Having a hard time understanding the new Hagrid's VQ system

PantherPete

Mouseketeer
Hi guys. I see many posts about this, but I still have some questions about the Hagrid's VQ system. Last year on my trip, it was easy. I would go on the app at the times that this board suggested and made my reservations. Easy. Even if I wasn't in the park (did it from my room at the HRH).

So, how exactly does it work now. I assume it will hit the VQ level while I'm there (11/20 to 11/27 with plans to be at IOA on Mon, Wed and Saturday). Do I need to go to the ride and scan the VR code? Or do I just log into my app? Do I have to be in IOA? Or can I book a time from my hotel room at HRH?

Are there better times than others to try to get a reservation?

Can my other 3 family members all try on their apps as well?

TIA for any help you can provide.

goto vltest.universalorlando.com and setup an account.
The VL doesn’t have a set time of opening. It’s very fluid. It seems it doesn’t go virtual on week days. On weekends it does. It did on Sunday. It opened around 9am. I just kept refreshing throughout the AM and I was able to book.

Thanks. So, the VL is a website then? The universal app isn’t used? Can I book a ride from the HRH or do I actually have to be inside IOA?

I assume it will hit the VQ level while I'm there (11/20 to 11/27 with plans to be at IOA on Mon, Wed and Saturday).
Saturday would be the most likely day for it to use VL. Overall, VL usage is based on how busy the parks are. Check the app and/or the VL site to know when it's using VL.

Do I need to go to the ride and scan the VR code?
No, not to book the VL. Just go to the site. Make an account. When you are in Universal check the app or VL site. If VL is in use, use the site to book. When your return time is ready, you will get a QR code. Go to the ride and there will be TMs there to scan your code. Don't go to the lockers first, go scan your code, then they will direct you to a locker if necessary.

Are there better times than others to try to get a reservation?
Not really. I don't think there is a scheduled time when they open the VL times. Check the app/site, when you see an opening, grab it. You can reschedule it once you have it.

Can my other 3 family members all try on their apps as well?
Not the app, but the site. You can have multiple people in your party create accounts on the VL site and all can grab VL times for everyone in the party. The VL site is unrelated to your ticket, app, etc. You just select a number of people in your party.

Thanks. So, the VL is a website then?
Yes.

The universal app isn’t used?
No, not for the VL. The app will, however, indicate when the ride is using standby times vs. VL.

Can I book a ride from the HRH or do I actually have to be inside IOA?
You should be able to book while at a resort.

Saturday would be the most likely day for it to use VL. Overall, VL usage is based on how busy the parks are. Check the app and/or the VL site to know when it's using VL.

No, not to book the VL. Just go to the site. Make an account. When you are in Universal check the app or VL site. If VL is in use, use the site to book. When your return time is ready, you will get a QR code. Go to the ride and there will be TMs there to scan your code. Don't go to the lockers first, go scan your code, then they will direct you to a locker if necessary.

Not really. I don't think there is a scheduled time when they open the VL times. Check the app/site, when you see an opening, grab it. You can reschedule it once you have it.

Not the app, but the site. You can have multiple people in your party create accounts on the VL site and all can grab VL times for everyone in the party. The VL site is unrelated to your ticket, app, etc. You just select a number of people in your party.

Yes.

No, not for the VL. The app will, however, indicate when the ride is using standby times vs. VL.

You should be able to book while at a resort.

I dont think I ever would have figured this out without your great response. Thank you. :love:

wait are you saying the app has ZERO connection to Hagrid now? Want to make sure I'm understanding this. Because why would it be removed from the "all in one" app?

wait are you saying the app has ZERO connection to Hagrid now? Want to make sure I'm understanding this. Because why would it be removed from the "all in one" app?
Just want to make sure it's clear - the app will show the status of Hagrid's (wait time, using VL, Delayed, etc.). So there is a 'connection' between the ride and the app in that sense. Currently, there is no connection between the app and VL.

VL is only available through the https://vltest.universalorlando.com/ website. Based on the URL, one can only assume that this is a 'test' and they are trying to figure out the best way to do it. If and when they pull it back into the app is anyone's guess.

I did notice in July that the VQ using the website seemed to release 15 minutes before normal park opening, not early entry, to 10 minutes after. However, it was usually right about park opening, give or take a few minutes on either side.

Thank you for this information! Can you tell me if I get a QR and return time we will still be waiting in quite a long line correct?
We have express pass and are going the week before Christmas. I know express won't work for Hagrids but I am starting to get paranoid about wait times/crowds!

Thank you for this information! Can you tell me if I get a QR and return time we will still be waiting in quite a long line correct?
We have express pass and are going the week before Christmas. I know express won't work for Hagrids but I am starting to get paranoid about wait times/crowds!
Yes, you’ll still wait in a ‘long’ line. If I recall right, we waited 90 minutes, but half of that was ride downtime - so it would have been ~45 min or so.

I tried Early Entry for Hagrid's and still never made it on either day I was there. After an hour after opening, Hagrid's went VQ. I was refreshing like a mad man all day and had the phone to my face both days. Still didn't get one. It is brutal. LMAO

I tried Early Entry for Hagrid's and still never made it on either day I was there. After an hour after opening, Hagrid's went VQ. I was refreshing like a mad man all day and had the phone to my face both days. Still didn't get one. It is brutal. LMAO
Also had no luck with VQ for 11/20-11/24. I ended up getting in line an hour before entry to make sure we got on the ride...

Wow, I'm so glad I stumbled onto this. Is the VQ website advertised anywhere in Universal's marketing materials? I would have never known about this otherwise. I thought for sure you made still made reservations in the app. Thanks!

Wow, I'm so glad I stumbled onto this. Is the VQ website advertised anywhere in Universal's marketing materials? I would have never known about this otherwise. I thought for sure you made still made reservations in the app. Thanks!
The web address is available on the app if you click on the attraction and when it’s in use you will see a frames around the park with the QR link.

I'm sorry but I'm very confused about your comment. How did you not make it on Hagrid's if you went during Early Entry? I thought they don't do the VQ during the Early Entry and you just line up? Don't they let everyone standing in line during EE get on the ride even if it goes past the regular opening time? Can you explain more in details what happened during your EE and how come you didn't get to go on the ride? I'm only there 2 days during the high season and my plan of attack was to go during EE and just wait in line till I get to ride even if it takes 2 hours.

I'm sorry but I'm very confused about your comment. How did you not make it on Hagrid's if you went during Early Entry? I thought they don't do the VQ during the Early Entry and you just line up? Don't they let everyone standing in line during EE get on the ride even if it goes past the regular opening time? Can you explain more in details what happened during your EE and how come you didn't get to go on the ride? I'm only there 2 days during the high season and my plan of attack was to go during EE and just wait in line till I get to ride even if it takes 2 hours.
I asked the same question of him in an earlier thread. He said he didn't get in line because he refuses to wait in any line longer than 30 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts