Heat...am I overdoing it?

This episode of the DIS Unplugged Off the Rails gives a lot of good advice about dealing with Disney weather and especially the heat.

My DW, and teenage twins DD and DS 15 went the third week of August last year. We saw plenty of people with those around the neck fans and they certainly looked VERY good as we waited in outdoor lines. However, we are planning to go the same week again this year and won't be packing them. However, we DEFINITELY used:
-UV umbrellas (we found really tiny pop-up black ones on Amazon)
-Cooling towels (we already had these from various sports)

As others have said, 4 umbrellas might be too many but I think having a minimum of 4 cooling towels is essential. I wet the towels, put them in a ziploc, and then threw them in my backpack. We also didn't take too many breaks at the hotel (once we went back for like an hour) even though we stayed at the Swan which is in a pretty ideal location for a mid-day break. The towels and umbrellas were really important to us.

As far as shoes, I'd stay away from sandals. WDW is all about walking and you want to have the best shoes possible. It's also a good idea to pack extra socks in a back pack just in case you get caught in the rain or soaked on Splash Mtn or Kali River Rapids. Speaking of rain, bring rain gear. Anytime of year is good for an afternoon shower or T-Storm but August amps up the likelihood as its hurricane season.

This episode of the DIS Unplugged Off the Rails gives a lot of good advice about dealing with Disney weather and especially the heat.

My DW, and teenage twins DD and DS 15 went the third week of August last year. We saw plenty of people with those around the neck fans and they certainly looked VERY good as we waited in outdoor lines. However, we are planning to go the same week again this year and won't be packing them. However, we DEFINITELY used:
-UV umbrellas (we found really tiny pop-up black ones on Amazon)
-Cooling towels (we already had these from various sports)

As others have said, 4 umbrellas might be too many but I think having a minimum of 4 cooling towels is essential. I wet the towels, put them in a ziploc, and then threw them in my backpack. We also didn't take too many breaks at the hotel (once we went back for like an hour) even though we stayed at the Swan which is in a pretty ideal location for a mid-day break. The towels and umbrellas were really important to us.

As far as shoes, I'd stay away from sandals. WDW is all about walking and you want to have the best shoes possible. It's also a good idea to pack extra socks in a back pack just in case you get caught in the rain or soaked on Splash Mtn or Kali River Rapids. Speaking of rain, bring rain gear. Anytime of year is good for an afternoon shower or T-Storm but August amps up the likelihood as its hurricane season.
Thanks. Yeah, going with 2 UV umbrellas, and we each have a cooling towel....and fans. The two fans for our kids are quite compact (arrived today), and so the other two (coming tomorrow) must be tiny. At least we'll have them with us and can decide if they stay in the hotel or come with us to the park.

For shoes...everyone is different. I have toe issues...and can only wear my Teva sandals. Haven't been able to wear runners in years and only have a pair of crocs that also work (more soft clog style vs swimming croc). Kids will have both and can decide which they wear (or will switch each day). Thanks for the tip about extra socks (if they wear runners to the park)

I haven't visited Disney world in August but just got back from a trip (flew down July 1, flew back July 4). We (2 adults, one 6 year old) live in Toronto and the weather here was pretty hot as we were leaving, it was hotter but didn't feel significantly worse in Florida. We brought two cooling towels with us, didn't end up using them. No fans, no misting, no electrolytes. Just be smart about when you're out in the sun and for how long, and drink lots of water. Drink even when you aren't thirsty. And apply loads of sunscreen. We did see people with fans, it doesn't hurt to have them of course!

I saw your earlier post that you plan to stay in the parks all day, plan for your shows/food breaks/indoor rides around the hottest part of the day. If you don't mind rain, you can keep going on rides during the inevitable daily shower. (Just be aware some rides close down/aren't as fun... I did not enjoy Dumbo while it was raining since I was sitting in a puddle.) And be flexible about your plan. I know it seems silly to pay 7-10k to go swimming, but paying 7-10k to be miserable in the heat or to have heatstroke is even worse.

I know it seems silly to pay 7-10k to go swimming, but paying 7-10k to be miserable in the heat or to have heatstroke is even worse.
To be fair swimming requires being out in the sun and the water and in all honesty you can forget to hydrate just as easily. I'm not sure how it is for other people but I find those kinds of days just as exhausting as I would park days because I'm out in the sun and heat.

Now some people (young kids especially) enjoy swim days but as a reason to be out of the heat? It's not. At least at the parks you can easily go inside somewhere for a while, take a break getting food without having to go back to your resort, swap out your clothes, swim, shower, then change back. I'm usually ready for bed after swimming long enough and sitting on a lounge chair makes me sleepy.

The suggestion for swim days is one I've given in the past although that's usually for very young kids because you often find the 5 year old is just as happy there as the parks. But that's not the OP's situation. I wouldn't suggest swim days as a means of preventing tiredness that day or getting out of the heat or preventing heat stroke but if it's needed as a rest day for your feet that would be good, just know that you may end up tired and sunburnt and your body not liking the environment regardless.

Thanks. Yeah, going with 2 UV umbrellas, and we each have a cooling towel....and fans. The two fans for our kids are quite compact (arrived today), and so the other two (coming tomorrow) must be tiny. At least we'll have them with us and can decide if they stay in the hotel or come with us to the park.

For shoes...everyone is different. I have toe issues...and can only wear my Teva sandals. Haven't been able to wear runners in years and only have a pair of crocs that also work (more soft clog style vs swimming croc). Kids will have both and can decide which they wear (or will switch each day). Thanks for the tip about extra socks (if they wear runners to the park)

My Skecher's Go Walk sandals are my go-to Disney shoes and they are glorious. I do not understand how people can wear sneakers and socks in that heat. We live close and go year-round and man, am I sad when the temp drops and it's too cold to wear them.

They feel like walking on clouds, no-slip if it rains, didn't need any breaking in, and I don't have to worry about soggy socks!

You'll see all sorts of footwear in the parks (everything from cheap flipflops to heels!). Wear the shoes that are the most comfortable for you :)

My Skecher's Go Walk sandals are my go-to Disney shoes and they are glorious. I do not understand how people can wear sneakers and socks in that heat. We live close and go year-round and man, am I sad when the temp drops and it's too cold to wear them.

They feel like walking on clouds, no-slip if it rains, didn't need any breaking in, and I don't have to worry about soggy socks!

You'll see all sorts of footwear in the parks (everything from cheap flipflops to heels!). Wear the shoes that are the most comfortable for you :)
It's not like sneakers are made out of rubber or are like work boots. Most have breathable fabric now. I spent years working in a hot bakery with sneakers on. Walking around WDW, going from one air conditioned ride to another has nothing on working in a hot kitchen. Plus I rather have some protection from all of the other people.

It's not like sneakers are made out of rubber or are like work boots. Most have breathable fabric now. I spent years working in a hot bakery with sneakers on. Walking around WDW, going from one air conditioned ride to another has nothing on working in a hot kitchen. Plus I rather have some protection from all of the other people.

I've worn numerous brands, many many times - and have to wear them on cold days when my feet are freezing! We visit the park 100+ times a year and they don't work for me, especially in the rainy summer days, but I am glad it works for you. Choices make the world go round.

I've worn numerous brands, many many times - and have to wear them on cold days when my feet are freezing! We visit the park 100+ times a year and they don't work for me, especially in the rainy summer days, but I am glad it works for you. Choices make the world go round.
I am glad that you found something that works for you. I was just stating that sneakers are not really has hot as one might think.

I agree!! I'm one of the "cheap" flipflop wearers. It's crazy but I live in them at home. I wear them to our mailbox in winter even in the snow. It drives my husband crazy. I did start buying croc flops and love them.
To answer the question I would never tell anyone what to take but in my opinion it's just as easy to cool off in restaurants, rides, and the dozens of shows at WDW. The less we haul around the better for our family. Have a great trip.

I go every summer with small children. We don’t bring umbrellas or fans or cooling towels or special drinks. A hat, sunscreen, and water has always worked fine for us. We don’t spend a lot of time outside in the heat of the day. The attractions are largely air conditioned and the stores and restaurants are all air conditioned, so really we are only out in the sun walking from place to place. Any attractions that are outdoors we do either early in the morning or in the evening. Is it hot? Absolutely. But we’ve always been fine. You won’t want to carry a bunch of stuff everywhere.
This. Granted we were local, so used to the weather, but I grew up going to the parks in all kinds of weather with family/friends and absolutely no special gear. I don't personally love being hot, so I don't go during the summer anymore. But we all survived just fine, even when we did stupid teenage things like not taking a hat and wearing all black in August (goth phase).

On the contrary, when I wear flip flops or sandals at Disney in the summer, all I feel is the skin on my feet baking in the sun and from the radiant heat off the pavement. For me, running shoes (which are mostly mesh) and running socks that wick moisture keep my feet cooler and drier than sandals. When I wear open shoes in hot weather, my feet sweat and slide around and I get blisters.

On the contrary, when I wear flip flops or sandals at Disney in the summer, all I feel is the skin on my feet baking in the sun and from the radiant heat off the pavement. For me, running shoes (which are mostly mesh) and running socks that wick moisture keep my feet cooler and drier than sandals. When I wear open shoes in hot weather, my feet sweat and slide around and I get blisters.
My husband would agree with you! When we first started going he was the man walking around in high socks, sneakers, and shorts. (in the eighties wick moisture socks were usually knee high length) His look was completed with his fanny bag. We get a laugh when looking through the old pictures.

DS and I are all set (we went with good walking sandals with support despite some who think they aren't the best thing). Main concern there is to make sure we apply enough sunscreen and often.
DD only has one pair of shoes...and they are not the best "running" shoes (converse or something like that). So I do want her to have a second pair of shoes as an alternative. Need to see what works for her, and want to go soon so she has time to wear them in (going end of August).

PS - And I just ordered myself a new fanny bag. Not super stylish....lol....but honestly, very practical. It has 4 pockets so can separate liquids (sunscreen, sanitizer) from phone, and other stuff.

DS and I are all set (we went with good walking sandals with support despite some who think they aren't the best thing). Main concern there is to make sure we apply enough sunscreen and often.
DD only has one pair of shoes...and they are not the best "running" shoes (converse or something like that). So I do want her to have a second pair of shoes as an alternative. Need to see what works for her, and want to go soon so she has time to wear them in (going end of August).

PS - And I just ordered myself a new fanny bag. Not super stylish....lol....but honestly, very practical. It has 4 pockets so can separate liquids (sunscreen, sanitizer) from phone, and other stuff.
He still loves his fanny pack..and it is very convenient. I'm just glad he now wears low socks. Have a great trip

The small O2Cool fans are pretty low power but very compact and easy to clip on. I usually flip the battery and the cover is just a slide in type (also put some tape so when it inevitably falls the cover doesn’t break). You can always pack them in a plastic container but they are very durable. Our teen always wants to have one on hand and they pass time misting each other in the queues. Many of the queues are outdoors and it gets hot waiting for fireworks/parades. Teens usually want to re-ride their favorites (eg RnRC and Big Thunder) and those queues are brutal.

If you don’t want to carry a fan, there are misting fans in the parks for sale but they are huge and now $25-30 each. I like the hands free aspect of the neck fans.

https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Licen...ocphy=9021702&hvtargid=pla-306862058065&psc=1

Weather can be unpredictable. We were there last June when the forecast was upper 80s. The actual temp went up to 95 (with a feel of over 100). In Nov it dropped down so low (unpredictably) that we had to buy a travel blanket at Epcot. CMs at the Creations Shop (formerly MouseGears) didn’t know where the blankets were and kept pointing us to full size blankets in the bedding section. We went to the Star Wars section and I found a really cute baby yoda blanket

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2020...tes-adorbs-baby-yoda-blanket-from-disneyland/

We always have some disposable ponchos on hand (one drawstring bag with them and travel size sunscreen/wipes in case family wants to split). We also carry some good quality zip up ponchos for downpours.
what kind of zip up ponchos do you like?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter