• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help Dumb Guy With Traveler Checks?

Okie_2C_Mickey

Earning My Ears
Dumb Guy Here.

Never used travelers checks.
Never had a need to.
But the idea of toting a couple thousand bucks around doesn't cotton to me.
37 and feeling dumb.
How do I convert cash to checks and how do I get the checks cased at Disney World??
Do they take them?
Are they safe?

Humbly thanking you in advance.

Dumb Guy.
:rolleyes:

I take that back...
rofl.
I don't want my checks "cased" but cashed.
So all you would be criminals 86 that last post.
:p

I don't think you need that many traveller's checks as long as you can use your credit card. I would try to use credit cards for most of your purchases and then if you are a AAA member you can get traveller's checks without a fee for the others. Decide how much cash you would really need. They will give you the info and how to record the numbers you have and what to do if they are lost or stolen.

Jenn

You are NOT dumb for asking. We use them whenever we travel-is is easier and safer. Yes, Walt Disney World accepts them-no problem. Just use them as cash when you pay for an item. They give you cash in return if there is any change coming back. You must sign them when you originally purchased them and then again in front of the individual you are paying. Make sure you record the serial numbers on the record provided and stash somewhere in your room, etc.. incase of an emergency. If you need to replace them, etc... I think it is wise to carry traveler's checks instead of large stashes of cash. You loose your wallet and your vacation goes right along with it! Any leftovers can be spent anywhere you shop, mall, grocery store-wherever.

PS-Disney accepts personal checks as well!

Have fun!

thanks,

the thing is...
I was able to get a cash advance on my card at 4% for 6 months as opposed to using the card at 17%.
The cash is in the bank and I need to turn it into travelers checks.
????
:confused:

I'll try to answer your question.

You can buy traveler's checks at your bank or credit union. The bank charges you, 1.50 per 100.00 of checks you buy or something close to that. If you belong to AAA they will give you travelers check for no fee.

You can pretty much cash traveler's checks anywhere, I usually cashed one at the front desk of my hotel and then used that cash for the day.

Another option, (this is what I usually did) if you are staying at an on-site hotel, is to charge everthing thing you can back to the room and they pay the balance with your traveler's checks.

Sharbear

Disney accepts out of state checks??
Wow.
Does Universal accept Traveler's Checks and Personal checks as well?

If I understand you correctly - you are carrying a balance on your credit card at 17% interest - and that's why you are spending cash - correct? In that case definitely go with the travelers checks.

I have only written personal checks at Disney myself. I don't know about Universal, but I bet you could call them and ask!

I have used traveler cheques (VISA and American Express) in WDW and Universal. Used them for Hotel, Tickets, Food, Souveniers (stablished stores, never tried in the posts in the paths).
Changed them for cash in the Hotel Front Desk with no problem.
A friend of mine lost $200 in traveler cheques, and he got full refund.
My advise is to buy $50 or $100 traveler cheques, once bought $20's and spent several minutes signing them in the front desk...

Sorry to piggy-back on your post but...

Do you have to show ID when you cash a check? I used them a few years back but don't remember. I always have ID on me but if my DH is off with the backpack, do I need to make sure to grab my ID out of it? Or is it okay as long as the new signature matches the original one?

I don't believe I have ever been asked. They are supposed to compare signatures as proof. I think it would be wise to have ID anyway.

I have been asked a couple times for i.d. for the travelers checks.

And yes, to the original poster, get most of your travelers checks in 50's or you'll have a ton to carry around.

Herc.

I have been asked for ID with Travellers checks but I don't think they're supposed to. It's really easy.

Are you staying on site? Because maybe you could charge things to your room & just use the travelers checks or regular checks at the end of your stay. You would just need to check out at the front desk & pay your bill with them.

It sounds like for the $$ amount you want, your best bet is AAA, because they are free. I think the two user ones are also free. If you aren't already a member, it's around $35/year. They also have a small discount on park hopper passes and free maps & junk like that. And of course, it's great to get free towing, if you need it :)

Not only does Disney accept them, they let you abbriviate (SP?) by writing WDW in the pay to the order blank. They really want to make it easy for you to spend that good ol' money any way you want to. Seriously, like everything else, they try to make your trip as hastle free as possible.

We usually get $200.00 in twenties for use off site and at the kiosk type venders and the rest in $100.00's for use in the parks. Believe me, those $100.00's will go pretty fast and there is no point in having to sign a bunch of those twenty checks when the dinner check comes or you are buying souveniers and the kids are ready to go catch a ride.

My bank doesn't charge a fee for the American Express TC's because of the type of checking account I have. Check yours......With any luck, your's will be free too....:smooth:

Use the credit card and then pay for your purchases with the cash in the bank when the bill comes in. No interest.

Not So Dumb Guy--Whether Disney or somewhere else, I think its easiest to get to your regular checking and savings through the ATMs--and Disney knows this and dutifully provides its guests with these machines pretty closely spaced--how thoughtful. About $4 fee ($2 on each side--ATM and your own bank). I think that's a lot easier than carrying checks! Go back--and back again!-- to the ATM when you run out of cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter