Help me convince my boyfriend Disney is NOT "just for kids".. with PICTURES!

Get a Park Hopper pass and have fun. It's so for adults too.

Magic Kingdom is for adults but does tend to get more attention from the little kids than the adults. I recommend park hopper because if you're an animal fan you should check out Animal Kingdom or if you're a big time movie fan try out Disney's Hollywood Studios. Lots of stuff there for us big kids.

Epcot finishes off the evening well. If you've done the other three parks before you'll probably hit your favorites and have time to see a little bit of the world. Take one of the ferries and enjoy some of the best restaurants in Epcot like the one in Italy or France. Add in Illuminations at night and it's a romantic evening for two.

I know he'd LOVE Epcot... both guys I've taken in the past (and this was 5+ years ago and 10+ years ago) loved Epcot most (again, big kid that i am.. MK is my fav BY FAR and I'd be content going there and nowhere else the entire trip haha!).. there's a lot he'd love.

Here's the issue. Mind you, these are NOT my views... my bf is a union guy. He refuses to go into Walmart and prefer I never tell him when I do. He is a Republican (I am not) and for the most part hates corporate america and feels they "stick it to the man"....

SO..... that being said.... (and trust me he's a great guy... Tom you know I wouldn't date a "bad guy"... he just has his beliefs)... he sees Disney at this point as a corporation who does everything to exploit money from people. I know we've all heard SOMEONE go off on that tangent at one point, being the disney fanatics that we are.

He is also a Nascar fan (no he's not the redneck I'm making him sound to be LOL!).... I was thinking.. if it weren't so darn $$ we could do the riding experience.... but that wasn't my point. My point is I agreed to go to one of his races and do it like he does.. camp out (ew).. port-o-potty it (*gag*)... because I "just know he'll do disney like I do"... LOL! In other words try my thing I'll try yours. But I don't want him to just go to appease me.. I want him to love it! I just have to get past the whole "no.. disney is not for kids. And no... they aren't money grubbers who nickle and dime everything".....

So.. that is my struggle;)... just a bit more insight as to what I'm dealing with.

Man sized cupcake...

Beer Flight (don't mind the terrible picture of me)...

Boston Whaler around Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon...

But I don't want him to just go to appease me.. I want him to love it! I just have to get past the whole "no.. disney is not for kids. And no... they aren't money grubbers who nickle and dime everything".....

My DH (who was DBF at the time) went, the first time, to appease me. He now loves it about 75% as much as I do - which is pretty great, really. I felt guilty that he was taking his vacation to make me happy and not doing what he wanted to do - so I decided that I'd pay for nearly everything and really just show him a great time. And guess what...he had a fantastic time! We did a package with the dining plan, barely paid anything out of pocket, and spent a carefree week in Disney.

We have since gone on other trips (as well as Disney) and we still both agree that Disney is the best value for our vacation dollars, time and time again.

I guess the point of this post is, I was kind of in your same boat a few years ago - and it wasn't until I was able to get him there did he learn to love it. :goodvibes

Ahh!.. I’m beginning to see it more clearly now.

Well, Disney is a business and it does take in a lot of money. There’s no getting around that. However, like NASCAR, it’s a form of entertainment. As you well know though, the experience is one that you can tailor to suit whatever you like best and whatever your budget happens to be. There are lots of ways to save money and avoid the additional costs of that experience so that you get a lot of value for your vacation dollars. NASCAR is in the retail business too (although you may not win that argument). The point is that if he can go and enjoy the NASCAR experience without having to buy all the NASCAR “stuff”, then he should be able to go to WDW and enjoy the show / relaxation / education / playtime / romance without having to buy it at Downtown Disney or in the after-attraction gift shops. WDW will make plenty of $ with or without his patronage. I think if you stay at a moderate or value resort and get magic your way passes for the duration (without the park hopper option if you want to save money), then there’s plenty of value in that package to give him the satisfaction of knowing he may possibly be getting more than he’s actually paying for - especially when you consider the transportation, lodging, amenities, rides, attractions, entertainment…

It also might help to give him some biographical information about Walt himself (a Republican btw) which might lend some insight into the roots of WDW. It’s changed (evolved) much since the early 70’s, but retains a lot of what Walt and Roy set out to create.

I don’t think he can appreciate WDW the way you do Cindy, but that’s ok. There’s plenty for him to enjoy. :)

There is a NASCAR cafe at universal city walk you could take him to for dinner. After you guys could enjoy the other bars/lounges city walk has to offer.

There is a NASCAR cafe at universal city walk you could take him to for dinner. After you guys could enjoy the other bars/lounges city walk has to offer.

Thanks everyone...

Kyle thanks! I didn't know about that as I've never been to Universal. Next time I go down I plan to, however.. I really want to see the new Harry Potter world:)

Lowd%2011-2009%20091.jpg
[/IMG]
Lowd%2011-2009%20026.jpg
Lowd%2011-2009%20010.jpg
Lowd%2011-2009%20029.jpg

If you do decide to go during Food & Wine Festival, they have several bands that play in the Eat To The Beat series. Last year we saw Boyz II Men. It was like being 13 all over again.

b2m.jpg

...he sees Disney at this point as a corporation who does everything to exploit money from people.

My wife was the real Disney fanatic, and our first trip (which was before the kids) was for her. Did I love it? Yes, but not just for the "Disney fuzzy factor".

At the end of the trip, I did a cost analysis of the Disney trip vs. renting a house at the Jersey shore (our previous summer vacas). Now, keeping in mind that we live only 2 hours from the Shore; our Disney trip actually cost us less.

When it comes down to it, whatever form of recreation you choose, it will cost you money. A well-planned Disney trip is a great value, even if you stay at the resort most of the time. But, c'mon...where else can you decide to have a great German meal AND a frosted Norwegian pretzel for dessert and finally finish it off in a great bar (Irish, English, The Ditch, Tambu Lounge...wherever!) without having to worry about who's driving? And all for cheaper than it would cost me, than having less and having to do more (cooking and cleaning) in a rented house.

and oh yeah...free fireworks...

For us, it's a no-brainer.

Allison I want to come on one of YOUR Trips!!! FUN!!!

Steph.... oooh I love them!

Mainstreet I totally agree with you. I just need him to see others say it;)

Thank you ALL for your great arguments and photos!!! LOVE them!

My first point? If Disney was just for kids, thousands of people wouldn't get married there every year!

Plus there are some gorgeous places on property. I especially love the Boardwalk for adult-time. Very nice and quiet. You've got also got a lot of high-end restaurants like Victoria and Alberts, Artist Pointe, and many others.

I am one of the converted. It took my DH 12 years to convince me to go to Disneyland and then 3 more to go to Disneyworld. WDW is SOOO much better for couples without kids. I think the biggest thing for us was the resort. We stayed at PO-Riverside and it was amazing. The rooms were gorgeous, with romantic grounds and quiet place.

Our favourite thing to do is leave the parks by 11, eat an early lunch, head back to the hotel for a dip in one of the smaller pools, which will be deserted at that time of day, and then have some quiet time.

Also, if he's a car guy, what about Lights, Motors, Action and Test Track. I think he might really like those.

I'm a single guy and have been going to Disneyland for many years since High School, always by myself. Went to DW last year for the first time and had a blast as an adult. There are a lot of things to do like Drink Around the World in Epcot.

826316182_E6Q4x-M.jpg

My husband is a true man's man and only went to WDW (on our honeymoon no less) to appease me. I was very careful to make sure our first trip together catered to his interests, knowing that if he didn't enjoy himself that we would probably not be back for a long time. Long story short, he is now a true fan. He just won't admit it to anyone but me :rotfl:. But whatever, as long as I get to keep going, I don't care if he keeps his secret to himself. I'll find some pictures of some of the things that we have enjoyed the past few trips. Starting with this...
kritnik

Okay... let me try to figure this out. I've never posted a picture before. Hold on....

We have been to The World several times over the past few years, most recently in December. Always with the kids.

My wife turned 50 a couple of days ago and I had been telling her all along that she could have a trip to wherever she wanted. I offered Hawaii, Vegas, a cruise, etc...

Without hesitstion, she chose to go back to Disney World. We leave in 3 weeks. There are so many cool things for adults that we had seen and heard of, that she wanted to go back and experience them without the kids along, in favor of any of those other trips.

Not a picture, but it definitely speaks volumes about the allure of Disney for adults! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter