~help I am broke! ~ ! BIG $$ mess here

Originally posted by Tsi2quick
Carolyn - Ever thought about having your son get a job to pay for this added expense? I don't think its written in the parental guide that you have to pay for this! lol

I agree with much you said. He's currently a full time high school student plus taking classes at the local community college. We've discussed this and other options. If things aren't manageable he knows he'll have to drop the extra classes and get a part-time job. Right now I'm so glad he's found some classes that excite him. It's been a constant struggle with his high school classes but these seem to have sparked his interest.

By the way, where do I get a copy of that parental guide? I could sure use one. :D Of course since I'm attempting to begin a new spending plan I guess I should see if they have it at my local library. ;)

Carolyn

Something to consider . . . that "get a job and learn responsibility" thing can go two ways:

1. For some kids, it works like a charm. They grasp the concept that money doesn't grow on trees. The glimpse of the business world helps them shape their own ideas of what they want to do (or never do again) in the future. They keep their grades up, they become more focused, and it's a positive thing.

2. For others, it backfires and spirals out of control. They suddenly have "too much money", and it burns holes in their pockets (which opens the door to temptations such as drugs and alcohol). They decide that work is more important than school, and their grades slide. School clubs, sports, etc. are dropped because they're not as important as work. They decide that they're adults now that they're "supporting themselves" (even though mom and dad are still paying for the great majority of their needs), and they become difficult to manage at home.

From what I've seen in my decade and a half as a teacher, the key to a positive teenaged work experience is parental involvement. When parents set limits on kids working (for example, you can work no more than 15 hours per week, 50% of the paycheck goes into savings -- whatever seems appropriate for the individual family), then it seems to work. When high school kids try to work 35 hours a week (don't laugh -- at least 20% of my seniors are working FULL TIME), it doesn't work and the child suffers. No one needs car insurance as much as he needs a high school diploma!

Personally, I don't want my children to work during the school year (summers are another story). They have two jobs: Being my kids and getting an education; that's enough at a young age. I have high expectations for their grades; at least one of mine is fairly sure to get a full-ride scholarship, which will be more profitable in the long run than a part-time job. The teen years are the only time they'll be able to throw themselves into clubs, sports, church youth group, music . . . whatever they may become interested in. They have many years ahead in which to work, but they can never go back and be a kid again. If they really, really want school-year jobs as teens, I'd probably let them work a few hours each week -- emphasis on a few.

Raising Teens is a WHOLE different subject all together !!!! :crazy:

I have been sooo busy I haven't been able to post the cuts yet !!

Yikes let it slow down here PLEEEEEAASE!

Today is DD's 11th BDAY :bday: !!!!

PG
this is my brain ... round and round .....:flower1:

Wheww! I just read this whole thread! Sounds like everyone has shared some great advise, but I think maybe much of your budgeting problems may be related to your "untouchables" post. In the 1st page you mentioned that you drive your daughter to school each day 45 minutes and that she is involved in 3 "activities." This, I interpret, as she is going to private school and your have her involved in quite a few "lessons." While you have given no details in this area, this area of your finances is likely draining several hundred dollars a month. While I have a child and understand the importance of giving them expereinces, if the family is experiencing financial difficulties shouldn't she also be required to make some sacrifices? Teaching children about money and limitations is an important lesson in and of itself. Maybe she should also sit down with you and your husband when you have these planning sessions and be a part of the planning. You might be surprised by what she is willing to give up and that she too will learn some valuable money lessons. Good luck!

You know wmarsich, you make a very good point that i hadn't thought of. Kids today are almost too involved and over-estended, with parents thinking they 'must' do so many things at once. Which frankly, leads to burn out in their later years. I've seen that alot.

And i'll take it one step further....

While EVERY situation is different, our family learned from experience that private and parochial schools are not necessarily better for elementary and high school, and certainly not better in every area of study or interest (i.e. music, sports etc). And actually, they're lacking in many ways when you take a long hard, true look at everything. Much more i could write about that...!

We did alot of thinking, analyzing and praying and determined that since the private schools here any better than public (in SAT / ACT stats, college entrance and much more), we decided our $$ will be MUCH better invested / saved for their college years, when the college they choose WILL make a HUGE difference in their lives.

So, unless you're in an area where the schools are truly poor in standards and offerings, that might be a consideration. Especially in elementary and middle school.

Tuition is expensive at any age, but wait until you start contemplating college! Woah! It will be a whole new (and NOT fun) ballgame.

JMHO.

We did alot of thinking, analyzing and praying and determined that since the private schools here any better than public (in SAT / ACT stats, college entrance and much more), we decided our $$ will be MUCH better invested / saved for their college years, when the college they choose WILL make a HUGE difference in their lives.

Remember that private schools can pick their enrollment. You can "flunk out" of a private school or get expelled. Plus, because parents pay big bucks for private schools, the parents are more involved. The parents are more likely to be college graduates - passing along genes to their kids for intellegence, ambition, etc. If public schools could get rid of the troublemakers, flunk out the kids not up to their standards, and ensure the committment of parents that private schools have, and have the same socio-economic demographics - they'd have better test scores, too!

But population means are poor predictors for individual results.

Oh yes, which is another reason i feel so blessed we can afford this suburb with such outstanding, award-winning public schools!
And likely why the vast majority of kids here go public and not private - Heaven knows we're paying enough taxes for them! :)
But well worth every penny.

Originally posted by CarolynNC
I agree with much you said. He's currently a full time high school student plus taking classes at the local community college. We've discussed this and other options. If things aren't manageable he knows he'll have to drop the extra classes and get a part-time job. Right now I'm so glad he's found some classes that excite him. It's been a constant struggle with his high school classes but these seem to have sparked his interest.

By the way, where do I get a copy of that parental guide? I could sure use one. :D Of course since I'm attempting to begin a new spending plan I guess I should see if they have it at my local library. ;)

Carolyn

DROP CLASSESS????????? Do you want to support him forever? If he's found something educational that he is interested in, then let him go for it! Education = choices in the future. A better choice of the type of job you want, and where you wa nt to live, and how you want to live. Now, of course that's not 100% always the class, there are lots of out of work (or underemployed) MBAs right now. But there are alot more out of work high school grads. Let him take his classes. Have him take a bus if necessary, or hookup a car pool with someone if you're willing to chip in for gas. Don't put a having a car before educational opportunity.

Sorcha

Are you kidding me? Having him drop classes for a PT job will not necessary deflate interest in academics. What grade is he in? Junior/Senior?

In my FL they have dual enrollment--you take a community college class in high school for credit and early entry--you take the same class for the same credit--but at the community college.

Both are covered by the state and are free. If your son is taking classes on top of his regular schedule-bummer school system to not have a better offering. You might look and see what your state policies are regarding this.

Have you looked into possibly homeschooling him and just doing all early entry -- basically earning college credits and a diploma at the same time. In our state that is allowed and they pay for it :)--not sure about others. Some might say you aren't actually homeschooling--but if he has issues with regular education--then maybe they aren't really educating him either. Just a thought.

Of course, taking classes now will in the end it will reduce overall college expenses if some core courses can get out of the way. Without having to take max credit load during the semesters--he will have some time to get a job while in college.

Wheww! I just read this whole thread! Sounds like everyone has shared some great advise, but I think maybe much of your budgeting problems may be related to your "untouchables" post. In the 1st page you mentioned that you drive your daughter to school each day 45 minutes and that she is involved in 3 "activities." This, I interpret, as she is going to private school and your have her involved in quite a few "lessons." While you have given no details in this area, this area of your finances is likely draining several hundred dollars a month. While I have a child and understand the importance of giving them expereinces, if the family is experiencing financial difficulties shouldn't she also be required to make some sacrifices? Teaching children about money and limitations is an important lesson in and of itself. Maybe she should also sit down with you and your husband when you have these planning sessions and be a part of the planning. You might be surprised by what she is willing to give up and that she too will learn some valuable money lessons. Good luck!

My daughter is only is two activities, one is 1 hour a week-theater, and one is Karate that is 3 days a week. I am the type that thinks over loading your child in activities is insane and the stress that kind of schedule puts on the family in my eyes is not worth it. We keep it way down in that area.

As far as my DD and teaching her "understanding sacrifice... she is well aware of that. She is not the kind of kid that wants wants wants. Today is her 11th Bday, I told her becuz we are going to Disney in Oct, we will not be having a party for her. She is fine with that! She also said we could use her money if we needed too for whatever. She is a sweetie ! :) The activities and reasons why the hold importance is all in our choosing as parents. She needs karate for the exercise, disipline and goal. The goal of a black belt, of completing something. Yesterday she said "is karate something I will put of my college application".... I mean at 11 I certainly wasnt thinking like that! Gosh in HS I wasn't thinking like that! This girl knows her stuff. When she talks about driving, I said, what are you gonna do when you have no gas $$. She said "that'll never happen ! I want to be able to go out when I want,so I will work and make sure I always have the $$ for that"
I am proud of her.

As far as her school, Oh if you only knew the experience she has there. It is a Christian school, filled with Jesus' heart. That is not something I would give up. You must realize, the travel alone must say something, if we are willing to do that kind of comute, don't you think we would only do it if it was worth it... We do have a carpool that cuts off 1/2 the ride when they can. They can't get her everyday, but FOR FREE !!! they get her for us 70% of the timein the PM and 100% of the AM. Also my hubby drives
25 minute away from the house here to her carpool, the backtracks that 25 and another 25 to his job. Believe me, if all that sacrifice wasn't worth it, we wouldn't do it. But it is worth that and more. The tuition is 2950.00 a year. I would pay more in a heartbeat! And in 11th grade, she can do (free) dual enrollment too for 2 years !!

Also, the education she gets here, will give her a pretty good chance of getting a scholarship to college, forget that in public here. The education is outstanding compared to the average she would get in public. Plus like I said, to be in the heart of Jesus all day, you just can't put a price on that!

PG

After ALL THE PAGES on this thread. YOU need a DINNER DATE BREAK this weekend. A week ago I suggested that you and your Hubby make a Dinner Date. IMHO this Saturday would do you RIGHT!
Don't forget the Dollar Store 12 inch candles, $10 Frechenette Champange plus Large precooked shrimp with cocktailsauce appetizer before the main course.

"ENJOY!!!"

"THE MAGIC HAPPENS!!!"
:jester: :jester: :jester:

Wow, I never said take the kid out of class and stick him in Wal-Mart for part-time money! lol I think Carolyn understood what I was saying but some afterwards may have missed the point.

Not all kids are created equal so not everything I said is universal. I was decent in school, good when I tried but generally high school education isn't something that is very engaging. No offense to the teachers here. When I got to college it was a different story, I took classes that interested me and never looked back. I say all that to say this, just because a teenager may get a job doesn't mean his grades will suffer and he will become a pot head! I knew plenty of unemployed potheads in highschool! haha The funny thing is, it was generally my experience that the kids that had money given to them by the parents or some other source rather than a job were more into drugs than those that had jobs. I am 27 so my highschool days aren't that far back so it probably hasn't changed all that much, maybe the drug of choice! lol

I just offered a suggestion to someone that is one a single budget with a male teenage son that is going to be driving as I was the "teenage son" not that long ago.

Just for the record, I guess I worked generally 20-25 hours a week. Most of it was weekend hours but I would get in 8 hours or so through the week. I didn't have a big interest in clubs or afterschool activities so this was no big deal to me but I understand all kids are different and working afterschool would hurt some students.

So, it was just a suggestion and not my attempt at trying to create an illiterate world of potheads that work part-time jobs! :teeth:

Tsi2quick

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Its ok, I am sure everyone knows what you meant. Different strokes for different folks! I am sure because some are in the situation or see if often, they have it close to their heart and its kinda up front for them, maybe making them a lil sensitive...

Its all ok. :)

I knew plenty of unemployed potheads in highschool! haha The funny thing is, it was generally my experience that the kids that had money given to them by the parents or some other source rather than a job were more into drugs than those that had jobs. I am 27 so my highschool days aren't that far back so it probably hasn't changed all that much, maybe the drug of choice!

Me too and my HS years were 20 years ago!!! Same thing then !

PG

After ALL THE PAGES on this thread. YOU need a DINNER DATE BREAK this weekend. A week ago I suggested that you and your Hubby make a Dinner Date. IMHO this Saturday would do you RIGHT!
Don't forget the Dollar Store 12 inch candles, $10 Frechenette Champange plus Large precooked shrimp with cocktailsauce appetizer before the main course.

"ENJOY!!!"

MK Familystone,

Don't I know it !! I worked 1 day OT last week and have to again this week. We don't see much OT here and before I would NEVER do it, but it is a must right now. So yes, I need a break, and honestly I could use one day alone AND one with him !!!! Yilkes !!!

PG

I realized I needed to be very careful not to hijack this thread off in another direction so I'm not going to respond to any of the earlier comments about my dilemma and keep my questions general. :duck:

I'm working on my budget plan just like peacefulgirl so maybe this question will also help her with her planning. :D I've read lots of information regarding percentages you should be saving and I'm not coming up with a consensus. In fact I'm getting very confused. Is the % suppose to be of gross or net? There's talk of short and long term savings. Where do retirement accounts fall in this scheme? I'd like to know what most think is the proper amount. I think I might have some leeway in my budget if I cut my savings back just a little. I'm currently contributing 5% of my gross pay to retirement plus 15% of gross to savings.

So, any authorities out there who know the definitive answer? Anyone who's almost an authority who has an answer? Anyone out there who just wants to voice their opinion? :teeth:

Carolyn

Carolyn,

There isn't a definitive answer. The answer depends on your lifestyle, your tolerance for risk, you plans for the future.

For instance, lets say you net after taxes $100,000 a year. You live off $40,000. You can save 60% of your income. Since you live off $40,000 a year, when you retire you only need $40,000 in income, so this would be a good scenario to support early retirement, or a high risk job - the type that you are often out of work for long periods of time.

But most of us can't afford early retirement and don't need to worry about only working half time due to a risk laden career.

You should have enough emergency money saved up to support six months of your expenses if you lose a job. That's a good rule of thumb, but may not be necessary if you primary income is a high demand job with low risk (nursing, for instance). If you'd have trouble finding a new job with the same income, you might want a year or more saved up. A person with a high tolerance for risk may choose to save nothing. Someone with a low tolerance will probably feel comfortable having as much as possible set aside.

You should save enough for retirement that you will be able to keep your lifestyle the same - i.e. you income from your retirement accounts, plus spending the principal at a rate equal to your expected lifespan (which is SO easy to predict), should equal your current expenses - minus any expenses you won't have when you are retired (hopefully your mortgage, college, etc, will be paid for before you retire) - but plus any expenses you'll add as part of your retirement lifestyle (travel, golf?).

You should have enough short term savings to cover needing a new washer or new transmission for the car. You don't want the "wear and tear" of life to throw you in sudden debt. However, someone with a low tolerance for risk might save enough to replace the washer, dryer, fix the car and do emergency surgery on the dog, all at the same time. Someone with a high tolerance for risk may feel comfortable with a few hundred dollars set aside.

You should save enough to meet your financial goals - i.e. do you want a new car, save for it. Do you want to finance your kids college (I'm not implying an obligation here, btw), save for it. Are $60,000 weddings paid for by the brides family something you'll be doing, and you have a 14 year old daughter, save for it. In our house we save for college and cars and vacations - we don't save for weddings, boats, snowmobiles.....)

Want to bet you get alot of different opinions on these ?'s??
No expert here - I have taken some of the required classes to become a CFP, mainly as a hobby/interest though. This information comes from those classes.
1) it should be a % of your gross income.

2) long - term savings are where your retirement accounts fall into (unless of course you are close to or in retirement) other items that fall into long-term savings are anything generally 5+ yrs away. short-term savings are those items that will/may need to be accessed within a year.

We were given this general guideline to advise people based on their age.

in your early 20's thru mid-20's - 10% of gross income, if done until the age of 45 will entirely fund a retirement.
late 20's - late 30's - 15-25% of gross income, until retirement
40's - retirement - 20-35% of gross income, until retirement.

Somethings to remember when funding your retirement plan -

the younger you start the less you need to save, due to compounding of the interest/prin. and the longer savings period.

make sure you are funding a comfortable lifestyle, and that depends on your needs/wants. if you live comfortably now, fund your plan based on your current income. but if you aren't living comfortably right now you will need to plan to save more for retirement to have a better lifestyle then. HUGE catch-22 situation,huh?

What other savings goals do you have that require 15% to be used for general savings?

Originally posted by Lisa loves Pooh
Are you kidding me? Having him drop classes for a PT job will not necessary deflate interest in academics. What grade is he in? Junior/Senior?

It sends the message that having "things" is more important than getting educated. Education should be the #1 priority of anyone under 21.

Sorcha

Originally posted by Tsi2quick
Wow, I never said take the kid out of class and stick him in Wal-Mart for part-time money! lol I think Carolyn understood what I was saying but some afterwards may have missed the point.

So, it was just a suggestion and not my attempt at trying to create an illiterate world of potheads that work part-time jobs! :teeth:

lol No, I didn't think you were!! And I totally agree, kids (and I think human nature in general) don't appreciate things when they don't have to work for them. People place a much higher value on things that they have to work for and don't come easy.

I see no problem with working 20 hours a week on the weekends if it can be fit into the schedule. But I just don't like even hearing the idea suggested that a boy drop classes he enjoys to make money for car insurance. There are other options to be considered first. Education should be the first priority. It really is the only avenue to real advancement in our society (well, unless you have a rich uncle!). I guess I sound like I'm a teacher, but I'm not.

I guess it *is* a subject sensitive to me. My sister has sons that are now 29 and 28, and they are good boys, but have no real job direction or career. They work in decent jobs (like landscaping and driving a delivery truck and computer tech support) but they are living in houses that their parents own and paying greatly reduced rents. They had great potential but they were never encouraged academically. And they were definitely given too much their whole lives.

Sorcha

Originally posted by ajksmom
What other savings goals do you have that require 15% to be used for general savings?

I don't have any specific goal for the 15% general savings. I've just always banked what I didn't need. I've dipped into the account when I needed a new washer, needed extra funds for vacation, had major car repair bills, that kind of thing.

My employer is great when it comes to matching retirement contributions. We're required to contribute 3% of our gross in order to receive a match of 7.6% of the 1st $44250 (gross income) and then 13.3% of above. My retirement fund is right on track. Of course it took a hit several years ago when most everybody's took a nose dive but it's recovering. I have my $ in several different funds so some faired better than others.

I'm still researching different budget sites and it's amazing how much they differ in their recommendations.

Carolyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter