Help deleting MyPoints software please?

Dancemom03

Flexican wannabe
I downloaded a my points offer in december that put the my points toolbar and spyware of some sort into my computer. At the time, it seemed like a great idea to easily earn points for my (way too often) ebay impulse buys.

The problem is now my computer clicks over and asks me to log into my points nearly every time I do a search - on ebay or even thru yahoo/google. I am so frustartaed at this point that I could scream. :surfweb:

I can't figure out what it's called in my computer's programs list so I can't delete it. It's a sneaky little thing too. It doesn't appear visible in my program list from what I can see so I can't find an uninstall option.

I managed to hide the toolbar long ago so that doesn't bother me anymore but I really hate trying to handle ebay sales when every time I try to invoice something I get automatically redirected to my points. For example, just now I tried four times to file for listing fees back on an item sold but unpaid since before Christmas. I can't even get to the page because it takes me back to the my points log in page instead of the ebay link I'm clicking.

Maybe it's my computer... Does anybody else have this problem? Do you know how I'd find it to remove the program and resume life as it used to be?
It's got to be called something but with my luck I'll remove something important by accident and it'll still be there nagging me to log into my points when I just want to read the DIS.

I am not sure if this will help this problem but go to your start button, then push the control panel button. After this there should be a button for add or remove of programs. Look for the one you want and click the change/remove button. I have done this to a few tool bars I didn't want.

Mypoints makes me so angry!!! Did you know that even if you have the toolbar hidden, if you click on the links of any other website (DIS, rewards programs, etc), Mypoints still gets paid for it? They were not supposed to be allowing people to download that toolbar. That's why ebates got rid of theirs. It's a huge issue in the affiliate marketing industry that gives Rewards Programs a black eye and makes merchants not want to work with us, which hurts our members.

I wish I could help. :( I put out the bat signal to some of my friends who do presentations on this kind of thing.

If you know how to get the DOS screen you can Delete mypoints*.* at the c:/ prompt. But how you get to the DOS depends on what OS you are using. I would do a search from the start button, search for all files and folders with mypoints in them and then delete all of them.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I tried the add/remove programs from the control panel first but it must be coded or something because I just don't see anything with my points on it at all. I think it's likely named something else, so I'm afraid I'll remove the wrong program by accident if I click without knowing what it's called.

I'm starting to think that they're quite sneaky, those little internet devils - it's just so irritating to be redirected with every other click from other websites back to my points. When I click the back button 4 times and click a link in an ebay auction again and again, you'd think it'd go to where it's supposed to - or I'd at least stay on the same darned site! I'd phone them or do the contact us for help thing but at this point I'm so frustrated that I refuse to even log in right now.

Maybe I'll just log in soon though, cash out completely and try something new. My points is the only rewards program we've ever used. It used to pay for the gas when we drove from MD to WDW but lately we've been flying anyway so perhaps it isn't worth the aggravation any more anyway...

Don't give up yet! Go under "START" and then "SEARCH" and look for anything MyPoints. Before deleting you can see what each item is. If it is a cookie, program, etc. You should be able to go from there. Also, what browser are you using? I have IE7 and I just checked something. Go to tools, internet options, programs. Now look and see what the web browser is set at. See if you can change it back to IE6 or whatever you were using. Let us know what works or doesn't work! Mine says the default browser is IE7.

Thanks! I was wondering about this, too. It's so hard to get rid of this stuff sometimes. It was easier to get rid of that Weather Channel thing.

This is what the mypoints site says to do:

Q6. How do I uninstall the MyPoints Toolbar?

A6. The Toolbar is easy and safe to uninstall from your computer. To uninstall, go to your Windows Start menu (in the lower left of your monitor) then Control Panel and Add or Remove Programs. From the list of currently installed programs, click MyPoints Visual Search, then click Remove. If you also chose to install the Snap Search Assistant, this must be removed separately - look for "Snap Search Assistant" in the Programs list.

Looks like you may also want to do a search for the "snap search assistant". Maybe that's where it's hiding. Good luck. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter