~help I am broke! ~ ! BIG $$ mess here

Don't forget the that Special DESERT!

"ENJOY!!!"

Remember: after dinner blowout the candles together and store them away for NEXT MONTH!

"THE MAGIC HAPPENS!!!"
:jester: :jester: :jester:

Hi all !!! I finally have a day off !!! Well from work anyway.

Time to update you on what I have done since I started this post.

Keep in mind, this is a "work in progress" !

so far:

- - shopped for car ins rates. found a group plan with my work. changed all vehicles to this ins co ... (also found I have rental on 2 cars at 78.00 a year, duh ! we have 4 cars, no need for that!)
SAVINGS= 481.00 a year !!!! PLUS they take if from my pay check now, so now more fees and no more bills! (was on 10 month plan, no more 1st big bill each year)

- - dropped both our 401K's (temporarily) to the 6% that is matched from 10%. Take that 100.00 a week and earmarked it to paying of interest debt)

- - dropped an online subscription (gonna miss it) SAVING 9.95

- - changed to floresent bulbs (we'll see) unplugged a second fridge we hardly use in the winter, turning lights off way more

- - pay attention to use cell phone for all LD calls (savings= 5.00/month)

- - we both DO NOT bye coffee out anymore SAVINGS=22.50/week

- - not overdoing ! DD's bday, I gave her a present I had since last xmas, when I had overbought I tucked it away. I DIDNT BUY ANYTHING ELSE !!!!!

- - starting ING accounts for us all made 100.00 for us 4 and 30.00 in referrals !.... putting in a small amount each week.

- - started up SELLING on EBAY instead of buying like I used to. Sold 105.00 in 10 days!

- - changed car loan to credit union, rate was 7.49 now is 5.99

- - gave us both a weekly allowance. No more debiting/atm'in, this means I know what is left is for bills. This alone is HUGE ! Using cash really makes you think about what your buying! This will probably be one of the biggest saving we will have!

well, so far, this is where we are at. I am happy with our progress so far. I am still working on this ongoing plan . . .

Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas !! :)

PG

Wow... you have made some great strides in a short time! I'll bet you feel a whole lot better! Good for you! Keep it up, you are inspiring me!..................P

Here's my suggestion--cut out gifts. Period. I don't know what your gift budget is or if you even spend much if any in this category. However, I added up that last year we spent over $1500 in gifts. For all those gifts, we got one thank you, and that was when I made the phone call. That money can be better spent on myself or my kids, or put into savings. BTW, I didn't get any gifts last year! Also, many of the relatives I sent gifts to seemed to think I was "trying to get on their good side", to hit them up for something later. Funny thing is, I've never hit them up once for a hand or handout. If I was so "needy", where am I getting the money for all the gifts? Strange logic......

This reminds of our first year together as newlyweds. Our an niversary is on Tuesday 9/28 13th!! We both had good, stable jobs and a home that I had purchased before marriage. My DH was fresh out of college and had a couple of thousand dollars of CC debt, student loans, etc...

A dear Motherly-type friend gave me a Pressure Cooker that she had bought somewhere for $15. It was heavy-duty and sturdy. She taught me how to use it. Man, that thing saved me the bucks! I made a weekly menu & always shopped with a grocery list. I would make whole roasts that I would make into sandwiches for lunch etc... chicken, beef veggies *good stuff. Our food budget for the month was less than $100 for two of us.
I would shop at a Farmers Market everyweek for fresh fruit and vegetables, cooked whole grain foods, etc... I limited our cash to $25 per week each. We had a cash drawer where we would keep a certain amount of money in for the whole month**easier to do this than to use a debit card or withdraw from the atm.
I used one type of cleaner for everything. Saved $$ there. Kept thermostat low during winter and higher in the Summer. Cut off cable TV. Didn't miss it. Zeroed in on paying off the loans. Attacked highest interest rate 1st, payed off the rest within the year. Refined the house once when interest rates dipped. Within two years, we had payed off every bill exept for our mortgage and was able to save a down payment for a larger house. When we sat down with the mortgage lender, he was surprised to see that we had no debt.

I learned other saving techniques since then, but now we have two children. We have lived large since they were born, have moved up a couple of times**thanks to low interest market and real estate demand. We are never too far from our budgeting ways though. After my last child was born, I haven't been working, so I find more ways for us to better use our money. We have helped people in the past too, given our resources generously and I think that we have been 'blessed' by this too. I did go through my house recently, and I was amazed by all of the 'stuff' that we have collected over the years** Keep getting rid of it like you're doing: ebay, garage sales** contribute (tax deductable) etc... And, I'm talking to myself here: don't add to it!

We had made drastic changes too. We had one car for a short time, but I only lived 3 mins from work then. I enjoyed the walk home. That didn't last too long. I also remember wearing sweaters in the house during the winter!

I love the ING accounts that pay 2.2% and I'm looking into the CDs for short-term investments. I'm thinking about putting our travel fund into a short term CD to earn the most interest on this budgeted money. We use one credit card that earns us Flight miles. We pay it off every month, but I'm trying to switch to a better CC that will pay us back some $$ instead. We put food, gas, large purchases on this card. Money management for a family these days takes a lot of time and research. We haven't found a 'financial' person who could do this better than ourselves so far. We keep looking! We do have a trusted CPA and real estate agent that we wouldn't trade.

You sound very open to taking in advice which is good. That is half the battle! I've tried to help friends in the past with budgets, advice, meal plans etc.... I've found that this old saying is soooo true: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink!"

Keep up the good work**Best Wishes!! I hope that a big payoff is in your future for taking care of this now**:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

peacefulgirl,

Congratulations on your progress!!

Keep going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by peacefulgirl

- - pay attention to use cell phone for all LD calls (savings= 5.00/month)

PG

Just be careful and don't go over your alloted cell plan minutes. Those additional minute charges can kill whatever savings you have achieved in phone charges so far.

A friend recommended www.onesuite.com to me and my mom. Only 2.5 cents per minute domestically. Some of their international rates are unbelieveable. No minimum charges per call.

It's great. We no longer carry LD service on our land lines. We use our cells and then onesuite in order to not go over on our cell plans. Since 6/1/04 upto today, my mom and I have used 1120 domestic and international long distance minutes for a total of $28.92.

Cinderpals,

Well, what do you know? My anniversary is 9/28 also! Our 8th this year! Have a good one tomorrow!

Hi Peacefulgirl, great job! I knew you could do it! You (and other posters) have inspired me to 'tighten our belts' a bit more, too. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress!
:)

HEY SleepyatDVC and Peacefulgirl!

SleepyatDVC did you burn 12inch candles, feast on Jumbo Shrimp,
enjoy Frechenette champagne bougtht at Kappy's liquors @$6.99 and have Biskottie and Rum Log for desert?
By the way Peacefulgirl what desert did youall decide on?
Both of you don't forget to circle that special day of the month on the October calender.

"ENJOY!!!"

"THE MAGIC HAPPENS!!!"

Originally posted by MK Familystone
SleepyatDVC did you burn 12inch candles, feast on Jumbo Shrimp,
enjoy Frechenette champagne bougtht at Kappy's liquors @$6.99 and have Biskottie and Rum Log for desert?

Thanks for asking.

It was pouring rain here in NYC on Tuesday night.

DH and I went out to eat after work and left the kids with my parents.

We shared an appetitizer and an entree. Where did we go? Can you believe Pizzari Uno? It's where we ate on our very first date over 12 years ago. We were too tired and the weather was too lousy to dress up and go some place fancy.

We spent a lot of time just talking - about anything, about how we are feeling, about the future, what we want, etc. When you have small children it's pretty hard to find time to talk - especially about non-child related subjects.

They were actually too stuffed for dessert.

We had to pick up the kids from Mom and get them home and ready for bed, etc. By the time the kids fell asleep, we did the exact same thing we did on our wedding night - fall to sleep in bed exhausted!!!!!!!! Lol! :eek: :jester:

And just like 8 years ago, we had our "celebration" the next night when we were both relaxed and energetic! :teeth:

Time to look for that Circled Date on the October Calender!
Little tough this month , the date falls on a weekday, BUMMER!
OH WELL!
Nothing like Dinner Date to perc up the next two weeks!

"THE MAGIC HAPPENS!!!"

Hi ALL!
Good Time we had thanks to the scheduling of the Red Soxs
Playoffs!
The Our Monthly Dinner Date landed on the Red Sox Travel Day!
No pressure to listen or watch television during Our Monthly Dinner Date Meal and Deserts!
Hope Yours was enjoyable also!

"THE MAGIC HAPPENS!!!"

Cinderpals - One more "Trusted person" you need to add to your budgeting is a Trusted Loan Officer. A Trusted Loan Officer can save you a lot of money on your real estate refi's or purchases. A
Trusted Loan Officer will make sure that the, yield spread is
1 - 3%. With a Trusted Loan Officer you no longer need to shop your loan, Because you know they will make sure get the best deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter