Having a "Me Party" - A solo trip dining review! Update 9/10

We haven't been to Boma for years but really loved our dinner there

Wonderful vegetarian options as well :)

I loved reading this review. I've never eaten at BOMA but am trying it for the first time this January :)

Yay, Boma! Boma was already on my list, so nice to see that reaffirmed. :)

Of course, I always have a much longer restaurant list than I actually do when I go there -- classic case of my eyes being bigger than my stomach. :rolleyes: But I think we'll pretty definitely get to at least two TS meals next time -- middle daughter is determined, and she can eat all day, all the time, no matter what. So my odds are pretty good of at least making that goal. :teeth:

I know what you mean! Plus, the more places you try it gets even harder for future trips, because you want to go back to the places that you love but you also want to try new ones - at least that's what I find! ;)

What fun!!!! Can't wait to see the rest :)

Thanks! :goodvibes

We haven't been to Boma for years but really loved our dinner there

Wonderful vegetarian options as well :)

Good point, there's definitely a good amount of stuff out there for vegetarians!

Love love love Boma! Hurry up September and get here :)

I'm sure September will be here before you know it! :goodvibes

I loved reading this review. I've never eaten at BOMA but am trying it for the first time this January :)

Ooh, have fun! I'm sure you'll love it!

Katsura Grill

For lunch I decided to try one of the places in the World Showcase, since I have tried very few of the quick service options there. I settled on Japan and made my way over to Katsura Grill.

It's a very nice location - a little out of the way but with a great view, and a lovely area just outside, with outdoor seating. It started to rain just as I arrive though, so I opted to sit inside!

For my meal I ordered the Tempura Shrimp Udon:

It was decent, though I have to admit that perhaps tempura and Udon is not the best combination? I really like both, though you kind of had to eat the shrimp first. Otherwise if you waited the tempura got really soggy in the soup. The noodles were good, and it was a nice and filling portion. I would probably opt to not get tempura in my udon next time. Individually they were both very good, I just don't know that they go together that well! I would give it a 7.5 out of 10 though. Definitely a nice meal for a counter service location.

The tempura shrimp udon was $10.99. Including my diet coke and tax, I spent a total of $14.47 here. No Tables in Wonderland discounts on counter service meals!

Loved reading your Boma review. In two weeks, we will be starting our third WDW trip, and this will be our first time without visiting Boma. I have to admit that I'm a little sad about that. :( But we are doing the DxDDP and therefore a ton of signatures, and we excited to try Jiko for the first time! I hope we love it as much (or more!) than Boma!

Your QS in Japan looked surprisingly good and on par with a lot of sit-down Japanese restaurants. I had no idea! But I'm glad to know now!

I think you will enjoy it! As I mentioned, I'm not much of a breakfast person either but I definitely thought this was one of the better ones!
I know we will have a good time except for the fact that it is our last full day at WDW (before our Disney Cruise) - there is a VERY good chance we won't feel like getting up or eating. :rotfl2:

Loved reading your Boma review. In two weeks, we will be starting our third WDW trip, and this will be our first time without visiting Boma. I have to admit that I'm a little sad about that. :( But we are doing the DxDDP and therefore a ton of signatures, and we excited to try Jiko for the first time! I hope we love it as much (or more!) than Boma!

Your QS in Japan looked surprisingly good and on par with a lot of sit-down Japanese restaurants. I had no idea! But I'm glad to know now!

I know we will have a good time except for the fact that it is our last full day at WDW (before our Disney Cruise) - there is a VERY good chance we won't feel like getting up or eating. :rotfl2:

I am also trying Jiko on our next trip, for our anniversary! I am very excited to try it, I've heard such great things.

And I know what you mean about the last day - one of the reasons why I'm not a breakfast person is because I don't like getting up in the mornings!

World Showcase Snacks

So first of all, my photobucket account ran out of bandwidth. I get more on the 30th, so just 2 more days, but in the meantime all of my previous photos are unviewable. Sorry about that! But I've switched to imgur, so the new ones you will be able to see.

During my afternoon at Epcot, of course I had to stop in the World Showcase for a few goodies! My first was a drink from the cart in the UK. I had the cider, I believe it was a Pear Magners Cider:

rBm3xKvl.jpg

This was definitely refreshing! I love hard cider, and this was one of the better ones I've had. It felt really good to just relax and drink this while walking around.

The other thing that I simply had to try was the new ice cream place in France! I got a one scoop cone of mint chocolate chip:

yBkKoWtl.jpg

One scoop was plenty for me, as I thought it was a fairly generous portion. I also love how perfectly round they scoop it! The mint chocolate was really unusual - it tasted like actual fresh mint (like mint leaves, the herb) than the mint flavor you're used to in ice cream. It caught me off guard at first but I ended up really loving it. I will definitely be back here to try many more flavors (and maybe some of those ice creams topped with liquor!)

Via Napoli Via Napoli

I managed to snag a Via Napoli reservation for myself the day before on the app, so I was pretty excited to get there since I've heard many good things. I only had to wait a little bit to be seated.

I was led to the side section, not in the main dining room. It was a bit smaller, but still plenty crowded and loud.

I had a nice little seat with a good view:

Did I mention it was loud in there? I think this was partly due to the fact that I was seated near a large group celebrating someone's birthday, but I could hardly hear myself think. I was almost glad I was alone because it would've been a pain trying to talk to someone else with all the noise going on. It got a little better once the group left, but not by a ton. So at least from my experience this place was very loud!

The meal started off with some bread and olive oil. The oil was really nothing special - I didn't think it was particularly good olive oil, but as a simple precursor to the meal it was fine.

For my entree I ordered an individual pie of the melon and prosciutto pizza:

This was very good. I loved the combination of flavors, with the sweet from the melon and the salty from the prosciutto. It's also pretty large. If I was with my DH we probably would've shared an appetizer and then shared this pizza (and then shared a dessert if we felt like it!). By myself I ate 3/4 of it and saved the last slice for breakfast the next morning! Overall I'd give the pizza an 8 out of 10.

As for Via Napoli overall, I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10. The food was good, though I think this place gets a lot of hype and for me I definitely prefer other Disney restaurants. It definitely could have just had to do with the day/time I was there, because the loudness in the restaurant definitely knocked it down a little bit for me. I'll definitely be back to try it again though!

With the pizza and a soda, my total came to $22.71 including tax and gratuity and the TiW discount. I saved $4.40 with TiW, bringing my total savings on this trip up to $14.20.

Splitsville

I was excited to try out Splitsville, as it was new to me and I like to bowl but don't get to go very often. I went with two friends who live in the area, and we bowled and ordered lunch there. I wasn't expected much for "bowling alley food," but it was surprisingly good!

We started off by splitting the loaded fries (smothered with nacho cheese, bacon, ranch, scallions and love):

This pic was after my friends had taken a few handfuls - they give you a ton of fries! Easily enough for the three of us to split as an appetizer. The fries were really, really good. And that's coming from someone that doesn't really care for ranch! Then again, I guess it's hard to go wrong with fries, bacon, and cheese ;) I'd give the loaded fries a 9 out of 10.

For our meal we all split the margherita pizza (mozzarella, Roma tomatoes, basil, tomato sauce honey wheat crust):

First of all, this was another huge portion. I can't imagine ordering one just for yourself. With the appetizer the three of us split this and were very full - I think there may have even been a slice left over. The pizza itself was good. Not outstanding, but very good. I was looking forward to the honey wheat crust in the description but I couldn't taste any honey at all. And they could've been a little more generous with the fresh basil. But it was a very good pizza, especially in Disney where good pizza is sometimes hard to find! I would give it a 7.5 out of 10.

The food at Splitsville was very good, but combine that with the fact that you're bowling while they bring you the food and it's awesome! I'd give Splitsville an 8.5 out of 10. It's definitely worth it for the experience!

We just had them split our check 3 ways (since we all ordered a soda too) and one portion came out to $11.99 including tax. No Tables in Wonderland discount here, but a very good price for a yummy meal!

Thanks for the review of Splitsville! I am really hoping to check it out in October and your picture of the loaded fries has helped to sway me even more. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter