Haunted Mansion problem today

Leajess99

DIS Veteran
My friend is at Disney right now and just called me all freaked out. She and her 5 year old son went on HM and she said all of a sudden the ride stopped and an announcement came over to stay seated. Then she said there were CMs running by the seats they were sitting in and telling people to stay seated. She said they were stuck there for an hour and five minutes. If anyone else who is there or a CM knows what happened could you please share as she is now freaked out as is her son and they do not plan to ever ride that ride again. I feel bad for her as her trip is not going like she really wanted it to family wise and now this.

rides malfunction from time to time. i was stuck on that ride once with my 4 year old - but only for about 10 minutes. we also have been stuck on splash mountain, snow white, and winnie the pooh...though none for as long as your friend.

tell her to brush it off...it's over with. take a deep breath - remember she's at Disney!!! :goodvibes ...go have a mickey ice cream treat and enjoy the rest of the trip.

I think its all a matter of perspective. We've been stuck on several rides the longest being POTC. I take it in stride and sometimes have enjoyed it as I've gotten to see more detail - especially when they had to walk us out of a ride :goodvibes. However, I can understand someone who is there on a once in a lifetime trip with maybe only one busy day at MK freaking out. It would be a disappointment to lose over an hour when there's not enough time to see what you want to see anyway.

The Haunted Mansion has stopped every time I've ridden it recently. Usually only for a few minutes, but sometimes a couple times in one ride.
It just happens.
It's also possible that people were getting up, which may have made the stop longer than it would have been if people would have just stayed seated.

Happens all the time. We were on once when it continually would stop. Although not for an hour but it took us about an hour to finish the ride.

But on the bright side rest your feet and soak up some AC

I think continuous loaders like HM tend to stop whenever someone has to transfer from a wheelchair or ECV into or out of the ride vehicle. I know I've been "stuck" on HM practically every time I've ridden it, but only for a few minutes at a time.
This wouldn't explain the hour and 5 minutes, though. Wonder why they didn't just walk the people out?

I think its all a matter of perspective. We've been stuck on several rides the longest being POTC. I take it in stride and sometimes have enjoyed it as I've gotten to see more detail - especially when they had to walk us out of a ride :goodvibes. However, I can understand someone who is there on a once in a lifetime trip with maybe only one busy day at MK freaking out. It would be a disappointment to lose over an hour when there's not enough time to see what you want to see anyway.

We got stuck for 30+ min on POTC once at the point in the begining that you hear "dead men tell no tales". I'd be happy now if they took that phrase out of the ride, I have heard it enough for everyone!

Try getting stuck on It's a Small World, then you can freak out, anyone that has to hear that tune for more than 10 minutes at a time should get free FP for the entire trip!

Sorry that happened to them. I would HATE to get "stuck" where the bride is listening to that noise and heartbeat for an hour. I've been stuck in there also for 10 minutes or so. I also understand why she'd be freaked. I would not like to be sitting there for an hour with a five year old. I teach Kindergarten and can't imagine a five year old having to stay still for that long. I would not be pleased. Just thought I'd chime in with a empathy post instead of flames.

Yes, rides stop but I think the OP's point was the amount of time stuck on the ride.
To be honest, I would freak out a bit because I could easily think of some "worst case scenarios" while I would be sitting there letting my imagination run wild as to the reason we were stopped so long (fire, crazy person running around, etc.).

Try getting stuck on It's a Small World, then you can freak out, anyone that has to hear that tune for more than 10 minutes at a time should get free FP for the entire trip!

When we were there Halloween week last year, we got stuck on It's a Small World for 20 minutes. I was officially done with that ride. It was horrible. I swear it took a month to recover.!

We also got stuck on HM, Dinosaur, TSM, Star Tours, POTC, Spaceship Earth, Nemo, Jungle Cruise, Kilimanjaro Safari, Stitch, and Splash Mountain. I swear, I thought we were cursed.

Yes, rides stop but I think the OP's point was the amount of time stuck on the ride.
To be honest, I would freak out a bit because I could easily think of some "worst case scenarios" while I would be sitting there letting my imagination run wild as to the reason we were stopped so long (fire, crazy person running around, etc.).

Not only the time, but with a 5yo who might have been scared. I know when we were stuck on HM (only about 10 minutes), I was with DS#1, and we were stuck at the one place that he covers his eyes for. The only spot, but just our luck that trip.

Ok, I've been stuck on the Haunted Mansion for a longish period -- but my only thought was, "dang, why couldn't it be in front of the ballroom scene." I did get to spend some extended time next to my favorite "donald" chair. . . It was one evening after a convention. I texted my daughter back home while sitting there - when she told my husband, he said, "Was she in front of the ballroom scene -- they are never going to get her to evacuate if she's in front of the ballroom scene. . ." I could easily sit there for an hour. . .

LOL! OMG I don't think I could stand getting stuck on SW, that would be torture :rotfl:

[Try getting stuck on It's a Small World, then you can freak out, anyone that has to hear that tune for more than 10 minutes at a time should get free FP for the entire trip![/QUOTE]

What's to get freaked out about? Haunted Mansion is one of the coolest and least scariest rides to get stuck on..even if it is for an hour. Atleast is wasn't Tower of Terror or something...it could be worse!

But break downs happen a lot on those slow moving rides. It was probably just a simple ride malfunction. If it was something serious, they'd ask the guests to evacuate the ride.

What's to get freaked out about? Haunted Mansion is one of the coolest and least scariest rides to get stuck on..even if it is for an hour. Atleast is wasn't Tower of Terror or something...it could be worse!

But break downs happen a lot on those slow moving rides. It was probably just a simple ride malfunction. If it was something serious, they'd ask the guests to evacuate the ride.

I would def freak if I got stuck on tot for an hour!!! :scared1: :rotfl:

Wow tell her to calm down!! I can't believe they were there for that length of time though, it is very easy to walk through the Haunted Mansion, I have done it myself.

I consider myself a really patient person but there is NO WAY I would sit in the HM car for over an hour to wait.......I have been on plenty of Disney rides that have malfuntioned or stopped working, but nothing longer then 10 mins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter