• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you ever experienced anything neg at WDW?

Valley Twin, Sith Lord is right that that is an adorable story; but you are braver than I am to get on an airplane without knowing where it is going. I think paranoia would have set in and that I might start thinking "Just how well do I know this person? Has he ever done anything that I consider sinister?" People can lie to me, and I will believe them until I see evidence that they are lying. Let them withhold informaton from me, and I can go into total freakout.

Alas, I am single :/, but ive never seen anything go down in the parks. It surprises me that there have been incidents in DL. I was there in August for the D23 Expo and saw numerous gay couples holding hands at DL and DCA. No one seemed to even notice, except for me who was thrilled beyond belief!

It is so great to hear that there was alot of hand holding! I love that!

MovedbytheMouse said:
My husband and I have visited WDW several times over the past few years and, as new residents of southern California, Disneyland has become our home away from home. (We'll be there later today, in fact!) We have only experienced negativity regarding our sexuality once in a Disney park a few years ago when we were confronted in line for the Jungle Cruise.

I wrote about the encounter in my blog if you are interested in details. I haven't posted ten times yet, so I can't post a link, but if you Google "moved by the mouse it can be a jungle out there", it should be the first search result.

Long story short, these types of things can either ruin your experience or make you appreciative of the wonderful, welcoming, and kind people that are roar more prevalent on Disney property. I chose the latter and am glad I did. Not allowing some ignorant jerk to spoil your trip takes the power away from them. You deserve to be able to be yourself and enjoy every moment of the magic.

Beautifull story! Loved it!

Negativity doesn't go very far in WDW. Your always a few steps away from a different land with an instant change in atmosphere. I get looks if I'm wandering around in a red shirt alone in WDW but I would get that anywhere.

My only time in WDW I was completely offended is when a person was sitting just outside the doors to Gasparilla, lit up a huge stinking cigar while we were enjoying our lunch. I mentioned it loudly how awful the smoke was and he responded rudely that smoking was permitted there. I then looked that area up on the map and it was a smoking area. I couldn't believe Disney would allow smoking there, inside the GF grounds at an outdoor eating area in perfect view of the Castle. I felt bad that I offended that person.

I'm usually way too busy enjoying the park to notice any negativity in the parks.

My wife and I went to WDW for the first time in November and didn't have any negative experiences. And I do tend to be more for being a tad affectionate. We held hands most days throughout the park and on occasion I'd peck her cheek or something. In fact, I think my wife had a bigger problem with it than anyone because she was worried about parents getting unhappy.

Which leads back to another story, where at an amusement park where I work in Michigan, we were riding the train together and we'd been first in line so that we could ride in the back (which faces the opposite direction) and sneak a few kisses because we have a long distance relationship and hadn't seen each other in a while. But this bratty 10 year old kid from behind us goes running to the end of the rain, despite the fact that we had been talking like the whole time we were standing there about sitting in the back, and his parents do nothing to stop him. So while we were going through the tunnel (which is dark but not all back) we stole a peck, and the parents of the bratty 10 year old start complaining about how disgusting that is and how they don't want to see that and blah blah blah. Worse, when we got off there was like a girl who jumped on her boyfriend and full out makeout and those same parents didn't make a comment at all.

I am relatively new at being out, only a little over two years, after being married to a woman for 25 years. Last year was my first trip to Disney with my partner. We spent the day at DTD and then dinner with another couple at Boma. I was a probably on alert for anything negative, but had no such experiences. We spent the following week on the Disney Magic, which I have cruised as a traditional family man 8 times before. Had an amazing time, and not the slightest weirdness, and we were seated at a table by ourselves. On formal night our server had set our places next to each other at the table, facing out. He told us that would make nicer photos when the photographer came by.

We also had a couples massage in the spa, at the end your eyes are covered with a soothing cloth and they placed our hands in each others before leaving us alone for few minutes.

Just got back last week from a day in the Magic Kingdom in WDW, again, not the slightest issue. Sailed the Disney Fantasy and the only thing, which was amusing and not at all offensive was that we met our lovely stateroom hostess right after being able to access our staterooms. She introduced herself and we introduced ourselves. She said, "It's just the two of you, yes?" and We said yes, and she asked if we needed the other bed made up at night. We said no, and that was that.

I don't think anyone is being offensive when they ask, they just need to make sure they are doing the right thing. After all customers tend to fly off the handle when you don't do things just right.

I think Disney is one of the greatest places for all people, and can't wait to get back next year!

I am relatively new at being out, only a little over two years, after being married to a woman for 25 years. Last year was my first trip to Disney with my partner. We spent the day at DTD and then dinner with another couple at Boma. I was a probably on alert for anything negative, but had no such experiences. We spent the following week on the Disney Magic, which I have cruised as a traditional family man 8 times before. Had an amazing time, and not the slightest weirdness, and we were seated at a table by ourselves. On formal night our server had set our places next to each other at the table, facing out. He told us that would make nicer photos when the photographer came by.

We also had a couples massage in the spa, at the end your eyes are covered with a soothing cloth and they placed our hands in each others before leaving us alone for few minutes.

Just got back last week from a day in the Magic Kingdom in WDW, again, not the slightest issue. Sailed the Disney Fantasy and the only thing, which was amusing and not at all offensive was that we met our lovely stateroom hostess right after being able to access our staterooms. She introduced herself and we introduced ourselves. She said, "It's just the two of you, yes?" and We said yes, and she asked if we needed the other bed made up at night. We said no, and that was that.

I don't think anyone is being offensive when they ask, they just need to make sure they are doing the right thing. After all customers tend to fly off the handle when you don't do things just right.

I think Disney is one of the greatest places for all people, and can't wait to get back next year!

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

I have a question about your cruise experience. Did you have to ask to be seated alone at a table for two? Or is that something they do for couples automatically but might not do if they weren't sure if you were just 2 friends or a couple? Just wondering as we have never taken a cruise but are thinking about it. We aren't keen on the idea of sitting at a table with strangers, in part because of our less traditional relationship and concerns about offending people or even having to explain ourselves.

I have a question about your cruise experience. Did you have to ask to be seated alone at a table for two? Or is that something they do for couples automatically but might not do if they weren't sure if you were just 2 friends or a couple? Just wondering as we have never taken a cruise but are thinking about it. We aren't keen on the idea of sitting at a table with strangers, in part because of our less traditional relationship and concerns about offending people or even having to explain ourselves.

Actually on that cruise, we didn't make any request, we just ended up being at a table for two. Not sure how that happened. We had met another couple on line and they had early seating and were at a table with I think four other people. So I think our table for two was just the luck of the draw. They don't do this just because you are a couple.

We wouldn't mind being seated with others. We are confident in who we are and enjoy meeting new people, so it wouldn't matter to us. We'll see what happens next year on our cruise.

However, if you take a cruise, you can always make the request and will usually get it.

I just wanted to say thank you for posting this, my wife and I have been planning our dream honeymoon to Walt Disney world, for over a year, yes we have been married for almost a year.

And we were really nervous about going down to Florida and being there together, with fear of nonacceptance, or just not feeling welcome, in WDW, as Florida doesn't seem to have a great GLTB friendly stance. Don't get mad at me for saying this... I am from the West Coast of Canada and I have had friends who had horror stories from cruises down in Florida...

My point is, we time and read through this entire forum, and I just wanted to say thank you.

A BIG THANK YOU.

This really, calmed me down with the idea that it will be okay to be us, down there.
We are finally going on our honeymoon, over our 1 year anni, and we have saved and planned this for so long, that I feel, and I know she does too, that it is going to be epic-ally awesome.

So thank you again, for sharing your stories and relieving some travel stress and worry.

Hugs to you all!

TNS_Tinkerbell said:
I just wanted to say thank you for posting this, my wife and I have been planning our dream honeymoon to Walt Disney world, for over a year, yes we have been married for almost a year.

And we were really nervous about going down to Florida and being there together, with fear of nonacceptance, or just not feeling welcome, in WDW, as Florida doesn't seem to have a great GLTB friendly stance. Don't get mad at me for saying this... I am from the West Coast of Canada and I have had friends who had horror stories from cruises down in Florida...

My point is, we time and read through this entire forum, and I just wanted to say thank you.

A BIG THANK YOU.

This really, calmed me down with the idea that it will be okay to be us, down there.
We are finally going on our honeymoon, over our 1 year anni, and we have saved and planned this for so long, that I feel, and I know she does too, that it is going to be epic-ally awesome.

So thank you again, for sharing your stories and relieving some travel stress and worry.

Hugs to you all!

Florida may not be very gay friendly but Disney World really is its own little world. 3 and a half years ago my wife and I not only had our honeymoon a Disney, we got married there. Disney World totally gay friendly and cast members went out of their way to make a little extra magic for our honeymoon. So go and enjoy yourself and have a wonderful time!

Nothing really negative, CM's just kept calling my partner my son :lmao:

For example, "Would your son like a sticker?"
"Do you need a childrens menu for your son?"

She's in her 30's people :rolleyes2

Seriously? They asked if your 30 year old partner needed a children's menu? :cool1: She's rocking some serious youthful vibes!

We've been to WDW during Gay Days before. I never once saw any bad behavior towards openly gay couples.

(We're a hetero family. We were there for SWW. It just worked out that we were in many of the same parks as the designated Gay Days.)

I'm a straight married woman and to be honest, I think my whole family would rather go during Gay Days. I think the people would be a whole lot more fun to be around. Not so uptight lol!

I did something like that as a table server. This has nothing to do with Disney World because this was before I was hired there, but I had someone whom I thought was a kid want to order an alcoholic beverage. I told her that the law required for her to be 21. She told me that she was 22, which I did not think possible since she looked so young that I had been about to offer her a children's menu. It is a good thing that I didn't since she was indeed 22 while the kiddos' menu was for people no more than 12 years old. The woman was a not only youthful but a midget. Which leads me to ask you, is your partner by any chance small? I was so embarassed by my assumption about my own small young adult customer, but her companion told me that mine was a pretty typical reaction.

I did something like that as a table server. This has nothing to do with Disney World because this was before I was hired there, but I had someone whom I thought was a kid want to order an alcoholic beverage. I told her that the law required for her to be 21. She told me that she was 22, which I did not think possible since she looked so young that I had been about to offer her a children's menu. It is a good thing that I didn't since she was indeed 22 while the kiddos' menu was for people no more than 12 years old. The woman was a not only youthful but a midget. Which leads me to ask you, is your partner by any chance small? I was so embarassed by my assumption about my own small young adult customer, but her companion told me that mine was a pretty typical reaction.

LOL! No, she's got me by 3 inches! It just so happens my partner looks like a 14 year old boy. :rotfl:

Florida may not be very gay friendly but Disney World really is its own little world. 3 and a half years ago my wife and I not only had our honeymoon a Disney, we got married there. Disney World totally gay friendly and cast members went out of their way to make a little extra magic for our honeymoon. So go and enjoy yourself and have a wonderful time!

How were your experiences with having your wedding at WDW? We are planning ours for may 2014. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter