Hello - 1st of many questions no doubt!

Karyn.Phil

Earning My Ears
Hello

This is my first posting on what looks like a very friendly and helpful board.

My partner and I and our two daughters are staying in Orlando 8-22nd June. We have both been before but the children have never been. We are staying at the Wyndham Palms resort in a condo (any comments re property, location, ammenities etc??) And on the 18th June we are going down to Clearwater to be married on Sand Key beach :D

My daughter is 13 and is currently too cool to even speak to me (only agreed to attend the wedding if there was no yucky kissing!) and isn't remotely excited! Sort of like Kevin the teenager but less spots and more hair. Any tips on Orlando with two teenagers, (partners daughter is 14)? Cool places too go that are not too "kiddy" for them etc.

Also anyone who has been married in Florida or knows Sand Key park we would love to hear from you. We are staying at the Belleview BIltmore when we are in Clearwater.

I am also getting seriously addicted to these boards. They're wonderful for info and make you feel so close to the place you are going because everyone knows it so well

Look forward to hearing from you.

Luv

Karen

:) :)

Hello, and welcome to the boards :wave:

Wow! What an exciting trip you have planned :)

I can't help with the Wyndham Palms, or the getting married bit, but there are others here who will know about both! I'm sure someone will help out soon. In the meantime, fire away with any other questions we might be able to help you with.

There seem to be a lot of posters from south Wales on the boards lately - I'll give you a wave next time we're heading your way ;)

Hello Karen

Welcome to the Dis :D :wave:

Wow sounds like you are going to have a great time. Sorry can't help with Wyndham Palm's or Sand Key Park - not a lot of use really. But I did get married in Disney's Polynesian Resort in November 2000. Are you travelling with a Tour Operator who is arranging your wedding or DIYing it ? Are you taking your dress out with you? I would love to hear all of your plan's.

I am sure the Daughter's won't find Florida too 'uncool' for them. They will probably enjoy USF & IOA too.

I hope you enjoy this board :D

Kaylee

Hi Karen! :wave: What lovely comments - you are definitely very welcome here!

I haven't stayed at Wyndham Palms, but I think I'm right in saying that both kazzie and lisag (regular posters here) are booked up there for this year. No doubt they will be along soon. As you probably know it is a new community and, from what I've seen, looks fabulous. Click here for details of facilities and a photo tour. The location is <i>excellent</i> - one of the closest communities to WDW. Do you know about the Sherberth Road shortcut? Apologies to everyone else who is probably sick of hearing about it, but we think it's great and we wouldn't have known about it without these boards.

A DIS wedding! How exciting! Well I already have to fit in Hilary's Silver Wedding Anniversary bash at WDW in 2004, but I'm sure I could have my arm twisted! ;) Seriously, though you must be sooooo excited!

My daughter is 13 and is currently too cool to even speak to me (only agreed to attend the wedding if there was no yucky kissing!) and isn't remotely excited! Sort of like Kevin the teenager but less spots and more hair.

LOL! We have two teenage daughters (17 & 14). The bad news is, it isn't getting any better :( I'll ask them about their favourite places. I know there are a couple of teens discos (at Downtown Disney and CityWalk), but my two turned their noses up. Obviously describing them as 'teens' discos is where I went wrong. Had I said debauched hell houses, they'd probably have shown more interest :rolleyes: We allow ours .... no, sorry, I should say <i>force</i> ours .... to go around the parks on their own.

It can be difficult when they are that age to let them have the freedom they think is their right :rolleyes: while you still feel they are reasonably safe. Around the parks you would probably be better to give them the occassional break, letting them go off and do things that you may not feel like. I found it best to let them have a couple of hours now and then so they feel a bit more "adult". I found giving them a time and a meeting point, restaurants or drink places are a good choice for this because either party can be 10-15 minutes late and it isn't too much of a hardship if those waiting are grabbing a drink and a rest.

IOA is probably the most "teen" of all the parks , although my daughter and her friend enjoyed exploring SeaWorld together.

For an evening out, the House of Blues often has "teen night" which you may feel you let them out to my daughter enjoyed this ( although there were the turned up noses at the idea) , while you could enjoy a meal, Cirque or PI. While DTD did get some bad press with a carjacking last week, in general Disney is pretty safe and I think it unlikely there are going to be any recurrance of that problem as Disney has bumped up security.

The waterparks are likely to be popular as you can set up a basecamp and let them go off together ( you might occassionally be allowed to join in if numbers ( family raft ride) are needed LOL.

Hello Karen
Welcome to the Dis Boards
I'm new here myself so can't help you with any of your questions.
But everyone here is very friendly

:pinkbounc :pinkbounc

Hi
I dont know anything about the hotel in Clearwater you're staying in but a few years ago we spent a wonderful week in the Sheraton Sand Key right on Sand Key beach. This is adjacent to the public park. Its a perfect beach, sand like sugar, warm blue sea. You'll love it.
Bridda

Hi Karen, welcome!

My DD was 13, nearly 14 when we last went in December, and like your is way too cool for anything!!!:rolleyes: She did love Disney Quest, where there are masses of things to do for teens. She likes the malls too of course, for all the cool shops to buy trainers, ridiculous jeans etc;) Her favourite park is Universal, although as Deb says, she also loved SW.

She loved going to the cinema in DTD and to the Virgin mega store. At least there will be 2 teens, its harder when there's just one to keep happy!!!!;)

Congratulations and Best wished on your wedding, I bet it'll be wonderful!

Hi Karyn :wave:

I dont have any help at all in regard to your queries, but I did want to give you a big warm welcome to the Dis! Hope you visit us often and join in all the threads. Anything you want to know ---- just fire away :)

~~*~~Welcome to the Dis Karyn!~~*~~

Welcome to the UK DIS Karen :) :) :)

Teens of that age love the Universal parks and when you are in Clearwater you can visit Busch Gardens ....... I find that my sons ( particularly the one that has to be 'cool') totally forget themselves out there. I just leave it to them to pick up the atmosphere and they always do - they don't have to worry about their peers out there, and when they look around there are so many teenagers just having a great time, so hopefuly yours will do the same. ( Just pretend you aren't noticing that they are letting their hair down!!)

It's great having another UK DIS wedding :) :) :) I remember Kaylees and then we had Dave's!! Look forward to hearing more about your plans :)

Hello,

I'm new here too and I can't really help with your question. But I would like to thank the DIS boards for all the info I have got so far. I am off to the BC in December to celebrate my best friends 30th B-day. I've had lots of time on my hand(!) Since I broke a bone near my elbow in my right arm. (and I'm right handed!!:rolleyes: )

Hope you get all the info you need.

Jane

Hi
and welcome. Just one word re teenagers....SHOPPING!!
On first trip DD was 12 and happy to be a little girl. On second trip she was 16
going on 24! She brought a friend with her, which helped!
She is now 19 and when I asked her what she liked best she said (in no particular
order)
"Virgin at Downtown Disney, Typhoon Lagoon, Islands of Adventure, Animal Kingdom
and of course SHOPPING" She then said can I borrow £10 , but that's another story!!:smooth: :earsgirl: :wave:

Hi Karen,
I have 3 teens,so you have my sympathy;)

I don't have anythink to add to what teens like to do.I just wanted to say I'm really looking forward to hearing about your stay at Wyndham Palm resort as Deb said I'm staying there in October:D

Getting married at Clearwater sounds wonderful:pinkbounc

That's some great advice for Orlando. Out at Clearwater, look to do a boatride called The Screamer which is guaranteed to be 'grown-up' enough for any teenager, while there is also a great yacht tour of the intracoastal waterway from St Pete's Beach marina where you are guaranteed to see dolphins at close quarters.

Thanks all!

Great replies and really useful. We got our Universal Studios planning video today and whilst the acting was real yucky it did manage to evoke more of a response in ultra cool daughter than the Disney video did. She conceded that CityWalk looked good.

The boat trip down at St Pete's looks excellent. I had been toying with the idea of Discovery Cove but I don't think I can afford it with the wedding and everything. So this would be a great way to see dolphins.

<considers sending begging e.mail to rich Daddy pointing out only daughter/marriage costs scenario>

BTW this board is so cool at saving money...already saved loads on family insurance with Go Sure. Excellent rates.

Many thanks

Karen

p.s. I am now totally addicted to trip reports :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter