Help! GF, BC or Poly

mollymar

Mouseketeer
DH, DS12 and I are booked to stay 9 nights at the POFQ in Sept. My parents have now decided they want to come and will pay for our rooms. My mom has always wanted to stay at the GF, but I hear the BC is better. I've always wanted to stay at the Poly. Now I don't know what to do! Which is your favorite and why?

Among those resorts I have stayed at the Polynesian and will be staying for the first time at the Beach Club this August. Personally I would say you should choose your resort on which park you plan to visit more. If it's the Magic Kingdom go with either the Polynesian or Grand Floridian. However if it's Epcot and Hollywood Studios then go with the Beach Club.

Thank you!:)

We plan on spending two days at each park so it's kind of a wash. I also forgot to mention we will be on the regular dining plan and will probably want to do the counter service meal at the hotel.

I would go with the GF, it is an amazing resort and being on the monorail is great. I also think it would be a nice gesture to stay at the resort your mom wants to ;). The GF is close enough to the Poly that you can walk there to explore the resort or have meals there. You can also take the monorail to the CR and eat at the restaurants there.

I have stayed at all of them except BC, and of them, I find the Poly much better for my tastes...but everyone can vary, the GF is certainly no slouch! Also, if youre going in 4 months, shouldn't you be on the free deluxe dining plan? As far as the hotels food courts, I still prefer Poly's over the GF's......but again, its all opinionated.

Hi OP! Tough decision and so many factors to consider! Our favorite is BC, but we also love Poly and have stayed at both multiple times.

BC is our all-around favorite because we love to walk to two parks (Epcot and DHS), Stormalong Bay is an amazing pool, the renovated rooms have a fresh clean look and I'm a beach girl, so I love the theme. We also tend to spend the day in one park and then hop to Epcot for dinner and really enjoy just strolling out the International Gateway and back to our room at the end of the night. Our most recent BC stay was in February and it was wonderful, as usual!

I've loved Poly since childhood and our most recent stay there was this January. If you plan to spend lots of time at MK, that's a great place to be. The dining options are great - love Captain Cook's, Ohana for breakfast or dinner, Kona for lunch and the sushi bar is great for a snack, too. For many, proximity to Cinderella Castle/MK is a big factor and Poly has that! Of the monorail resorts, we like Poly based on theme and the easy transportation - we can catch a direct monorail to MK from the GCH and we can catch a direct monorail to Epcot from TTC. At the Grand Floridian, you would have to monorail to TTC and then transfer to get to Epcot - we don't enjoy that route so much.

We're not GF fans - theme just doesn't appeal to us. I like the idea of a "flagship" resort and we LOVE the Grand Californian at DL, but just not crazy about GF. That said, I understand what the previous poster is saying about going with your mom's resort preference.

The good news is that these are all great choices! Good luck with your decision and have a wonderful trip!! :wizard:

If your parents are paying I would stay where your mom wants to stay. I don't think you can go wrong with the GF. Its a beautiful resort.

I have stayed at all of them except BC, and of them, I find the Poly much better for my tastes...but everyone can vary, the GF is certainly no slouch! Also, if youre going in 4 months, shouldn't you be on the free deluxe dining plan? As far as the hotels food courts, I still prefer Poly's over the GF's......but again, its all opinionated.

My dad is retired military so we are getting the 40% off and paying for the regular dining plan.

Thank you all for your responses. I love the disboards! :love:
I really appreciate the advise. We've only stayed at AKL and WL for deluxes so have no clue about the otheres. I think I'm leaning toward the GF for my mom. Especially since they are paying.;)

We have always loved the Polynesian. We are trying the GF in July and I'm sure we will love it too, but it was hard to change from the Poly. Great places to eat at the Poly too.

GF is great, and if your mother has always wanted to stay there, then make her dreams come true

Another vote for the GF! :love: Especially since your mom is paying, it's a nice gesture to her. :goodvibes Also, that place is pricey w/o the 40% off! I've stayed at the YC and will be at the Poly in July (also with the military discount!) but the GF is my dream resort. :)

We have stayed at all 3 with the Poly being our favorite, although the BC and GF are also very nice :goodvibes. With that said, I do agree with the others that if mom is paying, I would go with the GF if that's where she wants to stay ;). The BC is a great resort, but it doesn't have much for CS :(. It has grab-n-go items at the Marketplace located in the back of the gift shop, but it doesn't have the variety that Captain Cooks (Poly) or Gasparilla's (GF) has. This is the one reason we haven't gone back to the BC. My family likes hot items for breakfast (waffles, eggs, etc), which you can't get at the BC unless you do a sit down TS meal. There is Hurricane Hannah's out by the pool, but that is not open for breakfast. They are all great resorts and you can't go wrong with any of them, but if CS is important to you, I would stick with the Poly or GF :).

How exciting!! :goodvibes

I have not stayed at the Poly, but I have stayed at GF and BC. I have loved both of them. Although the GF is stunning, I am giving a slight edge to BC. I loved being near the boardwalk and EPCOT and DHS. Also, I liked that the dining plan was accepted at the food place at the pool. It made it easier for me with DS.

I have to say tho, the GF was gorgeous and I am so happy that once in my lifetime I was able to stay there! If you want the monorail, then GF and Poly are obviously your choices, but since you said you are splitting time at all parks, it's really up to you!! You won't go wrong with wherever you choose!!

Have a fabulous vacation!!! :thumbsup2

I have stayed at all three and would chose the BC for sure for a slew of reason but the main reason is convenience.

The location is incredible. Steps away from the International Gateway of Epcot, a short walk to the Boardwal and all it has to offer, and a bit longer walk (or boat ride) to DHS.

And of course Storm Along Bay would be a close second!

J

DH, DS12 and I are booked to stay 9 nights at the POFQ in Sept. My parents have now decided they want to come and will pay for our rooms. My mom has always wanted to stay at the GF, but I hear the BC is better. I've always wanted to stay at the Poly. Now I don't know what to do! Which is your favorite and why?

If she's always wanted to stay at GF, and she's paying, I'd stay at the GF! Particularly if you're torn between the 3 resorts, and you weren't going to stay at any of them initially anyway. GF is on the monorail, and I hear it's great!

You are getting lots of good advice!

These are exactly the 3 resorts we have been fortunate to stay at, and we loved each one. You really cannot go wrong. The GF was first, and to be honest, I think our hearts belong to the GF, in a way. We also love eating at Narcoossee's and Citrico's (esp. standing out on the dock watching Wishes after a good meal at Narcoossee's!). We love sitting in the lobby having a drink and listening to the music. We also enjoy the boat transportation to MK, Wilderness Lodge (for dinner). Some call is stuffy, but I can tell you, my boys feel totally comfortable there.

But...when I took my twin DS12 (then 11) and their friend, on my own, I could see how much the Poly theming and pool appealed to them. And, with one of the boys in a wheelchair, I loved the easy access to both monorail routes (less pushing up and down ramps!). As the only adult wrangling 3 excited boys, making the transportation easy was a big plus.

And then...in March we had our first brief stay at the Beach Club, and I know we'll be back! The boys absolutely LOVED Stormalong Bay, Beaches & Cream. And their favourite park is Epcot, so the convenience of walking over to the International Gateway was fantastic (we were just there for 2 nights before a cruise, so we just went to Epcot).

One of my boys is home sick, and I just asked him which of these three he likes best...he says the Beach Club!

However...I do think you should listen carefully to your mother's wishes. If the GF will be a dream come true, then why not make it a special trip for her and stay there? We planned our first trip like it might be our only one, but somehow we've had 3 more...

Here is the #1 reason why the Epcot resorts appeal to me - you can walk home after 2 out of the 3 nighttime shows and can avoid the mass exodus and stampede to the transportation. After Illuminations & Fantasmic, you have the option of walking back to your resort. This is really handy especially during peak times. You'll have to take the bus back from MK after Wishes, but if it's a busy time of the year, the park will be open long after Wishes, so you don't get the same exodus you get after the Epcot or DHS fireworks.

If I was traveling with small children, I would say definitely GF, but since that's not an issue, until I have kids who want to be at MK day and night, especially during super busy times, I would stick to the Epcot resorts for the above reason.

GF is great, and if your mother has always wanted to stay there, then make her dreams come true

Gotta' tell ya'... I completely agree ! :rotfl: If someone else is "paying" for my stay :cool1: ... I'll stay wherever they want :confused3 ... and if they want to do the GF... even better ! :thumbsup2 Wow ! :banana: I've stayed at all three, and my "favorites list" would go like this: The CR, followed by The BC... then The GF... and The Poly would be "down the list" after The YC and WL ! The reason behind that is as a PP stated, "...The GF (or in my case, The CR) for The MK and The BC for EPCOT !" Do it - do it - do it ! :wizard:

Definitely Grand Floridian, especially since this is what your Mom wants and is paying. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter