Having a "Me Party" - A solo trip dining review! Update 9/10

Wedding Lunch Buffet

They also had a really cute drink station set up - there was lemonade, sweet tea, and regular iced tea. Then you could add various fruits and different types of sugar (for the unsweetened tea). It was a very cute and fun idea!

I think most of this looks amazing and I'm SO impressed with the Disney Wedding inside peek. I've always wanted to see one! Looks like your friends had lots of cool details and I hate to bring this up and maybe it just bothers me or naybe it's because I'm planning my own daughter's wedding right now and I'm into details, but it seems to me that with the cost of a Disney wedding I wish they would have pressed the table cloth for this.

That cake looks luscious! :cake:

AuroraMeansDawn is quite right that they should have ironed the tablecloth, but those aren't the kind of details I'm likely to notice the day of. The food and what Daisy and Donald are wearing, now that, I'd notice! :upsidedow So I guess the details Disney gets right are the ones I'm more attuned to or something. Although I'd grumble about that tablecloth every time we looked at the pictures over the years! :rotfl:

Oh WOW what an incredible wedding buffet. The cake looks delicious.

I've never seen Donald and Daisy at a wedding reception before, I loved their outfits. I actually think they look like better guests that Mickey and Minnie!

I'm sure Mickey and Minnie would be fun too, but I thought Donald and Daisy have that more fun loving spirit to them! Donald in particular was hilarious!

Great review!! love the pictures from the wedding, everything looked amazing.

Thanks!

I think most of this looks amazing and I'm SO impressed with the Disney Wedding inside peek. I've always wanted to see one! Looks like your friends had lots of cool details and I hate to bring this up and maybe it just bothers me or naybe it's because I'm planning my own daughter's wedding right now and I'm into details, but it seems to me that with the cost of a Disney wedding I wish they would have pressed the table cloth for this.

I totally agree with you. I post often on the weddings boards and this is a common complaint I've heard. Apparently you can pay extra to have them steamed or something... I mean, really?? Sometimes reading those threads makes me glad I didn't have a Disney wedding, because they charge for every little thing. It's crazy!

That cake looks luscious! :cake:

AuroraMeansDawn is quite right that they should have ironed the tablecloth, but those aren't the kind of details I'm likely to notice the day of. The food and what Daisy and Donald are wearing, now that, I'd notice! :upsidedow So I guess the details Disney gets right are the ones I'm more attuned to or something. Although I'd grumble about that tablecloth every time we looked at the pictures over the years! :rotfl:

I do agree with you too - I didn't even notice the tablecloths until AuroraMeansDawn pointed it out. Still something that Disney should definitely do though!

Fantasmic Dessert Party

At 7:00 I arrived at Hollywood Studios for the Fantasmic dessert party they had planned for the wedding. Unfortunately a few hours earlier they decided to move the dessert portion inside, so we had to go to a back up location (we would still be led to the private viewing area for the show though).

So we started walking... in the opposite direction of Fantasmic. We were pretty much at the other end of the park, at "Hollywood Hideaway." I won't get into all of the details of the dessert party here other than the food (you can check out my TR if you're interested in that!).

So at the dessert party they had fruit, cake pops, Mickey pretzels, and assorted ice cream bars. I thought it was a great selection!

To start with, the fruit - it looked great, until someone noticed the strawberries were moldy. Disney quickly brought out a new tray but it still seemed pretty unprofessional for Disney, especially for a wedding. The new fruit was very good though.

The Mickey pretzels were your standard Mickey pretzels - delicious as always! I was also glad to have one since this was counting as my dinner for tonight, so I was happy to see something a little more filling and less sweet.

As for the ice creams, they had Mickey bars, ice cream sandwiches, and fruit pops. I went with an ice cream sandwich and it was very good!

But the highlight of the dessert party was definitely the cake pops. They were designed to look like the sorcerers hat with ears, and they came out amazing! They were very sweet (lots of chocolate/cake/frosting in there!), so I would not have eaten more than one, but they were so good. They had vanilla and chocolate cake inside, depending on which one you got.

As for drinks, there were water coolers and sodas and available. They also had alcohol available as a cash bar, and I think it was basically wine and beer. I just stuck with soda.

After the desserts we were led to the private viewing area at the other end of the park for Fantasmic. It's way in the back, but it was cool to have our own area and I enjoyed the show surrounded by our group in our own little spot!

Hey girl-- I am obviously in! Love your reviews!

The luncheon food looks delicious, especially the steak. I love that they had a bunch of different sauces!

And those cake pops are too adorable!! Glad they were yummy, too!

Joining in!

How fun to see the wedding reception food! Everything looked tasty, and the cake was beautiful. :wizard:

Those cake pops were so adorable!

Loving your dining review and subbing in!

Thanks, and welcome!

Those cake pops are sooooo cute! :)

I know, they came out so good!

Hey girl-- I am obviously in! Love your reviews!

The luncheon food looks delicious, especially the steak. I love that they had a bunch of different sauces!

And those cake pops are too adorable!! Glad they were yummy, too!

Yay, glad to have you aboard! I thought the different sauces on the side was a great way to provide a dish that would appeal to lots of people! If there was only one sauce already on the steak and you didn't like it, that would be out... so this was a really good way to do it!

Joining in!

How fun to see the wedding reception food! Everything looked tasty, and the cake was beautiful. :wizard:

Those cake pops were so adorable!

Thanks, glad to have you along!

Wow, those cake pops are super cute. I want to get married again (to DH obviously) just so I can have a Disney reception :thumbsup2

Cape May Cafe

After spending a few hours in the Magic Kingdom, I headed over to Beach Club for "breakfast." It was 11:00 so I was really treating it like a brunch. The wedding party had organized this as a "farewell breakfast," so anyone that attended the wedding was welcome to attend, and pay their own way. We had about 10 people there.

Cape May Cafe is a buffet, and they had a wide variety of breakfast foods. Pretty much all of your typical stuff - scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, pastries, fruit, etc. There were a few other things, such as smoked salmon as well.

Here's my plate:

I had some fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, a biscuit, and a blueberry pastry. All of it was very good. Even though we were at the end of the breakfast hour the food was all hot and fresh. I'm not usually a big breakfast eater but since this was also going to count as my lunch, I had a lot. Very enjoyable!

I also went back to get a waffle, which considering the way I topped it I counted as dessert ;)

They had a lot of waffle toppings, but I went with strawberries, whipped cream, and chocolate chips. Absolutely delicious! Can't beat this sort of waffle! ;)

Cafe May is also a character breakfast, so we got to meet Minnie, Goofy, and Donald in their beach wear.

Another nice touch from the staff at Cape May was that they noticed my friends' Just Married buttons and brought them out a cupcake!

Overall I give Cape May an 8.5 out of 10. While it doesn't have anything super special or out of the ordinary, it does your typical breakfast buffet very well. I'm really picky when it comes to breakfast since I'm not a huge breakfast person, but I'd say this is probably my favorite breakfast I've had at Disney, rivaling only 1900 Park Fare (though I like the characters at 1900 better, to be honest!). I would definitely recommend eating here!

I also usually keep a running total of how much money I've saved using Tables in Wonderland. For this meal the groom's parents were nice enough to offer to pay for us, so I didn't use my card here and don't know exactly how much was saved. I think the cost per person was around $30, so the TiW would probably be around $6.

I've never really been tempted by a Disney wedding for various reasons, but now I'm really liking the idea of having a wedding reception there. We got married in Michigan while living in Colorado so had a second reception after we got home, while my mom had a private wedding and then a public reception a few weeks later, so I guess I'm already conditioned to think that the reception doesn't have a to be on the wedding day. ;)

Not a frosting fan so don't like cake pops, although I have to admit they're adorable. But I want to know -- is the "hat" part edible paper, or do you peel it off?

Cape May looks to be more mellow than most character breakfasts. Or maybe it's just that I usually see pics of Chef Mickey's or the Crystal Palace. We're hoping to get to WDW in January 2015 -- my original plan for 2015 was to just do the resorts but we promised youngest a trip to Animal Kingdom so I'm not sure. The last time we were out, I only got to a couple of resorts and pretty much all I got done at Downtown Disney was the boat ride. Which is my favorite part, admittedly, but not all I wanted to do! I had a great time in the parks but missed doing the resorts.

So I may just send youngest daughter with hubby on a one day ticket, which they'll both be fine with. If I get a ticket for myself, I'd have to go at least three days, because I dunno how they can stand doing the Animal Kingdom without doing HS, Epcot and the MK! I guess I'm more of an "all or nothing" person. :p

I have wandered. What got me started is that I seem to be in a buffet mood for my next trip, and now I'm tempted by the Cape May breakfast. The only breakfast buffet I have on it right now is the Wave, at the Contemporary, because middle daughter likes her buffets with desserts, but maybe I can sell her on the idea of breakfast buffets with a picture of that strawberry chocolate whipped cream waffle. :teeth:

That waffle looks so good!

It was! Even though I might have gone a little overboard on the toppings lol!

I've never really been tempted by a Disney wedding for various reasons, but now I'm really liking the idea of having a wedding reception there. We got married in Michigan while living in Colorado so had a second reception after we got home, while my mom had a private wedding and then a public reception a few weeks later, so I guess I'm already conditioned to think that the reception doesn't have a to be on the wedding day. ;)

Not a frosting fan so don't like cake pops, although I have to admit they're adorable. But I want to know -- is the "hat" part edible paper, or do you peel it off?

Cape May looks to be more mellow than most character breakfasts. Or maybe it's just that I usually see pics of Chef Mickey's or the Crystal Palace. We're hoping to get to WDW in January 2015 -- my original plan for 2015 was to just do the resorts but we promised youngest a trip to Animal Kingdom so I'm not sure. The last time we were out, I only got to a couple of resorts and pretty much all I got done at Downtown Disney was the boat ride. Which is my favorite part, admittedly, but not all I wanted to do! I had a great time in the parks but missed doing the resorts.

So I may just send youngest daughter with hubby on a one day ticket, which they'll both be fine with. If I get a ticket for myself, I'd have to go at least three days, because I dunno how they can stand doing the Animal Kingdom without doing HS, Epcot and the MK! I guess I'm more of an "all or nothing" person. :p

I have wandered. What got me started is that I seem to be in a buffet mood for my next trip, and now I'm tempted by the Cape May breakfast. The only breakfast buffet I have on it right now is the Wave, at the Contemporary, because middle daughter likes her buffets with desserts, but maybe I can sell her on the idea of breakfast buffets with a picture of that strawberry chocolate whipped cream waffle. :teeth:

The hat part of the cake pop was edible, I believe it was white chocolate.

Cape May definitely felt more mellow, but that may have also been because it was later in the day and so it wasn't super crowded. We were definitely the end of the breakfast hour! I would definitely try it, I think it had a pretty good variety too so there's something for everyone -especially the sweet tooth with the waffle bar! ;)

I also know what you mean about not being able to do just one day. It would be really hard for me too! My next trip we're just planning to do Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, so that will definitely feel weird. They're my two favorites though, so if I only get to do two at least it's those two!

Enjoyed the Cape May update! Everything looked very good. We are doing this for the first time on our upcoming trip (had it booked last time but canceled). I am not a huge breakfast fan, but my DD has never met a breakfast buffet she didn't love! :thumbsup2

Enjoyed the Cape May update! Everything looked very good. We are doing this for the first time on our upcoming trip (had it booked last time but canceled). I am not a huge breakfast fan, but my DD has never met a breakfast buffet she didn't love! :thumbsup2

I think you will enjoy it! As I mentioned, I'm not much of a breakfast person either but I definitely thought this was one of the better ones!

Boma

I was pretty excited for my dinner at Boma! I was staying at Kidani Village but hadn't been over to Jambo House yet...

Very beautiful! It was a little tricky at first navigating the lobby and finding Boma (it was downstairs) but I figured it out lol! I was a little bit early and was given a beeper, but it went off after about 5 minutes.

I was lead to a very nice table with a pretty view:

I started off my meal with a glass of wine. I ordered the Jam Jar Moscato:

It was a pretty decent Moscato. Nice, light, and sweet, and it ended up being a very good complement to the meal at Boma!

Since it was a buffet, I went up to scope everything out and decided to start off with the soups. I tried the Sambal Chicken Corn Chowder and the Curried Seafood Stew:

I was very excited about the curried seafood one, and while they were both good I ended up really loving the corn chowder! It did everything right - the flavors were good, it was spicy but not overly so, and the texture was nice. The seafood one was good too but for me the real winner was the chicken corn chowder. Despite all of the offerings of the buffet I ended up going back for a second bowl of this.

Up next I went for some of the "main course" items:

Starting from the bottom and going clockwise we have the Fufu, which is a sweet/white potato mash, the steak, a bit of sauce for the steak that was a Masai Mara (Kenyan style pesto with pecans and roasted red peppers), couscous, and Durban Spiced Chicken.

Everything on this plate was really good. The fufu tasted basically like mashed sweet potatoes, but I love that so I was happy. The steak was my favorite on this plate - it was cooked just how I liked it, I got a nice thick slice, and it was very juicy and delicious. The sauce was nice, though I felt like I didn't even need it for the steak. Next was the couscous. This was a real surprise. I like couscous a lot but not usually a fan of it cold. However, here even though it was cold it had so many good bits of dried fruit and maybe nuts that the flavor negated the temperature. Finally, the Durban chicken was fine, though it didn't have a ton of flavor. I expected more from something called "Spiced Durban Chicken."

Then I decided to try some of the salads and hummus:

Starting at the top and going clockwise: papaya, avocado, and grapefruit salad, various types of hummus (they weren't all labeled), pita bread, and a curried pasta salad.

This was probably my least favorite plate of everything I tried that night. The fruit salad was good, as I love grapefruit and papaya, but it had a ton of juices with it that got into everything else on the plate and made it all taste like grapefruit. The hummus were okay, though I'm not a big fan of hummus to begin with. And then the curried pasta salad was pretty good but it was hard to tell since it was infected with grapefruit! I did like it though.

And finally, dessert!

At the top and going clockwise: Cassava Cake, Zebra dome, passion fruit cheesecake, and strawberry mint pana cotta.

All the desserts were great! The cassava cake was surprisingly good, considering that I didn't really know what it was. It had a very interesting texture. The coconut on top added a lot of good flavor. I tried a zebra dome because everyone goes crazy about them. I was expecting to like them since I don't like white chocolate very much... but even I was super impressed! The white chocolate was really well balanced with the chocolate. The passion fruit cheesecake was decent, but nowhere near as good as the passion fruit cream puff that I adore at Be Our Guest. And finally, the strawberry mint pana cotta was definitely unique. I like pana cotta a lot, and I like strawberry and I like mint, but I don't think I'm crazy about them together. Out of all the desserts the zebra dome ended up being my favorite!

All told I had a great time at Boma, and I would rate it a 9 out of 10. The food is all good, but it's definitely a bit pricey for a buffet! I paid $39.99 for dinner, and $9.00 for my glass of wine.

With Tables in Wonderland I saved $9.80.

Yay, Boma! Boma was already on my list, so nice to see that reaffirmed. :)

Of course, I always have a much longer restaurant list than I actually do when I go there -- classic case of my eyes being bigger than my stomach. :rolleyes: But I think we'll pretty definitely get to at least two TS meals next time -- middle daughter is determined, and she can eat all day, all the time, no matter what. So my odds are pretty good of at least making that goal. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter