HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning friends! Hi Blue :wave2: I'm trying to catch up on my reading. Lots going on here on this thread.

I personally like a bedspread. I have one on my bed at home and liked the ones at the GF. I could always pull it up on my half of the bed if it got too cold. DH is a furnace and kicks off the covers. I know that the spreads are changed when you check out. I loved the Alice themed spreads. They were there the first time we went to the GF.

Permits have been filed for room renovations? That sounds like more than just a soft refurb. Can't wait to find out what that's all about.

Bye for now.

Good Morning GF Lovers! :goodvibes

So, I know that the recent Courtyard Refurb resulted in the deepest portion being 4 1/2 feet now. But, how deep is the Beach pool? :confused:

Thanks!

It has been awhile (2005) since I have stayed at the GF and I had a couple of questions:

1. Do they still provide turn-down service?
  2. What about those wonderful robes?
  3. I know the room has a hair dryer, but I was wondering if an extra hair dryer would be something we could request. Hate the thought of packing one, but there will be two females getting ready and it may save time to have an extra.

This is a great thread. Many thanks to all you GF experts for the great information and advice!

Mousemommy, There is only a very small area of the courtyard pool that is over 4 feet deep...not enough room to swim. It's just in that little bump out area. Most of the pool is under 3 feet deep. Never been in the beach pool so can't answer how deep it is.

grannyminnie, Yes you are remembering correctly...the YC only has a thin blanket between two sheets. I had to turn the AC way up so I would be warm enough...same thing at the BWI in September. I checked my pics and the Hyatt didn't have a bedspread either, looks like all hotels are doing away with bedspreads and comforters. :confused:

RPC peeps mostly used the SL lounge to grab snacks and or drinks while at the pool...very convenient.

trishadono, You may be on to something. Disney found another way to separate us from our money...buy a throw to keep warm at night. :rotfl2:

oh, goodness, if they end up with the same set up that BC has, we were FREEZING. it was as k&a&c'smom described... a sheet, then two sheets on either side of a thin blanket. we had 5 nights there and could not get warm and it was AUGUST! we ended up getting extra blankets and that helped a bit. anyway, yuck, if they get the same as BC, i will be SO disappointed in the bedding, it is inadequate for a moderate and a disgrace for a deluxe. :headache:

Another resort with only triple sheeting! (By my count, we now have Y&BC, BWI and GF) Did you mention to CMs that you felt the bedding inadequate? I will be!:headache:

The blue throw is just a splash of color. A pretend throw actually.

Just as I suspected - the useless bed scarf.

I always sleep with some type of blanket, so this will really be an adjustment for me :rolleyes1.

That's not good.....at least not for me :sad2:.

Me, either.

This "pretend throw" thing seems to be a trend these days....I believe they had them at the YC on our visit last April. We've even had them at Marriotts. :confused3 In that situation, I also had to ask for a blanket (and it was in July)!

I know, this is what I meant by "don't get me started on the bed scarf" in an earlier post. They have no purpose, you can't use them to cover up - silly. All the resorts that have recently switched to duvets (Y&BC, BWI, CR) had them. I detest them.

Well since we stay at BLT often I have experience with cold nights due to sleeper sofa not having a comforter either.
1. I bring my Vera Bradley stadium blanket with me for extra warmth.

2. When I left Mco in April at 6am it was so cold I spent $20 on a thin fleece blanket for dd and I for that day for travel home. I did bring it with me for the next few trips and even though thin it does help to keep warmth in and is so thin fits in suitcase fine.

3. Between DTD, the resorts and the parks there will be Pwp to get a throw. I have purchased them and used it on my trip then repackage it and take home as a souvenir.

After reading this I am definitely bringing my stadium vera. Dh keeps room COLD:rotfl:

Great tip, but I don't feel I should have to bring my own blankets!:scared1:

Good morning friends! Hi Blue :wave2: I'm trying to catch up on my reading. Lots going on here on this thread.

I personally like a bedspread. I have one on my bed at home and liked the ones at the GF. I could always pull it up on my half of the bed if it got too cold. DH is a furnace and kicks off the covers. I know that the spreads are changed when you check out. I loved the Alice themed spreads. They were there the first time we went to the GF.

Permits have been filed for room renovations? That sounds like more than just a soft refurb. Can't wait to find out what that's all about.

Bye for now.

I liked the bedspreads, too. Some more than others - lookin' at you, Poly bedspread with weird colors! hahaha - but it's not something I've been hoping would go away at WDW, like most DISers. Duvets are fine if they want to cut down on laundry, but I would prefer they use a whimsical, Disney-themed cover. Not a white one.

From what I can tell, permits are filed for all the room refurbs, no matter the scope. Heck, permits are filed at Disney when they just change an outlet!:teeth: Some permits get filed, then expire with nothing done at all. They filed room rehab permits for BCV back in May, and so far, they only seem to be testing new carpet - but I read they plan a room refurb in 2014.

Good Morning GF Lovers! :goodvibes

So, I know that the recent Courtyard Refurb resulted in the deepest portion being 4 1/2 feet now. But, how deep is the Beach pool? :confused:

Thanks!

Most of the deep end is about neck deep on me, and I'm 5'3"! Not very deep. (most of it under 5 ft., except one small area around the slide exit)

It has been awhile (2005) since I have stayed at the GF and I had a couple of questions:

1. Do they still provide turn-down service?
  2. What about those wonderful robes?
  3. I know the room has a hair dryer, but I was wondering if an extra hair dryer would be something we could request. Hate the thought of packing one, but there will be two females getting ready and it may save time to have an extra.

This is a great thread. Many thanks to all you GF experts for the great information and advice!

1. They do provide turn down service, but if we end up with only triple sheeting, as has been described, it won't be necessary.:confused:

2. Still have robes in the closet, usually two - you can ask for more, if you need them, call housekeeping.

3. You can call housekeeping, they will have almost anything you need. An extra hair dryer shouldn't be an issue at all.

HTH!:sunny:

Mousemommy, There is only a very small area of the courtyard pool that is over 4 feet deep...not enough room to swim. It's just in that little bump out area. Most of the pool is under 3 feet deep. Never been in the beach pool so can't answer how deep it is.

grannyminnie, Yes you are remembering correctly...the YC only has a thin blanket between two sheets. I had to turn the AC way up so I would be warm enough...same thing at the BWI in September. I checked my pics and the Hyatt didn't have a bedspread either, looks like all hotels are doing away with bedspreads and comforters. :confused:

RPC peeps mostly used the SL lounge to grab snacks and or drinks while at the pool...very convenient.

trishadono, You may be on to something. Disney found another way to separate us from our money...buy a throw to keep warm at night. :rotfl2:

LOL about separating us from more of our money! Maybe they'll be selling the old bedspreads in the gift shop.

Thanks for the pool photo. I so miss the deep end.

I wonder when YC switched? When we were there last August (2012, not 2013) they still had the white duvets, so did BC (BC's were a cream color, which I liked a lot better). I can't imagine what they are thinking, nor can I imagine guests aren't complaining! Who expects to get a half-made bed in their hotel room? Our rooms in the newly-renovated PBH rooms in April (see photo) were heavenly, we said it was like climbing into a cloud at the end of the day. I was even OK with it being white!:laughing:

Another resort with only triple sheeting! (By my count, we now have Y&BC, BWI and GF) Did you mention to CMs that you felt the bedding inadequate? I will be!:headache:

Just as I suspected - the useless bed scarf.

Me, either.

I know, this is what I meant by "don't get me started on the bed scarf" in an earlier post. They have no purpose, you can't use them to cover up - silly. All the resorts that have recently switched to duvets (Y&BC, BWI, CR) had them. I detest them.

Great tip, but I don't feel I should have to bring my own blankets!:scared1:

I liked the bedspreads, too. Some more than others - lookin' at you, Poly bedspread with weird colors! hahaha - but it's not something I've been hoping would go away at WDW, like most DISers. Duvets are fine if they want to cut down on laundry, but I would prefer they use a whimsical, Disney-themed cover. Not a white one.

From what I can tell, permits are filed for all the room refurbs, no matter the scope. Heck, permits are filed at Disney when they just change an outlet!:teeth: Some permits get filed, then expire with nothing done at all. They filed room rehab permits for BCV back in May, and so far, they only seem to be testing new carpet - but I read they plan a room refurb in 2014.

Most of the deep end is about neck deep on me, and I'm 5'3"! Not very deep. (most of it under 5 ft., except one small area around the slide exit)

1. They do provide turn down service, but if we end up with only triple sheeting, as has been described, it won't be necessary.:confused:

2. Still have robes in the closet, usually two - you can ask for more, if you need them, call housekeeping.

3. You can call housekeeping, they will have almost anything you need. An extra hair dryer shouldn't be an issue at all.

HTH!:sunny:

LOL about separating us from more of our money! Maybe they'll be selling the old bedspreads in the gift shop.

Thanks for the pool photo. I so miss the deep end.

I wonder when YC switched? When we were there last August (2012, not 2013) they still had the white duvets, so did BC (BC's were a cream color, which I liked a lot better). I can't imagine what they are thinking, nor can I imagine guests aren't complaining! Who expects to get a half-made bed in their hotel room? Our rooms in the newly-renovated PBH rooms in April (see photo) were heavenly, we said it was like climbing into a cloud at the end of the day. I was even OK with it being white!:laughing:

IMG_1505_zps27b4b188.jpg

I am only 5'2" :laughing: As long as I can dip down and submerge myself, I'm good to go. It will be nice for my littlest little, who at almost 7 years old is only 45" tall. :goodvibes

is it just me or does anyone else hate the latest decor of the GF? It is so dark and gloomy it looks like a 1930's funeral home. where are the soft salmons, blues and greens? I was shocked and very disappointed. Saw some pix of the suites and they are 'dumbed' down too - no mutiple pillows on beds, upholstery dark YUK! Even the lobby with the dark rug and the palm trees. I am going to cry! I see in Conde Nast where even the Wilderness Lodge beat the GF for best resorts - and by a lot. The GS people need new uniforms too. The present sage green and OLD and ill fitting on everyone. Even V&A's had poor fitting uniforms on the servers. Someone had better get on the ball!

not only Disney, but many hotels I have been to lately are going to the "useless scarf".

I started seeing it in 2008..and now, I have been to 5 hotels since July and they are all going to that white duvet with useless scarf...

ppiew - we do not find the decor of the Grand to be dark at all - just the opposite, in fact!:goodvibes

I recently toured a few of the suites, and they were not dark, either. Beautiful colors and fabrics.

not only Disney, but many hotels I have been to lately are going to the "useless scarf".

I started seeing it in 2008..and now, I have been to 5 hotels since July and they are all going to that white duvet with useless scarf...

I know, I've been saying in the last few years the Disney resort rooms were changing to the point they could be any Hampton Inn we travel through on the road.:headache:

We were in a Loews hotel in DC earlier this year, and though they did have a white duvet and colored throw, their throw was at least functional. We used it to cover up for a mid-day nap.

I thought my least-liked option was the white duvet with bed scarf; now, I know better!:eek: It is the removal of said duvet, to be replaced with...nothing.

Reading posts of DISers who have photos of the new bedding, it seems some of them think this is still a duvet. So, if the guests don't even know they are getting only triple sheeting without a bed cover, I guess it will probably remain. Not what I want to spend Disney deluxe prices for, but maybe I'm in the minority.:confused:

Last fall we we spent $800+ for a concierge room at the GF and had cotton/polyester sheets (ugh) dark carpet frankly it wasn't very classy looking. I would think for that price they would be making beds with Frette or Pratesi even the Disney Cruise Lines do. Tlkd to a CM and she said they had been getting many complaints about it - especially the missing flower decor in the main lobby!

k&a&c'smom-We are super excited and thank you so much for this amazing thread. GF has been my favorite resort since it opened and your thread captures the beauty of the resort.

BlueSkies- We actually are having our first stay this Saturday. We check in 10/26 and stay fro 5 nights in a 1 bedroom standard view. This week is dragging.

mickeynut1-Thanks for the warm welcome. :goodvibes

k&a&c'smom, Ahhh that PBH bed looks so comfy.:cloud9:

For those wondering what the new bedding looks like.

We did a YC/GF split in May and BWI in September. The GF still had the bedspreads in May.

BWI

YC was a little better, but it was still only a thin blanket in there. Maybe this was a duvet and not a sheet, can't remember. I do remember that is was not warm enough.

Turn down at the YC...at least you still get chocolates. :rotfl2:

ppiew, I have never heard anyone describe the Grand as dark before. :confused3 I don't think it is dark at all. I do agree with you though with the price they charge for those rooms there should be better amenities all around. The beds should at least look like the PBH beds. :rotfl2:

I've been musing, maybe the recent switch to the triple sheeting at various resorts is simply a placeholder for the real thing?:scratchin Perhaps, with upcoming refurbs, they are waiting until they get their textiles made? (I'm still holding out hope, lol)

k&a&c'smom-We are super excited and thank you so much for this amazing thread. GF has been my favorite resort since it opened and your thread captures the beauty of the resort.

BlueSkies- We actually are having our first stay this Saturday. We check in 10/26 and stay fro 5 nights in a 1 bedroom standard view. This week is dragging.

mickeynut1-Thanks for the warm welcome. :goodvibes

You are welcome! It's a group effort, so many friendly and knowledgeable DISers here.:grouphug:

I'll bet this week IS dragging, I'm excited for your first trip "home"!:cool1::cool1: Can't wait to hear your review.:goodvibes

k&a&c'smom, Ahhh that PBH bed looks so comfy.:cloud9:

For those wondering what the new bedding looks like.

We did a YC/GF split in May and BWI in September. The GF still had the bedspreads in May.

BWI

YC was a little better, but it was still only a thin blanket in there. Maybe this was a duvet and not a sheet, can't remember. I do remember that is was not warm enough.

Turn down at the YC...at least you still get chocolates. :rotfl2:

Posting at the same time - where is BlueSkies?!:teeth: I expect her to have a post any minute now.

Thanks for those photos - the YC top sheet looks exactly like the woven pattern I saw on the Poly beds...I think! I'll have to go look again. ETA: Nope, I was wrong, they look like the plain ones in the BWI photos.

Those PBH beds are incredible, we had a hard time getting out of them. At the end of the day, when DD, her BFF and I got into bed, we would argue about who was getting up to make sure the door was locked, etc.:rotfl: The pix of the (possible) new Four Seasons rooms look very similar, to me.

I have some from April - 6 mos., not 3, but they are the same so far. (unless they are already having the bedspread removed, too!)

I thought someone said the GF had..I just wondered.

I guess I am in the minority..I like the white duvets..But, I also watched a thing on 20/20 or dateline about hotel rooms and the bedspread inspection was SCARY!! :scared1:

Hello all! I am new to this thread and have never stayed at the GF! Is anybody able to tell me if construction is going at the resort in Nov? We are coming down Nov 15-23 and would like to have a stay here. What is the best options for a family of four with a napping toddler midday? Would like a room with a view but not too noisy? Is that possible here? We have stayed at other resorts and have been intrigued by this one. Also what building and view would you recommend? Any help would be appreciated!

I thought someone said the GF had..I just wondered.

I guess I am in the minority..I like the white duvets..But, I also watched a thing on 20/20 or dateline about hotel rooms and the bedspread inspection was SCARY!! :scared1:

Well, the resort is supposed to undergo a room refurb rumored to be starting in January. So far, we have had reports that some rooms are starting to have only triple sheeting (no bedspread, no duvet) with a runner or scarf. Not sure yet whether this is throughout all rooms.

I don't mind the duvets, but I'm not fond of white. Makes the WDW rooms look like any room, in any hotel. I, and many WDW regulars, prefer to see and feel Disney when we are in our rooms.:wizard:

We usually take those scary reports with a grain of salt. For some people, having a bedspread seems to exacerbate their germaphobia!:teeth: It doesn't bother me at the WDW resorts, I have seen them change the spreads when making up the rooms, so I know they do so regularly. We spoke with a mousekeeper at the YC last year, and she assured me the duvet covers get replaced between each guest (and we saw her doing it in our room as we entered).

Hello all! I am new to this thread and have never stayed at the GF! Is anybody able to tell me if construction is going at the resort in Nov? We are coming down Nov 15-23 and would like to have a stay here. What is the best options for a family of four with a napping toddler midday? Would like a room with a view but not too noisy? Is that possible here? We have stayed at other resorts and have been intrigued by this one. Also what building and view would you recommend? Any help would be appreciated!

Hello!:wave2: The best place to start is to read through the first page of this thread. Lots of info there, to help you decide if the resort is right for you and what room category you prefer.:flower3:

All GF rooms have some sort of view - there are no "parking lot" views at the Grand. In the garden view category, you will have either a view of the courtyard with pool, the marina or the back side of Sago, which has lovely landscaping and a view of the monorail.

As far as I know, there is no major construction planned for November.

I don't mind the duvets, but I'm not fond of white. Makes the WDW rooms look like any room, in any hotel. I, and many WDW regulars, prefer to see and feel Disney when we are in our rooms.:wizard:

We usually take those scary reports with a grain of salt. For some people, having a bedspread seems to exacerbate their germaphobia!:teeth: It doesn't bother me at the WDW resorts, I have seen them change the spreads when making up the rooms, so I know they do so regularly. We spoke with a mousekeeper at the YC last year, and she assured me the duvet covers get replaced between each guest (and we saw her doing it in our room as we entered).

I wonder if they went to white so they could bleach the heck out of them (or at least hot water) in between? I agree with you, yet hadn't really thought about it before...I wouldn't want it to look like a regular hotel when I got there. I can't imagine no blanket!! I would think that maybe that looked good on paper...Once they realize mousekeeping is spending more time running blankets to all the rooms they may change their minds? I like to curl up in a warm blanket (even in Florida!!), so that would not work for me either!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!