early bird check in is $10 for each direction of travel. So if you dont want to use it TO WDW, you can still get it for your return trip home. You can buy it up to 25 hours before your departure, but it's best just to put it on as early as possible if you know you want to use it.

THANKS for the info!!! I think I get it now!! And I will be getting the early bird now!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter