Help, Didn’t buy cruise insurance but dad had a bad fall and will need to stay in the hospital, can’t cancel the cruise? Our cruise leaves on Thursday

Mommytofourkids

Mouseketeer
I don’t know what to do, my dad had a bad fall, fracturing his spine, ribs and has blood in the lungs. He and my mom were supposed to go on the cruise with us and now both won’t be able to go, we didn’t buy cruise insurance so can’t change our sail date or get a refund, what can we do? Is there any other way we can get cruise insurance?

I don’t know what to do, my dad had a bad fall, fracturing his spine, ribs and has blood in the lungs. He and my mom were supposed to go on the cruise with us and now both won’t be able to go, we didn’t buy cruise insurance so can’t change our sail date or get a refund, what can we do? Is there any other way we can get cruise insurance?
Have you also been exposed to Covid or have any Covid symptoms, possibly? If you report exposure to someone who has Covid or just to having Covid symptoms yourself, DCL will cancel your cruise and refund all of your money. No questions asked or documentation required. I had to do this two weeks ago when I had a persistent sore throat, fatigue and congestion in the week before my scheduled cruise.

Last edited:
Have you also been exposed to Covid or have any Covid symptoms, possibly? If you report exposure to someone who has Covid or just to having Covid symptoms yourself, DCL will cancel your cruise and refund all of your money. No questions asked or documentation required. I had to do this two weeks ago when I had a persistent sore throat, fatigue and congestion in the week before my scheduled cruise.
Thank you so much! I didn’t know they offered this, we have had exposure recently to people who have Covid so I will call to let them know

Did they refund you your cruise $$ or reschedule for you?

FYI You should consider yourself lucky.
Things like this are why you should buy cruise insurance!
(And to count on Disney's COVID refund policy in the future is not a safe choice.)

I hope your Dad heals fast!
Exactly. It wouldn't surprise me if Disney changes the policy to only giving refunds to those with positive test results.

(And to count on Disney's COVID refund policy in the future is not a safe choice.)

Well before covid my mom had a stroke less than 60 days before a HAL cruise, no trip insurance. No problem. Our Travel Agent called HAL and Alaska Airlines who refunded her money immediately, no questions asked. Now, things certainly could have changed since covid, but as our Travel Agent put it, it would be a horrible business decision for HAL not to refund the fare and all fees.

I know, it was so unexpected that my dad had this major accident so close to our sail date, in the future we will for sure buy the trip insurance in case something like this happens again! And thanks for the well wishes!

I know, it was so unexpected that my dad had this major accident so close to our sail date, in the future we will for sure buy the trip insurance in case something like this happens again! And thanks for the well wishes!
Pay off your cruise with a cc that has travel insurance such as the chase sapphire card. Then just buy supplemental medical in case anything happens on the cruise. It will be cheaper then the pricey DCL insurance.

The thing is... It doesn't even take a major accident to derail a big trip. A minor accident/illness poorly timed can do the same thing.

If you can't afford to eat the non-refundable parts of a trip you should buy trip insurance to cover them. (Insurance through the cruise line is the most expensive way to do it. Insurance on your own is generally cheaper with better coverage.)

Pay off your cruise with a cc that has travel insurance such as the chase sapphire card. Then just buy supplemental medical in case anything happens on the cruise. It will be cheaper then the pricey DCL insuran
Pay off your cruise with a cc that has travel insurance such as the chase sapphire card. Then just buy supplemental medical in case anything happens on the cruise. It will be cheaper then the pricey DCL insurance.
That’s a good idea, we have an American Express card that apparently I just found out and travel insurance so in the future will use that

The thing is... It doesn't even take a major accident to derail a big trip. A minor accident/illness poorly timed can do the same thing.

If you can't afford to eat the non-refundable parts of a trip you should buy trip insurance to cover them. (Insurance through the cruise line is the most expensive way to do it. Insurance on your own is generally cheaper with better coverage.)
Yeah, I agree, at the time my mom booked and payed for it so I didn’t know about the insurance thing, going forward I will make sure we buy some kind of insurance

Hope your dad has a quick recovery and is well. Good luck.

Insurance a must for cruises/international travel - no matter what age or health status.

When considering travel insurance, be sure to read the coverage details before buying it.

We bought Disney's (stupidly) several years ago when a close relative was seriously ill. Fortunately didn't need to use the insurance, because I noticed when about to shred the paperwork after the trip that it didn't cover an emergency resulting from any condition known to exist before the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter