Help me, please...I still don't get it...

CathieArms

DIS Veteran
"Family style." What, exactly, does that mean?

I was on the phone with an ADR CM yesterday and she was trying to explain family style. For instance, she said that dinner at Whispering Canyon was X-dollars for whatever we ordered and it was served "family style." She went on to say that the portions were huge and we could share them.

Okay...so does that mean that we each order whatever we want from the menu at x-dollars and then it's served in the middle of the table and we each take a serving? Or, does it mean that it's served in front of us and we can then pass it around for others to share?

I'm so confuzzled.

Family style is kind of like Thanksgiving dinner. All the food is served on platters that are placed on the table. Everyone then can just pass around what they want. Most family style meals are all you can eat, I've never been to Wispering Canyon so I can't help with the specifics.

I've eaten at Whispering Canyon Cafe a few times, and yes, it is all you can eat, if you order the "family style" meal, which has things like chicken, pulled pork, mashed potatoes, etc. They have other items on the menu that are NOT all you can eat, and are not served family-style...it's simply one option the restaurant offers.
If you do order it, just as the other poster stated, they place all the food in the middle of the table and everyone helps themselves...The server will replenish items as needed.

A bit off topic, but this restaurant is really fun for kids- the staff does all sorts of crazy things when you ask for ketchup, or a "large" drink. ;)...it gets especially crazy later in the evening....

Sarah

Hmmm...okay. They keep making it sound like the ONLY option is "family style" and that you can't order individually.

So, does the menu list certain things as "family" style, and other things like "single serving"? So, let's say that I'm going with my dh, my dd, my ds and my inlaws. My inlaws want to order something family style, but my dh and kids want to order a selection off the menu...we can do that, right?

We ate at WC - and enjoyed it, its not as crazy and fun as it once was, but if you've never been - its a great fun place! oh and the food is good too!!

http://allears.net/menu/menu_wc.htm All Ears has the menu -

You could order the "skillet" which is all you can eat - and it is served in a cast iron skillet (like the olden days when the cowboys would eat over a fire in a cast iron skillet... :rotfl:)

and your dh or kids could order the Steak - which is not all you can eat - but certainly you could share a bite of your pulled pork from the skillet and he could share a bite of the steak...

They are famous for their skillet dinner, and most do order that - so maybe that is why the CM was thinking family style?

I know at Liberty Tree Tavern in the Magic kingdom, that is all you can eat family style - that everyone is charged the same - and they bring out the food, and you eat what they bring -

but at WC you have a regular menu and you can opt to NOT get the family stlye (I dont think its family style, but far be it from me to use my memory!) and you'd be good to go...

Hope I havent confused the issue even more!

If im not mistaken i think the skillet dinners are the family style all you can eat. The rest you can order individually?

The family style meal is the Skillet. Everyone at the table doesn't need to get it. For example, last time we went with three adults and two kids. Two adults and one kid wanted the Skillet. One adult and one child ordered something else. It was no problem. They got their dinners served infront of them like you normally would in a restaurant, and the skillet full of food was put in the center of the table for the three who had ordered it.

Yes, I believe you are correct- The "skillet" on the menu is the only family-style option, but everyone at the table does NOT have to order it...I think the CM was considering this a "family style" restaurant only because of the popularity of the skillet, but you certainly don't HAVE to go that route!

Sarah

Here's a picture from breakfast at Ohana to show you how the family style is served. We already took somethings off the skillet but it will at least show you what it looks like. Each person takes what they want and puts its on their plate. It's only shared with your family or group. Each table gets their own.

OhanaBreakfastPlatter07.jpg

Thanks, y'all...I *think* I get it now. If not, well then I guess I'll figure it out when I get there and experience it. :)

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that if part of your party orders the skillet and part orders individual meals, those who order individual meals cannot eat from the skillet. If they would be found eating from the skillet the restaurant could charge them for both the individual meal and the skillet price in addition, because technically, they would be eating 2 meals.
If they didn't enforce this, someone could order only an appetizer with no meal purchase while the other person ordered the skillet and then the one who ordered the appetizer might eat from the skillet "free". This would not go over well with the restaurant, I'm sure. Does that make sense?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that if part of your party orders the skillet and part orders individual meals, those who order individual meals cannot eat from the skillet. If they would be found eating from the skillet the restaurant could charge them for both the individual meal and the skillet price in addition, because technically, they would be eating 2 meals.
If they didn't enforce this, someone could order only an appetizer with no meal purchase while the other person ordered the skillet and then the one who ordered the appetizer might eat from the skillet "free". This would not go over well with the restaurant, I'm sure. Does that make sense?

I guess if you had your skillet replenished a number of times because the 'free' person was eating it, then it could be an issue, but generally they bring out a set amount for 1 person, or for 2 people etc, and if you were to share a little of that original amount then I can't see it being an issue.

To be honest, at the family style 'all you can eat' places, it tends to be hard to get them to refill the platters anyway, so you are paying for a standard amount of food.

Even though they consider both WCC and LTT to be "family style" you can ABSOLUTELY order individual entrees.

DP was a vegetarian (he now eats chicken too :banana:) but we did dinner (two of us) at both locations-

I did the Thanksgiving dinner at LTT and the brought me smaller plates of everything the same as if we both were eating it, and he was able to order the vegetarian option.

WCC brought me a skillet just for me- and refilled ANYTHING on it I wanted- while he had a pasta meal...

Order what ever you wish.... the CM are great about working it out....

The only family-style option at Whispering Canyon is the all you can eat skillet. If everyone in your party orders the skillet, the entire party can eat from the skillet they bring you. If two people in a party order the skillet and two order from the a la carte menu, the skillet will be provided for the two who ordered it. The two who did not order the skillet will be served their own a la carte meals and may not share the skillet. If they are observed eating from the skillet they could possibly be charged the skillet price.

Meals like 'Ohana and Liberty Tree dinner are fixed menus served family style - everyone at the table shares everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter