Have you ever experienced anything neg at WDW?

My first post in the forum!

Not really negative, but there was this situation where me and my partner were eating at Backlot Express at DHS, and a family father was listening very carefully to us talking about everything and nothing. Later we went to the restrooms to wash our hands, and when my boyfriend was ready to leave the restroom, he said to me "Let's go sweetie" - the family father was also in the restroom, and he replied loudly "OH COME ON!"

We both found it more hilarious than annoying.

I can't imagine many people at Disney World getting ugly with anyone just for being gay. While I was warned before arriving here from San Francisco that Florida was verrrry conservative, pretty much everyone whom I have met here in Orlando over the past nearly 14 months seems content to mind their own business regarding other people's orientation.

I am interested in promoting Orlando in general as a gay destination, although I would have to do it as something of a hobby since I am not a travel agent and do work full time, or nearly full time in the off-season, at another job. I also see Orlando as having strong possibilities with heterosexual women in the market for the popular girlfriends' getaway vacations since there is a strong arts community here for a city of its size.

I'll be going to Disney for the very first time in November (soooo excited), along with my wife and my aunt and uncle. I'm very glad to see most everybody who commented in here have experienced nothing but positive encounters :)

And after some of the looks we got on our honeymoon (which was nowhere near DW, it was in Dominican Republic) it'll be great to have people not stare at you in surprise when you tell them "No, we're not related, we're married" :rotfl: We do get the sisters comment a lot. Cousins has happened once in a while, and while we were on our honeymoon, we got asked not once, but twice if we were mother and daughter! I'm only four years older than she is, though she does look like a teen still.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to sharing the most magical place on Earth with the person I love most ^^ and I'll definitely be looking to get one of those rainbow Mickey pins - it'll go nicely with my 1st Visit button!

Was bored and perusing threads so wandered over to see what my bros/sisters were chatting about. My partner and I have been to WDW several times with absolutely no problems. It's one of the reasons we keep it on the vacation list....not only can we relax, but we can support progressive companies with our dollars.

I certainly haven't had any issues with cast members. A ton of family works there along with international folks who are either more progressive than the US or just clueless:rotfl: I would bet they have diversity training and probably know that the LGBTQ community can be loyal customers if treated well.

In terms of other visitors, we usually visit during quieter times, so there aren't tons of people around. And most are into themselves anyway. Who cares. We're on vacation for us, not them.

Go. Have a great time.

I went down with my girlfriend in December, as part of a high school class trip. Granted, because we're only teenagers, I'm not going to deny that there was some PDA:blush: But we never encountered any problems with Cast Members or guests, In fact when we were on Kali River Rapids a father asked us if we were friends or sisters; I blushed and stammered something while my girlfriend took my hand and simply stated "She's my girlfriend". HE smiled and laughed and said his sister was gay, and that he was glad to see us unafraid to be who we are!:)

I love this thread! When my daughter came out at 15, it meant so much to know our happy place was also family friendly. Our first trip after she was officially out, we really noticed more and more family, because we were on the lookout. Now she is 18, and this fall, I'm taking both my daughters and my one daughter's girlfriend (of one year, yay!) to Disney. They will get some alone time one night in Epcot (the most romantic place in WDW) while my other daughter and I go to a concert at the Hard Rock in Universal. They are over the moon excited! It means a lot as the mother of a lesbian to have others treat her with dignity and respect. The rest of the world is catching up...:grouphug:

I love this thread! When my daughter came out at 15, it meant so much to know our happy place was also family friendly. Our first trip after she was officially out, we really noticed more and more family, because we were on the lookout. Now she is 18, and this fall, I'm taking both my daughters and my one daughter's girlfriend (of one year, yay!) to Disney. They will get some alone time one night in Epcot (the most romantic place in WDW) while my other daughter and I go to a concert at the Hard Rock in Universal. They are over the moon excited! It means a lot as the mother of a lesbian to have others treat her with dignity and respect. The rest of the world is catching up...:grouphug:

Oh definitely this. My daughter just came out in January (she's also 15), and we're going together next Saturday. She's not out to my family yet, which is who we're going with, but we plan to ditch them most of the time anyway. I'm not sure I'm okay with her having "alone time" with anyone just yet, but that's because she's 15, wouldn't matter the gender of her partner. Not sure if I'll be okay with that at 18 either, hell, not sure if I'll ever be okay with it, even after she's married and has kids of her own. She is my baby after all.

My husband and I have visited WDW several times over the past few years and, as new residents of southern California, Disneyland has become our home away from home. (We'll be there later today, in fact!) We have only experienced negativity regarding our sexuality once in a Disney park a few years ago when we were confronted in line for the Jungle Cruise.

I wrote about the encounter in my blog if you are interested in details. I haven't posted ten times yet, so I can't post a link, but if you Google "moved by the mouse it can be a jungle out there", it should be the first search result.

Long story short, these types of things can either ruin your experience or make you appreciative of the wonderful, welcoming, and kind people that are roar more prevalent on Disney property. I chose the latter and am glad I did. Not allowing some ignorant jerk to spoil your trip takes the power away from them. You deserve to be able to be yourself and enjoy every moment of the magic.

Actually, Joe had to remind me of one moment two years ago while checking in that a cast member made a little joke about not putting us in a room with a king size bed. Apparently she thought we were buddies just traveling together. I tried to make light of the situation and assured her that request was indeed valid. I laughed but did feel a little burn of embarrassment. Certainly not enough to make me think poorly of the girl, nor enough to insult us in any way.

Now that would be awkward!!! I am a straight, married woman and had a similar incident happen to me.

I had stayed in a room with an Army buddy in LA and the clerk assumed we were a couple. We missed our connecting flight to Korea which was the last of the day.

The USO put us up for the night and we agreed to save THEM money by sharing a room. The clerk at the hotel (not the USO-DODT was still in force at that time) said she would put us in a single room with a double bed 'If that was okay'?? If not, she would check for a king size bed!! LOL....we were flattered and simply stated we need two double beds.

Maybe it was just an LA thing...Oh, and that was my first and only experience with an earthquake!!!

We see several gay and lesbian couples at Disney and why not share in the happiness of the place with everyone. There are several different folks of ethinicities, inter-racial couples, young adults in large groups, the Trek-ies, old couples, young couples, singles, and several different religious folks there!!

We just finished a four night on the Dream and there was a minister that insisted upon wearing his collar at dinner, several Islamic women in traditional coverings, Jewish men with their full beards and those that dress with barely anything!!!

Those that do have a problem and keep their comments to themselves deserve a kudos and those that want to make a scene should be sent to the Evil Queen!!!!...off with their heads!!!

Encourage them to go. Have fun and marvel in the fun and excitement of Disney!!!

:wizard:

I had a friend bring up how it must be weird for me at Disney because it's a family oriented place. I told her I never felt as accepted as I did when at Disney. You feel loved no matter what.. It's so magical. One time a CM even offered to take pictures for my gf and me because we needed a classic kiss in front of the castle picture. Many of the cast members are family anyway.

I had a friend bring up how it must be weird for me at Disney because it's a family oriented place. I told her I never felt as accepted as I did when at Disney. You feel loved no matter what.. It's so magical. One time a CM even offered to take pictures for my gf and me because we needed a classic kiss in front of the castle picture. Many of the cast members are family anyway.

Well it's a family-oriented place and a family-oriented place, all at the same time, and so it should be. Welcoming to everyone, if only more places were like that.

Alas, I am single :/, but ive never seen anything go down in the parks. It surprises me that there have been incidents in DL. I was there in August for the D23 Expo and saw numerous gay couples holding hands at DL and DCA. No one seemed to even notice, except for me who was thrilled beyond belief!

My husband and I have visited WDW several times over the past few years and, as new residents of southern California, Disneyland has become our home away from home. (We'll be there later today, in fact!) We have only experienced negativity regarding our sexuality once in a Disney park a few years ago when we were confronted in line for the Jungle Cruise.

I wrote about the encounter in my blog if you are interested in details. I haven't posted ten times yet, so I can't post a link, but if you Google "moved by the mouse it can be a jungle out there", it should be the first search result.

Long story short, these types of things can either ruin your experience or make you appreciative of the wonderful, welcoming, and kind people that are roar more prevalent on Disney property. I chose the latter and am glad I did. Not allowing some ignorant jerk to spoil your trip takes the power away from them. You deserve to be able to be yourself and enjoy every moment of the magic.

I just read your blog post. You handled it so well...and you got pixie dust in return! I plan to share it with my daughter. Thanks and congratulations on your marriage!

Oh definitely this. My daughter just came out in January (she's also 15), and we're going together next Saturday. She's not out to my family yet, which is who we're going with, but we plan to ditch them most of the time anyway. I'm not sure I'm okay with her having "alone time" with anyone just yet, but that's because she's 15, wouldn't matter the gender of her partner. Not sure if I'll be okay with that at 18 either, hell, not sure if I'll ever be okay with it, even after she's married and has kids of her own. She is my baby after all.

Have you looked into PFLAG? They are so helpful. I've learned a lot these past 3 yrs., on my own too. There are plenty of good books and blogs written to help you learn and understand more as a parent of an LGBT teen. Let me know if you would like some recommendations. Best wishes...

To the two parents (and everyone else who may be) with the gay children who have posted: I really just want to say thank you on behalf of every glbt child who is struggling to tell their parent. When I came out to mine, I was thrown out of my house, told I was no longer their (only) child, and was left completely alone. It's good to know that more kids are having the support of their parents so the cycle of hate can be broken.

Back on topic, I've never had a problem with being out and at Disney.

Beautiful blog post. My husband and I have been to the World three times for day trips over our 14 years together - always while visiting family in Florida. We're going for a week by ourselves in October of this year for our first on-property stay as a belated honeymoon/early anniversary. (We were married in March in Provincetown.) We've never had any problems at all on any of our trips.

My best date was to DisneyLand about 20 years ago. I was dating a flight attendant and he told me that we were going to a friend's party and would be there pretty late so I should pack an overnight bag. He picked me up and asked if I would mind if we stopped at the airport to pick up his schedule for the following week. When we parked in the employee lot and he told me to bring my bag, I started to get suspicious, but didn't say anything. We were in the employee lounge when he told me we were going "somewhere, but it's a surprise".

His co-workers had already gotten the other passengers on board and covered the call sign at the gate so I couldn't tell where the plane was going. As we were taxiing to the runway, the Captain welcomed us to flight XXX to Los Angeles, but he still wouldn't provide any details. We got to LA (several glasses of champagne later) and gathered our luggage. I followed him thru the airport and out the door to the Magical Express bus. It wasn't until then that I knew! We had a great 2 night stay.

(I tell my now-husband this story all the time to let him know what he has to live up to on this trip, but so far all I'm getting are eye rolls!)

Wishing you lots of pixie dust!pixiedust:

Beautiful blog post. My husband and I have been to the World three times for day trips over our 14 years together - always while visiting family in Florida. We're going for a week by ourselves in October of this year for our first on-property stay as a belated honeymoon/early anniversary. (We were married in March in Provincetown.) We've never had any problems at all on any of our trips.

My best date was to DisneyLand about 20 years ago. I was dating a flight attendant and he told me that we were going to a friend's party and would be there pretty late so I should pack an overnight bag. He picked me up and asked if I would mind if we stopped at the airport to pick up his schedule for the following week. When we parked in the employee lot and he told me to bring my bag, I started to get suspicious, but didn't say anything. We were in the employee lounge when he told me we were going "somewhere, but it's a surprise".

His co-workers had already gotten the other passengers on board and covered the call sign at the gate so I couldn't tell where the plane was going. As we were taxiing to the runway, the Captain welcomed us to flight XXX to Los Angeles, but he still wouldn't provide any details. We got to LA (several glasses of champagne later) and gathered our luggage. I followed him thru the airport and out the door to the Magical Express bus. It wasn't until then that I knew! We had a great 2 night stay.

(I tell my now-husband this story all the time to let him know what he has to live up to on this trip, but so far all I'm getting are eye rolls!)

Wishing you lots of pixie dust!pixiedust:

That is the most adorable story I've ever heard. I love it. I would kill for someone like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter