Help Dinner ideas to take...

Spinning

<font color=deeppink>Give me a chunk of something
AS some of you know my friend has been diagnosed with Cancer. Our church has been so wonderful providing meals for the family. I have made several but running out of ideas.
They need to be organic (MD recomended) no red meat, limited dairy, no processed foods. Easy to heat up. I can bring it close to dinner time. I would love a main dish I have a wonderful squash side that can be heated up. But I just don't know what to fix with Chicken.

no I haven't yet....I was hoping all of you great ladies would be able to help! PUMBA came to my mind! LOL! She always has great ideas!
I have a great crusted pork roast I may try but hoped someone would have some other ideas.

The first thing that came to mind was Tortilla Soup, but you already have a side dish. That might be nice another time with Corn & Bean Salad & bread.

Anyway, I had 2 ideas. We've often had enough of these to have for left-overs a 2nd night, so I know they re-heat well.

Five Flavors Chicken - Crock Pot
3 - 4 lb chicken, boneless
2 cloves garlic
½ c honey
1½ tsp ginger, ground
½ c soy sauce (low sodium is fine)
3 Tbl sherry
½ c crushed pineapple with juice (opt)
2 Tbl cornstarch

Mix garlic, honey, ginger, soy & sherry. (Can substitute orange or cranberry juice for sherry.) Dip chicken into mixture. Place chicken in crock. Mix pineapple with sauce & pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6 hours. Remove chicken. Blend cornstarch into juice; cook to thicken.
[NOTE: I always make this using orange juice. When I got this, it called for bone-in pieces but I found the bones kind of disintegrate & are hard to remove.]

This one is great grilled, but fine in the oven. Since you're in PA too, I'm not sure you'll have a nice nough day to grill - until at least August! ;)
Rosemary Chicken
4 - 6 chicken breasts
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp rosemary, fresh or
1 tsp rosemary, dry
1 Tbl dijon mustard
1 Tbl lemon juice
2 Tbl olive, oil
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp lemon rind (opt)
Mix & coat chicken. Marinate ½ to 4 hours. Bake or grill.

Thank you so much! I think I will definately try the first one! Second one is yummy too! I think I had that before!

excellent idea I am so use to meat being the center of the meal I forget it doesn't have to be or be raviolli! THe sweet potato burrito sounds intriging! Healthy too!

I have a great one...It's:

Apricot Chicken

2 Tbsp. margarine
2 Tbsp olive oil
Chicken Breasts (usually 4 - 5)
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup apricot preserves
1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
1/2 cup nonfat yogurt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt margarine with oil in a shallow baking dish. Flour and salt the chicken breasts. Place in a single layer and bake for 25 minutes. Combine preserves, mustard, and yogurt. Spread over the chicken and bake for 30 minutes more.

We serve it with Basmati rice and usually squash in the summer! It's light and delicious..hope it helps!!

..chicken? Can it be pork? If it has to be chicken...how about chicken parm?
pork spare ribs-the boneless ones are great!
chicken soup...makes everything better...
chicken chili...haven't tried this but some like it...
how about chinese? In some stores you can find the seasonings and stuff to make these dishes...
chicken kabobs
chicken stir fry
chicken dinner-like a traditional turkey dinner-or how about just a turkey dinner
chicken stew
chicken a la king
chicken catchatorie
BBQ chicken
Fried chicken
glazed chicken
chicken brocoli bake
shake and bake chicken
chicken helper
chicken alfredo
or chicken braised, boiled or baked
you might what to check

www.cookinglite.com
www.epicurious.com

Hope this helps!

I got this recipe from Everyday foods (my new favorite cooking magazine). It's better with the wine left in, but you can leave it out or add a little bit of white wine vinegar or apple juice instead. You can also use much less oil than it calls for -- I use a misto and mist the pan before I cook the chicken. (I don't use a non-stick pan, because the stuck bits are what makes the sauce good.) I'm sure that with a good non-stick pan, you could almost eliminate the oil.

Braised chicken with mushrooms (serves 4: 294 calories, 10 grams fat, 43 grams protein, 7 grams carbohydrates)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb white mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced 1/2 inch thick
4 garlic cloves, halved
1/2 c dry white wine (optional, but much better with)
1 3/4 c chicken stock or reduced-sodioum canned broth
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

1. Sprinkle chicken breasts with 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add chicken, cook until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.

2. Add remaining tbsp. oil to hot skillet. Add mushrooms, garlic, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cover, cook over medium heat until mushrooms release their juices. Remove lid. Cook over high heat, tossing occasionally, until mushrooms are golden, 4-5 minutes.

3. Pour wine, if using, into skillet. cook, stirring, until evaporated, 1 minute. Add stock and parsley, cook over medium high heat huntil mushrooms are tender and liquid has reduced, 8-10 minutes.

4. Return chicken to skillet. Cover, simmer over low heat until chicken is cooked through, 10-12 minutes. Serve cutlets with mushrooms and cooking liquid.

As long as the wine is cooked than the alcohol is gone. So unless someone is stringently agains alcohol use it would be okay to use it.

I also make a meatloaf with ground turkey. I posted the "recipe" in a post a couple of days ago about meatloaf. I'll bump it up again for you. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter