HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I crazy or are there only four small dresser drawers? That can't be ? Please tell me I am missing something.

From what I think I can tell there are only 4 dresser drawers and the coffe maker is in the bathroom? I thought all the deluxe had that small pantry /closet area? I know poly/wl/cr are designed this way. This would be the deal breaker for me, 9 days with 4 people in the current room configuration would not work for us, perhaps the impending rehab will address this? :confused3 please correct me if I am wrong.

Oh my goodness, thank you all for the birthday wishes! I am so overwhelmed with gratitude today for such an amazing birthday and reading all the birthday wishes on this thread has me welling up again!

It has been an amazing day. Last night I had fabulous time with family and friends. The hotel sent me an awesome basket of goodies and chocolates (will post pics of all of this, I promise!). Today my BFF sent me flowers. We all slept in (last night may have been a little too much fun!), had a great breakfast at the lounge, then headed to MK. I cried as soon as I went through the gate and saw the "let the memories begin" sign. Then, I cried again when I saw the castle, just so amazed and thankful to be there on my bday. The "move it shake it celebrate it" parade was just going down main street and most of the performers wished me a happy birthday on their way past me. I just blubbered like a baby. Later in the store in toontown, the cm in the candy place said it was also her birthday today, and she asked me to pick out whatever I wanted for free. You used it- cried again, lol. We ended our time at MK with splash mountain, my favorite ride, and rode the boat back to the resort for snacks and scones!

Thank you all again, it was so sweet to get those birthday wishes! I feel like the luckiest girl in the world right now.

Oh my goodness, thank you all for the birthday wishes! I am so overwhelmed with gratitude today for such an amazing birthday and reading all the birthday wishes on this thread has me welling up again!

It has been an amazing day. Last night I had fabulous time with family and friends. The hotel sent me an awesome basket of goodies and chocolates (will post pics of all of this, I promise!). Today my BFF sent me flowers. We all slept in (last night may have been a little too much fun!), had a great breakfast at the lounge, then headed to MK. I cried as soon as I went through the gate and saw the "let the memories begin" sign. Then, I cried again when I saw the castle, just so amazed and thankful to be there on my bday. The "move it shake it celebrate it" parade was just going down main street and most of the performers wished me a happy birthday on their way past me. I just blubbered like a baby. Later in the store in toontown, the cm in the candy place said it was also her birthday today, and she asked me to pick out whatever I wanted for free. You used it- cried again, lol. We ended our time at MK with splash mountain, my favorite ride, and rode the boat back to the resort for snacks and scones!

Thank you all again, it was so sweet to get those birthday wishes! I feel like the luckiest girl in the world right now.
What a great day ,,, thanks for sharing! Have fun

:cloud9: what a great birthday!

From what I think I can tell there are only 4 dresser drawers and the coffe maker is in the bathroom? I thought all the deluxe had that small pantry /closet area? I know poly/wl/cr are designed this way. This would be the deal breaker for me, 9 days with 4 people in the current room configuration would not work for us, perhaps the impending rehab will address this? :confused3 please correct me if I am wrong.

Checked my video of room from last trip and you are correct. However the closet area at GF is bigger and I think it had some shelving in there too.

It was more private with sink area separated from room and bath area. Made it feel like 3 different spaces. You can move coffee maker to desk if that helps.

Rehab would probably not make a difference either.

You do get a balcony so that helps with space.

Good luck deciding, it is hard sometimes.

bethclayton - thanks so much for sharing your joy with us.:grouphug: What a wonderful birthday you are having, here's hoping the rest of your stay is just as magical.pixiedust:

k&a&c'smom Reworking the links...:thumbsup2 Hope that you didn't move the map!!???? :confused3 LOL..don't want any confusion.. ;) We are at the same young adult stage..and it has taken some getting used too... But I will admit...DH and I do enjoy the peace and quiet some times! and those adult only trips to WDW...my DH is not quite the fan that I am a big ~sigh~ here too....but my DD is always willing to be my travel buddy..(when her schedule permits that is..)...

I have been checking summer 2014 dates..yet again....:blush: and there are no SL rooms showing availibility in June and still no RPC ones in July.. so it is looking like there must be refurbs going on then....

LOL! No moving the map, don't worry.;)

Awesome your DH will accompany you to WDW. I wish I could convince mine that it isn't the same old commando trips he remembers from when the kids were little.:laughing: DD and I take it easy now, we even go a day or more with no parks at all.

Wonder why people are having trouble pulling up CL rooms for next year? Someone mentioned not being able to find them in April or May, either.:scratchin

:blush: Ok...after all of my teasing... I see the link to the aerial map of the GF...but..I do not see the general map??? Hmmmm.... :upsidedow :p :scratchin

:laughing: It's not a link, at the bottom, but a full map at the top of the page! Right under the blurb about the resort.

I know there were rumors going around about refurb at GF....do you know if it supposed to just be a soft goods refurb? That would be exciting to get a new room in August at Sugarloaf! :p

Everything I've heard is soft goods only, but plans are always subject to change with Disney.

I told my husband this very idea yesterday!

We took our oldest DS to college Wednesday (miss him). I suggested to DH that, in four years, after third son has his move to college day we should be leaving for the Grand the very next day! He said great idea!

Imagine the care package you can put together for your daughter on your weekend trip :)

The next day - what a fab idea!!:thumbsup2

The new Vera Disney bags will be in so I will definitely get one for her.

I booked us at GF/VGF January 1-5 so we can have a few days to re-bond with each other. DS and DD really spend more actual time together at Disney vs anything else.(no friends getting in the way)

I got annual passes this year and really have been packing in the trips:rotfl:

Hopefully your DS will call/keep in touch:) Boys don't usually do as much as girls. I think my son could go a month without talking to me yet dd and are bff's.

Hang in there. I have been told by end of Christmas break we are ready for them to leave again:rotfl2:

Not for us - I'm never ready for my kids to leave.:sad:

Good news about the Vera Disney bags, I may have to break down and buy souvenirs next trip.;) We tend to spend our extra on dinners and special events, rather than stuff - but I do get lured in by handbags.:teeth:

Are there any pics of Tpv from an outer building? I can't seem to find any. Just a few from the main building, we would prefer being closer to the water.

There are, I'll try to find them for you soon.

We are staying at GF for the first time in November. I am so looking forward to it. It's been my dream to stay here. I had originally booked the Poly as DH wanted to stay there; but with the upcoming construction, we decided to switch resorts. DH isn't too thrilled about GF either. Although, I must admit that I'm not overly thrilled with the room decor (bedspreads). I hope it's prettier in person.

Congrats on your first GF stay! I think you will love the Grand.:cloud9: Yes, I find the decor much prettier in person, though I'm not in love with the bedspread choice - I still miss the old whimsical Disney decor. Rumor is we'll find duvets in the room after the next refurb (I'm not a fan of plain white duvets, either, so I can't win, lol).

Am I crazy or are there only four small dresser drawers? That can't be ? Please tell me I am missing something.

Yep, 4 dresser drawers.~sigh~ I don't know why they chose to do this in the last renovation; make room for the desk, I guess. We make do by hanging nearly everything and assigning one drawer to each person for socks, etc. I know many GF lovers use the shelves in the large closet for folded clothes, and some bring along those collapsible shoe hangers.

The coffee maker is in the dressing area, not the bathroom. These areas are separate at the Grand.

There are no plans to change the layout of the rooms in the upcoming refurb, I'm sure. That would entail a lot of structural work - might not even be possible, load bearing walls and all. ??

I think I overlooked the dressing area ? Perhaps they will just reconfigure closet space and get a real dresser?

I think I overlooked the dressing area ? Perhaps they will just reconfigure closet space and get a real dresser?

I doubt it, but anything is possible!:teeth: To be honest, I kind of hope they don't. Much as I love the extra dresser in Y&BC, I do NOT like the way they made the closet/fridge area in the Poly. I'd hate to see that happen to my beloved GF.;)

In most of the rooms (maybe not dormers?), I think they could add a slender tallboy dresser between the desk and closet wall.

IMG_0074.jpg

Of course, in some rooms the connecting door is here, so that won't work. If they at least put some cubbies under the sink area, it would help.

IMG_0077.jpg

Or, move the hamper and add a short dresser under the towel rod.

Some pics, as I sit in the lounge taking in the music. :)

Panoramic view from one of the balconies in the LR
1C6C1C16-3E88-47AF-AD2E-3260BD63D25B-9872-000002AF88B320FF.jpg

The goodies they sent me. If you look closely the little chocolates have GF stamps on them

591C658B-EB8E-4982-B84E-9B17491564AA-9872-000002AF4F3D2427.jpg

Another view of the LR

9BE0F662-DFD9-4194-8F67-9E4ACDF39A68-9872-000002AFE17018E6.jpg

View of foyer from LR facing doors to hallway

23CA36AD-2386-40EA-BFD5-B3E330310FE0-9872-000002B05C7157B1.jpg

Sitting area directly outside our room. Different elevator just to the left of the door- takes you down right near gasparilla's.

A53AFC14-709D-423D-A7CC-F10A1642742F-9872-000002B02006E26D.jpg

Flowers in the room with the jacuzzi. ALL the flowers you see in every room are FRESH flowers. It was actually my friend that pointed that out to me. So even these beauties are real fresh flowers!

4C6582CB-62E1-4B53-AA18-D4E577344BDB-9872-000002B0FCFB38F9.jpg

Are all CL rooms at Grand able to use both CL lounges, or are SL restricted to that bldg's lounge and likewise at RPC? Thanks! And.... I am really enjoying the new thread and all of the great stories and pictures!

Panoramic view from one of the balconies in the LR
1C6C1C16-3E88-47AF-AD2E-3260BD63D25B-9872-000002AF88B320FF.jpg

The goodies they sent me. If you look closely the little chocolates have GF stamps on them

591C658B-EB8E-4982-B84E-9B17491564AA-9872-000002AF4F3D2427.jpg

Another view of the LR

9BE0F662-DFD9-4194-8F67-9E4ACDF39A68-9872-000002AFE17018E6.jpg

View of foyer from LR facing doors to hallway

23CA36AD-2386-40EA-BFD5-B3E330310FE0-9872-000002B05C7157B1.jpg

Sitting area directly outside our room. Different elevator just to the left of the door- takes you down right near gasparilla's.

A53AFC14-709D-423D-A7CC-F10A1642742F-9872-000002B02006E26D.jpg

Flowers in the room with the jacuzzi. ALL the flowers you see in every room are FRESH flowers. It was actually my friend that pointed that out to me. So even these beauties are real fresh flowers!

4C6582CB-62E1-4B53-AA18-D4E577344BDB-9872-000002B0FCFB38F9.jpg

Thanks for sharing the magic:yay:

I am looking forward to staying at the GF next year!! Never thought I would be excited to stay here or even consider staying here but I am soooo excited now! My girls really want to stay here!

Just wondering if there are any plans to do any room refurbs here soon??

Thanks for the photos, what a beautiful suite.:cloud9: Aren't all the fresh flowers wonderful?! We've noticed them in other suites (we've toured, haven't stayed in any, lol).

Nice basket, too, cute about the GF chocolates.

Are all CL rooms at Grand able to use both CL lounges, or are SL restricted to that bldg's lounge and likewise at RPC? Thanks! And.... I am really enjoying the new thread and all of the great stories and pictures!

Each CL lounge is for that level of club guests. If not, why would anyone pay the huge extra fee for RPC?!;)

Glad you are enjoying the thread.:goodvibes

I am looking forward to staying at the GF next year!! Never thought I would be excited to stay here or even consider staying here but I am soooo excited now! My girls really want to stay here!

Just wondering if there are any plans to do any room refurbs here soon??

First stay at the Grand, exciting!:dance3:

Rumor has it they will start a room renovation as soon as the Poly rooms are finished - probably late this year or early next.

Bethclayton those pictures are amazing!! So happy you are having the best time ever :). What type of room did you have booked originally?

All this talk about kids going to college makes me sad!! Mine are small an sometimes I catch myself trying to rush them through it all, an I will say to dh. Someday we are going to wish for this to come back. Hugs to all the mommies sending their babies to college this week!!

Bethclayton those pictures are amazing!! So happy you are having the best time ever :). What type of room did you have booked originally?

All this talk about kids going to college makes me sad!! Mine are small an sometimes I catch myself trying to rush them through it all, an I will say to dh. Someday we are going to wish for this to come back. Hugs to all the mommies sending their babies to college this week!!

Thanks! Enjoy your kids , it goes by so fast once they hit high school.

Thanks! I am excited to be on these boards!!

question....what does it mean when it says soft goods refurbishment??

As our trip gets closer i will have lots of questions!!

I am super excited to stay at Grand Floridian this November! We are staying on a 2 bedroom in the new Villas. I can't wait to see the rooms! We have not stayed at Grand Floridian since our honeymoon 13 years ago and our kids have never stayed there. So excited!:banana::banana:

Belated Happy Birthday! How lucky to be there in your happy place on your special day...and to be "pixie-dusted" so hugely!! :wizard:
I just love the Disney magic! :love:

Thanks! I am excited to be on these boards!!

question....what does it mean when it says soft goods refurbishment??

As our trip gets closer i will have lots of questions!!

Usually, it means stuff like bedding, curtains and sometimes carpet...so all of the "soft" goods in the room, that are subject to wear and tear. I wouldn't be surprised if GF goes to the triple sheet or duvet look. :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter