HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
You brainwashing your niece....who would have thought!!! :rolleyes1 Can you even count how many Mickey/Minnie things you have gotten her already!??

I really hope that you can work out a family trip...being there for her very first Disney trip will be extra special...:goodvibes

Yeah, that's not something I would do on purpose :rolleyes1......LOL. I couldn't begin to guess how many Mickey/Minnie things I have gotten her already.....LOL.....but that still doesn't stop me from looking for things every time I go out :rotfl::rotfl:. Thanks about the family trip.....I hope it all works out too. My SIL has already said I can do all of the planning when they decide to go.....she's more of a last minute trip goer and she knows how much I love Disney and the fact that we've been so many times is a huge advantage :goodvibes.

Can't wait for your report on the opening of VGF!:goodvibes

Me too.....I'm very excited for Blue's report when she returns ::yes::.

MickeyNut Meant to ask you..do your DB and SIL have any resort preference...You know that I think that the princess' first Disney trip should be at the GF... I think I know what your suggestion would be...:scratchin Something with a bit more of a tropical theme?? LOL...

My DB has actually mentioned in the past that the Poly appeals to him (gotta love him for that ;)). He said the GF would be nice as well. If a trip does get planned for next summer, the Poly will most likely be out with all of the construction being in full swing by that time. The construction wouldn't bother me, but if the volcano pool was closed and the GCH was being refurbed, those would be deal breakers for me and I wouldn't want everyone else's first trip onsite to be memories of that :sad2:. I would have to put the GF out there (of course ::yes::), but in all honesty, I was telling my DH the other day that my niece would probably love AKL. She LOVES animals and I think she would go crazy being able to see them from her room.....plus AKL is a beautiful resort and my DB loves Boma, so AKL probably wouldn't be a hard sell :laughing:. Only time will tell, but I'm hoping to be in the planning stages of a big family Disney trip soon :wizard:.

MickeyNut Ya gotta love a brother who is a Poly fan and likes the GF too! :) And even AKL...! Hope you will be in the planning stages soon too...

Maxie Mr Blue has been quite cooperative this week!!! :dance3:And we will have some overlapping days.. Looks like he and Mr Maxie will be golfing together in the near future!!

k&a&c'smom Dare I ask..LOL...will I be seeing a post any minute??? ;) LOL..

mousemommy Just wondering..what resort are you booked at today?? LOL... C'mon back to the Grand! You will love it!

Good morning fellow GF fans! Have a terrific Tuesday! :flower3:

k&a&c'smom Dare I ask..LOL...will I be seeing a post any minute??? ;) LOL..

Good morning fellow GF fans! Have a terrific Tuesday! :flower3:

Why, yes, I am posting right now!;)

mickeynut - We love AKL, it would be a beautiful choice for your niece.:goodvibes Enjoy your planning, a big family trip sounds wonderful. I wish my DH loved WDW; he gets motion sick on highway exit ramps, so his experience of the parks was mostly waiting for the fam to finish a ride.;) I keep telling him, we don't do commando touring any more, but he's not listening.

I'm over the moon that our GF trip is coming up in 12 days!

Question for you veterans of GF! :cool2:

1. What is the one thing that is going to throw me over the top and make me stop in my tracks? pixiedust:

2. In what area will I find myself wanting to linger? :coffee:

3. What one food item from a GF restaurant (any of them) will visit me in my dreams at night and I will possibly eat it more than once? :rolleyes:

4. Where will I stop and stare and say, "Why oh why didn't I bring my Canon rebel camera?!" :guilty:

5. What will make me think, "Hmmm...this isn't what I was picturing..." :scratchin

I SO look forward to your answers! :yay:

Hi everyone!!

I have another question to add to the poster above. Has anyone walked form the GF to the TTC? I am a very fast walker and am wondering if that will save me time in getting from the GF to Epcot.

Thanks!!
:beach:

PS -- UPDATE -- I just found this thread with my answer! :) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2723133

I bounce from one monorail resort to another. I have walked from MK to Cr, TTC to Poly, Poly to GF. All of those are pretty reasonable.

I walk 30-60 minutes a day 5 times a week. I would not walk from GF to TTC unless I had to or wasn't going into any parks. It is a long walk. The monorail ride from GF to TTC is quick and that would be my recommended route.

However just for fun I do recommend trying each of those routes and do some resort exploring. DD and I do that many times. We just walk one section then monorail or boat the rest to our final destination.:cool1:

1. What is the one thing that is going to throw me over the top and make me stop in my tracks? pixiedust:

3. What one food item from a GF restaurant (any of them) will visit me in my dreams at night and I will possibly eat it more than once? :rolleyes:

4. Where will I stop and stare and say, "Why oh why didn't I bring my Canon rebel camera?!" :guilty:

5. What will make me think, "Hmmm...this isn't what I was picturing..." :scratchin

Hmm good questions but I can't exactly answer them lol.

However here are my GF must do's.

1. Take glass elevator up and admire the lobby.
2. Walk down the stairs and see the view of the lobby and feel like a princessprincess:
3.Take a whiff of the scent in the lobby and in the hallways/rooms.
4. Don't you just love the pineapples and hidden mickey's in the wall paper in the hallways???
5. The boat ride from GF to Poly and MK is my FAVORITE:lovestruc
6. For food sitting by the beach with a Mai tai (any rum drink)and soaking in the magic!

I only have a month to go to my visit. Can't wait too!

I bounce from one monorail resort to another. I have walked from MK to Cr, TTC to Poly, Poly to GF. All of those are pretty reasonable.

I walk 30-60 minutes a day 5 times a week. I would not walk from GF to TTC unless I had to or wasn't going into any parks. It is a long walk. The monorail ride from GF to TTC is quick and that would be my recommended route.

However just for fun I do recommend trying each of those routes and do some resort exploring. DD and I do that many times. We just walk one section then monorail or boat the rest to our final destination.:cool1:

Great idea! thanks!!

MickeyNut Ya gotta love a brother who is a Poly fan and likes the GF too! :) And even AKL...! Hope you will be in the planning stages soon too...

I agree ::yes::. I'm already pre-planning........gotta have some ideas in mind should the topic come up :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:.

mickeynut - We love AKL, it would be a beautiful choice for your niece.:goodvibes Enjoy your planning, a big family trip sounds wonderful. I wish my DH loved WDW; he gets motion sick on highway exit ramps, so his experience of the parks was mostly waiting for the fam to finish a ride.;) I keep telling him, we don't do commando touring any more, but he's not listening.

As much as I do love the monorail resorts, we like AKL and I really think my niece would love it :goodvibes. I'm sorry your DH isn't a big WDW fan. My DH and DSs aren't into Disney as much as I am, but they do love going to WDW and we always have a great time. We also do a lot of resort time and not so much on the go park time, so that makes for more relaxing trips. We've taken two big family trips in the past (14 of us) to Orlando and rented a house each time and we had a blast (even with all 14 of us together :crowded:), so I know doing a Disney-centered trip and staying on property would be amazing....now just to get everyone else on board with everyone agreeing on the same resort :rolleyes1.

How exciting.....you're going to love the GF :wizard:. As for your questions:

1. The lobby as it's beautiful :)

2. The whole resort :cloud9:

3. Can't help with this one :rolleyes1

4. The lobby and grounds :goodvibes

5. Can't think of anything

Hi everyone!!

I have another question to add to the poster above. Has anyone walked form the GF to the TTC? I am a very fast walker and am wondering if that will save me time in getting from the GF to Epcot.

Thanks!!
:beach:

PS -- UPDATE -- I just found this thread with my answer! :) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2723133

I see from your ticker that this will be your first GF stay and I just wanted to say you are going to have a great stay as the GF is an amazing resort :thumbsup2.

We are 75 days out from our first stay at the GF and I can't wait . . . I can't wait to see the gingerbread house and smell the lobby and see the decorations and spend time with the mouse . . . . I CAN'T WAIT!!!!:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Sorry . . . I'm just a little exicited!

Subscribing!!

Booked our annual February trip for DD's 16th birthday... We are booked in CL

I am sure you get this question often, do they ever sprinkle pixie dust and move you to the main building?? GF is the only deluxe we have never stayed at, but AKL, CR, POLY, etc always seem to give you a bump.. Just wondered what a bump could be for a CL booking

I can't wait!!

We are 75 days out from our first stay at the GF and I can't wait . . . I can't wait to see the gingerbread house and smell the lobby and see the decorations and spend time with the mouse . . . . I CAN'T WAIT!!!!:cool1::cool1::cool1:

That's ok, we understand;)

Visiting the gingerbread house is one of my favorite things to do. This year instead of our thanksgiving visit we are arriving on New Years Day and I can't wait too!

Subscribing!!

I am sure you get this question often, do they ever sprinkle pixie dust and move you to the main building?? GF is the only deluxe we have never stayed at, but AKL, CR, POLY, etc always seem to give you a bump.. Just wondered what a bump could be for a CL booking

I can't wait!!

I took dd at 17 for her birthday for one night at the end of our trip to GF in SL we didn't even get a welcome gift. Then for Dd 18 bday we went to Poly CL for end of our trip for 3 nights, again nothing for bday other that the bday pin. Then for dh and I for our anniversary we were booked at poly in a GV room and I asked for a king bed( they now have some). After checking they said none available then upgraded up to CL then said wait how about TPV CL?

Also our first CL was an upgrade from the deluxe room at CR (king bed with queen sleeper in the garden wing) to an Atrium Club room for ds 14 bday. (We thought for bday but we checked out GW later and the section with deluxe rooms were closed for refurbishment).

I subscribe to the theory " book what you really want" . With 50 stays I have been upgraded but they were due to maintenance or requests not being met within the category I had booked.

On a side note, have a great time. My dd away for college and I can't wait for our January trip together:yay:

yeah..I usually book what I want..rarely do I book standard unless I am just staying overnight.

I am afraid of booking the main building..although its nicer, I don't want a room overlooking parking lots

Hisgirl - I'm not sure I can answer your questions in the way you are hoping, but for us, the lobby is the first place we sigh and say, "we're here!":cloud9: The landscaping is gorgeous, we are always amazed at how pretty it is in person, pictures don't do it justice.

We love b'fast at GFC, tea at the Tea Room, dinner at Citricos. As they change offerings frequently, it's hard to pinpoint one item from each to suggest.:)

As much as I do love the monorail resorts, we like AKL and I really think my niece would love it :goodvibes. I'm sorry your DH isn't a big WDW fan. My DH and DSs aren't into Disney as much as I am, but they do love going to WDW and we always have a great time. We also do a lot of resort time and not so much on the go park time, so that makes for more relaxing trips. We've taken two big family trips in the past (14 of us) to Orlando and rented a house each time and we had a blast (even with all 14 of us together :crowded:), so I know doing a Disney-centered trip and staying on property would be amazing....now just to get everyone else on board with everyone agreeing on the same resort :rolleyes1.

Your family trips sounds like so much fun.:goodvibes Good luck with your planning, have you thought about the Epcot resorts? Y&BC are a favorite with us, it seems like a great choice for a big family with SAB and the proximity of 2 parks. (haha, not to add to your dilemma!;) )

:yay::cool1::cheer2: We're excited for you! You are gonna love the resort.

Subscribing!!

I can't wait!!

yeah..I usually book what I want..rarely do I book standard unless I am just staying overnight.

I am afraid of booking the main building..although its nicer, I don't want a room overlooking parking lots

Congrats on your first GF stay!:cool1::cool1:

As trishadono posted, in our many WDW stays we have had only one upgrade, from garden view to lagoon view at the GF. She is right that they usually upgrade due to resort needs. (maintenance, overbooking in lower category, etc.) If you get upgraded regularly, kudos!:thumbsup2

There aren't any parking lot views at the Grand, main bldg. or otherwise. There are a few rooms in Big Pine Key that look into the back of the pool house, and a few on the end of Sago that overlook a CM area. If you book a std. main bldg. room, you will be overlooking the courtyard pool - or, possibly, the Beach Pool.:flower3:

these are awesome questions! but i have no real answers, lol! i honestly think that (and i bet i speak for a few of us) the resort as a whole is so amazing that you can't really pick it apart. it's the gestalt, the sum of the parts, that makes it what it is. i'd be curious to see if you agree when you return! :goodvibes

1. there was no single thing that made me stop in my tracks but i will never forget that my father was absolutely stopped in his tracks by the lobby... like, literally, jaw wide open, could barely walk, when he entered.

2. mizner's? :rolleyes1 we just love to do the shops over and over and over, love being in the ambience of the main building.

3. anything from victoria and albert's, but you will never be able to eat it more than once, lol. ;) at citricos i love the scallops. they are no longer on the menu but they will make them for you. i don't know if you are staying CL but it was those foods that completely haunted my dreams... the chips or flatbreads with the spinach artichoke dip, the scones, the baked brie, (the corn dogs- hanging head in shame), are just a few that i obsessed over!

4. the boat ride from the MK to the GF will definitely make you say that. the view of the GF from the water is breathtaking. i actually just realized last weekend that i have pics from back in 2006 before i ever thought i could ever possibly stay at the GF in my whole life, where i took tons of pics from the boat when we were headed to dinner there, because it was so gorgeous.

5. i think maybe the waterfall/ slide pool looks a little more cramped in person than it does in photos? but other than that, everything else was WAY better than i was picturing. :love:

I almost feel like putting a daily countdown up . . . But I won't LOL:dance3:

I could swear I asked this before and now I can't find it, maybe I did it in my dreams of the Grand Floridian . . . But which building has the best Theme Park Views? I think it was Boca Chica, but I am not sure . . .

Do you have a ritual for when you first arrive at the Grand? I am pretty sure I am just going to stand there with my mouth hanging open, but after that, what is the first thing you have to do at the Grand once you have checked in? :cheer2::goodvibes:goodvibes

You're going to have the best time.....Disney during the holidays is amazing and the GF is an awesome resort :goodvibes.

Subscribing!!

I can't wait!!

Congratulations on booking the GF......I think you chose a great resort for your DD's birthday princess:.

i honestly think that (and i bet i speak for a few of us) the resort as a whole is so amazing that you can't really pick it apart. it's the gestalt, the sum of the parts, that makes it what it is.

I agree :thumbsup2.

Your family trips sounds like so much fun.:goodvibes Good luck with your planning, have you thought about the Epcot resorts? Y&BC are a favorite with us, it seems like a great choice for a big family with SAB and the proximity of 2 parks. (haha, not to add to your dilemma!;) )

Thanks :goodvibes. The Epcot resorts did actually enter my mind. My family has stayed at the BC and while we loved the resort and loved being close to Epcot/DHS, we think the CS is too limited for what we like (and if I know my sister's kids, they will need good CS options very close by at the resort :rotfl::rotfl:). But I do think the Epcot resorts are great and I would love to try the YC and BWI, but I'm having a hard time convincing my two DSs to stay on that side again due to the CS issue :sad2:.

Do you have a ritual for when you first arrive at the Grand? I am pretty sure I am just going to stand there with my mouth hanging open, but after that, what is the first thing you have to do at the Grand once you have checked in? :cheer2::goodvibes:goodvibes

I don't know that I would call it a ritual per se, but I usually like to walk around the resort after checking in just taking in the beautiful surroundings. We don't usually hit a park right away, so we take our time getting settled and then relax at the resort from our travel time :cloud9:.

Hello everyone!

My family is staying at the Grand Floridian for the first time this February and we are very excited! We are booked in an outer building, garden view room and I was wondering if I should make a specific building request? My primary concern would be that we have a quiet room. We enjoy walking and will be taking a stroller so the distance from the main building and transportation should not be a problem. Thanks so much! :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts