Hawaii 2020

Resort business is tricky - and resembles more the cruises. The opportunity cost of a weekend's or a week's occupancy is huge - vs a regular hotel where travellers stay for just a night or two. So, you manage it through pricing - which gives you occupancy but much less revenue. For example, you can book s standard Aulani room in April for $680/night vs the same room in March or December goes for $980/night. If Wonder is going to provide triple your capacity in potential occupancy, the rooms will go for the December rates - and not what you see typically in April.

Agreed - you will have the courtesy holds come off pretty soon. You will also see over time a gradual shift in bookings from Hawaii to those over the March breaks.

That said, I would love for these two itineraries to sell well. Should move DCL to offer Hawaii in other months that are more convenient for families.

Same here, I do hope these Hawaii sailings sell really well so that DCL hopefully adds more and of greater variety too.

I don't how it works between DVC and DCL with inventory. What we've typically done if planning to use points, is book and hold the room with a cash deposit for a good while directly thru DCL, then flip that cabin over to DVC at a date closer to sail. Especially if we plan to use pts for only 1 guest and cash for the other, since you have to pay that full cash price up front for anyone not on points when you book with DVC.
How does this work? I thought if you book through DVC they act as TA so any transfer should be done before 30 days after booking?

How does this work? I thought if you book through DVC they act as TA so any transfer should be done before 30 days after booking?

I am not aware of any 30 day policy with transferring your stateroom in booking with the Vacation Club but it's been a while since I moved a cruise from DCL to DVC. They do put us on hold to check with the DCL before proceeding though so there must be an inventory issue even with an existing reservation.

I just checked and I see the 9-day, but not the 10-day. When I click on the 9-day, I see a price for an Inside Stateroom, but when I select it, it says, "No staterooms available."

I just checked and I see the 9-day, but not the 10-day. When I click on the 9-day, I see a price for an Inside Stateroom, but when I select it, it says, "No staterooms available."
I’ve had the same issue. The 10 night cruise never even showed for me!

Seriously? I was expecting these cruises to go fast but not this fast! Not even open to the public and gone already.
To those waiting though, I do think that things will open up starting tomorrow when some of these holds expire....

Just saw a deluxe oceanview GTY for $5168 (2A) pop up for the 10 day and quickly put it in on a 3 day hold. Hopefully tomorrow brings better availability / options but if not at least we get on the ship. More than we wanted to spend but oh well.

There is a pent-up demand for these two itineraries, but it will fizzle out. You are realistically taking the kids out of school for at least two weeks - maybe more.

But if it sells well - that's awesome.

I think DCL really wants it to be a success. Aulani has only 359 rooms vs 875 Wonder suites, so you can expect the resort to be overrun. An average premium of, say, $300 per room night for an average of 4 nights will provide Disney nearly a $450K Aulani revenue boost per week (rough math). Add to it the lower operating costs of the ship itself sailing for 4 or 5 days without a port - and it makes a lot of sense.

This "trial" might just be the prelude to (nearly) a full-time ship on the west coast once the new ships arrive.
And the Disney Vacation Club timeshares will sell like crazy on this cruise!!!

Yes! We always rent a car when we visit an island. The only hesitation I might have is if you are going to stay at Aulani - they charge a fair bit to park a car and rentals can be expensive to start with. For the premium at the resort and with only a couple days you'd have to weigh the pro/con there. Anywhere else though? YES, even with parking logistics and traffic in/around Waikiki.
Thanks! We might end up staying at a different hotel. I feel like it'll be hard getting a room when everyone from the ship is probably thinking the same thing. Is that the island with Pearl Harbor? I definitely want to go there. I also want to go to the area where Jurassic Park was filmed lol.

Yes they should but how are you going to get to the airport. Time you pay the Disney shuttle than Uber or taxi you could of rented a car. The store at aulani is very expensive I thin it was 3.95 for a quart of milk. I have a picture of it but I’m on lunch now and have to get back to work soon.update just looked at the picture it’s 4.95 for a quart of milk.
Yes that is pretty standard for groceries in Hawaii, my home state!

Yes! We always rent a car when we visit an island. The only hesitation I might have is if you are going to stay at Aulani - they charge a fair bit to park a car and rentals can be expensive to start with. For the premium at the resort and with only a couple days you'd have to weigh the pro/con there. Anywhere else though? YES, even with parking logistics and traffic in/around Waikiki.

That's the conclusion I ended up drawing from my research. It will make sense for us to rent cars on our other island days during our planned 2020 trip but to just make the Aulani portion entirely resort-based.

Do the holds for Platinum expire by tomorrow or Friday? What time? I got a GTY Oceanview with two windows. I really want one window so I am hoping to be able to switch.

Ok so how does a placeholder expire? If someone booked it but didnt put down the deposit??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter