help me cure my FOMO about port arrival

No contest. Go “late.” Sets the tone for the entire cruise, get on the ship relaxed and cool as a cucumber. That guy. The last time we got there early (10:30), they didn’t start boarding until after 12!!! Nightmare. People were so pushy and nasty. No Disney magic. People monopolizing the coin press machines with bags of money! People lying on the floor in every available space. Complaining, whining, kids crying, parents snapping. So lame. We didn’t get on until 12:30 and it was so ugh and frenetic once we got on, we vowed never again. Put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. We only do 1:30 pm or later arrivals now— on any cruise line, and all I can say is awesome. Still time to catch lunch and plenty of time to people watch/ look down on all the people who are all crazy miserable and snapping at each other because they got their extra 2 hours on board. :sail:
This is a good point too. Last cruise our ship boarded late because it required a deep cleaning. We got there from the resort and boarding was just starting around noon. There were a lot of cranky people in the lobby that had to sit around for an hour longer than they expected. I'm glad I wasn't one of them. We had to wait a little bit to board, but not long and there was practically no line at check in.

I have always taken DCL transportation. I would rather hang out at the resort or be comfortable on the bus and getting to the terminal when there are virtually no lines, no crying children or pushy adults. We have always found a window seat in Cabanas where we have a light meal to tide us over to dinner. To be able to get into our cabin shortly after boarding is a major plus too.

The last two cruises DH and I had one night at WDW the day before (no parks) and then took a car service to the port so we would get there right at open. This cost twice as much as taking the DCL shuttle but I justified it because they were shorter (3 and 4 night) cruises. Now in May we have a 7 night on the Fantasy. I found out there was a Villains after hours the previous night, so I got tickets and booked a DVC studio at Bay Lake so we could walk back whenever. DH is thinking this time we should just take the shuttle and relax instead of rushing onboard to get up to Cabanas. But part of me just wants to get on the ship. I do see the beauty of getting there when the rooms are open, but I'm not sure about getting there at 2 or later.
I may wait until my check in to make sure I get my palo brunch, etc., and don't have to make any onboard changes to make my final decision, but can if you have good stories about taking the shuttle and getting to the port in a timely manner, share them!

The only time we arrived there after 2:00 PM was because the shuttle broke down and we had to change bus half-way. Before that, we always arrived between 12:45 PM and 1:30 PM.

on 7 night cruises we always get to the port after they have started open boarding. One time we went to Kennedy Space Center. We toured the gothic quarter of Barcelona. On our most recent Disney Cruise on the Fantasy we slept in as we are on Pacific Time.

Yes, if you need Palo Brunch, get there early. Otherwise, you have a week on the ship, make your embarkation day relaxing.

Now on the 2-3 night cruises. I'm at the port by 11 AM, I want that extra 30 minutes on the ship. lol

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter