HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
BlueSkies - LOL about being optimistic - I'm trying to stay positive!:teeth: I laughed about your wishing the bands were precious metal, too, so funny.

Thanks for the info about the monorail, such a headache. Thought I would add - it's quickest to grab a cab to any of the monorail resorts. Takes about 5 minutes to any of them and costs around $5 plus tip (maybe with tip, I can't be sure now). For a dinner res, much easier than planning to take a boat to MK, then other transport.:headache: Just a thought! ETA: I meant to say "MK area resorts", as most people could take the boat or walk to Poly, and I meant to include WL, too.

I bet you can visit VGF, I know you can walk into the villas at any of the other DVC resorts. Not sure about seeing the rooms, you may have to book a tour for that.

At first, I was a bit concerned about all our info attached to the band - hackers, etc. But after more details were posted, I am less concerned about that now. Apparently, they will use a coded number for the band, not the actual data - shouldn't be any more insecure than our key cards of old.

I thought the same thing about the bands and them not being safe as far as information, but I too have read that there wouldn't be actual data (i.e., personal info) on them ;).

I spoke to my sister this morning about our receiving an invite for the Magicbands, and she said, go for it...anything to cut our wait time..:cheer2:
So I guess I'm signing us up, but still have my doubts as to this choosing fastpasses ahead of time.

Good luck with the magic bands.....can't wait for you to report back on your experience :goodvibes.

MickeyNut It really is a very good promo...too good to pass up..With a little Disney logic and a lot of Disney math..There be could be another trip works! ;) :goodvibes

I agree.....getting 35% is great :thumbsup2. I wish (like everybody else...lol) that 40% was still around, but 35% is good too (although any discount is a bonus ;)). We've gone twice in March and rented a house each time (big family trips) and I would love to go again that time of year, but I'm working on my brother and SIL to plan a summer trip with my niece :rolleyes1. My SIL is a teacher so summer is the best for her and although June/July is very hot and humid, I'm dying to go with my niece (I already have her telling Daddy that she wants to go to Disney World to see Mickey :rotfl::rotfl:).....so we'll see if it works out :wizard:.

mousemommy Sorry that I forgot to mention this yesterday... thats what happens when I dont multiquote!!?? LOL...

Thanks for the GF research and the pics too!! :thumbsup2 I agree that VGF does blend very nicely with the original buildings...

:scratchin Did I notice that your ticker for your next trip says BWI?? LOL..what happened to GF SL??

MickeyNut Somehow I knew that your adorable little nieces first trip would include her Disney loving aunt!!! Love that you have been teaching her important things ..like telling her Daddy that she wants to go see Mickey!! LOL.. Happy planning..cause I know that you will be the family planner for that trip..Now lets see where will you be staying??? IDK..a princesses first trip..might have to be the GF! :goodvibes:

k&a&c'smom I think that taking a taxi if the monorail isnt available is a great option :thumbsup2..especially if you have certain time contraints...and it would definitely be more direct..didnt realize that it was only about $5..a Disney bargain!!! LOL.. ;) I have taken a taxi a time or two from the GF over to the BC..to make it to a dining ressie on time...:drive: but it was quite a bit more..maybe just under $20???

grannyminnie Sleeping in?? Or maybe busy ordering your MBs...?? :surfweb: Wondering ..did your book any dining for your upcomming trip at all?? We have some general faves at the GF..GFC..and this trip Narcoosees...Probably a minority..but not of 1900 PF... I think the CP has a much nicer character meal and atmosphere...dosent seem as hectic or noisy...LOL..:upsidedow You know its always about the food! LOL..

Good morning to all my fellow GF fans! Hope that you are having a nice day!:flower3:

mousemommy sorry that I forgot to mention this yesterday... thats what happens when I dont multiquote!!?? LOL...

Thanks for the GF research and the pics too!! :thumbsup2 I agree that VGF does blend very nicely with the original buildings...

:scratchin Did I notice that your ticker for your next trip says BWI?? LOL..what happened to GF SL??

k&a&c'smom I think that taking a taxi if the monorail isnt available is a great option :thumbsup2..especially if you have certain time contraints...and it would definitely be more direct..didnt realize that it was only about $5..a Disney bargain!!! LOL.. ;) I have taken a taxi a time or two from the GF over to the BC..to make it to a dining ressie on time...:drive: but it was quite a bit more..maybe just under $20???

grannyminnie Sleeping in?? Or maybe busy ordering your MBs...?? :surfweb: wondering ..did your book any dining at all?? We have some general faves at the GF..GFC..and this trip Narcoosees...Probably a minority..but not of 1900 PF... I think the CP has a much nicer character meal and atmosphere...doesent seem as hectic or noisy...LOL..:upsidedow

Good morning to all my fellow GF fans! Hope that you are relaxing day!:flower3:

Yeah, it says BWI....:rolleyes1

The only thing certain about that is that it's bound to change 145 times between now and August. I am an extreme resort changer. :rotfl:

The GF is a beautiful resort, no doubt. I do have fear about booking a monorail resort though, given the upcoming Poly DVC construction. As we know, construction at one of them can affect monorail service at the others, and it's just not a risk I want to take.

My DH is celebrating his birthday for our trip next August, so I let him choose. He has wanted BWI forever, and the kids love being able to walk to Epcot and DHS. Win~win. :goodvibes

mousemommy Sorry that I forgot to mention this yesterday... thats what happens when I dont multiquote!!?? LOL...

MickeyNut Somehow I knew that your adorable little nieces first trip would include her Disney loving aunt!!! Love that you have been teaching her important things ..like telling her Daddy that she wants to go see Mickey!! LOL.. Happy planning..cause I know that you will be the family planner for that trip..Now lets see where will you be staying??? IDK..a princesses first trip..might have to be the GF! :goodvibes:

grannyminnie Sleeping in?? Or maybe busy ordering your MBs...?? :surfweb: Wondering ..did your book any dining for your upcomming trip at all?? We have some general faves at the GF..GFC..and this trip Narcoosees...Probably a minority..but not of 1900 PF... I think the CP has a much nicer character meal and atmosphere...dosent seem as hectic or noisy...LOL..:upsidedow You know its always about the food! LOL..

Good morning to all my fellow GF fans! Hope that you are having a nice day!:flower3:

Hi Blue...I'm here now. No Magicbands ordering yet. My sister is not home and I assume (tho I haven't looked yet) that I will need her pass number to order hers.
As for dining, no, I have not made any ressies for that, but we have talked about trying Citricos for the first time. We don't care for 1900 Park Fare either, especially when compared to CP. It's our favorite buffet, I think. :lovestruc We also really enjoy the GF Cafe; you think we need ressies for that the first week of November? We really have not talked about food yet much! Can you believe it?? (for sure, always about the food! At least in my family.. :rotfl: )

You know me.....I have to teach her the important things in life :rotfl::rotfl:. Not sure if it will pan out and turn into a big family trip or not, but I'm gonna try my best. Of course taking her next summer means she will be free (won't turn 3 until December 2014), so that's one thing I'm using as leverage :rotfl2:....gotta love free ::yes::. Something tells me we will have a lot to talk about when the holidays roll around and everybody is together :rolleyes1.

Hi Blue...I'm here now. No Magicbands ordering yet. My sister is not home and I assume (tho I haven't looked yet) that I will need her pass number to order hers.
As for dining, no, I have not made any ressies for that, but we have talked about trying Citricos for the first time. We don't care for 1900 Park Fare either, especially when compared to CP. It's our favorite buffet, I think. :lovestruc We also really enjoy the GF Cafe; you think we need ressies for that the first week of November? We really have not talked about food yet much! Can you believe it?? (for sure, always about the food! At least in my family.. :rotfl: )

We don't care for 1900 PF either. We've done both breakfast and dinner a few times and although we loved the step sisters on our last trip, we didn't care for the food at all, so it's pretty much off of our list. I don't think you would need an ADR for GF Cafe or Citricos (just my opinion). CP, on the other hand, would probably require an ADR (if that's one you were wanting). It's all about the food for us too :laughing:....I love deciding where we're going to eat and can never wait for the day to make ADRs :hyper:.

Maxie86 - thanks for the update, I was just going to post that I vaguely remember you are supposed to be able to change your FP+ on the fly.:confused: If so, that will help with switching parks last minute, if they allow you to re-do all 3, and to a different park.

I've said the same about wearing a band all the time, I don't wear my watch much, especially in the summer. I hope they keep the ability to have a regular ticket, in case I can't get used to the bands. I'm going to give it a shot, maybe it won't bother me as much as I think it will.

I think I've said how much we loved using the new RFID system to enter the parks on our last trip! So easy. One of our biggest complaints at the parks was the amount of time it took to enter - especially at DHS, for some reason. This eliminates that problem, at least when we were there, so 4 big thumbs up from us! I hope the rest of the elements of NextGen are similar, when they get all the kinks worked out.:goodvibes

You can change your FP+ times, but I don't know if you can cancel all of them and reserve some in another park. I'm sure there will be lots of changes when the testing is finished and they go live so we won't really know until then what we will be able to do. I just hope we can get FP's the day of.

I also think that the RFID system is faster than the old one. I did have problems with my AP though. I upgraded to the new card for our May trip and every time we went to the MK it wouldn't let me in...had to have a CM check it out and scan it. I renewed my AP for our September trip and that one let me in the MK but not DHS. :confused3 So far I like the RFID system...the FP+ not so much. :rotfl2:

Yep, me too, on that spring planning...:thumbsup2 Not sure I can swing March, Blue, but we'll see...:) And re: your upcoming trip...I didn't realize that you would get to see the villas. Do you have to take a tour or can you just walk in and visit?

Hi Maxie! Good to "see" you! :wave: Hope your visit was "grand"!

I spoke to my sister this morning about our receiving an invite for the Magicbands, and she said, go for it...anything to cut our wait time..:cheer2:
So I guess I'm signing us up, but still have my doubts as to this choosing fastpasses ahead of time. I guess we'll just hope that the reports coming back to us here are positive! popcorn::

As for the actual bands, I have read on other threads that some people do not want to wear them for one reason or another. I can see how the heat would make them more uncomfortable. At least for now, we can still use the KTTW cards...

Thanks grannyminnie, we had a very nice trip but were at the BWI not the Grand this time.

Will be looking forward to a report on the magicbands when you get back.

Maxie86 Hey you!:hug: You know that I am working on Mr BlueSkies for those dates! :wizard:

I was just "talking" about your experiences on your recent visit to WDW with the new FP+ trials that were going on...

I would like those new MB a whole lots more if they were say.. made of a precious metal...LOL..and a little blinged! ;)

Keep working on Mr. BlueSkies. :goodvibes

I too would like the MB's much better if they were made of gold...might even wear one then. :rotfl2:

The only thing certain about that is that it's bound to change 145 times between now and August. I am an extreme resort changer. :rotfl:

The GF is a beautiful resort, no doubt. I do have fear about booking a monorail resort though, given the upcoming Poly DVC construction. As we know, construction at one of them can affect monorail service at the others, and it's just not a risk I want to take.

My DH is celebrating his birthday for our trip next August, so I let him choose. He has wanted BWI forever, and the kids love being able to walk to Epcot and DHS. Win~win. :goodvibes

We just got back from the BWI CL stay. I like the whole boardwalk area...Boardwalk Joe has the best margarita's. :thumbsup2 It is so nice to be able to walk out of Epcot after Illuminations and not have to fight the crowds at the front of the park.

The monorail service is not what it used to be...construction or no construction. You can't count on it anymore. We always rent a car and drive to the parks except the MK when staying at a monorail resort. We usually take the boat to the MK. I think we only used the monorail once on our May trip.

mickeynut, How fun to take your niece to WDW, hope you can convince your DB and SIL...looks like you already convinced your niece. ::yes::

mickeynut, How fun to take your niece to WDW, hope you can convince your DB and SIL...looks like you already convinced your niece. ::yes::

Yes, my niece is already being brainwashed :rotfl::rotfl:. She has numerous stuffed Minnie Mouse's along with quite a few outfits :rolleyes1. I told my SIL that if she doesn't like Disney/Minnie Mouse now, she eventually will :rotfl2:.

I was suprised to receive an invitation in yesterday's mail to do the Magicbands and Fastpass+, but I'm not sure I really want to or need to, considering how we vacation. (laid-back and little advance planning, if any) I know some of you have mentioned that you will do this, and some are saying they're confused about it. Can I hear your comments as to why you think it will or will not be helpful?

Oh, and happy Saturday to everyone~ (I beat you to the punch, Blue! :lmao:

For mine with Dh and I for 11/8-11 I did this. We are staying CL so I want to be at resort in afternoon poolside and there for tea and 5pm apps. So I thought what ride(s) do I really want??

Friday night I did Buzz5-6, TM 6-7(park closing early MVMCP). DH loves TM !

Saturday, RR5-6, TTM 6-7 and TOT 7-8. Park closes at 8. (it will be tight for 5-6 but Dh likes other 2 better and we can do that in January)

Sunday I did Epcot so 545-645 TT, 645-745 Soarin 745-845 SE.(only do if bored but F&W so prob skip) Soarin was a must do for DH

I am going to try rope drop and get on rides then and see if that works. It looked like FP's were available at 9am so not sure how long stand by lines will be. DH is not a big ride person so this will be a test for family trip in Jan.

We usually do one park for open and a different for night. SO Sat morning we will do Epcot and try Soarin and TT and then lunch at F&W then back to hotel and then evening plans.

Sunday morning we will do MK and prob do TM, HM, POC, maybe lunch at Kona Café or CC's.(need a poly visit)

SO I am planned but have lots of free time. I did the must do's at night because the lines then are always long. If get to park at rope drops something will be available.

Morning GF peeps!:wave:

Waiting for pics of VGF! Who is going to be there at opening? Only a few weeks now.

Love reading about everyone's plans for their upcoming trips!:goodvibes

BlueSkies - We, too, have paid nearly $20 for the ride from MK area to Epcot resort area. The cab ride to any MK area resort from another MK area resort is so short, and very little traffic, which makes it fairly inexpensive.

We prefer CP over 1900 PF, too. We had b'fast at 1900 a few years ago due to our newbie wanting to see those characters, hadn't been there in years. The food was OK, but we like the choices at CP. GFC is our go-to for b'fast and lunch, love that place!

Maxie86 - I get what you are saying regarding changing all FP+ choices to another park - it would be nice, but not sure it will happen. I know you are right, there will be tweaks to the system after all the testing. I'm looking forward to more reports in the coming weeks.

Reading trishadono's FP+ plans made me realize - we often do two parks in one day!:confused: I guess that means one of them will not get any FP+ choices, right? That may affect our future decisions regarding purchase of Park Hoppers.:scratchin

Sorry about the AP frustration with the RFID. We had regular passes this last trip, didn't think about the APs being different. I hope that all works out as time passes, too.

Maxie :drinking1 I seem to remember you making more than one stop to Boardwalk Joe's for pineapple margaritas on our last trip!!

I agree about the sometimes spotty monorail service..and we too use water launches more and more..

Good to know about being able to change FP+ times..??? I might be able to figure that out someday!!!!!!!!!! !;)

Haven't discussed dining yet? :eek: Get moving girl! Its always about the food!! ;)

While I do think that you are ok not making ressies for the GFC..I would recommend that you do make one for Citricos...I think that does book up...That will be on the must do for next trip...LOL...we always do that or Narcoosees...which also needs to be booked in advance...

Yes, my niece is already being brainwashed :rotfl::rotfl:. She has numerous stuffed Minnie Mouse's along with quite a few outfits :rolleyes1. I told my SIL that if she doesn't like Disney/Minnie Mouse now, she eventually will :rotfl2:.

You brainwashing your niece....who would have thought!!! :rolleyes1 Can you even count how many Mickey/Minnie things you have gotten her already!??

I really hope that you can work out a family trip...being there for her very first Disney trip will be extra special...:goodvibes

Morning GF peeps!:wave:

Waiting for pics of VGF! Who is going to be there at opening? Only a few weeks now.

I will be there Trisha Not staying at VGF ...but I will be staying at the GF!! Incase you were wondering??? :rotfl: I plan on visiting the property..wonder if they will be doing anything special that day?? I'll be sure to let you all know...

Thanks for sharing your touring plans...sounds like you have a nice blend of resort time and park time! :thumbsup2

Gotta make the birthday boy happy! :cake:

Well...good luck with all of the resort changing! :rainbow: LOL.. I stayed BWI CL for the very first time this past winter... was there with my Disney pal Maxie86 ..and as you can see she liked it so much she went back this fall... ( I liked it too..but I am the opposite of a resort changer..lol..and always just want to stay at the GF..LOL..)

I will be interested to see where you finally decide to stay! No matter where Im sure it will be a great trip! :thumbsup2

Hello to all of my fellow GF fans...Hope that you all have a magical Monday!! :wizard:

k&a&c'smom Could it be that we were posting at the same time!!!??? ;) :rotfl:

You have a very good point about how FP+ will affect the decision to visit two parks in a day...We do this some times too.... Morning in one park...some relaxing resort time..and then eveing in another park... I bet lots of other people tour that way too...It will be interesting to see what evolves...

k&a&c'smom Could it be that we were posting at the same time!!!??? ;) :rotfl:

You have a very good point about how FP+ will affect the decision to visit two parks in a day...We do this some times too.... Morning in one park...some relaxing resort time..and then eveing in another park... I bet lots of other people tour that way too...It will be interesting to see what evolves...

:rotfl: How does that keep happening?!;)

I'm hoping we get lots more FP+ info in the next few weeks. Note: Sorry to anyone looking for GF info for the OT discussion, I keep getting sidetracked by all the details.:teeth:

Can't wait for your report on the opening of VGF!:goodvibes

For mine with Dh and I for 11/8-11 I did this. We are staying CL so I want to be at resort in afternoon poolside and there for tea and 5pm apps. So I thought what ride(s) do I really want??

Friday night I did Buzz5-6, TM 6-7(park closing early MVMCP). DH loves TM !

Saturday, RR5-6, TTM 6-7 and TOT 7-8. Park closes at 8. (it will be tight for 5-6 but Dh likes other 2 better and we can do that in January)

Sunday I did Epcot so 545-645 TT, 645-745 Soarin 745-845 SE.(only do if bored but F&W so prob skip) Soarin was a must do for DH

I am going to try rope drop and get on rides then and see if that works. It looked like FP's were available at 9am so not sure how long stand by lines will be. DH is not a big ride person so this will be a test for family trip in Jan.

We usually do one park for open and a different for night. SO Sat morning we will do Epcot and try Soarin and TT and then lunch at F&W then back to hotel and then evening plans.

Sunday morning we will do MK and prob do TM, HM, POC, maybe lunch at Kona Café or CC's.(need a poly visit)

SO I am planned but have lots of free time. I did the must do's at night because the lines then are always long. If get to park at rope drops something will be available.

Wow, trishadono, I can see that you REALLY worked on those fastpasses!! :faint: Makes me tired! :rotfl: When my sister and I get our act together to make decisions, I hope we can agree on which 3 to choose, if we are indeed sure that you can only choose 3 attractions in a day...

Seems like alot of us enjoy CP more than we do 1900 Park Fare...and thanks Blue, for the suggestion that we make ressies for Citricos. Will do!

Hi friends:wave2: Hope everyone had a good day.

We like CP better than 1900 as well. To us, the food and service is better at CP. Ate there twice in July, 0 at 1900.

Maxie86 - Boston Strong! Go Red Sox!

A good questions about the FP+ if you can use them the same day in two parks. Would love to know the answer. Didn't think of that.

We like CP better than 1900 as well. To us, the food and service is better at CP. Ate there twice in July, 0 at 1900.

A good questions about the FP+ if you can use them the same day in two parks. Would love to know the answer. Didn't think of that.

CP? My cheat sheet is missing. Do you mind filling me in? :blush:

Hi MommyGina :wave:

I really enjoy all of the GFs dining options including Gasparilla's..with the exception of 1900 PF...I know that at dinner the step sisters are a hoot..But as we all seem to agree CP is the fave character meal /buffet by far...:thumbsup2

As for Maxie86..not only is she a Boston RS fan..she is a NY Yankee fan as well! She sure does love her sports! :lmao: ;) :eek: :rolleyes1

Mousemommy :teleport: I see there has been a little more resort changing going on!!!!!!!!! LOL....Maybe by trip time you will even be back at the GF!! :cloud9:

Granny You are very welcome! :goodvibes Good luck with the ressies! Hope that you get whatever you choose...

k&a&c Are you posting by any chance!!!??? lol...;) :goodvibes

MickeyNut Meant to ask you..do your DB and SIL have any resort preference...You know that I think that the princess' first Disney trip should be at the GF... I think I know what your suggestion would be...:scratchin Something with a bit more of a tropical theme?? LOL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!